Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Re: Doom

Post by GameHED »

Don't remake doom 3 then.

Give us a sidestory where you clone demons and control them as bioweapons sort of like pokemon or the monsters you kill in the metroidvania games.

I think Bethesda has a lot of potential to expand the franchise sideways using the popularity of this new game.

In the future corporations have taken over and compete with each other for the best demonic supersoldier bio-technology. Using nanotech they can torture the cyberdemons at will using electronic weapons if they go out of line.
The whole game involves finding the toughest ones and collecting them into your army to fight in future wars. Each mission you are equiped with different demon with different weapon and armor and special abilities.

Sort of like how in fighting games you each have different characters with different moves and stuff. The game would be FPS and instead of just leveling up one human space marine, you control a sqaud of demons and can swap between them GTA5 style during shootouts.

This is the future of doom. We all know Doom has got to evolve. You may not have liked Doom 3 but there are survival horror fans that want stories and shit on top of the action. The genre has moved on. So should doom.
Remember what happened to Tomb Raider? You all thought it was stale but it became a great Unchartered clone.
Why can't they do something like this to Legacy of Kain (give us a total reboot but with Dark Souls style combat - maybe after FF7 remake?) or Doom?

The problem with FPV games is everyone assume it must be primarily about shooting and stuff. But you guys got to understand the exploration is also a part of what makes FPS games enjoyable in general because you are seeing from the eyes of the character and so you are immersed in the environment. If the environments are repetitive mazes and boring environments to explore and find things, people will lose interest quickly. Technology has allowed for more variation in what you do in the environments. (eg destructible walls, bigger battlefields and scenes from a long distance, more objects per area, more persistence so dropped items can be re-visited to restock on low supplies etc)

Doom 2016 worked because it went back to basics, and ignored a lot of the conventions of military shooters but I doubt people will stay interested in that type of game for too long. It's like pretending that old school turn based JRPG should be the only way to go in a time where real time combat is the preferred way to do things. (can't wait for Kingdom Come BTW)

With all the wasted money they spent on making mmo of elder scrolls they could have made a squad fps game of doom which is all about exploration and obtaining forbidden technology from older civilisation to make it about dominance over territories, and using the doom to bring freedom for survivors who were victims of the doom before they weaponised it and used it to their advantage.
(same thing as terminator movies when humans finally hacked the robots so they could reprogram them to work for them and technology could be used for good)
I actually think a Terminator game in an open world would work. Combine some of the vehicular stuff from halo, the exploration of cities from Fallout, and Doom's glory kill system (you are a cyborg working for humans or human in exoskeleton which allows some over the top gorey kills at close range) with the loot system of a diablo game and you have a awesome franchise. But Doom with demons that you can control in squad would be better as the theme is just more survival horror scary. (Doom 3 was all about shadows and trying to scare the shit out of you. That system would work best in a game about exploring places you haven't seen before but falls flat if all you can do is attack. Running away or pulling out of a losing situation should always be an option and open world games do it best by never restricting your path)
It makes more sense that Doom is about fear of the unknown. The survival side of the franchise could be brought back as an open world FPV shooter with actual characters who are interesting. The hero is interesting in Doom 2016 since he is US. We just want to shoot the shit out of anything that moves. But like all videogames that singular purpose can grow tiring if you just do that only. Even 2d mario games which were once linear progression games eventually evolved and went more and more open level (or open world as we see with Super Mario World) with the ability to choose your levels and explore a giant map to skip bits you did. (now it's the convention for all new 2d marios)

What Bethesda need is Doom mixed with Alien Isolation, but RPG upgrade loot system to make you care about your squad surviving, and using Doom 2016 glory kill combat for close range. (that is why the need to have enslaved demons as your soldiers since the vast majority are mostly close range combat - this forces you to see monsters and other bioweapons at close range where it can frighten the shit out of you in the dark areas like Doom 3)
If you are a marine you can just shoot thing from long distance using rifles and stuff like in the COD games which isn't scary because you are engaged from further away. And doom is all about getting close range. The shotgun from doom is iconic weapon. But if you played as a cyberdemon then your own abilities and unique moves become the substitute for that. Modifying your demon to give it cyborg upgrades so it fights differently adds a bit more style to the fighting. So one might have psychic ability to see others behind walls and avoid ambushes, another might be about brute strength and ripping things to shreds, and another might be speed and circle strafing the crap out of groups of enemies and playing with explosives to clear an area of anything but being able to avoid blast damage due to resistence to fire and fast run speed.

The leader would have abilities from all and be the 'hero' and harder to kill. (you have the regenerating health thing like wolverine - the others are like the pawns in Dragon's Dogma which talk as you discover new places to inform you about the lore of the location or what to watch out for to give the player a sense that you are not the only thing around competing for control over territories. This way there is always that element of fear when you go out and venture into new undiscovered loctions that you want to loot for rare ancient tech that can boost your chances of survival. If you can back out of the area it becomes less stressful but you don't get the rewards for taking over the place so you need more player skill to overcome other enemies later if you want to win it quickly. So instead of clearing an entire area and searching everything, and killing any resistence you might only afford to be able to quickly find the thing, and get to the exit since your stats are low. But if you take your time and power up, it gets less risky and less survival horror-ey. (you go from being prey trying to run from monster to becoming the predator hunting the rare tech that can only be found in the highest defended areas with toughest guardians)

