Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Awwww...

We all wuv yuo Rat!
mech
Phase 3: Profit!
Phase 3: Profit!

Post by mech »

Sonic Jam wrote:I hold a grudge against fucktards who claim to play DOA4 on XBox LIVE! but actualy don't.

NOT NAMING NAMES OR ANYTHING :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I should be on XBL tonight and Sunday. Hopefully.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Cletus wrote:
Cardsy wrote:
Cletus wrote:It's the title of the thread at PN.

What has happened I ask.
Incorrect it's "what have happened" ... :wink:
What have transpired between us that you think you can corret me?
I'll vericate it if you like.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

:rollin:
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I went back to look over the infamous GOTY thread. Here is what I wrote:
Ambrose Burnside wrote::roll: @ people changing their votes to try and prevent a WoW win.

I stand by that too. I didn't vote for WoW, nor did I change my votes, which were as follows:

3 votes: Metal Gear Solid 3
2 votes: GTA: San Andreas
1 vote: Half-Life 2

I was annoyed at having to vote for 2004 games (again) and that BF2 wasn't nominated though :(

Pat summed that thread up nicely though:
Pat wrote:I think the Resident Evil 4 campaign showed two things.

1. The majority of PlayNOW seem to believe the GOTY process is broken, and that last years games should not be included.

2. World of Warcraft really is a special case. It came out 40 days before the end of 2004. However Half Life 2 and Halo 2 have no place in the poll.

Ignoring the RE4 campaign votes, WoW won.

But next year is for 2006 games only. Otherwise we will see the same kind of thing happen all over again.
I still don't really understand where the tension came from between WoW players and haters. It's true that most WoW players didn't venture out of the WoW forums, but I don't really care that they were able to vote for the game they thought was GOTY.

But yeah, banning most of PlayNOW!? :down: I think each section (Games and Hardware, OT, Xbox Live) should have had an admin with equal "power" (such a ridiculous thing to talk about with regards to a videogame forum ffs) to ilce in each non-WoW sections of PlayNOW!

I think we'll all still be at PlayNOW! if that had happened.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

Hey, from down there does it look like I'm talking into a bunch of robot penises? hehehehehehehe sweet.
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

As a spectator to all of this I have to admit it's all quite funny.

It is sad that Playnow! is pretty much no more, but as others have mentioned, a fresh start here has been a good thing. This forum is booming, and I hope it continues to do so. :up:

I'm sure all of the WoW people there will continue to use and enjoy the forum, but the core of Playnow! has well and truly left, taking with it the original spirit of the Playnow! forums.

In summary, the change is a good thing. Plus games-ranch is a humourous name (better when shortened to TGR).

I don't care if the thread title is a quote. Can it pleased be changed to correct grammar. Can't stand seeing it as it is!!! :evil:
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

Only if you captialise the j in your name ;)
Pointy Cat
What Amazing!
What Amazing!

Post by Pointy Cat »

Lawlers at CA's pic. :lol:
DjBigK
Snoochy Boochies!
Snoochy Boochies!

Post by DjBigK »

Seraph wrote:Only if you captialise the j in your name ;)
Shoosh. That's traditional damnit.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yeah the GOTY debacle was pretty bad. There was a concerted effort let by Pet* to ensure Madden 2005 didn't win the PN award in 05, even though it was easily the most deserving game.

*False name supplied due to legal reasons
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

The title is edited but let it been known what have transpired here will remain part of GR injoke-dom forever.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

seraph if you get anymore unbiased, candy is gonna start feeling threatened. ;)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

He's already a long-term member of Team Unbiased.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

it shows. :up:
Shaneus
Rank AAA
Rank AAA
XBL ID: Shaneus
PSN ID: Shaneus2k2
Steam ID: Shaneus2k2

Post by Shaneus »

BOOMY wrote:The title is edited but let it been known what have transpired here will remain part of GR injoke-dom forever.
It may be a new in-joke, but changing the thread title have ruined the spirit of the thread itself :(
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

It should be noted that I remember ilce transpiring with me to tamper with the 2004 GOTY result and announce PGR2, Madden and some other game as the top 3.

