Titanfall 2 - campaign of the year?

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Re: Titanfall 2 - campaign of the year?

Post by Lepo5 »

GameHED wrote:Not if it's EA. The other half of the campaign is probably DLC pack which will be made available in 2 weeks. It's time they escaped them.

There's no season pass - all DLC will be free so your argument is a bit silly this time.
Candy Arse wrote:
Lepo the Legend gave me his pair for free.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

TF2 is something that I might get later on, possibly when it's on sale. Campaign mode and free DLC will push me over, and I never got to play the original.
For the record, I have no trouble with Origin. They recently redesigned it, downloads go fast, loads up quick.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Will buy soon, but only to show support for campaign mode being done but I want bigger games in future damn it.

Hopefully Hideo Kojima's next game will be Mad Max with mechs possessed by ghosts that fought for control in ancient times and gave the robots their souls as I predict so we have a proper world to explore. (aura battler dunbine meets macross with metal gear solid 5 open world to run around in) Mutant monsters (godzilla in small form) being the reptilian enemies you must use the robots to fight against. (their bodies are uniquely suited to the hot environments which the dragon race created hen terraforming the world for global takeover)
Sick of these short FPS campaigns.

We want comic book WORLDS with deep characters in digital form. Not realism.

Something like what Mad Max Fury Road is but to videogames where the machines are tools for basic survival because nature is cruel, not just for killing others but because the robot cockpits are like the womb for the pilot. (as well as used to construct buildings and repair other machines.) Technology is always seen as only used for killing in action games. But it should only be portion of what you use it for in a world. It can save lives, be used for dangerous search and rescue missions, police against giant monster, mining, exploring etc
Maybe Bethesda can come up with open world equivalent to Titanfall? But with dungeons and ancient abandoned ruins to explore to find hidden machines like the pokemon in pokemon games. (or souls in casltevania-metroid games) Give us bigger worlds that combine survival sims with action-rpg games. EA has so much money. They just waste it.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Fuck me how good is this game???

Seriously pushing Doom for my GOTY.

Origin is OK, just wish that game backups were handled as well as Steam, and wish it also had home streaming.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Ambrose Burnside

[Click to see hidden content]
And now I can travel through time. Man I think this game is going to get even better! :D
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Not really a spoiler but it ends a little abruptly, 9 levels isn't enough. 12 would have been perfect. Still, awesome game, more people should have bought, especially after the price on it dropped like a stone. Fake gamers like GameHED are killing the industry.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Ambrose Burnside

I just assumed this ran on Frostbite 'cos EA, but it actually runs on a heavily-modified Source engine! :shock:
Ambrose Burnside

Finished it on Regular difficulty. Didn't go out of my way to find all the collectibles or get all the Achievements, and Origin says 6 hours.

I feel like I got my money's worth. It was about the same as a movie ticket per hour (so far) and I haven't tried multiplayer yet :up:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I said it before: I think an option should exist in digital versions of games to opt to choose which portion of the game you want to buy and vote with your wallet.

If you just want to buy the campaign you can buy just the campaign mode.
If you want to buy the multiplayer mode you can buy the multiplayer mode.
If you want to buy both of the modes you buy both.

Much more flexibile system imo. They did this with Ironfall on the 3DS where you could choose not to buy the mode you wouldn't use.
This way the sales can tel the makers which version should be invested into more.

So lets say everyone is busy playing Battlefield multi and not Titanfall 3. The guys behind Titanfall know that for the next game they can avoid competing for the multiplayer shooter space with EA Battlefield (a much bigger name) by simply extending the single player campaign mode more than the multiplayer mode so that they don't waste time and money. (because everyone is busy playing other games online with their mates and ignores the multi part of Titanfall.)
If say the sales of the single player campaign of Titanfall 3 are twice as big in number than the sales of the multi mode of Titanfall 3, they can guage how much interest there is based on the numbers and assign more people in the mode that sells more. (I'm one of those guys that isn't into esports or competitive multiplay and wish I could buy just the campaign mode in all the call of duty games as I know I will never have time for multiplayer so why should I pay for it? By having a flexible payment system they can increase their sale of a game instead of people buying preowned copies from EB games. )

It's all EA fault for poor sales. When you take similar games and release at the same time you are forcing the little guy to compete against the big guy. They should have spread it out. Bastards. EA destrorys everything by owning it.

It's fake gamers like Rorschach that are killing the industry. They shoulod work for nintendo not EA. Imagine all those starving nintendo fans who wish they could have a great FPS frnachise on their platform like the old days when Rare was still making stuff like Golden Eye and PErfect Dark on the N64?? Thier efforts would not have been wasted as they are on working for EA on the other platforms imo. And the lower tech engine wouldn't be a problem for an underpowered console.

