Megaton! The Last of Us Part 2 announced.

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

flipswitch
que
que

Megaton! The Last of Us Part 2 announced.

Post by flipswitch »

Officially finished it this evening. Forgot to check my playtime but around 30hrs.

I don’t know how I feel in regards to was it really as good as they said it was. I wouldn’t give it a 10 however. Had some things I didn’t like, but I felt they could have done things better in some situations.

I’m glad the spoiler I saw in a Twitter post wasn’t true. The writing was a bit all over the place. Had some great moments, and the gameplay can get intense. New mechanics were very much welcomed, like going prone, shoulder switching, jumping.

It’s hard to say more without spoiling things. So I’ll keep it at that. Oh, I don’t know why some reviewers refused to review it? What was the problem they had? What I didn’t liked was it had some really stupid decisions like,

Best to read when completed game.
Spoiler!
When Abby and Ellie finally meet up and were fighting in the theatre, Abby had a chance to kill Ellie with the gun but she said something like “ I don’t want to see you around here again” and let her go. Why didn’t she kill her when Ellie killed all her friends including Owen? And I thought Abby killed Tommy, but nope he still popped up after in the game.
Spoiler!
Did we really need another first fight at the end? ND loves doing this.

The game felt unnecessary long, they really went too far with things and they could have ended earlier and I would have liked it more.

Now that it’s done I can go back to Xenoblade Chronicles definitive edition which I just started playing.

I popped my Days Gone disc back in.
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Re: Megaton! The Last of Us Part 2 announced.

Post by Lepo5 »

Ha! just finished as well at 30hrs.

Great game! - agree on that 2nd spoiler though, that was tiresome.
Candy Arse wrote:
Lepo the Legend gave me his pair for free.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Flip, in regards to reviewers refusing to review it, maybe it's because they weren't allowed to mention the second half of the game? I dunno, just speculating. I'll read your spoilers when I'm done which at the pace I'm going will be another week and half. :lol:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I hope I don’t give the impressions that’s it’s a bad game. I enjoyed it, probably an 8 and bit out of ten .

It was more GOTY material during the middle/second half of the game.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Getting close to the TV station. Loving it so far. Good choice getting rid of the shivs that breakdown after a couple of uses like in the original.
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

I've gone straight onto Uncharted, another franchise I've never played but respected. I'm on a remastered ND binge!!!
Candy Arse wrote:
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

guttermouth wrote:Getting close to the TV station. Loving it so far. Good choice getting rid of the shivs that breakdown after a couple of uses like in the original.
The only thing I hated about the shivs in the first game was you had to choose to either save them for locked doors or risk missing out on supplies.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Just got some medical supplies from an ambulance in Seattle, you could see what was coming. Had to stop there as it was time to leave for work. From memory I'm at around 40hrs now and I'm definitely enjoying the second half more than the first.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I remember that part. How did you go with the
Spoiler!
Boss fight at the end?

Game is indeed great. Just dragged on too much near the end, but very pleased to have finished it.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Haven't completed that part yet, had to stop.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

flipswitch wrote:I remember that part. How did you go with the
Spoiler!
Boss fight at the end?
Congrats on finishing the game, I know you usually add games to the backlog and this one is crazy long!
Spoiler!
Gave it proper go last night after work. When I first tried it before I thought I only had a couple of narrow corridors to run down but when I came back the camera was facing another way that showed a window frame to jump through. I tried well over a dozen times, was crazy hard on Survivor. After 3 grenades and a couple of shotguns it broke off into two. I was running low on ammo. I had one of the sniper pistol, 4 of the normal pistol and about 30 in the flamethrower. I eventually managed to unload all of those but it still wasn't dead. I kept trying hoping to find more ammo and it was looking bleak. Then I realised I had 15 left in the flamethrower I just needed to reload. Managed to kill it with 0 ammo left.

Now just starting Seattle Day 3 where you bump into your mate and there's a sniper. Stopped there.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I reckon that boss fight was the highlight of the game.
So many times the game nods to Days Gone, but in that section, it was Resident Evil. :D
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Yep, very resident-evil like, they may have got the idea from it.

There was another difficult encounter with limited space which took me like 10 attempts to beat.

