"Changes to Playnow and what has transpired."

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

"Changes to Playnow and what has transpired."

Post by BOOMY »

Hey guys I am prolly sacrificing my PN membership so you can read this but anyway just thought you'd like to see Ilce's latest PN thread which dictates what happened and is locked. Not like there is a thousand people over here who know the truth...still half way thru reading this myself but so far it seems ilce thinks he can feed(more like dictate) people ignorance with a spoon.
Many of you may have noticed the recent changes and happening at PlayNOW recently.

A long summary. Most people interested will read it all me thinks.

Nov/Dec 2004 a PC game called WOW was released. Unknown to me and for 6 months after that it was a revolution and enigma that sweep the gaming word. I was one of the people to join the PlayNOW guild 5 months after Twizo created it here.

Before I started playing WOW I was amazed at just how much hate the game was generating even back then. At the request of Twizo I created a forum which he moderated for the game as it was gaining quite following amongst the forums. I was getting PM’s weekly telling me to remove the newly created forum, and was told it wasn’t fair on the rest of the forums for the people in that guild to have their own forum. I wasn’t playing the game, never thought I would as my social life was on a very big high as back in late 2003 I had split with my wife and basically was touring the world, going out every night and generally not playing games up until I meet my current GF at which ttime I settled down again. But again I saw no problem with the PlayNOW community being represented by this guild. I saw the potential of the forums being represented by a game that had such a large online community. It gave PlayNOW forums an opportunity to expand and gave members somewhere to go if they felt like MMO that welcomed PlayNOW members without bias.

So after a bit of persuasion by Sveky and DJ Fusion I join the WOW community in March/April 2005. I was considered a late starter. At about the same time the Xbox Live forums were made to accommodate the Live community. These forums were there for people to discuss Live games and meetups. But at no point was there ever restrictions on Live/Xbox being talked about in the main forums (this is very important to remember for later)

Back to WOW..

The game is all about people. People who you can talk to, game with and laugh with whenever you feel like it. The people who are part of PlayNOW Guild are probably the most easy going people I have ever met in my life, and when I say met I have met a lot of them. It shows in the act of actually wanting to get together and meet up socially that you aren’t playing with these people just because you have to, its because you want to. Eventually these people became part of PlayNOW also. Have contributed to the forums in their own way and have never intentionally caused friction or tension with other members. Something that was all a one-way street by the people who have recently decided they have had enough.

Back to the forums… well as time went by it seemed a few members came to despise everything about the game even though it made absolute no impact in the other forums and the posting of other member, basically there was a group of people being threatened by something that wasn’t there.

So started the abuse from forum members directed at other forum members who were not considered real PlayNOW.

Gaming evolves, as does forums, as does what people play. If the reason for their hatred was because some regular members stopped playing console games, other online games or whatever, it was their choice and somehow in the end they got blamed for enjoying a game that was for them fun.

Every now and then, and I mean that lightly, a WOW post was made in the main forums in relation to maybe guild progress or something a few members might have taken interest in just to give other members a perspective of what was going on in WOW. Same as any other Live thread that was posted about info other people might find interesting. These posts were met with such hatred towards the posters and half the forum membership that at some points they had to be closed as all the were was a beacon for the unexplainable hatred some forum members had for the game.

It would seem strange that at no point that I can remember had Live/Live members been abused in any equivalent way for their choice in games and their posting of live related material in the general forums which as a number of posts far exceeded by hundreds of posts anything WOW related posted in the main forums.

Also around the same time, PlayNOW had its yearly GOTY votes. What followed was a travesty again that was headed by a few members that just couldn’t accept that WOW could be so popular and possibly win by numbers. What happen is so sad many people should really consider why they even play games. A group of people (headed by the Live community) decided to change all their votes and make sure WOW would not win just to spite what would have been a majority opinion of all PlayNOW forum members. A lot of innocent posters from the WOW part of PlayNOW were abused for no reason other that posting their votes.

Now it slowly came to my realisation that there was a group of people in these forums who considered themselves above the laws and of higher status than any other member. This was soon to be their downfall.

History of Admin..