I think an action-RPG-FPS hybrid should be made of the franchise. Sort of like what Fallout 4 is to the fallout franchise now. (give us NPCs to talk to, missions to go on, metroid like envinronments to explore using the platforming skills of the player to unlock more areas to find more powerful things and gradually boost your abilities of the mech so you can boost jump a bit higher or sustain more damage.

But will they listen or just make a mindless arena shooter? Leave EA and "Respawn" at Nintendo already...

thanks to EA bad decisions and poor sales of the game there is unlikely to be a Titanfall 3:
http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/11/17/r ... itanfall-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See what EA do? They kill the stuff they own. Happened with Dragon Age series too. The people at the company could probably leave and work in secret on a Titanfall spiritual sucessor on nintendo switch and see what happens by supporting a console with less competition for FPS games. Nintendo could offer moneyhat to keep it exclusive and they just polish that one game and not have to worry about the need to outdo Battlefield.
This would be nintendo's answer to halo or COD games. Since nintendo can't do this type of game themselves they need second party to work on this. (but adapt it for people who are familiar with first person adventure titles like the 3d Metroid games by Retro)

What they could do is maybe even try to celshade or give the game a manga filter to make it look like an anime style mech combat title instead of go for gritty realism. Do you remember games like Shogo on pc? Had some great box art which reminds me of Shirow's Appleseed comic.
The central gimmick of the game is high attention to detail on the location based damage system. So every machine has flaws in the defenses and you adjust your fighting style based on the weaknesses of the mech mobs. (just like how in Halo you had the three alien types (zombies which surround you from all sides, high tech aliens with energy weapons and shields to fend off beam weapons, and robots which are heavily armored but slow and dumb as fuck which take orders from a gay Eyeball droid which hacks into everything)
Unlock other games where things just blow up, your mechas have several stages of damage to their parts that degrade its performance so you must always have backup crew to keep the machine in top condition and it will show in how damged something is by the amount of armor ripped off the frame and sparks and smoke effects. (eg the cyborg ninjas in the Arcade Ninja Warriors game is a good exmaple where you knew you were close to death when you lost all your human covering and just look like a robot skeleton fighting) Just by looking at your mech you can tell how badly it needs to be repaired. And the goal is to constantly exploit weaknesses of the enemy to get the most easy kill, without wasting your own energy. (there is a definite resource management and time management mechanic behind the action similar to dynasty warriors games) You can tell how much damamge your weapons do by little things like how much hit sparks come out when you score hits so you know what weapon type to be using on what part of the mech and what range the weapon is best used at. (much like halo where shotgun is the best on zombie but lousy in open spaces, and the energy weapons are crap by themselves aginst dodging enemies at range but need to be combined with grenades to bait them into running towards your plasma bolt to keep the agile guy busy while it travels toward them. And ballistic is best at range but you waste ammo if thye are blocking hits or seeking cover behind armor causing you to lose advantage if they rush you while raising up shield to kill you with sword which is instant kill)
The constant shifting of one type of weapon to another should be based on the mob types you encounter not what you like or dislike, that then keeps you from falling into predictable pattern and makes you react as the situation arises. (COD games are scripted so you know what to do before you get there because of previous attmepts you made before)

These guys need to learn from the previous sucesses of other companies. If everyone makes the same game, and the more well-marketed title steal your sale you got to do stuff that gets attention or sets you apart from the other guy. EA just buys whatever they think is trneding at the time. You got to go BEYOND what is current trend to see into the future trend so that you are already there before the other guy is.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Doesn't look like a port of Titanfall 2 is coming to the switch:
But who else can they sell Titanfall 2 to? They need the money.
EA needs to force these guys to port it like how Dragon Age 1 was forced to go to 360.

Respawn needs to look at the environment like it's a jungle and all the other animals/devlopers are competing for the food/resources/dollars of the consumer. Nintendo need a gritty FPS to appeal to the shooter fans which are a staple in the western market. The japanese people don't get that. And EA needs to expand beyond the dying home console market.

Seems like a no brainer decision to me for them to port it to switch. Even Wii U managed to get a port of Need For Speed Most Wanted. EA must be paranoid it's going to fail.. (even though they have so much money to throw around with all the DLC stuff they sell)

There is a rumour the dock is an upgradeable so even if EA don't code the games as well as first party software developers, the game can still run smooth.
Last edited by GameHED on 28 Jan 2017 09:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Why would it be released on Switch? It's a doomed platform.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

So was the Wii U but they still gave it Mass Effect 3 and Need For Speed MW.

Titanfall 2 being the last game in the franchise to be made makes sense to be ported now while they are sitting around on thier butts doing nothing. More exposure on more platforms = more money stupid. They can't make a seqeul because it sold like shit on existing platforms. Selling on as many platforms will boost its exposure. And nintendo needs to plug a gap in its library. Do you really think nintendo likes the idea of having to bring pokemon and mario to mobile phones? They just want to cash in on the idea that they can use the mobile games as ads to promote their real games on the dedicated games machines. And it worked.

