Scalebound not coming out - sign of MS doom

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Scalebound not coming out - sign of MS doom

Post by GameHED »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... ent-ceased" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By Tom Phillips Published 09/01/2017

UPDATE 09/01/2017 8.34pm: Microsoft has confirmed to Eurogamer that Scalebound has been cancelled.

Herein lies its official statement on the matter:

“After careful deliberation, Microsoft Studios has come to the decision to end production for Scalebound. We're working hard to deliver an amazing lineup of games to our fans this year, including Halo Wars 2, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves and other great experiences. For more information on our 2017 plans, please visit: http://bit.ly/2i1E5bV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.”

ORIGINAL STORY 09/01/2017 7.30pm: Development of Xbox One exclusive Scalebound has ceased after more than four years.

Multiple sources have confirmed to Eurogamer that Microsoft and developer Platinum Games have parted ways on the project, and that work concluded before the end of 2016.

This tallies with a just-published Kotaku report which states the game is currently in trouble, and possibly cancelled.

Scalebound was last seen in public back at Gamescom 2016 in August. Since then, the relationship between Microsoft and Osaka-based developer Platinum Games dramatically soured.

Work on the game took a serious knock last autumn, Eurogamer sources say, when several senior members of the development team were forced to take a month away from the pressure of the project's heavy workload.

These project members then returned, but Scalebound was now behind schedule. With continuing issues surrounding the game's engine and overdue deadlines, the decision was made that the project could no longer continue.

It's unclear whether Scalebound could still be revived by Platinum, but as we understand it, work on the project as we know it has now concluded. Eurogamer has asked Microsoft for comment.

Scalebound was the brainchild of Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry, Okami and Bayonetta director Hideki Kamiya.

Originally announced via an eye-catching cinematic trailer back at E3 2014, it wasn't until Gamescom 2015 that Microsoft narrowed down an initial release window of "holiday 2016". In January last year, Microsoft pushed this release date back to a vague "2017" placheholder.

Early work on Scalebound dates back far further, however. Platinum had plans for one version of the game as early as 2006, Kamiya previously told Eurogamer. Another attempt was made to pitch it to publishers after the 2009 release of Bayonetta.

It wasn't until 2013 that work began on Scalebound as we know it, after Kamiya completed work on Wii U exclusive The Wonderful 101 for Nintendo.

Scalebound was to have starred a human protagonist (controlled in third-person) and a dragon sidekick (controlled in first-person). The latter could be given guidance to move or attack, or could be controlled directly.

It had a large open-world, four-player co-op and "the biggest boss fight Platinum has ever done". It was also coming to Windows 10, Microsoft announced last year.

When we last saw Scalebound, back at Gamescom, it looked in promising shape. Kamiya and producer Jean-Pierre "JP" Kellams were in good spirits. The pair joked with us about Kamiya's notoriously spiky Twitter persona.

I asked at the time what would come next - Scalebound 2 or Bayonetta 3? "We're guns for hire," Kamiya responded. And once again, they are.
It's because MS is losing the console war imo. They should be pissed that sony is winning this gen. Now that sony is giving up on handheld market with vita's death in the west, MS need to see if they can make a portable gaming device that lets you play PC games on it like star bound. They need to look into the future and not dwell on what's trendy now. That's why kinect failed: it came right after the wii motion sensing shit was about to go out of style.

They need a game like pokemon go where you go into the street kill virtual aliens and take their bodies home and research their abilities and powers so you can hunt down newer and more powerful varieties of alien. MS forgot about the kiddie game market and left it wide open for nintendo to take.
Notice how there is no platformer as good as mario yet on any of the xbox consoles? And you expect japanese people to buy xbox? come on, everyone knows FPS isn't that popular there.

Nintendo is expanding into the west but why haven't MS got any JRPG stuff like how Tales of Vesperia on Xbox360 last gen that are exclusive? Even Minecraft; something you own, isn't exclusive? Are you batshit insane?

And how come you haven't done anything with open world rpg games which are under the "only on Xbox brand?" Even EA had a crack at it with Kingdom of Amalur last gen. We want Dark Souls combat mixed with elder scrolls freedom to explore. Make it happen you dickheads. You have unlimited amounts of money and you can't even make something as good as Zelda Breath of The Wild. What is wrong with you retards?

Can't you get Peter Molyneux back and force him to make Fable 4 and let him do Project Natal 2 (this time it's a hot chick who is a robot that you can talk to instead of a little kid. And you can go on dates with it and the robot girlfriend can be used to protect you instead of you protecting the girl. Sort of like a reverse of raising children. You are the child and the robot girl is able to care for you? You are like John Conner would be in Terminator 2 but instead of Arnold Sqwarzenegger to protect you from assassins you have the sexy female cyborg in terminator 3 instead and try to get it to have sex with you after romancing it for a long time - release this in japan and it will do well. When you get to age 18 you are able to engage in hot coffee style minigame with the AI. Eventually the robot trains you how to kill and dies protecting you and then you have to make a new one which is like replacing your pet after it died. Robots don't feel emotions so even if the AI is dumb it would be more believable since it isn't a human being you are interacting with to begin with you see?)