DJ and I have been admins for the last 3-4 years. I started playing wow about 1 year ago. Apparently this forum has been going downhill since we became admins, but if you look at the stats.. over the last 2 years these forums have been busier than they were ever pre 2000 (actually the busiest they have ever been if you look at poster usage). This is fact (not PlayNOW fact J but fact), the bandwidth this place uses is very high. Over the last 3 years the moderation done at these forums has been next to nothing. Very rarely DJ or I would have to moderate anything. A very rare ban here and there.. Some offensive pics were removed, but overall this place was a FFA.

That was until some of the membership started attacking members due to their game choice. The group of forum posters who considered themselves the upper echelon of the forums where soon to realise that eventually their attitude would stop being tolerated.

Well at some point in time 1-2 moths back these misguided forum members had finally abused innocent members for the last time. As a result a few people were banned until they cooled down. We don’t moderate much but even I had enough of the abuse that was directed at the admins of these forums as a result of those bannings (as would any admin of any forum) and people got banned. Some didn’t want to cool down and went on a public campaign to slur and defame the administration. Now again other forums would never have let these people back in, but due to the history of some posters they were allowed to return (but with limited privileges for a while)

So recently those same people started stirring trouble again and this time they were remove permanently as well as a few others who just didn’t get it.

Threats were made that some of these members would create their own site and take members with them. That was their choice and in the end I decided to help it happen with the removal of everyone who considered himself or herself untouchable.

When people make an ultimatum like that where there needs a choice to be made between two group, I will always chose the group that isn’t asking for the choice to be made. So with a happy Kthxbye, I say farewell to those people gladly.

But let it be known, the reason these forums have now changed was because of the blind hate and intolerance of some of the people who have left. To the rest who left to be with their friends I thank you for your contribution over the years and hope you enjoy your future gaming.

For the rest continue to enjoy PlayNOW, be it for any game you like playing/talking about or just the fact you like coming here. From: Australia, NSW | Registered: Dec 99 | IP: Logged |
Jizz, sonic, pat, mech etc care to retort?
Last edited by BOOMY on 07 Jul 2006 04:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

ilce is a fucking moron.

PS. He is very good at trying to spin it.
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

I think the way 90% of the non wow guild players have moved here speaks for itself, there's no need to retort.

If he was actualy right about anything, the trouble makers would be banned and you would be discussing this with everyone else at PlayNOW! right now.
mech
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

aaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha, who made the hitler comparison the other day? I'm currently reading Albert Speer's book on Nazi Germany, and I'm at the bit right at the end of the war, and ilce so sounds like Hitler it ain't funny! Paranoid, delusional, and utterly convinced that somehow he's right, despite all evidence to the contrary. It's everyone else's fault but his.

I love that spin... omg it's just stunning. He's acting as if he's been the nice guy who's put up with so fucking much from the rest of us all these years, ahahahaha.

The guy is batshit psycho, full stop. I can't believe he's an admin there. I can't believe how he's trying to spin destroying PlayNOW. What a fucking idiot.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Yea totally, perhaps this is only from my perspective but its almost as if he's dumped any banning that has ever happened in with the recent XBL/WOW event.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

key word there untouchable...
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

The only one thinking they're above the rules is himself. And he was above the rules. But it didn't mean other people would sit by and let him fuck their forum experiences. In a way, it's a good thing. This forum is a fresh start without a retard admin.

It's a pity ilce had to change so much. He used to be a pretty good admin/poster.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

That actually should have been posted here,where the target audience could read it.
mech

Post by mech »

mxlegend99 wrote:The only one thinking they're above the rules is himself. And he was above the rules. But it didn't mean other people would sit by and let him fuck their forum experiences. In a way, it's a good thing. This forum is a fresh start without a retard admin.

It's a pity ilce had to change so much. He used to be a pretty good admin/poster.
I personally think he's just showing more of his core personality. The glimpses I saw years ago showed a highly aggressive, highly delusional personality.

