Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

System Shock Reboot - needs $ to kickstart

Post by GameHED »

Fans of the series can now support this and make it a reality:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... -free-demo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The System Shock remake - which is now being billed as a full fledged "reboot" - has now launched a Kickstarter campaign, complete with a free pre-alpha demo.

"We want to demonstrate our commitment and passion for System Shock by providing a fun and exciting experience to potential backers," developer Nightdive Studios stated. "This demo represents the look and feel that we want to achieve with the final version we'll deliver to you, our backers. Please be aware, this is a proof of concept; the PERFORMANCE, FEATURES, and VISUALS are subject to change. We hope you enjoy your time aboard Citadel Station! SHODAN eagerly awaits your arrival..."

While this is Nightdive's first time taking on full development duties (it previously only ported lost classics like Turok, Strife, The 7th Guest, and System Shock 2), the Vancouver, WA-based studio significantly staffed up the place with an impressive pedigree of industry veterans.

To wit, legendary RPG designer Chris Avellone (Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2) is on board, as is the original System Shock concept artist Robb Waters (who also worked on BioShock and Thief). Beyond that, Fallout: New Vegas project director and senior producer Jason Fader is serving a leading role.

"This is a full-fledged reboot of a classic game into something new" said Nightdive CEO Stephen Kick. "As well as including members of the original team, such as famed concept artist Robb Waters, we have been expanding to include a number of industry veterans with years of AAA development experience having worked on games such as Fallout, Tomb Raider, Skyrim and Wasteland."

For the uninitiated, System Shock was a 1994 horror-tinged stealth action-RPG about waking up on a space station wherein an insane AI has wreaked havoc. Cyborgs and mutated crew members want to kill you, so you've got to use your wits to survive this sci-fi take on a haunted house tale.

This remake is developed in Unity and brings about vastly improved graphics and music with mechanics, enemy AI, puzzles and UI reimagined for a modern audience.

Should the developer vastly exceed its $900k Kickstarter goal (and based on how things are going so far, it almost definitely will), Nightdive has a whole host of additional features it would like to add. If it raises $1.7m, the developer would like to add a limb dismemberment system, additional puzzles and weapon settings, a more complex crafting system, further character customisation, and more difficulty modes. VR support is also being explored.

The System Shock reboot is currently in development for PC, Mac and Xbox One, though additional platforms may be announced in the future.

You can reserve a copy of the new System Shock on Steam, GOG, or Xbox One for $30 (or your local equivalent). Nightdive is shooting for a December 2017 release. This could slip of course, but the Nightdive noted that it's already 25 per cent of the way through development, so it has a better estimate than a lot of developers that predict their launch window years in advance.

After less than two hours the System Shock reboot has already raised $122,160 towards its $900k goal. It has until 28th July to make the rest.
For those that didn't back the Ouya and waste money, you should have some loose change lying around. Don't be a pussy and take a risk once in a while. Help old series survive by giving them money to save the Shock franchise which we know started to go downlhill when it became an on-rails fps (Bioshock 3) instead of a rpg like it is supposed to be.

You've seen how good Yooka Laylee is, you've seen Bloodstained and its faithfulness to Symphony of the Night, and that is proof older series are worth saving by giving the beggers the money to do actual work. (not to mention how good Doom reboot turned out to be by keeping fast paced gameplay)

Just pretend Mighty Number 9 was a demo only and not megaman x reborn. (the $4 million is secretly being used to make a proper Aliens Colonial Marines game on the NX which doesn't suck like the first time they did it. Yes that is where it went..)

related:
apreciation article on SS2
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: System Shock Reboot - needs $ to kickstart

Post by Candy Arse »

Currently downloading the demo for the superior PC version.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Backed. Doubt CrackHED will put up, just talk shit as usual.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

GameHED will just borrow it then put it back on the shelf as "New" for $119.95. It's just like pirating.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

So, because I will get a Steam key out of this, does this mean I am stealing their game?
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I won't have to back this because so many others are backing it. Once it reaches its goal you don't give them even more money or they get corrupt and spend it on stuff not related to the game.