Buy him some Tamagotchis or something to inspire him. The reason xbox360 stood out last gen is because it had unique shit that you cared for on it. Now it's just a weak pc in a console box with third party crap flooding on it. Boring.

Anyway maybe they can find a way to bring this project to the Switch instead? Just replace the dragon with starfox riding a robot dragon chicken.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: Scalebound not coming out - sign of MS doom

Post by Candy Arse »

:io:
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

I always had Scalebound confused with Scaleform so no loss there.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

As a bit of a PlatinumGames fan boy this kind of sucks, though I still haven't jumped on the multiplatform bandwagon this gen and don't own an xbone so I guess it's no loss in that regard. Was looking forward to seeing what Hideki Kamiya was cooking up though.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Candy Arse wrote::io:
This could kill platinum who lose ability to make money. Don't you care that many jobs will be lost and kid starve as their dads are not able to put food on the table just because of MS chickening out and not giving them a chance? They worked long time on this. Maybe they want them to fail so they can buy them like MS bought Rare?

First clover now platinum. They will probably get owned by nintendo and then rename them Palladium. It is destined to happen. They can't survive without the nintendo seal of quality. The turtles game wasn't to the same quality of Bayonetta. Maybe they took on the licenses out of desperation to feed themselves? We should pray they don't go belly up and EA or MS takes over.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Ben wrote:As a bit of a PlatinumGames fan boy this kind of sucks, though I still haven't jumped on the multiplatform bandwagon this gen and don't own an xbone so I guess it's no loss in that regard. Was looking forward to seeing what Hideki Kamiya was cooking up though.

They should make another game like it but port to another system. The open world nature of this game intrigues me. Like Dragon's Dogma I have always wondered what the japanese games are like when they go to open environments.
Did you like Okami?

These guys should be giving MS the Xbox equivalent of a zelda game imo.

Sony or nintendo should approach them to see if they can make more games like that on their system. MS only cares about sports sims, racing sims, western rpg, and shooters. They have abandoned fans of japanese games and it is no surprise candy arse doesn't care since he is an EA nuthugger and wants to see competing companies fail just because they are not making buggy-arse pc games.

If I were nintendo I would get these guys to make a Starfox Adventures game. (re-release the original gamecube game in HD as a freebie with the game)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

The game always looked rough in the showings, must have been pretty messed up for them to cancel it this far in.

The output from platinum has been mediocre of late, I think they're trying to pump out too many games and they're not a very big studio.
Ben
Southpoor

Post by Ben »

They've still got Nier Automata on the horizon, and if the demo is anything to go by the full game should be pretty slick. No consolation for Xbone owners really, only the B team licensed efforts of Transformers Devastation and Mutants in Manhattan to get stuck into if you want a PlatinumGames fix. Devastation I can only reccomend to PlatinumGames+Transformers G1 fans which is pretty narrow, and TMNT just looked a bit rough overall and wasn't big enough fan of the source material to bother checking it out (like Korra).
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Yeah I played the demo of nier, it was ok, a lot more bullet hell than I thought. I'll probably check it out on PC later, the PS4 version was 900p and dropped frames a lot.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

lestat wrote:Yeah I played the demo of nier, it was ok, a lot more bullet hell than I thought. I'll probably check it out on PC later, the PS4 version was 900p and dropped frames a lot.
played the demo
900p and dropped frames
demo
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Ben wrote:They've still got Nier Automata on the horizon, and if the demo is anything to go by the full game should be pretty slick. No consolation for Xbone owners really, only the B team licensed efforts of Transformers Devastation and Mutants in Manhattan to get stuck into if you want a PlatinumGames fix. Devastation I can only reccomend to PlatinumGames+Transformers G1 fans which is pretty narrow, and TMNT just looked a bit rough overall and wasn't big enough fan of the source material to bother checking it out (like Korra).
They should have two companies: Platinum B and Platinum A so we know which are the good ones.

Just because a game is only B in quality doesn't necessarily mean it's shit or that nobody wants to buy it.

Look at all the bloody Dynasty Warrior games out.

People keep buying that stuff because it is addictive despite being highly repetitive.

Some people might buy a Warrior games simply out of being a fan of the anime the game is based on on.

Eg Arse Land:
If fans of the animes can keep the company from dying while they work on A-rated titles, then I have no problem with this.

If something sells well and money keeps them from disappearing then this is preferable than if they had only made gold quality games but ended up going belly up like Clover.