Seriously, what kind of fucktard things it's funny or okay to slag off someone mum who's recently passed away? He's one of the few people who I'd actually quite like to deck in real life.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

I read about his bagging out of a persons mother who had died... that's kind of pathetic. In real life, he'd have his ass kicked by the person he was doing it to.... and rightly so.
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

But he was doing us a favour guys! HE WAS BANNING US FOR OUR OWN GOOD!
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Oh do I make the list, mech? :D

Amongst the delusions this would be the most significant false statement
a few members came to despise everything about the game even though it made absolute no impact in the other forums and the posting of other member
This is the biggest thing shit to go down at PN even before thoughts of moving came about.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

geez ilce is a nice bloke isn't he? :lol: :dblthumbs:

ok for starters he's blaming the XBL crew for this goty debacle but I didn't even realise it was going on, I think pat was the only one trying to influence voters... if it wes about XBL we wouldn't have asked everyone to vote for resident evil 4.

also I should point out that XBL is made up of many games, game that also have single player modes, games that can be played by those without an XBL account... of course these games will be mentioned in the games forum.

WoW is 1 game, there's 4 forums for 1 game, most people didn't give a shit because about those forums or the new members.
ilce saw what happened when the ragnoros (whatever) thread was created in the games forum... so he went and ANNOUNCED/STICKIED another WoW thread in the games forum, a vid montage... clearly a hostile move.

he banned people left, right and centre and removed the XBL forum, massive over-reaction and it's now clear he has a hatred for XBL bigger than anyones hatred for WoW.
I mean what did XBL have to do with anything anyway?

one thing I noticed he said is he banned those who abused admin and thought they were above the law, but we saw evidence of how his personal views came into play.
for example I remember seeing candy rip into him more than anyone else, he escaped the ban stick because ilce liked him, same thing in the goldeneye thread.

we all saw what happened, everyone knows he ruined the playnow we know.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

What he fails to udnerstand is that Live related postings in the general games forum were generally to do with new features for live on the console or talk about live features for a new GAME. The difference is WOW threads to do with a raid they did last night etc should be kept to the WOW forums as were Live threads concerning the previous nights live gaming or making times for the next one.

I seriously can't believe he got that shitty that people fucked around to make WOW lose the GOTY thing ffs. Who gives a toss, it's a thread on a forum ffs lol.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
mech

Post by mech »

Nah Boomy. Neither you or selfish make that list. I'd probably end up buying you a beer or something. I don't tend to hold forum grudges over into real life :D
Sonic Jam

Post by Sonic Jam »

I hold a grudge against fucktards who claim to play DOA4 on XBox LIVE! but actualy don't.

NOT NAMING NAMES OR ANYTHING :D
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Well, you obviously have pretty high standards for people making that list. Goes to show how much of a dick ilce is.
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

The grammar in the topic heading makes me cry ... :(
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Lucky for me its copied and pasted :P
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

It's the title of the thread at PN.

What has happened I ask.
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

Its right up there with "A long summary"
Candy Arse wrote:
Lepo the Legend gave me his pair for free.
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

Cletus wrote:It's the title of the thread at PN.

What has happened I ask.
Incorrect it's "what have happened" ... :wink:
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Re: Changes To Playnow and What have transpired.

Post by Seraph »

BOOMY wrote:Hey guys I am prolly sacrificing my PN membership so you can read this but anyway just thought Ilce's latest PN thread which dictates what happened and is locked. Not like there is a thousand people over here who know the truth...still half way thru reading this myself but so far it seems ilce thinks he can feed(more like dictate) people ignorance with a spoon.
Many of you may have noticed the recent changes and happening at PlayNOW recently.
Correction: those able to view the forum. Let's continue.
A long summary. Most people interested will read it all me thinks.
See above.
Nov/Dec 2004 a PC game called WOW was released. Unknown to me and for 6 months after that it was a revolution and enigma that sweep the gaming word. I was one of the people to join the PlayNOW guild 5 months after Twizo created it here.

