Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: Resident Evil 7

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Will it cost me an extra $60 to stream it to my main TV?

No, of course it won't. Steam ftw.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Yea I'm on board. God knows when I'll get time to play it but I enjoyed the trailer and a short game is motivating considering my current schedule.
Kangawallaby
Netballer
XBL ID: Kangawallaby
PSN ID: Kangawallaby
Steam ID: Kangawallaby

Post by Kangawallaby »

I grabbed it and about 4 hours in it's fantastic. It's definitely everything I could have hoped for being an old school Resident Evil fan.
The atmosphere the environments remind me so much of the original when I played it 20 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2nd place is the first loser....

MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

t0mby wrote:Is this still a solid game without VR?
Yeah mate it's a must have title if your a resi fan. VR is nothing short of amazing considering it's first gen port. The controls once tweaked are very good and being able to stick your head around the corner is a nice inclusion. I actually go between the two playing this as I find I need a rest after about 2 hours.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:Will it cost me an extra $60 to stream it to my main TV?

You drag me into something I had no part of and then when I engage directly with you, you barely respond. Weak.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

10hrs in now. I had to force myself from playing it any longer.
Ambrose Burnside

Madmya wrote:

You drag me into something I had no part of and then when I engage directly with you, you barely respond. Weak.
I don't get into pointless debates with GameHED either.

You think Microsoft is perfectly justified in charging more for games on PC than what you can get the same game for on Steam. A better game in fact given how much better Steam is as a platform than the Microsoft Store. How can I debate a position like that? :run:

I think their position will lead them to getting destroyed in both the PC and console markets by Valve and Sony despite having cool ideas on paper cos they're seemingly incapable of implementing them properly. I saw it with their mobile phones (how fucking cool is Continuum as a concept? Universal apps?), I see it now.

I'll just let the market make my case for me instead of going around in circles here.

I want Microsoft to succeed. I don't want a Steam monopoly. I have Origin, GOG Galaxy, Battle.net etc. all installed on my PC. I buy retail too. At launch Witcher 3: GOTY was cheaper at JB than any digital storefront, so that's where I bought it. I want healthy competition. I don't want Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot. I love my 360, and I never owned a PS3. I don't want a Sony monopoly with consoles because they turn into arrogant pricks like Nintendo. This is why I get so frustrated. Sure it doesn't really affect me directly, but a lack of competition will fuck us all over.

If they really *have* to make their console and PC games the same price, then I know what the smart move would be.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Microsoft have a track record of failing to put their cool ideas into practice - look at anything from MS Research, for example. There's been some amazing tech demos from there over the years that have gone nowhere.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Does Microsoft offer a lower price if you buy PC only or is all the software either play anywhere pricing or nothing at all?
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I can vouch for the game without VR t0mby, it's fucking BRILLIANT and a hell of a form turnaround after RE6.

It genuinely feels like the first game but in 1st person. It's very tense.

On the Windows Store you can get the PC game by itself for $99.95 - only a modest increase from the $45 you can pay for the superior Steam version.

I'd hunt a copy down on PS4 t0mby - looks like Capcom really hit it out of the park with that version.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

Your back in nz yeah tomby? If not it's $79.00 at target.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Silent Hill 2 is still the pinnacle horror game for mine. RE7 trailers definitely seem to take characters and atmosphere in that direction. Is that the case in the full game?
Ambrose Burnside

t0mby wrote:Does Microsoft offer a lower price if you buy PC only or is all the software either play anywhere pricing or nothing at all?
From the Microsoft Store it's Play Anywhere only.

It's not as bad for RE7 cos it's third party so you can get it cheaper literally ANYWHERE else, so most people will (although this does nothing for Microsoft's position in the market other than make them look stupid), but for games like Forza? :|
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

No no you don't understand!

Microsoft HAS to gouge people with high prices for bad products! /xbots
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:
Madmya wrote:

I don't get into pointless debates with GameHED either.

You think Microsoft is perfectly justified in charging more for games on PC than what you can get the same game for on Steam. A better game in fact given how much better Steam is as a platform than the Microsoft Store. How can I debate a position like that? :run:
The price, or whether I think it's reasonable or not, is irrelevant. It's always been about why the price is what it is. That's all. I can't believe I need to say this again.