Please make a Thundercats game Platinum. And GI Joe. :up: (see the Konami arcade GI Joe game for inspiration)

Remember when Treasure would make games based on popular properties like Astro Boy on the GBA?
That's what platinum should be doing. Or approaching capcom to see if they can ressurect old properties. Make an open world sequel to the old arcade game Speed Rumbler. Take shit people were familiar with from the past and see how they can be improved on for modern times. The Warriors license by rockstar is one such example of a good beat em up. Platinum could easily take for example the Mad Max license and create a post apoc beat em up with the name, but make it like Mad World with more cartoony look. (if there were an anime of the movies with a more "Fist of the North Star" feel to it but with cars)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Crackdown 3 experiencing problems:

http://gametransfers.com/crackdown-3-an ... velopment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=87431X1 ... F&xtz=-600" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MS is probably going to kill the XB One early like the original Xbox console when it couldn't compete with PS2 imo

All these games could probably run better on scorpio. This gen is going to be remmebered as "the stopgap generation" in gaming history books.
(much like the Gameboy Color was before GBA.)

MS should keep thinking about getting an open world rpg/adventure on Scorpio to keep its library diverse to cover all the genres.
Platinum should work on Switch after this disaster. So many fans of Scalebound must be pissed at not having this game come out.
With Nintendo, they can guide the company to get things done on time. Bayonetta 3 should be worked on right now now now.. They are getting a bad reputation after turtles, and Korra. But nintendo will ensure they polish the shit out of anything they work on. (they are used to delaying their own first party triple A titles like zelda all the time it's no longer funny)

I agree with this guy's opinion:
when you say you are going to bring some great title out and it never comes out, you may still be more profitable by not releasing it, but...the overall fanbase loses hope in your brand and in the long run people stop trusting the brand. It's like politicians promising great things and not delivering after they get into power after you vote. The only difference is people vote with money. Games like Sunset Overdrive, Scalebound, Blinx etc I reckon probably would have got more love on nintendo platform imo since they don't look like typical MS Xbox games. It seems only the shooter fans matter on xbox brand. They've pigeon-holed themselves to be only attractive to the psychopathic killing simulator gamers. Nothing against bald space marines or anything. But doing unique things lets you stand out.

The RPG mechanics of the game sound interesting:

http://www.vg247.com/2017/01/10/scalebo ... -previews/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe Capcom should buy it off MS and release it as a Breath of Fire spin-off lol
Kamiya himself has taken issue with how Microsoft marketed Scalebound in the past – “I don’t like their marketing,” he revealed on twitter at the end of August 2014, presumably with that year’s Gamescom fresh in memory, and I’m inclined to agree.

Basically, what was shown in high-profile demos and trailers of Scalebound was never remotely as good-looking or as interesting as the stuff Microsoft repeatedly decided to show in intimate press meetings. They practically felt like two different games, a loud, brash action game in one instance and a more thoughtful, explorative RPG in another. The truth was somewhere in the middle, it seems, and nobody was fully satisfied.

“Those shits at MS… are they fucking with me?” the famously-outspoken Kamiya tweeted in July 2015. This probably should’ve been a bigger warning sign, but Kamiya is famed for his twitter outbursts, so nobody seemed too concerned.
once again the marketing people interfere with things to trick the public into believing something about the game that isn't true. (ie that its pure action game not open world exploration with action combat like Dragon's Dogma)

Two games featuring dragons have been scrapped:
1. capcom's Deep Down on ps4
2. Scalebound

Perhaps the marketing people think dragons are no longer cool anymore? Probably one of Candy Arse's friends that wants to see consoles fail..
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

GAF is having a fucking meltdown over this, like MS is doing this to fuck platinum employees over just to be cunts.

it's obvious to me the game was in development for too long and the end wasn't in sight, was probably a heap of shit... time to stop the bleeding!
I'm an xbot, I admit that... but why the fuck would MS can this game 4 years in if it was anywhere near completion and looking like selling enough to recoup a poofteenth of their investment?

I feel more sorry for MS, they lost out a lot more here.
the game was obviously a turd, the showing at e3 was cringe inducing!
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Maybe MS were being too controlling and didn't like the direction the game was taking or too demanding? There's always more to these stories than the public will ever know.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Don't buy that, it's 4 years in... If it was close to completion they would ship it.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I think it was probably fighting within platinum. Some might not have wanted a big ambitious rpg adventure game while others just wanted to make thier dream come true whatever that be. Sort of like how Fable series on xbox360 took over all of the time at the expense of other projects. Then by spreading resources too thinly, the workers stopped working out of frustration.

