Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Re: Xbox 1.5 is coming

Post by guttermouth »

I think this thread needs a title change.....
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I suggest - MS to gamers "Suck a fuck! Give us more money!"
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

lestat wrote:The only problem with console gaming is developers get it into their heads that 30fps is acceptable, so if you
give them more power, they'll just use that power to make a better looking 30fps game.
You'll find most of the time it's the publishers pushing for better looking games at the sacrifice of fps because of all the hyperbole that surrounds released screenshots. Console screenshots at 30fps obviously look better than a 60fps game shot. Even you yourself lestat have nitpicked at things like lack of polygons on trees etc, things that are not really noticable at speed on 60fps games such as Gran Turismo 5. I'm not saying they're not there, just when you're flying at 250kph down a back straight the last thing you are going to be looking at in detail is flora.
Candy Arse wrote: :suicide: t0mby :suicide:
No suicide here, even when I had a high end gaming rig back in 2010 I chose to game on 360 and PS3 over the PC and I still prefer console gaming.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

t0mby wrote:I still prefer inferior gaming experiences.
Whatever floats your boat bro :lol:
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

People keep saying doomed to failure and yet when RROD happened last gen for 360 and you guys ended up buying the same shit twice without complaint because of the awesome library of games. MS wasn't doomed then so why would they be doomed now? (the nintendo wii you only had to buy it once thanks to good quality control, and the wii u console never got a Elite model late in its lifespan so you never needed to double dip like the 3DS which got so many updates from XL to "new 3DS" to "NEW 3DS XL" etc)

Stop pretending you are angry and accept that this gen fucked up. lol

If they had went with high spec machines from the start you wouldn't have this 900p nonsense and the witcher 3 engine downgrade.

If the games are good enough people will buy the console to play the games. You just got to be patient and wait until prices come down. Enjoy your existing library of games in the meantime.

MS need the .5 upgrade more than sony imo since they are losing the graphics comparison war in all the digital foundry tests.
Nintendo could keep wii u alive long time if they did something like put cut down versions of the NX titles on it to not make the poor guys angry. (much like ps3 is still getting new titles even though we are in the ps4 gen now.)

5 years should be the official console life cycle not the 10 years. It should last 10 years but midway through that 10 year lifespan there should be a .5 stopgap machine once frameratess start to chug and demand calls for it.
How many times have activision reused that old call of duty engine? And how many times have bethesda reused their engines for elder scrolls?

We should have support last for a console be 10 years, but 5 years we should be given an option to go the new system. Developers that make great games have enough resources to survive since the last gen model of a console has a large userbase that's been established, (more people owning the system = more potential sales) while the new console will have a smaller userbase of early adopters with more money to throw around. For casuals they can "rent" a console by playing games on a dumb terminal through servers that send the pictures to their tv through broadband. Most action games will probably suck using that idea though. I guess it wouldn't make much difference for RPG and adventure titles though. (if you could play runescape on your web browser all those years ago and didn't care you have no excuse to complain now)
Last edited by GameHED on 27 May 2016 05:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

More dribble from CrackHED that no one will read.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Uh how did you know its dribble unless you actually read it? Dipshit! lol That's right, keep not using the ignore function you valve nutsack licker. 8)

PC is doomed. Consoles are immortal and can't be killed which is your sick fantasy so that you don't have to buy nintendo hardware that is underpowered. You keep predicting any day they will go the way of sega but they are still going strong.
Crap prophet.

We are living in an age now where cyborgs are going to take over so even if your old machines die off you will still be able to emulate them in your cyberbrain and replay them by downloading the emulator off the darknet.
So stop getting angry that old consoles are being killed off. All the money you wasted you can get it back by pirating all the games in the future when computers are fast enough to emulate these legacy consoles and you can get your revenge on these greedy fucks like you do now with nintendo roms. (ie candy arse not buying twilight princess remake and choosing the pc free version instead) The aliens don't give a shit.
Last edited by GameHED on 27 May 2016 05:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I bought 3 Xbox 360s mate. Get it right.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

It's dribble because you posted it, CrackHED.

That's all you post you seagull.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

:lol:

Probably just wants a chip...
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Candy Arse wrote:
t0mby wrote:I still prefer inferior gaming experiences.
Whatever floats your boat bro :lol:
Yup, inferior gaming experiences of Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted, Vanquish etc. Wish I'd bought the PC versions.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

List wars!

*insert list of PC exclusive games and PC versions of console games that are massively better on PC*

"I prefer inferior gaming experiences"

Have fun bro! :lol:
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

If I had any interest in PC exclusive games I would have a PC so your argument is moot. :lol:
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

New thread title: Xbox as a service, Gabens lunch cut.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

We would have 4 years of xbox one by the time this is released, seems a decent run to me?
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I've always felt 5-6 years is a good length for a console generation. Last generation was abnormally long (rougly 8 years I think), no doubt because MS wanted to drag out the success of the 360. 4 years and we've barely seen what optimised games look like.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Well they are having enough trouble just getting them to run let alone giving us greatly optimised games like we have seen in previous generations progressions.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Twiztid Elf wrote:This "as long as it's backwards compatible" bullshit is spouted by people who are absolutely delusional, and have no clue about how Hardware, Operating Systems and Software interact.

Let's talk about backwards compatibility for a moment:
It is patchwork (at best) on any system.
PC - Clearly the best at it, and this is mostly due to the open platform allowing enthusiasts to ensure that it happens.
iOS/Android - Anyone who points at these platforms as posterchildren for backward compatibility are absolutely fucking nuts. If anything these platforms provide a solid argument against it. Look at all these broken and abandoned games that it's just not economically viable for the developers to provide forward support (technical debt) every time Apple and Google decide to make upgrades.
Consoles - Heh. Even when MS, Sony and to a lesser extent Nintendo try, it's pretty much a failure. Patchwork, and even then, framerate and input lag issues. Let's just say, these platform owners don't have a great track record.

So let's flip it now and talk about incremental console upgrades for a sec. Why is it doomed to failure?
(Sorry, this is a cut and paste of what I posted on GAF so it may overlap with the stuff above)
TECHNICAL DEBT

1) Inconsistent compatibility.
Right now, my Dreamcast games work on my Dreamcast. My X360 games work on my X360, etc.
With PC and iOS style incrementally stepped technology, you do not have this true 'clean' compatibility. Old PC content doesn't necessarily work on current PC's. Old iOS content doesn't necessarily work on current iOS devices, which leads on to...
Do you honestly believe the new PS4 system won't run PS4 games? Do you honestly believe the new Microsoft system won't run XB1 games?
Twiztid Elf wrote: 2) Limitations, legacy and burden on software and developers?
What is the level of responsibility placed on developers to maintain software compatibility as a platform incrementally upgrades? What about the resource drain and diminishing returns on having to perform such constant re-work for games that have limited customer base? We've already seen this on iOS where devs just abandon and remove their apps due to forward compatibility issues.
Because 360 compatibility on XB1 has placed so much of a burden on developers! The wonders the Microsoft engineers have done with 360 backwards compatibility on XB1 also blows up your idea that this shit is nigh-on impossible.

It's probably safe to assume developers will have as much input as they want. If they want to patch their games to make use of the extra hardware - fine. It'd be in their best interests to do so in my opinion.
Twiztid Elf wrote: 3) Locking the company, and thus the consumers into a ecosystem with hardware/OS limitations.
This is more of a future proofing concern. Nobody knows what the future brings. When new technological advances happen, will these eco-systems be 'locked' into legacy hardware or OS-level technology?
I guess this is when in the future true traditional generational shift would still occur, and the slate would be wiped clean regardless of peoples ridiculous dreams of continual BC?
Am I wrong in assuming this isn't going to be a generational shift? Shit, this is the vibe we're getting from everywhere isn't it? These two new systems are mere upgrades of the PS4 and XB1 and not next gen models. Even this very thread is labelled accordingly! So we've got a split userbase now, it's really not that hard to work around. Yes, it may place an extra burden on developers, but hardly anything PC developers wouldn't be used to. Simply pop in the disc: the game will recognise which system you're running and apply the graphics settings accordingly. If this is not a generational shift as I believe it isn't, this won't be terribly hard to do.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Candy Arse wrote:What if you slapped an XBOX sticker on your PC?
Sold!

I wonder if you'd have as much disdain for my choice if it was a non-upgradeable steam box, which I view as being the same thing.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Most of the posters here that prefer game consoles over pc understand the appeal that pc gaming has but we just think pc tards have no idea about what makes a game actually good.

The pc tard always go on about specs and resolutions and technical things but don't understand if the developers target the console as the main platform (as we saw with the witcher 3) you are getting stunted by the console.

PC only matters when there are exclusives that max out the cards you buy. Otherwise it's just ports of console games with high framerate. For a lot of us that simply isn't enough to just throw consoles into the bin.

We like the fact that there are stable game design so that levels are tightly maanged by the creators to only have what the console can handle and that you get the experience of traditional console game where no setting needs to be tweaked.
It adds extra steps just like going to a theatre requires getting into the line and waiting to buy a ticket and having previews and wasting a lot of time before you see it vs just downloading it.
The convenience of console is you get triple A experiences that are exclusive.

So no candy arse you are the one nobody wants to read posts of. If I make titles like epic rpgs and stuff, I don't want you to pirate my games and get nothing to reinvest into sequels of that franchise. I need money to kep the company afloat.

The vast majority of pc gamers use low spec machines and playing indie games I bet. They are not buying bleeding edge cards so they can experience minecraft at 100000 frames per second you clueless fuck.

In the future the internet will be accessible from all over the planet through a network of 4000 satellites so that no matter where you are on earth, you can access your old games by streaming. It will probably mean the end of traditional conssoles as the casuals will play games on dumb terminals, or devices that don't do the processing and number crunching of the games we play but just get the image sent to the screen at a high speed.

They are working on this now. All these legacy console will probably be emulated from a service you subscribe to much like paying your PS Plus or XBox Live subscription so that you can play your old games long after the physical cosoles you own die.
So please STFU Candy Arse. You don't understand the chaging trends in technology.

Long gone are the days when gamers had to be nerds who interacted with pc and needed techical knowledge to load up a game and then fiddle with ssettings to get just the right amount of detail per frame. The trend is dumbed down apple devices and casuals wanting instant gratification. Console offer that to those who don't want to use pc for gaming since they want to go into the living room more than the workstation to experience their games.
Its like how handheld gaming offer unique experience from arcade or home. Most games are designed around the lifestyle of the gamer. So a game that is long and involving and requires hours of time usually are home console or pc while arcadey games go to the other platforms where you play on the go and have less time.

When developers make games they have this in mind and tailor the title for the gamer type. So for Witcher 3 they downgraded it for console kiddies. Why? Because there are more of us and this is where the profit lies. There is no reason to hate console since it helps pc too when these developers make enough money to continue creating new games.
If witcher 3 was exclusive to pc, it would just get pirated. So although you may prefer the pc, it's not sustaintable in this day and age as the competition for $ gets hardr and harder. Companies have to merge toegether to stand a chance.

We are not living in the 80s anymore. People actually care about good controls, intuitive interfaces on screen where they can see the menus and read the text while on a couch. They care about game not being a buggy mess and having good quality control like nintendo games where you can't break the game. They care about people not having te ability to easily cheat. (console online experience offers level playing field since everyone has the same resolution and specs)

These are things you always forget to mention and they are of vital importance to the competitive scene. You don't see people playing SF4 on pc because it's too open and hackable. They play on console. You lost. Just admit it.
You like to talk about gaming as an outisder looking in, but you don't play them in depth like all the rest of us who want to experience good controls and no-fuss gameplay that isn't effected by crappy coding due to lack of proper quality testing due to the experimental nature of the platform the game runs on which has many other programs running on the OS in the background that share resources of the machine with the game. With game consoles, you get pure games-only dedicated device that can access all the platform's power without sharing it. That's the difference of console. You get power at cheap price. If you were such a smart guy your prediction of nintendo going third party would have happend ages ago since they have gone against the grain. But they still make money and profit. That's what it takes to survive, not letting pirates take your stuff for free by being a pc exclusive game developer and ignoring the kiddies on the console. Why the fuck do you think microsoft bought minecraft you idiot? Cuz of the kiddiez.
Same reason nintendo still alive as they see the games as like kids toys. They don't just aim for a niche market which is the high end pc market. Yes you can play nintendo roms on your pc but kids will still play on the platform it was designed for. Why? The fucking controls dipshit. (nintendo designs the games around them)

Have fun trying to convince us we are wrong time and time again when consoles aren't dead yet and nintendo is still not third party developer like sega because they have so many fans who still pay money for their games.. lol
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

You don't see people playing SF4 on pc
yes you do
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

GameHED fears the arse whooping Candy would give him in Street Fighter :lol:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Well the vast majority of the FGC moved over to SF4 on PC with Ultra SF4. CrackHED wouldn't know this obviously.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Madmya wrote:
Twiztid Elf wrote:This "as long as it's backwards compatible" bullshit is spouted by people who are absolutely delusional, and have no clue about how Hardware, Operating Systems and Software interact.