So this is the first time you've engaged directly with me, conveniently in a post that has made no points for you to actually respond to, presumably so you can continue your inaccurate narrative. Comparing me with GameHED is just another method to try and avoid answering me directly. It's weak.
Ambrose Burnside

Ambrose Burnside wrote:If they really *have* to make their console and PC games the same price, then I know what the smart move would be.
It's weak to expand the discussion beyond "Microsoft can't upset Xbots by making their games cheaper on PC in order to compete on that platform"? OK. I'm happy to be weak and leave it there then :)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:lol: :fight: :lol:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:
Ambrose Burnside wrote:If they really *have* to make their console and PC games the same price, then I know what the smart move would be.
It's weak to expand the discussion beyond "Microsoft can't upset Xbots by making their games cheaper on PC in order to compete on that platform"? OK. I'm happy to be weak and leave it there then :)
What? No, I said it's weak to drag someone into something then when they respond to you, you conveniently disappear. And you still don't get it, yet you have the nerve to insult GameHED.

Here, I'll spell it out to you. When I said this:
Madmya wrote:It has to mirror console, otherwise no one would buy it on console since it's a play anywhere game.
... this is not a justification of their prices. This is merely a statement as to why the price is what it is. This whole time you've had it in your head that this is defending Microsoft's price model, yet I'm pretty sure you'll find many examples on this very board where I've lamented the price of digital games.
Ambrose Burnside

Madmya wrote:This whole time you've had it in your head that this is defending Microsoft's price model, yet I'm pretty sure you'll find many examples on this very board where I've lamented the price of digital games.
Yet you buy them anyway.

I know what your point was, all I've been saying is they can't keep their PC game prices at console prices if they want to compete with Steam. You say it's impossible, well if that's the case Microsoft is doomed. Which is a scenario I have been lamenting throughout this thread. I think you're the only person that hasn't understood that and it reeks of someone trying to justify to themselves why they spent more than they should have: "I spent more than anyone else did for this game but that's OK because Microsoft HAD NO CHOICE!!!" :|

They could drop their Play Anywhere RRP by $10-$20 (in other words, match prices on the Xbox Store to what prices on the Windows Store *should* be in order to compete with Steam, and not think of things the other way around) and that might help. Just an idea. I can't imagine a lot of people actually use the Play Anywhere feature in their day-to-day lives, so isn't something anyone would be willing to pay a premium for. Why would you? It's a cool concept that answers a question no one was asking. Post-360 Microsoft in a nutshell :(

Don't get me wrong, the PlayStation Store is stupidly expensive too, but they have the advantage of a) not competing with Steam in the same way Play Anywhere is and b) they're killing the Xbox One so can unfortunately get away with it. And I won't even bother mentioning Nintendo.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Microsoft are also mis-reading the market.

Going after the PC market means you're going after gamers with decent rigs and shopping savvy - their PC will run a game much better than the XBONE (not hard, but still) and they'll be on the hunt for the cheapest price for a game possible.

Hence why you can find the Steam version of RE7 for less than half the price of the Windows Store version. PC gamers aren't your GameHED types who will happily pay full price at EB, or Madmyas who will buy the Xbox product no matter how bad it is.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Let's hope then Tim Sweeney is wrong when he says upcoming Windows 10 updates (which he dubs Windows 10 Crush Steam Edition) seek to permit app installs from the Microsoft store only.

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... m-edition/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ambrose Burnside

Sweeney has a piss poor track record with these things.

Windows Cloud (if it's even a thing) is just another shitty cut down version of Windows (like Windows RT, remember that?) that will crash and burn in the real world.

Like the article says, if Windows Cloud does exist, it will be to compete with Chromebooks in the education market, not for consumer consumption.

