Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

DOOM - THE GAME RANCH'S 2016 GOTY

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

FINAL SCORES

Titanfall 2 (PC) - 10 points. Holy shit what a wild ride! Short but sweet, zero filler content. Even the level where you're stripped off all your guns (standard FPS trope it seems) is freaking awesome considering the pistol you're given and the level design. Have yet to play MP, but it can't be worse than Doom's disappointing MP, which makes Titanfall 2 my 2016 GOTY due to its incredible campaign. As a massive Doom fanboy, I can't believe Doom was topped! Unlike Doom, the DLC is done right too, no season passes, all free. EA really did fuck up its release date. Do yourselves a favour and pick it up on the cheap if you missed it amongst CoD and Battlefield 1.

Doom (PC) - 9 points. The original Doom is my favourite game ever. I appreciate Doom 3 more now than I did when it first came out and was competing with Half-Life 2 but it's still nothing compared to the original. Doom 2016 is an amazing modern take on what made the original so much fun. A remake done right. And it keeps getting better with regular free updates (like the update that added bots).

FIFA 17 (PC) - 8 points. I got addicted to the new story mode, and now I'm addicted to career mode. Increasing the difficulty as I go and get used to the way FIFA plays. Some things still annoy me (the way your players just stand there like idiots waiting for the ball to get to them instead of running to meet it shits me off so much), but it's the best sports game out there. Except for maybe PES on console :(

Battlefield 1 (PC) - 7 points.
I haven't played a lot of it yet (~8 hours), but I have played through the whole SP campaign (thoroughly enjoyable despite historical inaccuracies all over the place) and have played a couple of online games. It has that Battlefield magic I personally feel has been missing since Battlefield 2. And WW1 reminds me of Warhammer 40k in its aesthetic.

Total War: Warhammer (PC) - 6 points. This should really be on top of the list but I just haven't played it enough (yet). Didn't really know what I was doing, made some dumb decisions, ended up in a hopeless situation. Will re-visit.

Bullet Train (Oculus Rift) - 5 points. It's just a demo (the full version, Robo Recall, will be free to all Touch owners) but holy shit THIS is the game to show off to VR newbies. The game starts on a train that pulls into a station full of baddies. My wife was crouched on the ground by the door of the train and as it opened she tried to run away :lol: I had to grab her cos she was so engrossed she wasn't noticing the GIANT GRID that appears when you're close to walls in real life :lol: You can't die in the demo, but don't tell people when they try it out. Record the hilarity. The video of my MiL? GOLD :lol:

Lucky's Tale (Oculus Rift) - 4 points - It's a total rip-off but a solid platformer and a great way to show off the Rift to friends and family. I just love watching people's reactions when they play it for the first time, it's like when I first played the original Doom :D

Didn't make the cut due to not playing enough of them: The Witcher 3: GOTY, The Division, Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens

ALL HAIL THE YEAR OF THE FIRST PERSON SHOOTER!!!

:allbow:
Last edited by Ambrose Burnside on 26 Jan 2017 04:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Re: GOTY 2016

Post by t0mby »

Haven't played much this year so not sure if I can give an honest opinion. My Uncharted 4 completion sits at 83% cos I'm stuck on chapter 18 at the Ship Yard as I'm playing on Crushing difficulty and refuse to downgrade it.

Other games I've played that were released this year off the top of my head, Dirt Rally, Doom, Deus Ex, Titanfall 2 (Xmas pressie, unplayed yet), Alien Nation. Actually, I did finish Alien Nation, that's excellent. Will write something up over Jan once I've played a bit more Doom, Titanfall and maybe finished Deus Ex.
Ambrose Burnside wrote:hoping some Touch games get on my list before I fly out! :D
Jizzlobber recommends you invite a few understanding friends around!
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Good thread, was actually thinking about this the other day. I'm going to leave a list of games here for myself for later on while it's fresh in my head.

