Post by flipswitch »

Image :)
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Re: Resident Evil 7

Post by GameHED »

Resident Evil 7 didn't sell to capcom's expectations:
Looks like they are going to avoid survival horror again and go the Call of Duty route again.

I blame Candy Arse for this. The japanese don't like first person view. They need to give this series to nintendo again and let us see the character moving around as a person with some vulnerability not an action hero in an action flick. You can be killed, the game will hint that you can get killed, but the observant people can find one safe solution to every encounter that doesn't involve needing to kill a monster so the threat of being followed is always present. (see the first terminator movie: running away = survival and you are the prey until the end)

The problem with later games is they kept reminding us they were games trying to be horror movie. What you want is a horror movie with no gamey things in it that gets the player thinking they will not survive but rewards thinking through problems logically. If they go back to pure action game from a third person perspective they will probably get more sales again, but horror fans will go back to Evil Within series.

Hopefully they find a balance for whatever they think up next. Personally I think they should give RE a break for a while, and try for a Dragon's Dogma sequel that includes a co-op mode like the secret of mana games of old. Switch would be the perfect platform since everyone has their own screen. Include Abigail as an unlockable NPC in Dragon's Dogma who comes from a portal and is lost in the DD universe. This game could explain Abigail's true origins and how he became a monster. RE is way better as a puzzle game with some action in it than a shooter. Although I don't blame capcom for reverting back to making it a kids game again to get the $. There just aren't enough fans around to buy the games it seems.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

3.7 million is a sales flop now?
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Weren't they aiming for 7 million?
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

After the awesomeness and return to form that was RE7, it looks like they've taken a turn and RE4'ifyed RE8. :(
Sitting back and waiting to see on RE8. Will definitely pick up later when it's cheap.
What a shame, I was pumped after RE7 and all the Lady D hype. :(
flipswitch
que
que

Resident Evil 7

Post by flipswitch »

I played the demo, but for some reason was having motion sickness, so had to stop. I did however enjoy RE7 on PC, so I won’t be picking this one up.

OT, but I resumed playing Demon’s Souls remake. I’ve had this launch and didn’t play too much of it, but got back into and took down my first boss. Really enjoying it. I’ve only played Bloodborne in the past but can easily understand the love for these games.

Looks amazing, runs at 60fps, few second load times and gameplay is rock solid. I love when you find a short cut.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

The older I get, the less I can cope with these kinds of games :(
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Villiage looks amazing so I'm getting ready to finally get RE7 done. I've seen snippets of scenes that look disgustingly terrifying so have baulked on it thus far. Apparently once you clear the early game it settles into more conventional RE.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

I see 7 is on Game Pass.

How puzzle-heavy is it? I hate puzzles in games, so if there are a lot, I won't bother.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Ambrose Burnside wrote: 09 May 2021 09:37 am I see 7 is on Game Pass.

How puzzle-heavy is it? I hate puzzles in games, so if there are a lot, I won't bother.
I played it when it came out on Game Pass last year. It was the first RE I'd played since Code Veronica so I'd hardly call myself a RE fan, but that's the great thing about Game Pass; being able to play a game on a whim that I wouldn't have ever thought of buying. I really enjoyed it and ended up playing through it twice to get more unlockables. I started a third playthough on the hardest difficulty but was a bit fatigued by then and didn't get very far.

I don't think there were any crazy puzzles. Certainly there's no sliding block or 'mini game' type puzzles. Some of the difficulty comes from the intricate indoor areas and finding the parts of the scenery to interact with to place items/keys in slots.

The early part of the game has some awesome horror-movie type set pieces, and the later part has more traditional shooty bits.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Hercy wrote: 09 May 2021 08:32 pm
Ambrose Burnside wrote: 09 May 2021 09:37 am I see 7 is on Game Pass.

I played it when it came out on Game Pass last year. It was the first RE I'd played since Code Veronica so I'd hardly call myself a RE fan, but that's the great thing about Game Pass; being able to play a game on a whim that I wouldn't have ever thought of buying. I really enjoyed it and ended up playing through it twice to get more unlockables. I started a third playthough on the hardest difficulty but was a bit fatigued by then and didn't get very far.

I don't think there were any crazy puzzles. Certainly there's no sliding block or 'mini game' type puzzles. Some of the difficulty comes from the intricate indoor areas and finding the parts of the scenery to interact with to place items/keys in slots.

The early part of the game has some awesome horror-movie type set pieces, and the later part has more traditional shooty bits.
Sweet thanks.

Mass Effect coming this week so I'm in no rush, but I'll try and check it out at some point.

You're right about Game Pass too. Have already downloaded Kingdom Hearts which I would never have otherwise have played. Same with Cricket 19. Two Point Hospital will be next too. I just think of it as a 21st century Blockbuster and it's amazing.

Was at EB the other day, and I know you can get games cheaper elsewhere, but it stuck out to me. A 12 month Ultimate subscription is $176.45 (first month being $1). At EB, FIFA 21 + Wreckfest (the two games I've played the most of so far) was $170. So the first 12 months have already paid for themselves :lol: And once Age of Empires 4 is out (let alone Halo Infinite) it's game over. Over 623 hours on AoE 2: HD Edition and 211 hours (and counting) on the Definitive Edition :lol:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)