Before I started playing WOW I was amazed at just how much hate the game was generating even back then. At the request of Twizo I created a forum which he moderated for the game as it was gaining quite following amongst the forums. I was getting PM’s weekly telling me to remove the newly created forum, and was told it wasn’t fair on the rest of the forums for the people in that guild to have their own forum. I wasn’t playing the game, never thought I would as my social life was on a very big high as back in late 2003 I had split with my wife and basically was touring the world, going out every night and generally not playing games up until I meet my current GF at which ttime I settled down again. But again I saw no problem with the PlayNOW community being represented by this guild. I saw the potential of the forums being represented by a game that had such a large online community. It gave PlayNOW forums an opportunity to expand and gave members somewhere to go if they felt like MMO that welcomed PlayNOW members without bias.
Yes, some people didn't like WoW. There was Halo hate too, and PS2 hate, and Sonic Heroes hate too. Somehow we managed to survive.
So after a bit of persuasion by Sveky and DJ Fusion I join the WOW community in March/April 2005. I was considered a late starter. At about the same time the Xbox Live forums were made to accommodate the Live community. These forums were there for people to discuss Live games and meetups. But at no point was there ever restrictions on Live/Xbox being talked about in the main forums (this is very important to remember for later)
Incomparable. Xbox Live is a service for a system, and most XBL games are games that happen to have some sort of XBL mode or support. For example, Halo 2 is an XBL game, but by far the most talked about aspect of the game is its single player mode, storyling and (tee hee) ending. WoW needed a forum of its own because of the complexity of the game, just as Halo 2's multiplayer modes needed an XBL forum because of how different it was to the single player campaign and the general game discussion it garnered. To use WoW as an example, there's a reason why the boards were eventually split into 4 areas - to better cater to the various users. But I digress. Let's move on.

Back to WOW..

The game is all about people. People who you can talk to, game with and laugh with whenever you feel like it. The people who are part of PlayNOW Guild are probably the most easy going people I have ever met in my life, and when I say met I have met a lot of them. It shows in the act of actually wanting to get together and meet up socially that you aren’t playing with these people just because you have to, its because you want to. Eventually these people became part of PlayNOW also. Have contributed to the forums in their own way and have never intentionally caused friction or tension with other members. Something that was all a one-way street by the people who have recently decided they have had enough.
In case you've forgotten, ilce, what they had enough of, was you not letting them play their games - exactly what you're apparently sick of. Pot. Kettle. Black.
Back to the forums… well as time went by it seemed a few members came to despise everything about the game even though it made absolute no impact in the other forums and the posting of other member, basically there was a group of people being threatened by something that wasn’t there.
Yeah, I noticed one member who was so threatened by the XBL members that he refused two of them entry, and then deleted the whole forum.
So started the abuse from forum members directed at other forum members who were not considered real PlayNOW.

Gaming evolves, as does forums, as does what people play. If the reason for their hatred was because some regular members stopped playing console games, other online games or whatever, it was their choice and somehow in the end they got blamed for enjoying a game that was for them fun.
I don't recall a single member of Playnow being turned on because of playing WoW. If you can name one, please, feel free.
Every now and then, and I mean that lightly, a WOW post was made in the main forums in relation to maybe guild progress or something a few members might have taken interest in just to give other members a perspective of what was going on in WOW. Same as any other Live thread that was posted about info other people might find interesting. These posts were met with such hatred towards the posters and half the forum membership that at some points they had to be closed as all the were was a beacon for the unexplainable hatred some forum members had for the game.
Through fault on both sides, there was much tension between WoW and non-WoW players. Ultimately, the fact that both admins were WoW players, had a history of power abuse, and were attacking anyone that gave a negative opinion on WoW, were what fed this hatred. If just one open, honest debate about the pros and cons of a game like WoW had been allowed to run its course without fear of mod intervention/retribution, none of this would have happened.
It would seem strange that at no point that I can remember had Live/Live members been abused in any equivalent way for their choice in games and their posting of live related material in the general forums which as a number of posts far exceeded by hundreds of posts anything WOW related posted in the main forums.
The reasons why XBL threads were sometimes in the main area were two-fold: first, because often the thread would be hijcaked in that direction after talking about that game's offline components - secondly because none of the XBL games being played needed the threadspace that WoW needed. The whole reason WoW was originally moved to a separate board was because it was garnering so much interest that there was concern over the board being overrun with threads about meet-up times, equipment listing, guild apps, etc. Similarly, all the meet-up and "what XBL game should we all get next?" were in the XBL forum, not the main forum, for the same reason.
Also around the same time, PlayNOW had its yearly GOTY votes. What followed was a travesty again that was headed by a few members that just couldn’t accept that WOW could be so popular and possibly win by numbers. What happen is so sad many people should really consider why they even play games. A group of people (headed by the Live community) decided to change all their votes and make sure WOW would not win just to spite what would have been a majority opinion of all PlayNOW forum members. A lot of innocent posters from the WOW part of PlayNOW were abused for no reason other that posting their votes.
Yeah, no argument there. That entire thing was just ridiculous.
Now it slowly came to my realisation that there was a group of people in these forums who considered themselves above the laws and of higher status than any other member. This was soon to be their downfall.