Doom
Total Warhammer
Street Fighter 5
Madden 17
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak
Inside
Tyranny
The Way
XCOM 2
Deus Ex MD
Forza Horizon 3
Last Guardian
Witcher 3 Blood and Wine
Last edited by Candy Arse on 09 Dec 2016 07:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

It's been a solid year of gaming, and while DLC is not normally looked at for GOTY material, Blood and Wine is it for me.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

^ Agree. This will be the first time in a long, long time that I'll be putting 10 games on my list.
Still have Dead Rising 4, Last Guardian and Doom to play, and I know for a fact that at least two of them will be on my top ten list somewhere.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

I don't know if I'll make it to 10 this time but damn I enjoyed the games I played this year. I know there were some bangers that I didn't get around to so I look forward to seeing everyones picks.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Superhot - Indie Genius, play this game

DOOM - I have a lot to rant about this game but it still get my vote. I love it to death and really enjoy it but the things they got wrong are just insulting to someone who's been into doom since the beginning, or more accurately someone who has played the latest brutal doom recently. Speech, NO. Human villain, NO. Robot sidekick interupting you by radio, NO. Waypoint radar, NO. Weapon Upgrades, NO. Getting lost due to bad level design instead of getting lost due to good level design, NO. Rinse and Repeat objectives punctuated by action that means nothing because you get health boosts and weapon upgrades every 5 seconds, NO. Lack of traps, NO. NO. NO. NO! Still love it, but fuck it gets my goat.
Its like they sugared up DOOM with halo, cod and half life just so new gamers could stomach it. Play Brutal Doom v20 instead, it is seriously everything Doom 4 should be.

Shadow Warrior 2 - Awesome! This is how you don't insult you player base.

Street Fighter V - Don't believe any rubbish you might hear about this game. It is a complete package and very well done. Probably the sole reason I made the jump to the master race was this game; seeing as I didn't have to buy a new joystick I saved $200 or so on my PC really which was justification enough.

FIFA 17 - Brand new engine. Feels really fresh. Single player journey mode is cheesy as shit but a fun romp through. Ultimate team still as evil and awesome as ever. I was playing FUT on xbox 360 last year so jump this was absolutely mind blowing.

Toxikk - Get ready for Quake champions mother fuckers the arena shooter is back! I'm so glad this game was made, it is just was I wanted.

For once I played a bunch of shit that came out in the current year that I actually enjoyed besides fifa and street fighter. New hardware is fun.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

It was a good year, not the most memorable but a consistent flow of good games throughout the year. My provisional list, will score later. That said, I have spent more time playing through Witcher 3 than any of the below games this year and still haven't started the DLC.

The Division
Battlefield 1
Owlboy
Titanfall 2
DOOM
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Forza Horizon 3
Gears of War 4
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Atlas Reactor
Uncharted 4
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

BOOMY wrote:DOOM - I have a lot to rant about this game but it still get my vote. I love it to death and really enjoy it but the things they got wrong are just insulting to someone who's been into doom since the beginning, or more accurately someone who has played the latest brutal doom recently. Speech, NO. Human villain, NO. Robot sidekick interupting you by radio, NO. Waypoint radar, NO. Weapon Upgrades, NO. Getting lost due to bad level design instead of getting lost due to good level design, NO. Rinse and Repeat objectives punctuated by action that means nothing because you get health boosts and weapon upgrades every 5 seconds, NO. Lack of traps, NO. NO. NO. NO! Still love it, but fuck it gets my goat.
Its like they sugared up DOOM with halo, cod and half life just so new gamers could stomach it. Play Brutal Doom v20 instead, it is seriously everything Doom 4 should be.
Wow, this is so close to how I feel about Dead Rising 4 so far (except it won't be my personal goty).