All for shits and giggles of course then the real winners announced a few days later.

I think that didn't happen because Candy was heavily into his "Unbiased phase" at the time.

It's a pity we lost that ilce however we haven't lost that atmosphere.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

He's obviously had a pretty tough time with the marraige break-up and all, and his views on life have changed a lot, which I understand and sympathise about entirely.

From what a few of you have mentioned about how consuming WoW can be, ie. that post before in another thread about the guy quitting uni, his job and his social life, just to play WoW all day, it sounds like he's just doing the same. (Obviously not to the same extreme) A marraige break-up will more than likely do that to a person.

He's basically imploded socially and the main focus in his life has shifted from normal life (ie being married, working and playing games for fun) to just WoW. And here we all were hanging shit on (seemingly) the one thing he cares about.

The sad thing about it all is that we all know how easy he arcs up about trivial shit, and the fact that he's admin of the very forum we visited to pay out on his one love. A pretty potent cocktail, I'm sure you'll all agree.

What any "normal" (and I say that because of the fact that he can get so aggrevated about bugger-all) mod or admin should have done is turn the other cheek. Dj, although not a fan of WoW (AFAIK) knows exactly how to do just that.

It's been a pretty average turn of events, and it's a real shame that PlayNOW as we know it had to die through the actions of an admin that shouldn't have been.

I remember thinking when I was reading the Goldeneye thread, FFS dude, it's just a forum, and you don't even read half of the shit we write anyway, but when I heard about the marraige break-up, then I started to understand his thought processes. I've seen things like that have monumental effects on people, they start looking for something to 'matter' again. And it looks like WoW was Ilce's. If he wasn't admin, I'm pretty sure we would never have seen him again in normal gaming circles. Actually if he didn't have the ties that he does with his guild mate who runs the joint, then I'm definitely sure (because of his wound-up nature) he wouldn't even be a moderator in the first place, and we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

It's turned out for the better IMO overall... Games Ranch as I'm seeing it has the potential to evolve into the PlayNOW we all used to love, and better, and that's a really good thing. :up:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

General Chaos wrote:I think that didn't happen because Candy was heavily into his "Unbiased phase" at the time.
Phase? :?
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

You've always been a champion of "Team Unbiased" I think the word was you were taking things highly seriously and such actions would be frowned on.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I actually am an unbiased gamer, but maybe I pushed the bandwagon a little too far. Still I hope to maybe convert Pat one day.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Pat

Post by Pat »

2005 PlayNOW GOTY incident

I think this needs explaining. Firstly: a disclaimer. Ive deleted my old msn logs so all of which I say here cannot be proven. However, as true as I am hyped for Prey, this is what happened.

Between maybe June and August of 2005, and perhaps just before November 2005 when the GOTY nominations thread was posted, I had a few conversations with ilce. The content of these conversations explicitly concerned the eligibility of games in the poll.

Normally, hell - at any time, this would be a fairly straight forward process. A game released in year X is eligible for GOTY in year X. We dont vote for Goldeneye in GOTYs every year since, do we? (Referring to magazine GOTYs here for example). I said that I thought only 2005 releases, and not WoW should be eligible. The only response I got from ilce was "no - WoW is eligible". WoW placed in the 2004 GOTY awards, out of interest.

Obviously, that's a hard criteria to spin. "All games released in 2005, plus WoW from 2004 are eligible" doesnt exactly sound fair and equal. Along with this, ilce was insistent, as those who have spoken with him before will know. On at least three occasions, he specifically said "WoW will win". This was not a prediction. This was a statement.

When I posted the GOTY nominations, I made the following rule as a concession to ilce and his slightly unstable nature: "All games are eligible, its basically whatever you enjoyed playing most in 2005". Then, after the nominations process had closed, I noticed a flaw in the process. Games were being excluded by others that had been nominated by only two people - and others still getting through with bugger all votes. A nomination process was statistically unreliable as a means to "thin the herd" so to speak- and this is not negotiable. This is a mathematical FACT.

(Out of interest, Metal Gear Solid 3 was the most nominated game, ahead of GTA San Andreas and WoW).