That's the problem with fanatics is they worship the people who make the game not look at the game as a product that must fulfill their wish. You don't want to spoil people or they get weak. Do you think Vegeta would be nearly as tough as he is if Goku didn't stop and fight him and get in his way all the time to bash him up so that he is forced to train harder to grow his strength?

I didn't back mighty number 9 even though I wanted to see a megaman X successor. It's a small game that could be done by small team. Same thing with Star Citizen which is overshadowed by No Man's Sky.

You don't need to back it if you don't want to, but don't stop those that wish to back it either. (that's why I created the thread, so that people interested in it will back it even though I tend to prefer the older business model of waiting until developers just make it for free and then charge money later for more content when it is a proven success. (ie apogee software's shareware idea)

Look at games like World of Tanks or WarFrame. Great games that can be played without buying anything, and millions of paying people can provide money to keep the makers from starving.

I think that is what must be done with a Megaman spiritual sucessor game. Just make the thing free, then the sequel involves paying money. It will reach a lot of people because of being free, and become and ad, but the bulk of the money is made from sequels after it is proven not to suck. And if it sucks, it DESERVES to fail. That's the free market. (let the shit die off and the good stuff float up)

When a game gets a certain age, you just give it away as a gift. (make new stuff instead of selling old stuff)
Pirates then lose incentive to try to steal your game and sell it to make money from your work. (because you offered it free without any trojan horse viruses)
Everyone wins in a free market. (but the poor guy needs to be patient and the businessman must be careful of getting too greedy and fucking his reputation and image.. eg EA which censors forums)
Your games are only worth as much as what a person is wiling to pay. So if you make shit nobody likes or wants or needs, then don't feel entitled to make a living off of it. Just give it to people and move on and try to make something worthwhile. Same thing with movie industry which is making crappy stuff and scaring people from going to theatres as they know they will get ripped off and be better off pirating the movie first and then if its not shit they may buy dvd/bluray. (9 times out of 10 its a forgettable work that doesn't stick in your mind because of lack of passion behind the project since the greedy businessman is only in it for the money at the expense of polished product. This was the problem with Mighty No.9)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

So basically you are a parasite?
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:lol:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Rorschach wrote:So basically you are a parasite?
System shock has reached its goal as I predicted.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... -free-demo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Giving too much money results in half arsed games.

It's been proven with Mighty Number 9.
budget of 20xx (another megaman X clone but with roguelike gameplay): 20 grand
budget of Mighty Number 9: $4 million.

conclusion? Giving less money result in superior games. :up: I am helping by keeping my money and making the developers be less wasteful in resources. Going into the future to see which ones suck, saves me money.

The hardcore fans feel like MN9 could have been a LOT more polished and feel like a 2016 indie game made by masters of level design. What they got was only half arsed game that was delayed for no reason and tried too hard to appease casual audience.

Fanboys throw money at stuff based on name alone which is why you see shit sequels to old movies. Same rule applies to games.

But true fans (those who devote time playing the shit out of them) can highlight differences between old shit (which has just the right amount of challenge and fairness and becomes easier the more you try on replays) and the new shit (which feels like a cash grab and something a fan would make rather than industry veterens thanks to barely any need to avoid danger due to infinite dashing and emphasis on being flashy and doing combos and getting high scores).

I have lots of *memories playing old Megaman X games and like the stories in them so I feel happy that I didn't just blindly give away free money. That's for retards like you and candy to do since you don't know shit about games but have heaps of money to spare since you pirate them even if they are good games where developers really do deserve a reward for hard work. (ie by not failing)

I think capcom can take advantage of this, by maybe redoing all the old megaman X games in HD (like ducktales did by making the graphics cleaner) and even incorporate bonus battle modes where the game takes on a fighting game feel to it like street fighter.
(think of it like mini version of marvel vs capcom inside megaman x universe: see flash animation vid below)
Anyway congratulations on reaching the goal.
Pray it isn't shit like Star Citizen will be. :D

If Bloodstained sucks (looks good so far) I will pirate it like Candy Arse does with all the nintendo games on his pc instead of buying the official nintendo remasters.
Fuck the beggers. Get a job flipping burgers at maccas if you can't make games better than the past and take advantage of all the better technology we have today!

