"Changes to Playnow and what has transpired."

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Pat

Post by Pat »

Ekin, you got banned in that thread for posting a pic showing a cluttered version of a WoW interface. That was an overreaction on ilce's part.
Ekin

Post by Ekin »

I know but a few people were against WoW from the very start and the thread started to degenerate from page 1. The video would have been a nice introduction to WoW but a few people preferred to take offense that a WoW thread was in the general gaming section and bag it rather than learn more about the game.

It seems apparent now that the WoW haters just hate MMORPG's.
Scullibundo
V for Thread Derailing
V for Thread Derailing

Post by Scullibundo »

Actually if I remember correctly (and I do) I was comparing it to PSO and explaining why I found WoW's experience to be far less enjoyable. It was around this time that the thread was locked and stickied. I think that's what people took offense to. That is how we saw ilce shoving WoW down our throats. Locking and stickying a topic and deleting negative opinions? PLEASE!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:roofcat: Ceiling cat and I detect the use of superb sarcasm in your post, Pat.
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Does ilce remind anyone else of this bloke?
Spoonfan
On an endless search for Sailors ...
On an endless search for Sailors ...
XBL ID: Segahead
PSN ID: Segahead
Steam ID: neonfrog83

Post by Spoonfan »

President Niyazov of Turkmenistan...

President Niyazov of Turkmenistan...

Coincidence?

PS: I LOVE YOU VZZ
Pat

Post by Pat »

VZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZBXX!
pubba
DDR Athlete

Post by pubba »

I strongly dislike WoW for what it has done to my best friend.

He regularly puts in 10+ hours per day and only stops to either do necessary things (shopping, personal hygeine duties, eating) or go to work.

Now I love videogames, but surely there is a part of your brain that says 'STOP' when it gets to that point..

I suspect Ilce and co may be in the same category as my friend... ie: totally addicted to a fucking video game. Sad really... :(

I stopped posting there because of DJ Fusiowned locking my profile and changing my tage to 'Dopey Fuck' because I had the audacity to say bad things about the PSP..
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

I still disagree with your view on the PSP, I allways thought you left cos of all the arguments we got into about it haha.

But leaving because of admin abuse makes more sense now, looking back a situation like this (admins going batshit insane) was allways on the cards.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Vzzzbx wrote:Does ilce remind anyone else of this bloke?
Link wasn't connecting for me...tried a few times too.

I'll try again tomorrow.
Vzzzbx
Bob Brown’s Rainbow Cumrag
XBL ID: Fairlie Arrow
PSN ID: vzbxvzbx
Steam ID: vzbxvzbx

Post by Vzzzbx »

Cletus, it's the mentalist personality cult leader of Turkmenistan who changed all the days of the week to be named after his family, closed all the hospitals outside Ashgabat, wants an ice palace built in the desert, wrote a book about himself and forces all the people to memorise it, etc.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

That's was an interesting read pat, I didn't know that was going on.
I just remember you asking me to vote for RE4 so I voted for WoW to piss you off, I thought it was just a little joke.

So if you listen to ilce he'll tell you that the XBL community was behind the GOTY debacle, whan in actual fact it was pat and unfnk.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

pubba wrote:I strongly dislike WoW for what it has done to my best friend.

He regularly puts in 10+ hours per day and only stops to either do necessary things (shopping, personal hygeine duties, eating) or go to work.

Now I love videogames, but surely there is a part of your brain that says 'STOP' when it gets to that point..

I suspect Ilce and co may be in the same category as my friend... ie: totally addicted to a fucking video game. Sad really... :(

I stopped posting there because of DJ Fusiowned locking my profile and changing my tage to 'Dopey Fuck' because I had the audacity to say bad things about the PSP..
I'd blame the person's lack of willpower rather than the game. There are plenty of games out there that people get dangerously addicted to.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Interesting history, Pat. Thanks for typing it out for those of us in the dark.

I'm sure WoW is a great game. But I didn't think contributing members of playnow would be its sacrificial lamb to appease its cult members.