Then I sorted the top 10 most nominated games, and posted the GOTY voting poll. ilce posted a "vote in the GOTY poll" thread in the WoW forum. This encouraged people to vote for GOTY in a forum in which they nominally had ZERO input into. Unfnknblvbl noticed this and challenged the influx of non-participating voters, who only had any interest in playnow when prompted to vote for their favourite game. By ilce, no less - who was insistent and knew full well he had the numbers to get WoW the award.

Of course, that was playnow.

Who was going to stand for such a foregone conclusion without perverting the process in retaliation for an as effective perversion of due course! My issue was that the new posters had no interest in interaction with the PlayNOW forum, aside from their sub-forum, except to say they like WoW. None of them nominated, they only voted. It was ilce's dial-a-mob for his favourite game.

Of course, two can play at that game.

I discussed with unfnkblvbl how we might alter the inevitable course of history. WoW was winning the vote. Could we cause an upset? I insisted we should start a campaign for MGS3. unfnk suggested Resident Evil 4. RE4 was already ahead of MGS3, so we went with that one. Both of us started to message people on msn and irc to vote for RE4. This campaign netted about 20 extra voters for the cause, and the final tally was something like 71-60 in favour of RE4 over WoW.

Little did we know, however, how serious a process this was that we had perverted. I received some quite vitriolic, and grammatically challenged messages from ilce, sputtering that "(I) would neve do the GOTY proces again" (how prophetic!).

His "WoW will win" certainty had been upset, and instead of taking it as a moderately annoying, but ultimately inconsequential event - he took it personally.

Of course - this took a while to come out. The voting thread had been closed and I believe deleted - although noone but myself had tallied the results, so for all intents and purposes the result was publicly unknown.

After informing ilce of the result, I was on the receiving end of some harsh comments. Conceedingly, in an attempt to maintain the peace, I announced WoW as the winner, but not the vote count which was in RE4s favour.

The rent-a-crowd returned to proclaim, and the celebrations of the WoW players began. Of course, this turned sour. I think it might have been (actually, I wont name him) who insisted on saying "thank god RE4 didnt win - that game is shit". This was done in a very gloating manner.

Remember when lambchop said "bo3 ps2 exclsuive, sorry xbots no xbl for yu0" - and then EA anounced XBL support? Yeah - he needed a kick in the balls.

So, in response to RE4 hate, I posted the numbers. Shit, meet fan. The ensuing chaos is pretty much public record as far as PlayNOW regulars go.

unfnk may want to clarify some details, and is welcome to do so.

ilce/DJ - if youre reading this - please delete my playnow account altogether. I wont be using it again even if I were unbanned.

Also, one last little addendum:

After the Ragnaros debacle, I had a conversation with one person who shall remain nameless. This discussion highlights the spectacular hypocrisy of the oversensitive WoW fans who took offense at the rest of PlayNOW. The rest of PlayNOW dishes out and is expected to take crap on any game they like, but for some reason WoW is "untouchable". See for yourself:

Patrick says:
perfect contrast to your pic on how GOOD it could be
thats how i saw it anyway
Bob says:
no, he posted the worst pic he could find.. totaly useless to the conversaion
Patrick says:
id argue it was much more useful than the shit you say sculli and jizz and others had posted
but thats just my impression anyway
Bob says:
how.. I could post a pic of halo 2 in 300x200 res with 10% jpg qulity.. and what would that prove?
Patrick says:
depends what the discussion was about
considering how well the halo 2 ending jokes have been taken i think its fair to say it would be taken as a joke, and nothing more
Bob says:
you ahve been warned.. pat.. act like a dick and i will trat u like a dick.. (snip) have a nice day
I think there's something in that for all of us....

If Halo 2 people of all people can take a joke .....
Ekin

Post by Ekin »

In all honesty no one needed to react the way they did when ilce posted that WoW thread. I was hoping to get some decent discussion out of it but a few people felt offended for some reason. Last time i checked WoW is still a game. The other WoW forums are for mainly guild related stuff and no one outside of the guild visited those forums anyway. So why get upset over a single thread?

ilce is crazy though.