Dead Rising 4 - I have a lot to rant about this game. I love it to death and really enjoy it but the things they got wrong are just insulting to someone who's been into Dead Rising since the beginning. Timers, NO. Psychopaths, NO. Any sense of urgency, NO. Any sense of fear/pressure, NO. Any challenge, NO. Zombies behaving like zombies, NO. A story that ties into the canon properly, NO. Characters with realistic motivations, NO. An interesting story, NO. A real Frank West, NO. Rinse and Repeat objectives punctuated by action that means nothing because you get health boosts and weapon upgrades every 5 seconds. Having to learn the map, NO. NO. NO. NO! Still love it.
Its like they sugared up Dead Rising with Dynasty Warriors just so new gamers could stomach it. Play Dead Rising 1 instead, it is seriously everything Dead Rising 4 should be.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

From what I've really played this year:

Rhythm Paradise Megamix - 10pts
Monster Hunter Generations - 9pts
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Doom - 10 points
No Man's Sky - 9 points. Because fuck you all, I like it, and I only played two new games this year anyway.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Interesting you say that elf. DR3's inclusion of vehicles was a real game changer for me and injected the series with the urgency and fun factor I no longer felt after the tedium of DR2's DLC. Sad to hear DR4 doesn't carry the fun through(i havent yet got to DR4). Both DR4 and DOOM4 are like listening to the 'bad' album of your favourite band, lol.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Doom 4 is nothing like listening to St Anger!
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

BOOMY wrote:Interesting you say that elf. DR3's inclusion of vehicles was a real game changer for me and injected the series with the urgency and fun factor I no longer felt after the tedium of DR2's DLC. Sad to hear DR4 doesn't carry the fun through(i havent yet got to DR4). Both DR4 and DOOM4 are like listening to the 'bad' album of your favourite band, lol.
The opinions are split.
Purists often complain that things like time limit being taken out were so casuals can have fun. Then to add insult to injury you got to pay for it as DLC. Not being faithful to old things = disrespect to the franchise to some.
Capcom = the new EA (except for certain franchises like MH)

Remember the change of the RPG titles like Dragon Age ("Baldur's Gate spiritual succesor") into more casual-friendly combat for later sequels to make it feel more like a console games? The reasons for change is usually to make them more widely appealing (ie profitable). It doesn't mean "shittier", but fans of the original games often don't want change.

Same thing happened with Fallout franchise when it went into FPV. "The franchise is doomed!" the purists yelled. Ok maybe it's not as good as original fallout games, but combat is fun and as a fan of the old and new games, I can appreciate this as I become more casual as a gamer. (in the old days I would replay a single game many times not just once through and then move to other games) People's attitudes to games change over time.

An example is when halo 1 came out the whole regenerating health thing became the fad and having quickj saves just before your death was a popular thing because it meant replaying hard situations was bearable and made the game feel fast paced despite letting you walk around long distances so you didn't have to repeat boring sections again and again when you failed.. But people who liked to die and learn from mistekas (like the missions in Golden Eye where having to find the armor by exploring every little corner of the maps to increase your chance of getting out of the facility alive became a thrilling challenge of patience and consistency of skill) got sick of this shit when it started to appear in all the FPS games because there was no consequences for being a careless/reckless person.
Neither casual friendly games or hardcore friendly games is good or bad, but it's just a case of whether you are casual in your gaming or hardcore in your gaming. Many people who were hardcore as kids now don't have the time to invest in games as much as they once did and like the fast-paced style of gaming. So it all depends on how you play games.

