Chromehounds = GOTY

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Pat

Chromehounds = GOTY

Post by Pat »

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=65927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eurogamer review is up, sounds awesome :up:

Looks like you picked a winner, pilon.
There are six fundamental classes of mech, and they each approach battle in a certain way: soldiers get down and dirty on the frontlines, defenders are blockers with ludicrous armour and even more ludicrous weapons, scouts are used to secure advanced objectives and, well, scout, heavy gunners handle artillery, snipers are best deployed hundreds of metres from the firefight too, and tactics commanders can roam where they like, sipping from a glass of engine oil as they direct the battle.
By joining or recruiting for a squad, you can engage in the main event - an actual war - pushing and pulling the lines back and forth. It's a bit more of a commitment than simply turning up one evening because you're bored, but with the right crowd it can be quite interesting. Success in battle results in substantive gain, and with three main sides it's possible to completely wipe one out and have them surrender. As you go, all sorts of damage is done and all sorts of point-heavy medals conferred - with the ultimate achievement complete victory over your rivals. Team sizes are a bit small, but it's forgivable when you're in a well-specced unit and you're up against a similarly intelligent enemy. There are various game-types, and an interesting take on the usual blanket voice-communication facility.
control of the COMBAS towers, in particular, has a tangible importance that resonates throughout with greater effect than any of the other UT-Domination-inspired game ideas I've encountered recently. ....t's a well implemented idea.
Read the full review for more. I'm sold :dblthumbs:
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Was that the dodgey lump of fuck we downloaded a week or so ago because if it is oh my god.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I didn't think the demo was that bad actually. Maybe because I had low expectations.
Sonic Jam
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!
Hates Gaming. FORUM PARADOX!

Post by Sonic Jam »

Did you guys click the link?
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Just read that review, and thank god i didn't bother downloading the demo. I thought the singleplayer might of had some hope but this little snippet says it all.

The single-player game sows the seeds for this slothful pace in endless brown and gold and grey fields of battle that you have to plod across for what seems like an eternity to get anywhere. Often while your commander-du-jour is busy telling you to get a move on in gratingly affected tones. Cleverly, the developers also throw in huge mountains you can't climb and rivers of mud that slow you down - you can avoid them, but usually it takes longer anyway. As for the scout missions I mentioned - some of them simply involve pootling around for a quarter of an hour in the dark. Well done.

Once you do get somewhere exciting, you can switch between up to four weapon sets with the right bumper and fire at will, clicking in the right analogue stick to switch between third- and first-person views - the latter zoomed depending on the weapon. But the combat's awful. The third-person camera is angled down slightly with no crosshair, so you can scarcely aim at anything without relying on the window-in-window first-person view - something that never came naturally while I was on the front. Played in first-person, your peripheral vision's suddenly grossly limited, but at least you can hit things; providing you can get the awkward analogue aiming to fix on a target, or your view isn't being horribly obscured (and the game slowed down) by billowing smoke and explosive effects (which still fail to mask the way certain enemies, particularly tanks, simply fade away once they're hit, rather than actually disintegrating). Tactics commanders have it a bit better, but not much - they can avoid battle, and don't have to pootle around so much, but their reward is, er, watching coloured icons move very slowly across a map screen.

Thank christ for all the testers in here that tried it out first, saved me some time :up:
Talez
Choc #2
Choc #2
Location: Froggy's basement faking being in the United States

Post by Talez »

Sounds like Mechassault on the DS might win the mech wars this generation :lol:
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

The single player isn't the focus. It's multiplayer focused. I'll still give it a try.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I didn't click the link but I have now and I'm glad I did.

Sounds like Pilon's next-gen Chase tip! :lol: :fight :lol:
Pat

Post by Pat »

Prey > Chromehounds

Pat - 1

Pilon - 0

:fight:
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

:laugh: Chase, I haven't heard of that one in a while.

Chase > Stuntman

Chrome Hounds > Prey

Flatout > Pat.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Get fucked. I pimped Flatout and it was awesome.

My money is on Prey shitting all over Chromehounds in reviews. Hell, even Fahrenheit out-scored Chromehounds :fight

Prey > pilons kiss of death
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

My kiss of death is a thing of the past.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Chromehounds begs to differ.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Pat wrote:Chromehounds begs to differ.
:lol: :fight :lol:
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I would have thought Pat would have enjoyed Chrome Hounds since there are no garage issues.

How's that $400 doorstop going?
Pat

Post by Pat »

Better than the Chromehounds demo.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I reckon you played the Chrome Hounds demo longer than you did SB.
Replica
Almost Original

Post by Replica »

What a disapointment! I was really chomping at the bit for this game, especially after seeing that first set of E3 videos that looked amazing. Sadly that review just confirmed what I realised from the piece of shit demo.