Xbox 1.5 is coming

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: Xbox 1.5 is coming

Post by Candy Arse »

lestat nailed it. I'm running a 3-year old CPU and have had no issues. All I've upgraded is the GPU and eventually the monitor once I got the 980Ti. Before that I was on the same BenQ 1080p monitor for 4 years without a hassle.

Even though the Oculus Rift tells me my CPU doesn't meet Rift specs the games still run fine and I expect that to improve greatly once I chuck a 1080 in there.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Hell, my old PC from 2008 (cost me $2,500) lasted me until last year with only a single graphics card upgrade in all that time. I played through games like Bioshock Infinite (2013) no worries.

Granted, it was definitely showing its age by the end, but shit that was a good run. From Windows Vista to Windows 10.

The PC upgrade cycle is overstated.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

It's way overstated.

Then you get that part where you save a load of money on PC games that are cheaper than their inferior console counterparts...and that's BEFORE the Steam sales where you're getting big name games for under $15.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Yeah, if you want the absolute bleeding edge then you will be upgrading every 2 years. I'm on a 3 to 4 years cycle because that suits me and my wallet but could easily push that out to 5 years.

More than anything I think it will cause confusion with consumers and if Sony and MS aren't careful create the conditions for another crash.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

flipswitch wrote:I don't want to buy a new console every few years or so. Sigh. Looks more and more likely I'll just spend all of my time on PC now.
I'm not even interested in upgrading to Neo. I feel sorry for those who only game on consoles, having to upgrade because the current model is obsolete so soon. It's going to be interesting to see how the public react.
At least you can sleep easy knowing you only have to upgrade your PC every couple of years instead!
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Much like consoles it would now seem, except the new consoles are STILL underpowered :lol:

:suicide: t0mby :suicide:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

And they still don't improve your old games, something heavily overlooked. I love going back and playing my old games after an upgrade, it's great seeing them run and look even better than before.

This is the disappointing aspect of these mid cycle boxes, the inability to leverage the extra power you have for your old games.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Madmya wrote:Welp, I love this news! :thefinger:

I'd be more than happy with a bi-annual console update at $500 a pop, so long as it's continually backwards compatible which you'd expect would have to be. Oculus Rift support too, I'd be in on that.
It doesn't bother me either I own all consoles and a good pc so I just buy what ever I like. I prefer to play on console though as I have no man cave and share the 70" screen with the mrs. looking forward to the vr on both consoles too :D
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

lestat wrote:And they still don't improve your old games, something heavily overlooked. I love going back and playing my old games after an upgrade, it's great seeing them run and look even better than before.

This is the disappointing aspect of these mid cycle boxes, the inability to leverage the extra power you have for your old games.
I loved trying out old demanding games like Crysis on newer hardware after upgrading.
It's one of great benefits about upgrading.
For consoles they could patch it in, but I'm not counting on it. ( maybe just a select few devs like ND)
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Consoles -

Pros:

Cheaper entry point to the system.
Generally more stable gaming experience; consistent online experience.
Small form factor, generally.
Generally very skillful game developers (i.e. ND)

Cons:

More expensive software over the life of the system.
More expensive digital downloads - no genuine sales, no third party retailers.
More expensive peripherals.
Selective backwards compatibility.
Inferior hardware.
Pay to play online.
Rigid upgrade cycle.

PCs -

Pros:

Free to play online.
Superior hardware.
Superior digital distribution.
Flexible upgrade cycle.
Cheaper peripherals.
Backwards compatibility with almost every game ever made.
Cheaper software.
Can build your own system - exceeding easy to build and price parts accordingly.
More experimental games find a start here.

Cons:

More expensive entry point for high spec rigs.
Prone to more glitches.
Digital downloads subject to ISP speeds.
Form factor is contingent on skill of builder or company.

