XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Xbox 1.5 is coming

Post by lestat »

http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/25/117742 ... wo-scorpio" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Microsoft has two new Xbox consoles on the horizon, according to reports on Kotaku and corroborated with Polygon's own sources. Those sources also told Polygon that one of those new consoles will be over four times more powerful than the current Xbox One and that the announcement at E3 was triggered by, among other things, a faster than expected timeline for Sony’s own upgraded PlayStation 4. The other console, a slimmed down version of the current hardware, will also be getting a redesigned controller.

The latter is scheduled to be revealed at E3 or at an event shortly before, as plans are currently in discussion. Tom Warren at Polygon sister site The Verge reports that the console will be "40 percent smaller than the current model and will likely include 4K support," which will be for video content specifically, though the existing Xbox One models include scaling hardware to output games at various resolutions. Our sources also confirm that this will be the smallest Xbox ever made.

Current plans have the smaller Xbox One scheduled for release this August. Pricing for the system has not been finalized.

The other console, codenamed Scorpio, is unlikely to be released until late 2017 according to Polygon's sources. It will likely be announced in the next month, though plans are somewhat in flux. Like the all-but-confirmed PS4 "Neo," Scorpio represents an evolution of console generations, one that straddles the line somewhat between an entirely new installment of the Xbox platform and a continuation of the existing Xbox One.

Power is a primary concern for Microsoft with Scorpio. The PS4 has remained a constant leader over the Xbox One in this respect, with games on the platform running at higher resolution and a higher framerate on the PS4 than their Xbox One counterparts. Microsoft is determined to end this narrative.

Originally, Microsoft had no plans to announce Scorpio in 2016, preferring to wait until next year, possibly at their own event prior to E3. This would be in keeping with the company's existing precedent for new hardware launches. This was timed to combat expected plans by Sony to announce and launch the Neo in 2017. However, after GDC, evidence industry-wide has indicated that Sony's timetable for the Neo either has accelerated or was always intended for this Fall. Because of this and other factors, Microsoft is feeling pressure to announce both its new, smaller Xbox One console and the upgraded Scorpio — colloquially referred to internally as Xbox One-Two — at this year's E3, or a last-minute event just prior to the LA convention.
http://kotaku.com/sources-smaller-xbox- ... 1778634446" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We knew it was coming but looks like it's coming several months after PS4K.

Going to be interesting to see how these upgrade boxes affect sales. I hope xbox 1.5 has a much beefier cpu upgrade, I think the mild cpu upgrade in PS4K will hold it back.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Re: Xbox 1.5 is coming

Post by lestat »

The Xbox One is believed to operate a peak target of 1.32 teraflops, compared to the 1.84 teraflop performance numbers attributed to the PS4. Meanwhile, per documents secured by Giant Bomb's Austin Walker — and corroborated by our sources — the PlayStation 4 "Neo," at approximately 2.25 times more powerful than the PS4, is likely to have a peak performance number of 4.14 teraflops.

The current performance target for Microsoft’s Scorpio is approximately 6 teraflops.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

This gen is a joke.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Yep... Sony and MS hate gamers. It makes me want to burn everything I own and never look back.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

This is the dumbest shit I've ever seen. It's all going to bomb horribly for both MS and Sony.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

E3 this year..........madness
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

All aboard Master Race
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Yep, this is pretty gay. Just release the next generation instead and kill off this generation already.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Guessing they're aiming for next year to use HBM2, the wide memory bus would be perfect to ensure backward compatibility with xbox one esram titles. 6TF chip would mean it's going to be quite large too, so they need to wait for yields to improve on 14/16nm gpus, we still haven't got volume GPU parts for PC yet.

We're just getting the hardware we should have got at the beginning of the gen, it's effectively a do over generation.

We'll be stuck on these new consoles for a while, don't see another big jump in gpu process tech for probably another 4 years. PCs will get bigger/hotter chips on the same process over time, but PC has the thermal headroom/wattage for it.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I don't want to buy a new console every few years or so. Sigh. Looks more and more likely I'll just spend all of my time on PC now.
I'm not even interested in upgrading to Neo. I feel sorry for those who only game on consoles, having to upgrade because the current model is obsolete so soon. It's going to be interesting to see how the public react.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

It's weird they're pushing ahead with these hardware updates because this gen (Nintendo aside) has seen such strong sales.