There's a fine line between being a dedicated fan of a game and worshipping it. It just seems so stupid that people got banned over one game.

There has to be at least another group to challenge the other side, or forum discussion gets boring. Ironically that's what made playnow funny, seeing fans pimping thier systems or hyping certain titles. And if thier predictions about the game were wrong, the ratings in the reviews for the thing are low, you can gloat about it and rub it in thier face. With all the bannings, I don't think it would be the same playnow.

Maybe someone should add this information in the wikipedia article for future gens, chronicling the rise and fall of the PN forum:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playnow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For those still going there confused what all the fuss is about. I bet there are probably lurkers wondering what is going on, and what that large post from ilce about the changes is for.
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild
XBL ID: westical

Post by westical »

Broncos > *
Last edited by westical on 08 Jul 2006 09:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

yeah we know :)
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild

Post by westical »

Oh good.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Anyway I looked back at older versions of playnow on wikipedia and it seems "the exodus" section was taken out by someone.

So instead of reverting I tried tp put my own version of it in.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... d=62653007
The Exodus
In 2006 July a large group of senior, long-time, contributing members were suddenly banned from the Playnow! forums without warning by administrators to the site due to what is believed to be attacks on members of the World of Warcraft areas of the Playnow! forum by members in the General Discussion area of the Playnow! forum. Changes to the forums were announced in a recent thread by the admin, outlining the reason for these changes (posted: here) to those existing members at Playnow! who were unaware of the shift of a large section of the community.

The contributing members to the playnow forums, after not having the ability to respond due to being blocked from further posting to the Playnow! forums, then formed the Games Ranch forums where many major contributing former members of Playnow! could go to for discussions on games. Due to these changes at Playnow!, it is not uncommon to see members now posting exclusively in the Games Ranch who were unhappy with the changes brought by the admin to the Playnow! forums. In a post by one former contributing member to Playnow! forums, their account of the events are given in a thread at the Games Ranch explaining thier experiences at Playnow! forums prior to thier move to a new gaming discussion forum and also as response to the announcement of the changes brought about by the Admin to Playnow! (which they couldn't ordinarily respond to on the Playnow! forums itself after having been blocked from access).

As a result of the changes, the former community has been split into two main groups, with the first continuing to post at Playnow! as usual, while many older members begin a shift to the Games Ranch gaming discussion forum as thier place to continue to contribute to topics related to gaming as well as general discussion. As there is a split from a major contributing faction away from the Playnow! forums in general games discussion, the World of Warcraft section of the forums has now become the major active portion of Playnow! and general gaming discussion becoming less active as it once was, as more existing Playnow! members decide to post thier topics at Games Ranch forums to continue discussion with the highly-active, long-time senior Playnow! members who could no longer contribute to the Playnow! threads due to the changes and restricted access brought about by the administrator/s of Playnow!.

I think it is an interesting part of PN history. The community makes up the forum. When Playnow was a proper game site with news, cheats, etc I don't think many people even checked that part of the site, because it was mainly the forums that people were going to.

Edit: later versions of my exodus portion looked like they were vandalised/edited a bit. :lol:
Last edited by GameHED on 08 Jul 2006 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

westical wrote:Broncos > *
:roofcat:
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I haven't read the whole thread but a lot of people whose opinions I respect have moved over here so I decided to do the same!
westical
Lockyer's Lovechild
Lockyer's Lovechild

Post by westical »

Candy Arse wrote:
westical wrote:Broncos > *
:roofcat:
:nana:
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Pat wrote:unfnk may want to clarify some details, and is welcome to do so.
Nah, you got is pretty much right, except that I must admit to pushing my own agenda in suggesting RE4 over MGS :D :fight
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Vzzzbx wrote:Cletus, it's the mentalist personality cult leader of Turkmenistan who changed all the days of the week to be named after his family, closed all the hospitals outside Ashgabat, wants an ice palace built in the desert, wrote a book about himself and forces all the people to memorise it, etc.
I've been doing a bit of self improvemnt lately too.