Can't think of any others. Me personally I love my rig but I grew up consoles so I want to see that sector flourish but as it is MS and Sony are playing with fire doing this to consumers.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Don't understand why this has devolved into a PC vs console argument. Play whatever you like. Specs don't really mean squat so long as the game is good.
Anyway, I'm very excited to see what the upgraded Xbox one will be. I'm hoping it's fully backwards compatible with the xbone games too! Bring it on I say! A 4 year cycle is a nice time to upgrade, and 4 times the power is a great boost! Can't wait!
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

If it's BW compatible, wouldn't that mean it will use the cpu as XB1?
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Madmya wrote:Welp, I love this news! :thefinger:

I'd be more than happy with a bi-annual console update at $500 a pop, so long as it's continually backwards compatible which you'd expect would have to be. Oculus Rift support too, I'd be in on that.

^This

Don't need pc if half the games on it are shitty console ports with higher resolution. :roll: (witcer 3 only possible thanks to console - Candy Arse knows this and it pisse him off to no end)

Just make your triple A content for the console and focus on polishing the game to death for that platform. Not 50 million different combinations of hardware set ups or people who pay $2 or get it free.

Kid these days are not going to want to tweak settings and shit before each game they play. It should just work when you boot it up and put disc in or select it. Each game must conform to the standards of a closed platform so that comparisons between games from different companies are easy to do. This way the best developers get rewarded with the awards for thier coding skill and not the stupid hardware itself when the pc gamer guy updates to the latest chip.

lol PC gamers are always going to hate us console gamers even though we all own pc and prefer to relax on a couch and play with non-cheaters. Console is not going anywhere candy. Sony and MS and Nintendo are here to stay.

As for mobile gamers like Vzzbx who doesn't give a fuck about fighting games, you guys can go get fucked.
Nintendo may be making mobile titles but 3DS is still here. look at the sales of the fire emblem games you idiots.
Stop thinking more power = better games.
Half the shit on mobile is useless crap due to limited space for your finger to select stuff. It's only for looking at guidebooks and shit while you play games and not as a game machine itself.

Did you guys know that games like Xcom are now on the ps Vita? Once a pc only franchise now on console. The pc gamers are just scared of us taking their franchises that were once exclusive. That is why all they don't like seeing console rise up like black slaves stuck inside the matrix. PC gaming can co-exist with console but it's not going to replace the experience of a closed platform experience. I have been saying it for years and the people on this board think they represent a huge army of pc guys when in reality most pc gamers have shit specs and are worried that the games they download are going to chug because the programs running in the background are designed to steal as much resources as possible (by being coded poorly so that the programs run as inefficiently as possible) in order to help hardware companies sell new hardware to you so that you upgrade from old hardware earlier. (similar to the "Sony Timer" conspiracy but for the pc tards. Optimising code is not important if people are just going to brute force their way to get high performance so why should I the game developer care if my code is efficient? I can just make the graphics ugly and that's how I will reach millions of people so that even the guy with shit pc runs my game. But then you the consumer who bought my game and have the latest tech feel ripped off because your card that you bought isn't being used to it's maximum potential for EVERY game you buy. You see where the problem lies? It's why consoles are still not dead yet. )
Last edited by GameHED on 26 May 2016 06:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I don't see it as an argument, I just find it ironic that console centric people here are all for a shorter upgrade cycle that will ultimately, IMHO, hurt the console industry.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

We are not for a shorter upgrade cycle. We think that they went cheap this gen because of sales of the original Wii. (which attracted non-gamers to gaming systems due to the motion sensing stuff)

Instead of going the usual route of just making as high spec a machine as they can while keeping the size reasonable. The other two companies probably thought that if they just release cheaper stuff then it would make the system affordable for the casual but it alienated the hardcore gamers like Wii did.