Yu Suzuki had his dream Shenmue. This was probably going to be platinum's dream which can never be finished due to the suits giving up and chickening out too early. I think MS made a mistake to cancel. The fans I see on youtube wanted this game. Let us say it turns out to be a turd. They will admit it sucks but then the price platinum pay will be more cautious customers in future. I think then MS can avoid taking any of the blame because they did what the fan wants.

This way they can look like they are still hard core gaming brand and not apple wannabe.
Anyway Rare's pirate game looks good. Hopefully that doesn't get cancelled next. Still think Rare suits nintendo far more than MS. Nintendo should have kept them and had them do conker's bad fur day games and rpg comedy games to balance out all the serious stuff sony and ms do. There are bazillion military shooters. You need balanced library to cover all bases.

From here on what platinum should do is maybe have regular releases of games based on popular cartoon/anime/toy lines similar to lego games or dynasty warriors games and see how they go. With one really high quality release every 3-5 years. The b-level games rake in the money from fans of those ips, while the high quality games keep thier reputation high in the hardcore gaming scene. People don't want to see them die again like clover.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

jizzlobber wrote:GAF is having a fucking meltdown over this, like MS is doing this to fuck platinum employees over just to be cunts.!
It's not just about this alone. Just about everything announced at the MS 2014 E3 conference has been cancelled or turned out shit.
It's a matter of consumer trust. Right now, MS have none. Anything they announce at E3 that isn't Halo/Gears/Forza, pretty much is doomed.

Personally, I'm pissed off. I was looking forwards to Scalebound and I thought it looked good.
With MS and Nintendo completely losing the plot, Sony is just romping it. I expect the return of arrogant Sony real soon.
klee123

Post by klee123 »

jizzlobber wrote:GAF is having a fucking meltdown over this, like MS is doing this to fuck platinum employees over just to be cunts.

it's obvious to me the game was in development for too long and the end wasn't in sight, was probably a heap of shit... time to stop the bleeding!
I'm an xbot, I admit that... but why the fuck would MS can this game 4 years in if it was anywhere near completion and looking like selling enough to recoup a poofteenth of their investment?

I feel more sorry for MS, they lost out a lot more here.
the game was obviously a turd, the showing at e3 was cringe inducing!
Considering that Platinum games is known to deliver games on time and on budget, I find that hard to believe.

Going through multiple sources on twitter, it seems the cancellation is to due to MS demanding additional features to the original scope to the game which caused Kamiya and his dev team a ton of stress. I wouldn't be surprised that despite the additional additions, the deadline was not changed from the original contract.

Considering MS's track record especially with the more recent fiasco with Phantom Dust, I find it very unlikely that the blame lies with PG.
Last edited by klee123 on 14 Jan 2017 02:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Reminded me of the Halo movie debacle too after Blomkamps attempt. MS kept changing things and were never happy with it that in the end the original movie was canned.

Now you have MS saying they are all about taking risks yet you look at Rares submissions for new game ideas and time and time again they were all rejected.

MS are definitely not the good guys here, we just don't know all the details.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Rare was being fucked over by dot matrix :lol:
Bringing up all this other shit to back speculation... This happened then so its happening now right?

As for consumer "trust", xbox needs more franchisees, anything they tried has sold poorly... They need to figure it out.
Scale bound would've tanked as an xbox exclusive, crackdown will bomb too.
It's an issue.

Still think scalebound was looking very average and taking way to long, was anyone actually impressed with what they saw of it?
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

jizzlobber wrote:Rare was being fucked over by dot matrix :lol:
Bringing up all this other shit to back speculation... This happened then so its happening now right?
That "shit" that happened to Rare wasn't even revealed till about 3-4 years after it happened. People like you and me just thought Rare were not being as productive as they once we're whereas what was really happening was the they were forced (I use that term lightly) to make Kinect games instead and all their other prototypes shelved, including a game similar to Titanfall years before Titanfall was released.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Twiztid Elf wrote:
jizzlobber wrote:GAF is having a fucking meltdown over this, like MS is doing this to fuck platinum employees over just to be cunts.!
It's not just about this alone. Just about everything announced at the MS 2014 E3 conference has been cancelled or turned out shit.
It's a matter of consumer trust. Right now, MS have none. Anything they announce at E3 that isn't Halo/Gears/Forza, pretty much is doomed.

Personally, I'm pissed off. I was looking forwards to Scalebound and I thought it looked good.
With MS and Nintendo completely losing the plot, Sony is just romping it. I expect the return of arrogant Sony real soon.
How on earth can you be blaming MS for this? This whole thing smelt of a cash grab by Platinum from the very beginning, going by what Phil Spencer said, it sounded like it was going to be a turd of a game.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Turd of a game for a turd of a console. A match made in heaven.

:lol:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

back on your knees!
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered

Post by jizzlobber »

Well if it wasn't good enough for xbox it must've been a heap of shit.