Notice: PlayNOW! & The Games Ranch membership

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I was getting ready to go out when (I'm changing the name to protect them) Pet sent me a link.

I quickly made a goodbye post at PN and then ran off to get ready and by that time it's a gag thread.

I couldn't give a fuck really...I'm stoned,I have KrispyKremes from my outing and I'm still not banned at PN to boot.Everything comes up roses for Cletus.

Marto...I have some doughnuts and I'm not sure if they're all working properly. :wink:
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Oh and one other thing Marto,though people are expressing contempt for WoW here,rest assured this forum is not based on nor was formed with that as a basis.It's merely a backlash and I'd guess temporary in most ways.

If you read the WoW sucks thread you'll notice that quite a few people admit to playing and enjoying WoW and they haven't been harrassed for it.

The show of contempt for the game is really just a display of the freedoms some feel they've lost at PN.

Personally I don't hate WoW.I don't love it either...but I'm not ruling out ever playing it again.

Not everyone here hates WoW but those that do are free to say so.

You'll find the same freedom and tolerance shown to anyone stupid enough to hate LIVE also. :)

But if they hate Cowboys...now there might be a problem there.
Seraph
The only seraph on the internet.
XBL ID: Seraphcon V

Post by Seraph »

Well, gag or not, my account was deleted at PN. Disappointing, given that I was still posting in Games/Hardware and Off-Topic forums there, and helping other members...
marto
Top Bloke

Post by marto »

Cletus wrote:Marto...I have some doughnuts and I'm not sure if they're all working properly. :wink:
Clearly you are going about it all wrong and will need a team of testers to help you. I am happy to head up the team and will charge the normal fee.
van

Post by van »

Surely it's time to start pretending PN doesn't exist, and just get down to the point of having a community? Every second thread on here right now is something to do with PN. Get over it fer fuck's sake, eh?
mxlegend99
I don't watch Rugby League
XBL ID: mxlegend

Post by mxlegend99 »

PN was a big part of our lives for so many years. It's hard to move on. :P Meh, the only thing missing is DJ Fusion here. When PN finally dies altogether, he will surely come here.
marto
Top Bloke

Post by marto »

van wrote:Surely it's time to start pretending PN doesn't exist, and just get down to the point of having a community? Every second thread on here right now is something to do with PN. Get over it fer fuck's sake, eh?
People have been going there for 6 years van. Show a little bit of respect, it will die down in time but let people move on in their own time.
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie
XBL ID: MrSlow88
PSN ID: MrSlow88

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

I have been visiting PN since 1998 - I remember the PN URL was one of the default bookmark in IE4/Win95C. It's kind of a sad that it's now all coming to an end (or will soon). :cry:
Last edited by K.T.Shoe[BMs] on 09 Jul 2006 08:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Yeah, PlayNOW has been a huge part of our online lives for such a very, very long time that it's going to be ages before we stop talking/thinking/referencing about it altogether. Killing the #playnow IRC channel was a good start though :thumbsup:
van

Post by van »

marto wrote:
van wrote:Surely it's time to start pretending PN doesn't exist, and just get down to the point of having a community? Every second thread on here right now is something to do with PN. Get over it fer fuck's sake, eh?
People have been going there for 6 years van. Show a little bit of respect, it will die down in time but let people move on in their own time.
Fair call, my apologies. A part of me is struggling to comprehend that so much of someone can be invested in an online community, but when it comes down to it, I've been online for 10 years now - less than some, more than others - and it's definitely a big part of my life. So yeah, apologies.
Pat

Post by Pat »

I think your first point was fine though, van. It's time to move on. Playnow was just a site that has been taken over by the attitudes and biases of one admin in particular. The community itself is no different and has moved on. :up:
Jub-Jub
Annoying high-res logo
Annoying high-res logo

Post by Jub-Jub »

I disagree, I don't like that PlayNOW has been left behind but I have to go if everyone else does.

I never had a problem with WoW, and I never had a problem when ilce posted his WoW video in the main games forum. In fact, I enjoyed the video as I had never seen WoW played before. Clearly some people got angry about that thread when it wasn't a big deal.

I joined PlayNOW in Jan 2000 (over 6 years ago) and it has been an awesome forum. Too bad it went the way it did. Although ilce may be to blame I still feel that some here have at least seom share in that blame. As a regular poster and member of PlayNOW I can say that i never has a problem with anytrhing that happened and did not even know there was an issue until suddnely I got an invite to this forum.

I will stay here as it appears PlayNOW has become simply a WoW forum due to the mass exodus. I just hope 3 things:

1) That the creators of this forum make sure that everyone at PlayNOW is aware of the existence of this new forum and invited to join.