Only nintendo should be allowed to do gimmicky stuff imo since they actually go to the trouble of designing whole game concepts around those gimmicks like Sega of old days. (and they are GOOD at it and wii sports is actually a success which got non-gamers into the games while helping further the idea of pointing to control stuff)

Whereas the other two just jump into the fad and anger their hardcore gaming customers who want realism in their racing games and shooters and are too old to play platformers or kart racer because they are afraid their neighbours are going to accuse them of being pedophiles for playing games with little kids online or something like that. (fucktards all of them because they only see gaming as a social thing not as a hobby itself. If they actually played games normally we wouldn't be in this mes lol You wouldn't have half arsed specs if they still treated game consoles as adult machines for 30 year old gamers who have enough money to buy one for their whole family like a computer way back in the 80s when people only had one in the house. Think back to that episode of Married with Children when Al Bundy bought a pc and nobody in the family actually used it. It was only 1 and was for the entire family. Compare that to now:: These days kids have their own mobile phones which are like $500 each! And these are more powerful than the supercomputers of the old days but are kid's toys today!)
Last edited by GameHED on 26 May 2016 06:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Wrote a response to GameHEDs nonsense, thought better and deleted it. Like arguing with a seagull...

Anyway, those that are all for the next iterations of the PS4 and Xbone, more power to you. Personally I won't be buying into it because I would feel like a bit of a sucker after all the money I've spent on the PS4. Will dutifully wait for the PS5, whenever that arrives
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

You can't argue for shit. Look at games sales and profits of PC compared to console you dumb arse. If I were game company I'm not going to choose an open platform where people just pirate my stuff like old commodore and amiga 500 games. Yeah I will make a game and release it to pc TOO, just not aim for that platform. It's not going to reach a wide audience. Just like an R Rated movie is not going to reach as big an audience as M. Common sense. It's why witcher 3 graphics needed the downgrade because the console platform was the target this gen. And the console wasn't as high spec as people wanted. If it had been high spec maybe the pc gamer would have less to complain about because the downgrade would not be as noticeable.

PC is a great platform for the garage coder to make a name for himself and bring innovation to the gaming scene, but lousy stability. Console offers stability. People like that. Just make sure not to cheap out on specs when a new console gen happens. That's all you have to do to bring back the glory days of xbox 360 and MS can repair it's old hardcore gaming brand reputation which they once enjoyed. The reason this kinect crap didn't survive is because most people are too lazy to stand up to play games. I'm sorry but that is it. It would be like your boss at work forces you to stand up for a whole day to use your pc. You would not like this. You are used to sitting on your bum.

Just trust me ya dumb shits. You are killing the game companies by making assumptions about the future rather than looking at what the vast majority of people actually want. Once in a while people will get sick of the same stuff and cry "I'm bored I want something new" then they will get it, and then be ready for more of the old shit again. It happens in cycles. It's why people are angry that current Call of Duty games are now all about future tech (thanks to titanfall) and now people are crying for world war 2 shooters again lol. They got what they wanted and now want to revert back to the same stuff they miss after getting what they asked for. Same exact logic here where people miss what they were used to seeing and want upgraded editions of the old game.
Kinect was the stop gap gimmick console MS wanted to make for the casual gamers.
The more powerful new console is going to just be 360 successor which is what a lot of people wanted from the start.

If they want to follow nintendo fine, but don't get angry after they release the underpowered machine. Just get angry at yourself for buying it. Nobody fucking forced you to buy the One. Just like nobody forced you to buy 3DS before the XL came out. Just trade in your old machine or sell it and upgrade. So easy. Maybe you could even donate the system to charity and do something good for once in your lives. The money was not wasted because these system will still be supported much like PS3 is still supported in shops today.

You can buy the new ninja Turtles game right now on ps3 and still play last gen version of the game and are not left behind if you are a poor guy. So it's not all doom and gloom when a high spec machine is being anounced. In the old days people who had pc accesed different games to people who had console. You saw ports of pc games on console even though console was not powerful enough to handle it. So what I predict is cut down editions of popular games will still go to older models of console with low specs.
Last edited by GameHED on 26 May 2016 06:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

TL;DR

Your problem GameHED is you are batshit nuts and I doubt a single person on this forum takes your ramblings seriously. I can't even think of single time on this forum you've posted something worth reading. Back to the ignore list you go :)
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Xbox Scorpio, best code name ever. The hammock district.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Like arguing with a seagull :lol:

I snorted
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Rorschach wrote:TL;DR

