Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Re: GOTY 2016

Post by Twiztid Elf »

10 points: Overwatch
Blizzard does it again. Takes a genre I don't care about at all and makes a personal top ten GOAT game. Polished to blinding brightness. It's the interesting, personality packed world and characters that Blizzard have created that keeps pulling me back in.

9 points: Ratchet and Clank
A work of art. So gorgeous to look at and a pure fun, joyous, slick and pleasurable experience from start to finish. Controlling the characters is so smooth. This is what video games are all about.

8 points: Doom
A video game has never before produced such continuous adrenaline in me. If you don't play this, you hate video games. You don't hate video games, do you?

7 points: The Last Guardian
Trico was the star of the show. Amazing to watch and interact with. Stunning graphics and animation

6 points: Forza Horizon 3
I like arcade racers that respect slow into corners and fast out physics. Fake Byron Bay and Surfers Paradise were surreal to drive around.

5 poiints: Fire Emblem Fates
I played in the order of Birthright, Conquest, Revelations. It started weak, but just got better and better with the Revelations ending a real high point for the 3DS.

4 points: Stella Glow
There is no doubt in my mind that had this game come out on the SNES during that era, it would be a revered classic. Fully engaging story and characters.

3 points: Pocket Card Jockey
Really fun, bizarre and unique experience. They really need to bring the ios version to the west so that more people can experience it.

2 points: Uncharted 4
Chapters 10 and 11. 4WD'ing in Madagascar, followed by the village, the market, the clock/bell tower section. Then the getaway. Breathtaking.

1 point: Dead Rising 4
Good. Damn good. But it's not Dead Rising anymore. :(

HM's: Pokken Tournament, Pokemon Sun.

Another GREAT year for videogames. Any of my top five could have potentially been my goty on a weaker year.
SOUND was such a feature this year. Awesome that devs/publishers are finally putting more attention and budget to sound. It really stood out in Overwatch, Doom and The Last Guardian.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Doom 10 points.

Best reboot I've played in over 10 years. Just a straight up balls-to-the-wall shooter that captures the magic of the original but with modern game design without any hindrance to flow.

Titanfall 2 9 points.

Most enjoyable single player campaign I've experienced since Bungies Halo games. Yes it may be a bit short and there are invisible walls in places but the actual imagination that's gone into some of the level designs is nothing short of amazing. If only Respawn can somehow capture the openness of the Halo battles then this can be the next best thing. It's still awesome.

Alien Nation 7 Points

A great twin stick shooter with lots of rare loot to keep coming back for. I don't know what you call this genre that gets people hooked with the likes of Diablo, Destiny, etc but it's one of those and sadly, seems neglected/ignored here at the Ranch.

Dirt 6 points

It's a rally game, it's gone back to its roots without those bullshit events and vehicles seen in the last 3-4 Codemasters rally games.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided 5 points

More of the same as Human Revolution.

Uncharted 4 4 Points.

It's not that I disliked this game to put it this low, it's just expected that the game is polished and enjoyable and nothing new. Looks amazing and a fitting end to the series.

No Man's Sky -9 Points

Because Unfunk gave it 9 I'm taking 9 away. It's not that it's because it's bad, it's because it didn't deliver at all on its promises and then months of developers silence. I blame Sony for hyping this up and using bullshit beta footage to mislead gamers. When the game was released back in July/August(?) it was barely even a game and definitely not worth the price of a AAA game. If it was $10-20 then no one would've cared if the experience was lacking.

I think that's all the games released in 2016 that I've played/purchased this year.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie
XBL ID: MrSlow88
PSN ID: MrSlow88

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

I have only played one game that was made in 2016 and that is Gears of War 4... so I give that 10 points.

Also, does Clash Royale count? I played this heaps, so this is 9 points if it counts :)
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I got Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 for Christmas so I may have to edit my list.

I'll add up the scores at the end of the month, so ya'll still have a couple of weeks to play some more of 2016's finest :)
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

10 points: Pokemon GO
Gotta hand it to the game.. it's kept my interest.. I play it daily and I have enjoyed the social aspect of it with my clients.

9 points: The Last Guardian
I've had my eye on this since it was first announced. I was always sad that I didn't have or want a PS3 for it. Thankfully I got to finally play it and it is a masterpiece. That ending.. fuck.. waterworks central.

8 points: Streetfighter V
A solid follow up. PLus hot Ryu. Nuff said :D

7 points: Owl Boy
Such a cool and unexpected 2D shooter. Loved the soundtrack for it.

That's basically all I properly played this year!
Ambrose Burnside

I'll add these up on Australia Day :aussie:

Two days to finalise your lists people :aussie:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

10 points - Total War: Warhammer (PC)
9 points - Doom (PC)
8 points - Hitman (PC)
7 points - The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine (PC)
6 points - Madden NFL 17 (PS4)
5 points - Street Fighter 5 (PC)
4 points - Forza Horizon 3 (PC)
3 points - Superhot (PC)
2 points - Inside (PC)
1 point - XCOM 2 (PC)

-50 points - No Man's Sky
Last edited by Candy Arse on 26 Jan 2017 03:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Candy, DX:MD opinion? I'm guessing you're not enjoying it that much. I have to get back into it, haven't touched it in months.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Very good game, basically more of the same which is fine but it obviously doesn't have the same impact as HR did upon release.

It's also MUCH better than No Man's Sky.
Ambrose Burnside

OK boys I've added them up. I haven't included the votes of the following people that have posted in this thread:

BOOMY
Rorschach
GameHED
ObSoLeTe

Either because I wasn't sure if your list was in order/provisional/complete, or you've included a shitload of ties (GameHED, I'm not giving ten obscure Japanese games 10 votes, then another ten 9 votes).