Today's generation should be saving their money up anyway. Only pay what you think something is worth. That's how the free market works guys. It's thanks to this you can wait a few months and a $100 game can be had for $50 if you are patient and don't need to be the first to play it all the fucking time. That's what allows people to play more games and sample a variety of very different things instead of just buying the same shit year after year.. (and then you complain EA treats you like crap when the games they make are shit like Star Wars which you freely hyped the shit out of on forums prior to release as if you yourself made the fucking game lol. That will teach you idiots to stop being a fanboy and sucking these people's cocks before you even play the game properly)

*It's not just the games themselves but the memorable metal/rock music tracks from the 90s. (missing from MN9)

loads of youtube vids of remixed megaman tunes floating out there showing people still remember these games fondly enough to remix them):
spark mandrill theme from megaman x 1
storm eagle theme from megaman x 1
to think: that was back when games actually had to fit into tiny cartridges. But today's games suck compared to them and just have filler content. Quality is getting worse imo which is why I think gaming is doomed. (another crash of the videogame industry is needed to scare away the mobile gamer generation) The pattern seems to be if companies have less money and worse technology they make better games because they can't afford to be lazy if they want to survive.
Last edited by GameHED on 12 Jul 2016 07:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

GameHED wrote: For those that didn't back the Ouya and waste money, you should have some loose change lying around. Don't be a pussy and take a risk once in a while. Help old series survive by giving them money to save the Shock franchise which we know started to go downlhill when it became an on-rails fps (Bioshock 3) instead of a rpg like it is supposed to be.

You've seen how good Yooka Laylee is, you've seen Bloodstained and its faithfulness to Symphony of the Night, and that is proof older series are worth saving by giving the beggers the money to do actual work. (not to mention how good Doom reboot turned out to be by keeping fast paced gameplay)

Just pretend Mighty Number 9 was a demo only and not megaman x reborn. (the $4 million is secretly being used to make a proper Aliens Colonial Marines game on the NX which doesn't suck like the first time they did it. Yes that is where it went..)
Like contradicting yourself much? Not only that, you are a pussy - by your own words.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I take risks, but calculated risks. There is a difference. Not contradiction.

You have much to learn.. You and Candy Arse just expect investors not to pay attention to details because you are dumb and think everyone is like you. The final work is what in the end matters, not who was involved or how much they were paid.

If a game is good it's good, no matter how much that is due to the money, the hype to make it happen which makes the project seem better than it is, or the names involved. (which creates confidence)

The game is just average-good just not $4 million awesome. The early concept art was what we expected. And looking at Bloodstained and its moody lighting, there is no reason it couldn't match the look of the early concept art. Otherwise just make it 2D like 20XX. It was a case of too much money from fanboys resulted in a game that didn't have to be awesome since there is no danger of it failing since they got all their money already (and more) so there is no incentive to try to make the best they could do by being passionate about it to please the fan. (why the need to? if they are happy just giving you excessive amount of money regardless?) Fanboys need to be careful about repeating that. Why have pride in being ripped off?
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Heh, non gamer in the extreme. I'm willing to support a developer in bringing a game to the market while you throw up facile arguments about why everyone else should support the game except you :lol:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Well to be fair if he did back it, his EB Area Manager may view it as a conflict of interest.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Rorschach wrote:Heh, non gamer in the extreme. I'm willing to support a developer in bringing a game to the market while you throw up facile arguments about why everyone else should support the game except you :lol:
Uh the develper still gets my money

A) if the game doesn't suck when it is complete (in other words I buy it after release)
B) when it goes half price and sucks but is still worth it for the reduced price.

In a free market things are worth what the market says they are worth. And that is what we as customers are willing to pay.

When you donate you are an investor. The investors should care about the thing being good enough quality to warrant the investment because they could use that money to invest in other projects that need the money more. Otherwise they will have contributed to making something that nobody wants.

Look at the treatment of the backers of star citizen that got in early:
they were dicked around and told the refund was no longer valid if the develpers broke the old terms of service.
I'd be pissed if I invested in it because by them trying to take the free money and not providing a product it shows they are not confident in their ability to get the work done as they imagined.

Now there is no guarantee that just because there is talent working on something that it will be awesome. What if the work ethic of the people behind it is shit and they lose passion? Or they are immoral bastards like the guys who did the aliens colonial marines game? So many factors to think about. With a publisher they can bully them into submission and hold the money back to force them to perform. You can't do that as easily if you are giving them free money and they get to tell you "no refunds. we got your money and now we don't have to give solid release or work to the standard originally set."

How do you know they are even working on anything? Who polices them? See what I'm saying?

The true gamers are realists. We know that if we give money too easily and don't criticise the product with the same level of harshness as the normal games made under publishers, we are lying to ourselves. That's why you should get angry when they don't provide good gameplay demo and reassure you with updates that things are going smoothly.
You are the dad checking up on your kids behavior and they are the kid that has been given responsibility.
That's how I see it.

If mighty number 9 was on one single platform ad came out quickly the game might have gotten better reviews because it wouldn't be aimed at wide audience. Next time they should try to focus on just the hardcore gamer first and if they want to make ports to other machines, they can do that. But prove the game doesn't suck first by putting 100% energy into the one game on the one platform first.

It's dumb guys like you that don't use common sense which allows bad stuff to exist. You got to look at the final product as it really is and decide if you were like a 12 year old kid with only a few dollars to spend on a game, would you buy the shit game knowing there are so many other awesome games for the same price? That's putting yourself in the shoes of the customer who buys the final thing.

In the old days games were made to perfection because of the limits of hardware and if you screwed up you still had to pay for the cartridges of all the unsold titles as nintendo were harsh on third parties.

They need to go back to the old days of being afraid something will fail. Today they are happy and don't have to give a fuck because the fanboys are just throwing money at them which means they are less and less eager to work as hard as way back in the 8bit and 16 bit days and make perfect product out of fear of never having a job again if they screwed up. Too much freedom can cause them to get lazy. Someone has to coach them and discipline them or they will go easy on themselves. Fanboys won't do that because they are just happy with mediocre title and are just acting like cheerleaders not coaches that guide the developers to ensure the game isn't a piece of shit.

If you want money, you got to provide something good. Just because you got it free, doesn't mean you can dick your customers and investors around like EA or candy arse who works there. (I suspect he is a gay male feminist that suggested the gay sex in dragon age inquisition. Really guys just leave your politics out of gaming. Don't shoe horn political shit into games and ruin franchises. Concentrate on not sucking please)
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

TL; DR. Reading a GameHED post is a serious waste of life.

In other news, got an email from the developer saying that System Shock will be coming to the PS4 now and all backers will get both versions of the game. Shows what a hard working development team this is_b
After a few weeks and lotttts of emails, we are officially on track for bringing System Shock to the PS4!No stretch goal for it. We’re adding it in as a thank you to our backers that put their faith in us.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Yeah just read about this:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... ing-to-ps4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is where a lot of the money will be made. PC section in ebgames is tiny compared to consoles.
You want to reach all platforms. Mighty No.9 did it the wrong way: it should have only been made for portables due to its graphics then when ports to other systems were made, it gets modified to match the specs.

PC gamers need to understand that console gamers help franchises actually survive. Open platforms offer too much freedom to the consumer to pirate your game. It's a fact ok?

Another good kickstarter/indiegogo game I'm looking forward to (Action/RPG by the makers of the Skull Girls):
These guys have proven themselves, so it doesn't surprise me it looks good.
This and BloodStained and that wonderboy spiritual sucessor are on my to-buy list once ready.