Your problem GameHED is you are batshit nuts and I doubt a single person on this forum takes your ramblings seriously. I can't even think of single time on this forum you've posted something worth reading. Back to the ignore list you go :)
Most of the people on this forum end up reading it because of boredom anyway due to how only about 5 people are active on this board. (social media platforms like youtube are taking over as you can actually make money streaming any old bullshit and little kids will watch it. No offense to the people on the board but it's truth lol

It good to know you know about the ignore function though as I was the one who recommended it. I believe in the idea that if you hate reading walls of text, then a filtering system similar to what search engine have to keep your eyes safe (that you as the individual control) is best, rather than blanket censorship of banning a poster like the communist chinese do.

BTW The chinese actually censors american games and films now. The latest Homefront game is supposed to be chinese oppressing americans but they changed it to koreans. lol It's only a matter of time before the reptilians have control over all the electronic stuff and weaponise the consumer electronics you buy and use the tech that once brought freedom to people, now for stalking and killing non-politically correct speech on the internet.
Hopefully games ranch isn't taken down by the illuminati one day as I use it as storage space for tentacle porn sometimes in preparation for when the internet goes down due to cyber hackers deleting everything and forcing us to replace our brains with cyberbrains instead to keep the record keeping more easy and secure.
Have you guys seen all the Tracer porn on porn hub? Thank to the feminists pointing out the Tracer butt pose and getting it censored, (like they did to Fire Emblem) it created a huge demand for actual porn of that character.

feminists and commies hate gamergaters because we punished them and exposed thier corruption and this is not normal. Most people are supposed to be the brainwashed couch potatoes who obey what the tv tells them to do. Gamers now have a target on their back by these globalists because we challenge their idiotic belief systems and expose them to the younger generations who are going to fight back once they are awakened. You can't kill an idea, and that's why they need to censor all entertainment and the reason they are going after alpha males like us so hard.
The latest ghostbusters movie is perfect example here where they deliberately took all men out of the movie for no other reason then to say "we won the culture war christian west. Get the fuck out of our turf now that we own the schools and brainwash you kids in public school"

Same reason for adding female soldiers in Far Cry 4 and all the censorship in Homefront. They are winning but there is pushback and notice how they are getting more insane every day? It's a sign they have no control over the thing they are trying to control.

Resistence has always been there but it's starting to grow and they (reptilians) are pissed. People are fleeing and prepping.

The latest captain america movie Civil War has signs of that pushback where the UN is seen as the misguided one for thinking that power should just be handed over because a minority are not happy with some accidents. This is akin to the SJW attacks on gamers who like to speak how they please no matter how unpolitically incorrect they are. They can't control alpha males who fight back for liberty and it's the only barrier preventing a building up of a society of ucritical, unthinking zombies who just obey commands which they wish to bring about in preparation for he great culling. Very interesting times when crazies are allowed to talk down to people who are morally superior to them and people don't bash them up like in the old days to prevent them going near their kids. It's gotta be the fluoride in the water. In the old days new agey types would get bashed up for their ideas of believing there is no absolute right and wrong. Why? Because that means they can do anything they want to you based on their own version of truth. These guy are now in teaching positions and training many people not to think for themselves and question their motives and ideas and people are waking up to the plan these radical guys have. (ie georgia guidestones of using environmental movement to kill 2/3rds of the population for "mother earth" under the guise of saving lives)

Put them in their place. Earth belongs to us. Not the aliens, the fallen angelic being they chanelled, or to strange gods who wish we all listened to oprah winfrey.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

This "as long as it's backwards compatible" bullshit is spouted by people who are absolutely delusional, and have no clue about how Hardware, Operating Systems and Software interact.

Let's talk about backwards compatibility for a moment:
It is patchwork (at best) on any system.
PC - Clearly the best at it, and this is mostly due to the open platform allowing enthusiasts to ensure that it happens.
iOS/Android - Anyone who points at these platforms as posterchildren for backward compatibility are absolutely fucking nuts. If anything these platforms provide a solid argument against it. Look at all these broken and abandoned games that it's just not economically viable for the developers to provide forward support (technical debt) every time Apple and Google decide to make upgrades.
Consoles - Heh. Even when MS, Sony and to a lesser extent Nintendo try, it's pretty much a failure. Patchwork, and even then, framerate and input lag issues. Let's just say, these platform owners don't have a great track record.