History of Admin..

DJ and I have been admins for the last 3-4 years. I started playing wow about 1 year ago. Apparently this forum has been going downhill since we became admins, but if you look at the stats.. over the last 2 years these forums have been busier than they were ever pre 2000 (actually the busiest they have ever been if you look at poster usage). This is fact (not PlayNOW fact J but fact), the bandwidth this place uses is very high.
And much of this is no doubt due to the influx of members from the WoW contingent. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's great. But be aware that most of the new members have been coming for the WoW stuff, that you've looked after very well, not the main section, of which you're accused of neglecting/abusing.
Over the last 3 years the moderation done at these forums has been next to nothing. Very rarely DJ or I would have to moderate anything. A very rare ban here and there.. Some offensive pics were removed, but overall this place was a FFA.

That was until some of the membership started attacking members due to their game choice. The group of forum posters who considered themselves the upper echelon of the forums where soon to realise that eventually their attitude would stop being tolerated.

Well at some point in time 1-2 moths back these misguided forum members had finally abused innocent members for the last time. As a result a few people were banned until they cooled down. We don’t moderate much but even I had enough of the abuse that was directed at the admins of these forums as a result of those bannings (as would any admin of any forum) and people got banned. Some didn’t want to cool down and went on a public campaign to slur and defame the administration. Now again other forums would never have let these people back in, but due to the history of some posters they were allowed to return (but with limited privileges for a while)

So recently those same people started stirring trouble again and this time they were remove permanently as well as a few others who just didn’t get it.
I note that you've spent the majority of this post pointing out all the WoW hate, and then carefully neglecting to mention that the recent troubles had NOTHING TO DO WITH WOW WHATSOEVER. All I ask is this - if you refused to close the WoW forums because people should be allowed to play what they want whether or not they're liked by some of the other members here, why didn't that courtesy extend to people in the XBL forums? Again. Pot, kettle, black.
Threats were made that some of these members would create their own site and take members with them. That was their choice and in the end I decided to help it happen with the removal of everyone who considered himself or herself untouchable.
You didn't help make it happen, you tried to stop them going anywhere, by removing links to the site, banning people that offered to host, banning people that you thought were dissident, and shutting down the forum.
When people make an ultimatum like that where there needs a choice to be made between two group, I will always chose the group that isn’t asking for the choice to be made. So with a happy Kthxbye, I say farewell to those people gladly.

But let it be known, the reason these forums have now changed was because of the blind hate and intolerance of some of the people who have left. To the rest who left to be with their friends I thank you for your contribution over the years and hope you enjoy your future gaming.

For the rest continue to enjoy PlayNOW, be it for any game you like playing/talking about or just the fact you like coming here.
So is that why the XBL forum is gone? Is that why the WoW forums are now listed above the Games forum and General forum? The message sent with the WoW forum above the General and Games forum is that the WoW section is more important.

In a few days, when the art competition winner has been decided, and WoW logos adorn the splash page of PlayNow, will be still be asked to believe that the only changes made are in the name of removing idiots?
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Cardsy wrote:
Cletus wrote:It's the title of the thread at PN.

What has happened I ask.
Incorrect it's "what have happened" ... :wink:
What have transpired between us that you think you can corret me?
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

RIP PlayNOW. :(

At least most of the sane members have or will make their way over here. Well, somewhat sane at least, since I'm here and all.