I personally don't think exploration is why Dead Rising was fun. It is more to do with the idea that you are weak, they are strong, and doing things quickly is the point of the game because you don't have forever to enjoy looking at everything in one go if you wish to survive the experience. Games where exploration is fun are Metroid games where you are in a mysterious place discovering things you have no knowledge about and slowly piecing the puzzle together to solve the mystery. Action games like Dead Rising is about doing the task quickly, getting out alive, not staring at the zombies and taking selfies. Beating them up was just part of survival, not the focus of why you are there. The noobs of today need to understand that tension builds up the less time you have left and that is part of the thrill, because everything is urgent. You can't be in all places at once and that makes every decision you make actually matter.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Want to play a bit more of Watch Dogs 2 before I vote but can't see myself going past Hitman for top spot
Replica
Almost Original

Post by Replica »

Doom - 10 points - Expected this to be average at best. This did everything so very well.
Civilization 6 - 9 points - Put a crazy amount of time into it. The first Civ in a long time to release with more and better mechanics than it's predecessor without needing expansions.
Titanfall 2 - 8 points - Criminally under purchased. Combines the most graceful movement system in any FPS with wicked level design. The single-player was great as well.
Dark Souls 3 - 7 points - More of the same but prettier. Much denser and better thought out design than DS2. Still prefer Bloodborne though.
Deus Ex MKD - 6 points - Gorgeous design, fantastic production and less linear than the last one. Wish it was a bit more diverse in locale.
Streetfighter 5 - 5 points - Content light, but still wonderful to play. Shame it was released too early and Capcom has made a hash of it. Wish I had more time to play.
Gears of War 4 - 4 points - Paint by the numbers gear game, looks fantastic on a decent PC or telly. Fun if not predictable.
Duke Nukem 3d: 20th Anniversary World Tour - 3 points - Everything a Duke fan could want. Good new content, well done remaster and stacks of extras.
Pile of unopened games I have not had the time to play - 2 points - Forza Horizon 3 looks rad, Dishonoured 2 gets played when I beat the first one. Fallout 4 is installed and ready to go. Final Fantasy 15, maybe someday.
Internet response to No Man's Sky - 1 point - Eh, it was pants but I didnt play as much this year as I would like. The subreddit for this made it's release worthwhile.
Last edited by Replica on 12 Jan 2017 03:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/replicav2.png[/img]
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

I can't really claim to be a gamer. It's been that way since my son was born.

So I'll give my vote to the only titles I played this year.

10 points Forza Horizon 3

9 points Pokemon Go
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I already want to put Titanfall 2 on my list and I've only played the first level. It's like Mirrors Edge and Vanquish had a baby. So good.
emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

I got a new gaming PC earlier in the year, and thought I'd be able to get right up with the best games released this year.

Then I spent my entire time playing Witcher 3 and didn't even get to the Blood and Wine expansion!

I got Doom and started to play it, then we had our second kid and I've barely slept the last month.

Next year I might play more games.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

I just play halo 5 and rocket league so I got nuthin

forza horizon 3 and titanfall 2 are both tops, but I haven't finished either because halo 5
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Post by ObSoLeTe »

yeah i think Doom takes the cake for my GOTY

i know it doesnt count but theres been nothing in the last 2 years i have played more then Destiny, at 400 light level cap on 3 characters, but yet i still turn it on daily

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

1. Fire Emblem Fates / Trails of Cold Steel II (tied)

2. Doom /Monster Hunter Generations (tied)

3. Mario Maker 3DS (perfect for this handheld since most 2d platformer works well on the go on small screen. )

4. Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator

5. Pokken Tournament

6. Steamworld Heist (recently ported to Vita)

7. Fast Racing Neo (recently got disc release and new DLC tracks added)

8. Skyrim Special Edition (old game but it needed the fix ups from the last generation being so buggy on ps3)

9. BlazBlue: Central Fiction

10. Shanae: Half Genie Hero + River City Ransom Underground (Tied in last place. Much like Double Dragon Advance I find sequels to retro games appealing. It's time Sega and Capcom brough back old franchises in 2D but for HD screens. Keep gameplay simple like the old games but much more expanded content to suit the modern home and hand held game systems today. Strider 2 is one such example which came out after the popularity of his 2d sprite in the first Marvel vs Capcom game. Or the recent Duck Tales remake in HD. Where is the remake of Golden Axe and Streets Of Rage in HD?)