Reply to the thread when you've updated your list or let me know if it's complete and in order :)
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Here is the new list which is actually my more boring original list that didn't include the indie stuff:

New list:

1. FE Fates
2. Trails of Cold Steel II
3. Doom
4. Monster Hunter Generations
5. Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator
6. Pokken Tournament
7. Dark Souls 3
8. Skyrim Special Edition
9. Blazblue Central Fiction
10.Dues Ex MD

Didn't know games couldn't tie. I thought it was like a race where cars can be evenly awarded win based on getting the same time on a time trial in mario kart.

Honorable mention: Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE, TitanFall 2, Shantae Half Genies Hero, Azure Striker Gunvolt 2....and....

Twilight Princess HD -

the game that needed to exist to fix the wii's original problem of forcing us to use waggle to swing the sword and the game not caring how you swing it because the game wasn't originally designed with motion sensing sword swings in the first place. This is the definitive edition that should have existed back in the wii days but couldn't because nintendo chose to cater to the 5 year olds. Glad 2016 we can finally play it the way it should have been played without sacrifice of widescreen :P. (or playing illegal edition)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Ambrose Burnside

Scores updated.

Just waiting on BOOMY, Rorschach and ObSoLeTe.

And a bunch of people who haven't voted at all yet. LAST DAY!!!
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Uncharted 4 - 10 points
Titanfall 2 - 9 points
DOOM - 8 points
Forza Horizon 3 - 7 points
Gears 4 - 6 points
Battlefield 1 - 5 points
Owlboy - 4 points
Neon Chrome - 3 points
The Division - 2 points

That would be it for the moment. Still a lot of games I haven't even touched yet like Dishonoured 2
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

10- Doom
9- Alien Nation
8- Ractchet and Clank
7- Forza Horizon 3
6- Titanfall 2
5- Battlefield 1
4- Uncharted 4
3- The Division
2- Gears of War 4
1- Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4)!
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

10 Quantum Break
9 The Witness
8 Inside
7 Forza Horizon 3
6 Doom
5 Ninja Gaiden 2
4 Dark Souls 3
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Madmya wrote:10 Quantum Break
9 The Witness
8 Inside
7 Forza Horizon 3
6 Doom
5 Ninja Gaiden 2
4 Dark Souls 3
The state of gaming on XBONE :lol:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

:lol: wtf! Get off my arse dickhole!

I did get a good laugh from that though. Isn't most of your list available on the bone anyway?!
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Absolutely it is, but if I was stuck playing on that last-gen system I would have to deduct 5 points from each game.

For the record I was going to leave your arse alone, but it was a 360 game getting points that made it too hard to resist :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Shit, nearly forgot about this.
GOTY2k16.jpg
1. The Witness
2. The Last Guardian
3. Bound
4. Uncharted 4
5. Pokemon Sun/Moon
6. Dark Souls III
7. Destiny: Rise of Iron
8. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
9. Pokemon GO
10. Superhot

Games I didn't get to play in time: Rez Infinite, Doom, Titanfall 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

FUCK I forgot about Superhot.
Ambrose Burnside

Candy Arse wrote:FUCK I forgot about Superhot.
Where would you put it?
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Candy Arse wrote:For the record I was going to leave your arse alone, but it was a 360 game getting points that made it too hard to resist :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've had Ninja Gaiden 2 in my list since it came out and I'll continue to put it in there until it wins GOTY.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I've done a CrackHED and edited my post a couple of days later.

Ninja Gaiden 2 - I can get behind your campaign Madmya. Legendary game.
Ambrose Burnside

Fuck it, I'm announcing it. I've assumed BOOMY's list is in order and all ObSoLeTe wants to vote for is Doom.
Ambrose Burnside

2016 will go down as one of the best years in gaming history. The PS4 and Xbox One are now mature platforms with one hardware revision each. The Pokemon Go phenomenon proved that Andoid and iOS are now the go-to mobile gaming platforms for the mainstream, the 3DS is on its last legs and the Vita is all but dead. The barriers of entry for PC gaming are lower than ever, and virtual reality is FINALLY here and at multiple price points. It was an especially glorious year for first person shooter fans, and this is reflected in the 2016 Games Ranch GOTY.

10th - The Witness - 19 points, 9.5 average

Only two people voted for it, but with an average of 9.5 (the highest of any game with at least two people voting for it), this was enough for The Witness to scrape in in 10th spot ahead of Battlefield 1 which more people voted for but which could only muster an average of 5.7.

9th - Dark Souls 3 - 20 points, 5 average

The lowest scoring average in the Top 10, 4 people voted for it (highest score, 7)

8th - Pokemon Go - 21 votes, 7 average

The biggest surprise for me, the ultimate love it or hate it social phenomenon. I didn't vote for it, but I "played" it every work day to and from work as a time killer. It does make the morning and evening commute slightly more interesting, I give it that. Highest score? A perfect 10.

7th - Gears of War 4 - 22 votes, 5.5 average

Highest score? A perfect 10. I have yet to finish the original let alone all the others.

6th - The Last Guardian - 25 votes, 8.3 average

Only three people voted for it, but they loved it.

5th - Street Fighter V - 26 votes, 6.5 average

Savaged at launch, SFV appears to be ageing like a fine wine. No one gave it 9 or 10 votes, but a consistent vote getter.

4th - Uncharted 4 - 27 votes, 5.4 average

A lowish average, but it did score one 10. Five people voted for it.

*drum roll*