In the old days Doom was scary and as graphics got better and you could see more of them at once and your skill got better, the monsters were just cannon fodder enemies you could not respect anymore. But they can make the demons scary again if they handle the gameplay properly by forcing you to explore a lot more than in past games to get the good stuff. You can still kick arse if you have skill, but the skill if not consistent will not be enough to win without going to secret locations and shit and learning about the areas. The problem with "secrets" in the old games is they were just tiny chambers of extra ammo or health. We've gone a long way from those days and modern games have made secrets a lot more interesting than that. Usually when you stumble upon something, its an item or gear that feels one-of-a-kind and changes your playstyle. The mystery of an area is lost so you just cassualy walk around know where all the ambushes points are and traps are set, and then don't even have to think anymore and you get bored. But in bigger open areas you can't do that as it is not a level. The monsters actually roam around freely, you can't just predict where things are anymore and it allows them to surprise you and sneak up on you for once, by hiding in the environment and emerging from out nowhere to get the jump on you. Even if you see them first it might be too late as the rushdown tactics make it hard to respond effectively to mobs so you need a team.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

Grabbed this from JB today for $49. Cheaper than the steam sale? :o
Got a DVD with 7gb of data on it but it doesn't seem to have reduced how much I have to download from steam.
Looking forward to trying out something new on my new RX 480.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Game's like 40 gig on PC from memory. I have to play this game in short bursts because it's giving me motion sickness :(
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

I grabbed it to play on my 1070 about 4 hrs in had a game save issue losing my progress ...
2nd place is the first loser....

Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Doom

Post by Rorschach »

Probably the buggiest new release game I've ever encountered. There never seems to be a consistent issue causing these problems.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

flipswitch wrote:Game's like 40 gig on PC from memory. I have to play this game in short bursts because it's giving me motion sickness :(
Limit the frames to 30 and you'll be fine.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Rorschach wrote:Probably the buggiest new release game I've ever encountered. There never seems to be a consistent issue causing these problems.
I only had one crash with this game, but I've only put in 3.7hrs, so not much.
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

I've had zero crashes...... justy disappeared save game. Actually if anyone has a game save save they can flick (I'm not even sure that's a thing) me I just want to play through the single player. Was about 3-4hrs in.
2nd place is the first loser....

Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Doom

Post by Rorschach »

Doom now apparently supports the Vulkan API for better performance on lower end hardware. Supposedly more frames for every one
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Downloaded the update but didn't have a chance to try it. Will give it a go later on, but already running at plus 100fps ;).
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

Some of the early benchmarks showed jack all benefit to Maxwell cards, not that it matters as I was already 60fps @ 1080p/ultra on my 970 anyway.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

This game is really a ton of fun, motion sickness seems to have gone away and I even tried Vulkan but was playing on my tv.
I'm in the foundry section ( very early for on) and made some progress for a change. I was going in circles trying to go to the next objective, but found it and hit a checkpoint.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

going out for $39 bucks on the suboptimal xbone at Target.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Was tempted to buy the PS4 version from Target. $39 is a great buy.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Rorschach wrote:Was tempted to buy the PS4 version from Target. $39 is a great buy.
Yep, I had to do a double take and google Doom as I'm like that just came out last month it can't be the same one but there is no other. This is a good example why I always go to Target for new games these days since their policy of best price first time and then any left over stock they aggressively price to go.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

How do you enable Vulkan? I started Doom and there didn't seem to be an option anywhere to enable it? Or am I blind?
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

It's in one of the video options , right at the top of the list it will say OpenGL, just choose Vulkan.

Switched back to OpenGL because Vulkan is giving me more input lag from my experience and googling around.

My PC was making a whistling sound during the flash screens on booting doom using Vulkan. When I went back to OpenGL it was fine.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Getting back into this, with the improvements of a GTX1080/Gsync 1440p monitor/vulkan/dolby 7.1 headphones, cranking ultra details and 144fps, it honestly doesn't get better than this. The Adrenalin surge and immersion is off the charts now, very happy. :D

I haven't experienced the lag people have said they see in vulkan, I am running the DPC latency fix nvidia drivers, not sure if they patched vulkan recently either, but all good here.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Did you try OC the display to 165hz?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

No I haven't bothered, 144hz is already a stupid high framerate that I really can't see the benefit in another 20hz, I've done tests over the years and basically I found anything above 80hz perceptually wasn't noticeable.

One issue I have found with 144hz is forza doesn't like it. The game engine has some weird frame pacing issues if you use an unlocked framerate, you can't cap the framerate to 60hz because 144hz isn't a nice multiple of 60hz, so I find using 120hz and capping the in game fps to 60fps delivers a stutter free experience.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

New patch released today adds a new game mode (Doom Soccer???) and also BOTS IN MULTIPLAYER!!!

Time for a LAN methinks.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In an interesting twist, the devs have removed denuvo from Doom, someone posted that it's related to a no crack time guarantee that the makers of denuvo give, if it's cracked they can get a refund but like any refund they need to return the product, ie remove the protection. Interesting...
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

The patch is huge, nearly 12 gigs. Hoping it runs even better without Denuvo.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

60hrs for me to download the patch on Optus. 29gb from 1.00 to 1.09.

Fml.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

FFS, another patch, this game is massive as it is, had to remove it off my SSD.