Personally I can't understand why the PS4 and Xbox One have been so successful because they're shit, but obviously your average consumer doesn't give a shit about 1080p let alone 4K, so why the rush to pump out a hardware refresh?
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Console gaming has shit the bed.

It's unbelievable how amazing the 360 was (top 3 consoles ever IMO) and then MS follow it up with the biggest POS console since, what, the Atari Jaguar?

Save us Nintendo...
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Welp, I love this news! :thefinger:

I'd be more than happy with a bi-annual console update at $500 a pop, so long as it's continually backwards compatible which you'd expect would have to be. Oculus Rift support too, I'd be in on that.
Ambrose Burnside

Just spend $500 updating a PC every two years instead.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

What Ambrose said. More bang for buck and there will always be backwards compatibility with your entire library of games. Absolute madness buying into a shorter console lifespan. Looks like my next console will be something Nintendo made...
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Nah. There's a huge immediate outlay for a PC, followed by a big overhaul every 3 years. Bring on Xbox as a service!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

MS needs more superfans like you, Madmya.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I don't fear PC gaming at all, I've had a gaming capable machine the majority of my life. In fact I'm happy if Xbox and PC blurred the lines further. I've committed a lot to the Xbox brand, and it was pretty huge of them to get backwards compatibility going for the One. Shit like that keeps me tied to the brand. I wouldn't be unhappy with heading to PC full time, I just would prefer not to.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

What if you slapped an XBOX sticker on your PC?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

The only problem with console gaming is developers get it into their heads that 30fps is acceptable, so if you give them more power, they'll just use that power to make a better looking 30fps game. I like gaming at 60fps so even with more power these boxes won't satisfy me and I'll be back on a PC where I can make the 60fps dream a reality.

Also 6TF might sound impressive, but next year we'll have large pascal(1080Ti) with HBM2 and probably around 12TF performance, we just got a 9TF card in the 1080. Nvidia flops are usually around 20-30% more efficient than AMD. So it's debatable whether it's worthwhile to upgrade, especially since MS are releasing their games to windows 10 now too.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Halo isn't the system selling brand it once was, so looks like MS are now going to release Halo games on PC too.

http://kotaku.com/sources-smaller-xbox- ... 1778634446" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The two consoles form part of a wider Microsoft strategy, codenamed “Project Helix” according to one source, to converge Xbox and Windows. For a while now Microsoft has been clear that they want their two prestige brands to work together, as they’ve announced big new exclusives like Gears of War 4 and Sea of Thieves for both Xbox One and PC. Developer sources have told us that Microsoft’s new mandate is to release future games–including the flagship Halo series–on both platforms. The recently-cancelled Fable Legends, which was playable across Windows 10 and Xbox One, was one of the first games to implement this strategy.
Ambrose Burnside

They need to fix their Windows Universal Apps thing first. I know it's getting there, but you can say that about every bloody MS thing out there ATM. Everything feels beta :(
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

What's your average PC upgrade include though?

I can't even remember the last time I was able to upgrade my CPU without also having to replace the motherboard and ram at the same time.

Most probably don't understand when you need to just upgrade your GPU over CPU or both. I still have an i5-2500k, can't even remember which GPU. If I threw in a new Geforce 1080 what would even happen?

What I'm getting at is $500 probably doesn't get you much in a multi component upgrade and they require a bit more thought than a console.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Desktop CPU's hit a wall several years ago, anyone with a 2500k overclocked is still good for several years until intel comes out with some new breakthrough in cpu tech.

GPU's are parrallel in nature and hence they still get tangable performance benefits moving to smaller process nodes and larger cores.

DX12 introduces async compute, where cpu tasks can be done on the GPU in parrallel to rendering tasks, so the role of a GPU is taking over the cpu. DX12 reduices cpu overhead.

So basically for most PC gamers, it's just upgrade your gpu every 18-24 months and you're good.
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

Much easier if it's just the GPU. It's funny they haven't made them plug and play (slot them in the front or back without having to open the case).

I'd bought the first (new) Tomb Raider and it chugged so bad on my PC that I gave up on it and ended up getting the console version and played through it on PS4.

I fired it up recently again on PC (had bought a 21:9 monitor and wanted to see if any games supported it) silky smooth. Hadn't upgraded any hardware just moved to Windows 10 (plus whatever updates the game might have had). Was really surprised.