There are not many games that blow me away this year. It seems like more of what has already been done in the past. Still haven't bought FF15 yet. It looks to be a contender for GOTY for finally going open world which should be standard now since Dragon's Dogma. Japan has to adapt to changing trends to stay relevent, which is why I have high hopes for the next Zelda since it will let you choose how you want to tackle a problem and give you multiple solutions to a given task and not make you feel force to act a specific way like every past title. People need to be rewarded for experimenting and taking risks and doing weird stuff and figuring things out for themselves. This lets you explore the game in a more freeform fashion and that is why people play Elder Scrolls games. (ie if you want to explore a section of the map that is dangerous you can still do it for thrills and to test your character's power).

Yes they are more expensive to make and require more testing, but when done right they make the experience feel more organic and natural. I still remember how old final fantasy sub games were chucked into final fantasy 7 like the chocobo racing and if you got bored of this you were going to miss out on things if you didn't play it. If there were some alternate way to do something so you could avoid doing stuff that you feel is boring to you, then the game should give you multiple options on how to get to the objective instead of forcing you to partake in content that isn't interesting to you. When a game feels like they added in busywork to make you grind for things or features are chucked in the game to pad the title with fat, (substories that are not interesting) it becomes less enjoyable on replays. Much like watching a tv series quests need to feel like you can do them in any order without feeling like you needed to know what happened in previous quests to have fun. IE when you watch a popular tv series and miss a few episodes, you don't have to feel like you need to watch those missed episodes first to be able to understand what you need to do in the current one. Only main quests or faction quest stories should be like this. Everything else should feel like you can approach them in whatever order you wish. Money and time varies between people and games need to present the content in interesting ways to stay relelvent. (eg if you missed a few quests, and want a recap on everything prior to the events leading up to the quest you are on, you should be able to get a summary of what happened in text form so you don't feel lost. Then when you do those quests you missed out on you get the details of how the events played out but if you skipped them you at least have outline of what hapened.

Hopefully the next JRPG games in future titles let us customise the characters more so you actually have to role play the character the way you think best serves the role they serve in a party instead of this idea that characters can be gods who can do anything they want. Characters need to be flawed with limits to what they can do. It's not about power. It's about you the player choosing to play the character to its strengths so that you conserve resources and put up tougher fight for the enemy. Not enough RPG make you dependent on specific characters to survive so you don't develop bond to that character. MMO is all about power gaming. Single player stuff should be less about grinding and more about working within limits so that you as a player are forced to improve to prgress. (grinding should be kept to minium and instead you can beat the game by avoiding toughest enemies and using your brains to pick fights you know you can win rather than being forced to fight things much stronger than you to progress. That's not how real life works: you never pick a fight with people much tougher than you. You would conserve energy and weaken it, (by picking at it and running, and try to attack only when needed. (ie you are cornered)
Linear titles forced grinding and that put people off JRPG titles because they were structured to be busy work sims. We need to get away from this and make it about making choices that matter so you never get into stupid situations to begin with. (unless the story scriipts them to happen) And to do this, you give people lots of options on how to progress through problems. (eg bribing a tough guy to piss off by paying them off, or persuading them to work for you etc something many JRPG lack because they want you to fight absolutely everything in the world that moves which can get repetitive. I mean even dungeons and dragon arcade game which was action title let you avoid tough fights eg avoiding having to fight the Red Dragon in Tower of Doom to win the game. Make games more open to choice and let people get creative in how they tackle problems in future guys..)
Last edited by GameHED on 26 Dec 2016 08:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Picked up Doom today.....

Might wait a while before finilasing list
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Was going to add Dark Souls 3 but I sill haven't bought it. Hopefully the Switch has this game on its launch library.

Dues Ex MD? Still haven't bought this either.

Watchdopgs 2? Will get to this one soon. But waiting for a sale. Bought Disnhoroed 2 over this one.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I have to say, I've spent more time playing BC games on my 'bone this year than actual 'bone games.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars