Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Re: Xbox 1.5 is coming

Post by Madmya »

To be clear, Elf, we're talking about this immediate console. Not some indefinite forward compatibility. This is supposed to be an "elite" version of the same console, not a generational step. You'd have to expect the CPU architecture to be the same, the main challenge will involve the GPU and if it's going to be much more powerful as stated, it should be doable. The ESRAM being the biggest hurdle but in lestat I trust with his wide BUS statement.

It's never been done before because we've generally had wildly changing hardware. We're all on x64 now, if they could do the job they did with 360 then I see no reason. Again, do you believe Sony and MS are going to release a newer console that can't play PS4/XB1 games 100%?
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Fuck it's not that hard to follow.

I have a PC exactly the same as my mates, before Doom comes out he updates his graphics card and ram.

We both install and play doom and it configures and runs faster and at a higher res on his PC to me. I'm still happy and he is happy and is this really that hard a concept to follow.

Technical Debt ffs get a grip.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Madmya wrote:It's never been done before because we've generally had wildly changing hardware. We're all on x64 now, if they could do the job they did with 360 then I see no reason.
So, we're going to be on x64 forever now? Nothing will ever change that?
Madmya wrote:Again, do you believe Sony and MS are going to release a newer console that can't play PS4/XB1 games 100%?
Not anytime soon. But 15-20 years from now?
Froggy wrote:I have a PC exactly the same as my mates, before Doom comes out he updates his graphics card and ram.
We both install and play doom and it configures and runs faster and at a higher res on his PC to me.
Yeah, but what if you have a PC from 5 years ago? 10 years ago? (console lifespan lengths of time).
Does your PC still run new Doom? Or are you having to upgrade hardware and operating systems?
Froggy wrote:Technical Debt ffs get a grip.
Eh. You clearly don't and have never worked in tech with legacy systems.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Tbh, I'm so disillusioned that I'm seriously considering PC/Nintendo only. Buy a second PC for the loungeroom is really starting to sound appealing.
The last console I didn't buy was Atari Jaguar.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Twiztid Elf wrote:
Madmya wrote:It's never been done before because we've generally had wildly changing hardware. We're all on x64 now, if they could do the job they did with 360 then I see no reason.
So, we're going to be on x64 forever now? Nothing will ever change that?
Seriously, how can I make it more clear? The post you're responding to explicitly states "To be clear, Elf, we're talking about this immediate console." :roll: I've go no fucking idea where you've got it in your head that I'm talking about some kind of infinite backwards compatibility, and you have the gall to call me delusional. Unless you've taken my "xbox as a service" statement and made some kind of infinite expansion with it.
Twiztid Elf wrote:
Madmya wrote:Again, do you believe Sony and MS are going to release a newer console that can't play PS4/XB1 games 100%?
Not anytime soon. But 15-20 years from now?
Noted. And if you're right I'd imagine many more people will go the way of a Nintendo/PC setup.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Twiztid Elf wrote:So, we're going to be on x64 forever now? Nothing will ever change that?
Neither of us ever said that.
Twiztid Elf wrote:Not anytime soon. But 15-20 years from now?
I don't get your point? In 15 - 20 years from now if you can't run todays game's on a new console then it is severely under powered. I don't follow your point on this one, I would hope in that timeframe they'd be able to virtualise the environment or something and run it that way surely.
Twiztid Elf wrote:
Froggy wrote:I have a PC exactly the same as my mates, before Doom comes out he updates his graphics card and ram.We both install and play doom and it configures and runs faster and at a higher res on his PC to me.
Yeah, but what if you have a PC from 5 years ago? 10 years ago? (console lifespan lengths of time).
Does your PC still run new Doom? Or are you having to upgrade hardware and operating systems?
I don't even get your point, what Madmya and I are saying it quite clear. Say I own an xbox one elite and you own the original xbox, we both go to the shop and buy Doom. I go home and play it at 60fps with higher res, you go home with the same game and same disc and play it at 30fps with slightly lower res, both playing the same game for xbox one. What exactly do you not follow with this?
Twiztid Elf wrote:
Froggy wrote:Technical Debt ffs get a grip.
Eh. You clearly don't and have never worked in tech with legacy systems.
I do work in tech, that's why I don't understand how you aren't following what the Madmya is laying down!
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

I honestly don't get it either, Froggy. He seems willing to move to PC, but not for a renowned console to move into a PC-like direction.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I want consoles to be a closed system that provides experiences I can't get on my PC.

The idea of that seems antiquated tbh... Game companies just don't develop like that if they want to survive. You put your product where anyone can get it.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Twiztid Elf wrote:Tbh, I'm so disillusioned that I'm seriously considering PC/Nintendo only. Buy a second PC for the loungeroom is really starting to sound appealing.
The last console I didn't buy was Atari Jaguar.
Buy a $229 8GB AMD 480x in a htpc case, with windows 10 you now already have a better than PS4k/Xbox1.5 system. :up:

I'm going to revive my HTPC in such a manner with a cheap 480x. Will be great for playing games on the couch. The GTX1080 will be in the study for more serious gaming.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

ITT: Couch gaming is not serious gaming.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

t0mby wrote:ITT: Couch gaming is not serious gaming.
:btw:
Candy Arse wrote:If you're getting 60fps on a massive screen and are having a great experience, don't rock your own boat. I did that for quite some time as well and it was awesome.
Rorschach wrote:IPS panels offer the best colour reproduction and Gsync offers hardware adaptive sync which makes a big difference in terms of screen tearing and slow down. However, if you are comfortable and happy with your current setup don't go a changing.
Candy Arse wrote:I used to have this really good large Bravia LCD TV that somehow had insanely low display lag so I used to have Street Fighter gatherings with the local FGC at my place all the time. The fucking thing was insane for all games, just brilliant.

Then I bought myself a 3DTV, larger, new and fancy etc and even the "gaming" mode was BALLS for fighting games, so that's when I went down the gaming monitor path.

Had I kept that Bravia I may still be in the "PC gaming on a large TV" camp.

Don't get me wrong, this IPS panel is fucking incredible, gaming on this thing is a pure pleasure...but there's no right or wrong IMO.

Modern TVs are perfectly capable of showing off what PC gaming can do.
Ambrose Burnside wrote:I feel more comfortable in my study with keyboard and mouse playing games like Doom and Warhammer on a monitor than I would trying to juggle a keyboard and mouse in the theatre. I have streamed games like Mortal Kombat X from my PC in the study to the big screen (using Steam Big Picture Mode) though and played with ye olde 360 controller :up:
:owned:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

t0mby knows not of what he speaks.

For the record I also play PC games on a couch in my games room still, I just use the flashy gsync monitor now. When it's a game that I MUST use KBAM, it's the computer chair for me!

Best of both worlds.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

Wireless kbam and a stable table.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Candy Arse wrote:t0mby knows not of what he speaks.
lestat wrote:
I'm going to revive my HTPC in such a manner with a cheap 480x. Will be great for playing games on the couch. The GTX1080 will be in the study for more serious gaming.
t0mby wrote:ITT: Couch gaming is not serious gaming.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:lol: One post. Nice work hot shot.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity

Post by GreyWizzard »

What's serious gaming? What does that even mean??

Playing a deep story 40 hr rpg on a console or handheld is not serious gaming? It only becomes serious gaming when I sit at a desk and use a high end pc and play the same game? WTF is serious gaming?
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

:lol:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

GreyWizzard wrote:WTF is serious gaming?
Not a Nintendo game!

:nana: :nana:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

GreyWizzard wrote:WTF is serious gaming?
Playing a fighting game single-player only sounds pretty serious to me.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

No PS4 neo at E3.......6tfolps scared Sony???
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

How could they be scared when they have sold 40 million.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:lol: Doubtful Sony is scared when they're the only game in town.

I wonder if they're trying to figure out how to manage this in a non-32X-type fashion.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

Maybe scared is the wrong word to use......

Cold feet?? Holding back?? Waiting to see what MS does.....
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

There's a great article on Eurogamer on why PS4K isn't needed. It's a very compelling argument.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by guttermouth »

I agree both of these .5 consoles are not needed. Time to move on and just release the next full upgrade. Both machines where under powered and both companies where more worried about a cheap affordable console. 2017 will be the same amount of life of the original xbox, MS's next bone is set to be released then, just maybe the new bone is a complete new gen and not a half arsed release...................