Let's talk about backwards compatibility for a moment:
It is patchwork (at best) on any system.
PC - Clearly the best at it, and this is mostly due to the open platform allowing enthusiasts to ensure that it happens.
iOS/Android - Anyone who points at these platforms as posterchildren for backward compatibility are absolutely fucking nuts. If anything these platforms provide a solid argument against it. Look at all these broken and abandoned games that it's just not economically viable for the developers to provide forward support (technical debt) every time Apple and Google decide to make upgrades.
Consoles - Heh. Even when MS, Sony and to a lesser extent Nintendo try, it's pretty much a failure. Patchwork, and even then, framerate and input lag issues. Let's just say, these platform owners don't have a great track record.

So let's flip it now and talk about incremental console upgrades for a sec. Why is it doomed to failure?
(Sorry, this is a cut and paste of what I posted on GAF so it may overlap with the stuff above)
TECHNICAL DEBT

1) Inconsistent compatibility.
Right now, my Dreamcast games work on my Dreamcast. My X360 games work on my X360, etc.
With PC and iOS style incrementally stepped technology, you do not have this true 'clean' compatibility. Old PC content doesn't necessarily work on current PC's. Old iOS content doesn't necessarily work on current iOS devices, which leads on to...
Do you honestly believe the new PS4 system won't run PS4 games? Do you honestly believe the new Microsoft system won't run XB1 games?
Twiztid Elf wrote: 2) Limitations, legacy and burden on software and developers?
What is the level of responsibility placed on developers to maintain software compatibility as a platform incrementally upgrades? What about the resource drain and diminishing returns on having to perform such constant re-work for games that have limited customer base? We've already seen this on iOS where devs just abandon and remove their apps due to forward compatibility issues.
Because 360 compatibility on XB1 has placed so much of a burden on developers! The wonders the Microsoft engineers have done with 360 backwards compatibility on XB1 also blows up your idea that this shit is nigh-on impossible.

It's probably safe to assume developers will have as much input as they want. If they want to patch their games to make use of the extra hardware - fine. It'd be in their best interests to do so in my opinion.
Twiztid Elf wrote: 3) Locking the company, and thus the consumers into a ecosystem with hardware/OS limitations.
This is more of a future proofing concern. Nobody knows what the future brings. When new technological advances happen, will these eco-systems be 'locked' into legacy hardware or OS-level technology?
I guess this is when in the future true traditional generational shift would still occur, and the slate would be wiped clean regardless of peoples ridiculous dreams of continual BC?
Am I wrong in assuming this isn't going to be a generational shift? Shit, this is the vibe we're getting from everywhere isn't it? These two new systems are mere upgrades of the PS4 and XB1 and not next gen models. Even this very thread is labelled accordingly! So we've got a split userbase now, it's really not that hard to work around. Yes, it may place an extra burden on developers, but hardly anything PC developers wouldn't be used to. Simply pop in the disc: the game will recognise which system you're running and apply the graphics settings accordingly. If this is not a generational shift as I believe it isn't, this won't be terribly hard to do.
Great post. I dont get the point of a PC gamer whinging either because you would be spending over 500 more often than every 4 years to stay relatively current. An upgrade that still plays all the old titles and doesnt lock you in with any requirement to upgrade and choose to stay on the original xb1 or ps4 seems fine to me. In fact no different to a pc gamer being ok with great instead of outstanding.

Also the cost of cinsole gaming has never been cheaper than this gen, there is no huge gap in pricing for new titles woth PC and games are heavily discounted early now I picked up Halo 5 for 25 bucks this weekend in Target for instance.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Seriously, you boys that believe true forward compatibility can occur with consoles without technical debt are bat shit fucking insane and have absolutely no clue about the technical difficulties and cost of it.
Has it ever been done competently before? No? Well, it must be easy as pie then eh? :roll:
Believe whatever stupid shit you want to believe.