Pokemon Sun and Moon is selling a lot better thanks to Pokemon Go.
you can't afford to underestimate the competition. (the rival animals in the jungle want to beat you to the resources/dollars)
It's like bruce lee's advice about martial arts style: "Go with what works for you." (Respawn are obviously being affected by the presences of other bigger franchises so they need to use the opportunity to go where there is less competition do you understand?)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Let us say for example they do port it to switch and the nintendo fans buy the game in droves and love it. This could mean they can make a titanfall 3.

Think of it from the perspective of a fan of the titanfall franchise who wants to see more games made.

At the current state the franchise is in, they are going to end up having to do other things. Much like Sega had to stop making Virtua Fighter games when it couldn't compete with Tekken.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Nintendo fans wouldn't buy Titanfall 2, and they won't have the choice. There will be some token 3rd party games on the Switch, then everyone will go back to the platforms where they can make money (PC/XBONE/PS4) while the Switch quickly appears in fire sales on the way out the door.

Switch doomed.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

It's really only doomed for the people who play those third party games on nintendo consoles. Most of us on GR own the platforms those third parties already develop their biggest games on.

That's why I don't get why people actually get angry when they can't play third party titles on nintendo systems which are pretty much designed for their own first party titles. (eg nintendo are the only ones that take full advantage of the gimmicks properly on their machines)

So you are half right. As long as these guys profit and they have fans in japan where everyone is happy to play on underpowered portable devices, they will not see benefit going third party. But they will have to do different things in order to stay relevent. Much like when DS came out. We all thought the gimmick of touchscreens was a reaction to PSP, but in fact the touchscreen thing took off and beat the better system. (just because of the gimmick, even though I didn't use it much and mostly bought the machine for castlevania)

For me gaming is about the games themselves more than hardware or how advanced the tech is. I still play retro titles on my 3DS while others are playing crappy mobile games. Having decent controls is key to keeping me happy. I as consumer don't care about the sales. So if they are doomed, I will just buy whatever platform they make games on when they go third party. But I don't see any benefit to nintendo going the path of sega either. Most of their own games do not need super advanced high fidelity graphics to enjoy them. (much like SNK or capcom fighting games or monster hunter. People are not playing pokemon for its visuals. )
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Titanfall 2 is awesome. Awesome multi awesome single player, I want to marry BT. You're a dickhead if you didn't buy it.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

A little harsh don't you think? I didn't buy it because 1. I have a backlog of other games I am slowly working through. 2. I would like to play the first one because I generally like to do that with games. 3. I don't think they did a very good job at marketing it.
Ambrose Burnside

1. Fair enough
2. The first is MP only
3. :lol:
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

Well to be fair.. I think the marketing just made it seem like another for the CoD generation. That did nothing to inspire me to consider it.
Also.. I only just got a Xbone S. So playing the first one is now possible :D
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

I was thinking that (point 3) the entire time I was playing it. This shows approximately 0% of what makes the campaign so good:
It doesn't make the game look bad, but definitely undersells it. I probably would have been there day one if I'd known what it was like, but then it was really nice to be constantly surprised during my playthrough.
Ambrose Burnside

I hadn't seen that trailer before. I see where you guys are coming from.

It won't go down as revolutionary as GTA3, but that was the last game that snuck up on me and I relied on word of mouth to the same extent as Titanfall 2.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Titanfall redefined movement in the fps genre. Titanfall 2 somehow improves it.

Then they make that single player campaign... amazing.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

What bugs me with the PC version when playing with controller, is there's aim assist enabled and I haven't found a way to disable it.

Gonna boot it up now, not really fussed about it, but I really need to continue the campaign mode.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

If anyone else preferred the on foot sections to the Titan bits, grab a cheap copy of Mirror's Edge Catalyst (it's entered ~$30 Corey territory). Obviously it's a different beast- you won't be shooting anything, and the story/characters are largely forgettable, but it really nails the wallrunning/climbing/exploring thing.

TFs movement is smooth, but it's essentially wallrunning with extremely generous collision detection. In Catalyst, you've got much more direct control over your actions. It's nowhere as steep a learning curve as the original Mirror's Edge, but it also doesn't feel like you're conveniently magnetised to the nearest vertical surface. Environments are more intricate as a result, and there's more of a puzzle element in getting where you want to go (at least if you want to get there quickly). It struck me as absurd that you can wallrun 15km in TF without breaking a sweat, but can't approach a wall head-on and run up it a little way then haul yourself up or jump away from the wall.

Different games, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

Yeah the wall running doesn't make a lot of sense, same with call of duty wall running, running around corners looks so wrong.