It was
Spoiler!
when you were with the kid with the scar on his face and his sister. You had to break out of this location, like a house, they managed to get out through the window at the top but you were left inside, and then you have to defeat tons of different types of infected.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Thought I was at the end, some epilogue playing happy families but nooooooo, had to Google to see how much was left. It's a long game.
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

I thought I'd finished a few times and then when it did finish I was waiting for the next chapter.
Candy Arse wrote:
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Finished. Will write up my opinion some time tomorrow.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Yeah, always best to let a game like this sink in a bit.

One thing I forgot to mention was how miserable they make Seattle seem.
Even without the fictional or real zombie apocalypses, it seems cold, wet, windy and miserable. Fuck ever going there.

Jackson Wyoming seemed cool though.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I liked the enemy encounters there, with the long tall grass, rundown buildings with multiple levels, some decent enemy A.I, dogs always on your trail. Made for some great survival gameplay. I couldn’t wait to get out of Jackson! :)
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Just going to discuss spoilers and shit in here, the other thread I'll do my spoiler free review.
Spoiler!
First let me say I preferred Abby's campaign way more than Ellie's, hands down. I liked the path it took and how she looked after those kids to make up for her guilt of killing Joel and the introduction of other settlements. The only part I didn't like in the whole campaign was riding through the burning village.

I don't buy all those 'woke' shit excuse. I've never had a problem with people's sexuality as long as I can remember so the actual story didn't bother me at all, it was just the way it was told. This could've been handled a lot better and make into two separate campaigns like Resident Evil 2. Paths crossing, play in a different order for subtle changes. The game is called 'The Last of Us' not 'Joel and Ellie's Bogus Journey'. We could've started with Abby and her Journey to Jackson with scenes between chapters building up her relationship with her Dad until the scene in the cabin with Joel, then show her Dad being killed so it all made sense as opposed to Joel dying pretty much straight away and then being forced to play Abby. It felt wrong at first but as it progressed I liked her more and more.

What I did like about the whole revenge thing from Ellie's story was her obsession with killing Abby lost her the one gift that Joel gave her, the ability to play the guitar because Abby bit off her fingers.

Was the game too long? Yes and no, yes it seemed to drag because it never seemed to end but then no because the actual gameplay is amazing and because I love stealth I got a lot of enjoyment out of it. I did feel like rushing towards the end of Santa Barbara though but it ended how I expected, with Dina leaving was the icing on the cake, Ellie lost everything that was dear to her.
Overall I loved my time with the game and the set pieces were fantastic, so well designed. Highly recommended.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Spoiler!
Man, the burning village looked sensational though.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Just started this a few days ago, am currently working through Seattle. Enjoying it so far, more unbiased impressions to come.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Twiztid Elf wrote:
Spoiler!
Man, the burning village looked sensational though.
Oh yeah it did, not denying that.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

I didn't enjoy the gameplay in TLoU enough to get into it and nothing about the sequel looked like it'd change my mind, but I was curious to see what all the fuss was about... so I did the unthinkable and watched a compilation video of all of the cutscenes and relevant gameplay sequences. The story had a couple of minor problems but for the most part I thought it was really good, the characters are great. Some of the visuals are amazing, there were a couple of moments I thought a YouTube ad had started because the image on the screen looked practically photorealistic (at least until a character was in frame- not that they look bad at all, but they don't look real either). I'm sure this isn't the first game to do it but I liked that when an enemy found one of their friends that the player had killed they'd sometimes refer to them by name and get angry or upset. Nice touch that made the baddies feel a little less generic and worked well with the bigger story. While I'm sure it was a selling point for many, I think the violence would have worn me down a bit over 25-odd hours.

No regrets- I'm not going to make a habit of "watching" games in this manner but I'm glad I did with this one. I've got the remaster of the first game so maybe I'll go back and try it again some day, but with my backlog I doubt I'll ever find the time.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

I recently watched a review from one of my preferred reviewers. He heavily criticised the story, drawn out length and generally depressed nature of the game. One thing he flagged as generating a lot of heat from the aggrieved crowd is the physique of one of the female leads. She's built like a brick shithouse. Both myself and the reviewer are completely fine with the likelihood of someone in a kil-or-be-killed dystopia having a powerful rig.

I've been avoiding spoilers on the off chance I may play it one day.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Further to above I hopped onto a reddit thread about Abby's muscles. Lol. Apparently 'medically Abby makes no sense' because she doesn't have access to the food, supplements, testosterone and/or steroids these learned reddit users say is required for Abby's physique in this fictional scenario. Oh and then there are those who say she must be trans. Ah gamers.