2) That everyone at this forum promotes it as new members are always good, and are necessary to keep an online community interesting.

3) That the new mods of this forum don't abuse their powers (to do so would be hypocrtical).

Thats my opinion.

Cheers,

Jub-Jub.
Jub-Jub has spoken.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

1 person is to blame, the reason this place exists is a result of this person.
it wasn't just a the WoW thread, it was many things.

the only reason the people behind game ranch could be blamed for the exodus is for making this option available... they didn't want PN to go down believe me.

at the end of the day ilce has what he wants (PlayWOW) and most of us have what we want.
we all love the PlayNOW! of old, it's sad, I was also there for over 6 years but after the shit that wend down things had to change, and I personally think games ranch is a breath of fresh air... time to look forward.
Professor of Grand Theft Autoligy

Post by offline »

Jizzy McLobber wrote:1 person is to blame.
I was not invited to this forum (found it from 4BG actually as I knew a new site had started) and it wasn't until the WoW forum moved to the top that I even cared about PlayNOW! and the in-fighting going on.

Not once had I visited that section since I figured it was for the users of that one game and really didn't bother me at all. Why shouldn't there be a meeting place for people to enjoy a game together?

The only issues I had were first the removal of certain users from the Live section, then the subsequent removal of that section. The final straw however was as I said earlier with the changed order to have WoW as the main focus of the site.

I had been with PN for six years myself and been through all the hackings and other parts. It started as the forum being an add-on section which I didn't sign up to for a while after it launched.

This is the first and last post I will be adding about that other site - it is time to move on for me. I have deleted the bookmark and removed all traces as the users (the whole purpose of a forum) are now here give or take.
Jub-Jub
Annoying high-res logo
Annoying high-res logo

Post by Jub-Jub »

I am worried if offline didn't get an invite to here.

Everyone at Playnow should get an invite. In addition, new users should be encouraged to join.

I am concerned that the games ranch might just become a forum mainly made up of the posts of half a dozen individuals. I'd much rather have a more numerous posting population.
Jub-Jub has spoken.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

everone is welcome, we'd like to invite everyone but most people have been banned or their accounts have been deleted

if you mention this place over there they'll ban you.
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Jizzy McLobber wrote:everone is welcome, we'd like to invite everyone but most people have been banned or their accounts have been deleted

if you mention this place over there they'll ban you.
It's true. I had no issues with WOW at all or anything else for that matter. I stuck primarily to the NRL thread and got banned for mentioning here.

In turn, i now hate WOW for what it done to PlayNOW :up:
Cardsy

Post by Cardsy »

OMG!!! The games forums at Playnow have moved back up to the top of the forum. Everyone move back now!!!! :(
mxlegend99

Post by mxlegend99 »

Cardsy wrote:OMG!!! The games forums at Playnow have moved back up to the top of the forum. Everyone move back now!!!! :(
:lol: And with 0 posts in the past 24 hours.
amba
Nice beaver!
Nice beaver!

Post by amba »

Look, I think a lot of people are mourning for 'the old' Playnow, but you've also got to remember that there is sweet bugger all happening in the games industry right now- no games, no announcements, nothing.

If Wii names its price/ release date, if Sony tell us what the online service is for PS3 or some Halo 3 screenshots get released, then games will be back on the agenda as it should be.

As for me- I was a Playnow member since 1999 but only made a few posts back then, lurked ever since until I was deleted during the first spate of bannings. I moved over because the community made the site, not the site itself. And because of it, I've decided to participate now as well.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/amba][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/amba.png[/img][/url]
Reckers

Post by Reckers »

K.T.Shoe[BMs] wrote:I have been visiting PN since 1998 - I remember the PN URL was one of the default bookmark in IE4/Win95C. It's kind of a sad that it's now all coming to an end (or will soon). :cry:
True. PlayNOW has been the one constant in my online life since I got the internet at home in 96. I've gone through 3 or 4 usernames as I forgot passwords or changed email addys, even though I pretty much only lurk and hardly post.

It's like moving out of the family home. Sad but with "Dad" kicking must of us out, inevitable.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

I once moderated there... back when ODWF was getting hacked all the time. The idea was to setup an ODWF section and I was to moderate that because I was a mod at the ODWF at the time too.
Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind
Memories, sweetened through the ages just like wine,
Memories, memories,
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie
XBL ID: MrSlow88
PSN ID: MrSlow88

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

Some very good points made above, and we should aim to invite as many users from Playnow as possible. I only joined here because of the PM from Pat.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Attempts are being made and it looks like most active punters have been notified.

Remembering that there are several checks in place that are making a public announcement difficult.
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

Yeah be careful, I sent a PM to Corey. I was later banned and fined $30