So let's flip it now and talk about incremental console upgrades for a sec. Why is it doomed to failure?
(Sorry, this is a cut and paste of what I posted on GAF so it may overlap with the stuff above)
TECHNICAL DEBT

1) Inconsistent compatibility.
Right now, my Dreamcast games work on my Dreamcast. My X360 games work on my X360, etc.
With PC and iOS style incrementally stepped technology, you do not have this true 'clean' compatibility. Old PC content doesn't necessarily work on current PC's. Old iOS content doesn't necessarily work on current iOS devices, which leads on to...

2) Limitations, legacy and burden on software and developers?
What is the level of responsibility placed on developers to maintain software compatibility as a platform incrementally upgrades? What about the resource drain and diminishing returns on having to perform such constant re-work for games that have limited customer base? We've already seen this on iOS where devs just abandon and remove their apps due to forward compatibility issues.

3) Locking the company, and thus the consumers into a ecosystem with hardware/OS limitations.
This is more of a future proofing concern. Nobody knows what the future brings. When new technological advances happen, will these eco-systems be 'locked' into legacy hardware or OS-level technology?
I guess this is when in the future true traditional generational shift would still occur, and the slate would be wiped clean regardless of peoples ridiculous dreams of continual BC?
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Ambrose Burnside

PC backwards compatibility is pretty damn good even without the enthusiasts hacking away:
MS DOS 5 + Doom 2 installed, then Windows 1.0 installed, then every version of Windows updated on top until Windows 7. Doom 2, installed with DOS, still works in Windows 7 :lol:

I have the Steam version though which runs inside the DOSBox emulator on Windows 10 :up:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Very, very cool video, and it does prove the forwards compatibility no doubt (with Doom2), with the exception of Win2000 where it failed.
But, it's unrealistic, because in the real world, anyone who was running Doom2 on Dos5 would not have had the hardware to continually upgrade their OS. At some stage they would have had to have wiped the slate clean and buy whole new kit, which would have left them with the headache of re-installing Doom2 on their new system, which I suspect would not have gone as smoothly as it having just been sitting there on the HD through the upgrades on VMWare.

Edit - and the comments on YT agree.
Now we know that if we had a virtual machine running in a powerful computer from 30 years from the future the upgrade from past versions of windows would not be such a pain (I'm leaving out Windows 7 and later which was when they got it right), it is a great excercise and it's amazing how well behaves in a virtual environment, unfortunately it's not realistic from real hardware standpoint. Kudos for the experiment.
This guy is using a virtual machine. The problem with doing it on actual hardware is that some versions of Windows have conflicting minimum-maximum hard drive size limits. (Like, I believe DOS doesn't go higher than 2 Gigabytes or something, wheres Windows XP needs at least 20 Gigabytes). However, if you partition the hard drive with other operating systems, (like Linux for instance) you can change the partitions (I think), so upgrading through every version of windows is indeed possible on actual hardware.
So was the filesystem ever upgraded? That musta been FAT underneath that Vista and Win7 install then eh? Wonder what would happen on a hard reset of the vm?
I never upgraded my Windows, I never wanted to inherit the crappy registry settings of my current install ;)
In theory, it is possible to upgrade chain between every major version of Windows. But, in practice, it's not possible due to hardware limitations between different versions of Windows.
I could keep going, but I think I've labored the point already.
Ambrose Burnside

Oh yeah, installing Windows like that on the same hardware is unrealistic in the real world. But if I wanted to I could install the original retail release of Doom 2 on my PC and it would work.

I couldn't get the original retail release of Super International Cricket from the same year and shove it in my Wii U, and play a few overs.

Long story short, if it's BC you want, you need a PC. Probably stating the bleeding obvious, but still :lol:

Also: https://www.gog.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;