Not even Microsoft will be that stupid ... Will they? :shock:
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Silent Hill 2 is still the pinnacle horror game for mine. RE7 trailers definitely seem to take characters and atmosphere in that direction. Is that the case in the full game?
Silent Hill 2 is still (for mine) the king of horror video games. Doubt anything will ever come close to be honest. Resi 7 though, especially in VR, is easily the most terrifying experience I've had playing a video game. The immersion is insane!
Ambrose Burnside

Vince wrote:
Peppermint Lounge wrote:Silent Hill 2 is still the pinnacle horror game for mine. RE7 trailers definitely seem to take characters and atmosphere in that direction. Is that the case in the full game?
Silent Hill 2 is still (for mine) the king of horror video games. Doubt anything will ever come close to be honest. Resi 7 though, especially in VR, is easily the most terrifying experience I've had playing a video game. The immersion is insane!
PC Gamer wrote:Resident Evil 7 VR is "exclusive to PlayStation VR" for a year
Heh, might only be $10 on Steam in a year's time, I might jump on board then :wink:
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Candy Arse wrote:This isn't any headline to anyone here, but GameHED you're a fucking idiot.

P.S The Steam version of Resident Evil 7 is a fucking bargain at $45. HELL of a game!
I'm not so sure. There will probably be more deep games in VR in future.

RE7 according to some makes them feel sick.

eurogamer seems pretty positive but the game itself didn't rate high with them compared to other RE titles, showing you are not hardcore RE fan.

Yes as a demo of what VR can be it's successful but you got to rate a game on ALL the things that make a game good not just how you interact with it. Otherwise you'd be a fan of Zelda Skyward Sword or Tekki on Xbox because of the sword swing mechanic and gimmick controller.

All of a sudden putting a helmet on your head isn't a gimmick but waggle is? hmmm not sure I trust you Candy. You sound like an AD for steam on the forums who has paid cletus big bucks to promote the pc for the graphics card companies. lol Sometime you will say batshit insane stuff like Witcher 3 is the best game you ever played. And that's a console game. So your thoughts are inconsistent. Like you will think anything and everything is cool because of a script you were handed by anita sarkesian who has been proven to be fake. Loads of people out there trying to trick us into buying shit games. Remember Aliens Colonial marines? Why did gear box make this game suck so hard? It had amazing potential. And everyone preordered it. But when it came out it was shit.

So whenever someone hypes shit on this board I always get paranoid of their over-excited opinions and scripted crap. Maybe you were on drugs when you wrote that shit, you know? Some of you guys are like the sonic fans.

some impressions of the game show it isn't quite perfect:
SvennoJ
2 hours ago
RE7 in VR is the best gaming experience I've had since Half-life came out. According to ReNet I've already spend 31 hours in the game. MadHouse difficulty is true to its name. Normally I don't bother with hard difficulty, yet it's so good in VR I can't stop trying (and dying)

RE7 wasn't even designed around VR and it's already this good. It still has a lot of things that can be improved:
- The occasional 2D cut scenes rudely take you out of the experience, happens even in the middle of a boss fight.
- Transitions to preset animations eg climbing ladders or in engine cut scenes are not properly fitted to VR and can screw up your orientation, especially if you play while standing (allowing full 360 degrees freedom)
- You can duck and doge all you want, the game doesn't take it into account. Some trip wires it clearly shows you going under, but you still trigger it.
- The floating arms don't stay with you if you move/rotate/duck a bit.
- UI, subtitles, examined items stick through scenery if you don't position yourself properly.
- Smoke/fog/fire effects rotate always facing towards you, not fit for 3D.
- The position of the gun in 3D is ignored. Press a gun muzzle up to something in VR and you'll miss at point-blank range.

But it does so much right already. The freedom to examine things up close, peak through gaps (keyholes are sadly painted on), lean around corners, superior aiming, better awareness of your surroundings. I found it much easier to memorize the layout of the house in VR than normally, and also much easier to judge where sound was coming from.

VR is the best way to play first person perspective games. No contest.
Once they fix all the small stuff and polish the titles it will be must buy. But $45, you can get Witcher 3 Candy. Whatchootalkingbout willis? $45 is a lot for people who don't get to own the game. steam games are digital which means you don't get to do what you want with them like sell them to raise money to buy a Nintendo Switch you fool..(owning a steam game is like being allowed to use something not own it. Everyone knows that)
Without Switch how are you going to play Breath of the Wild definitive version?

Without Shinji Mikami, RE series is not as good imo..

quote from eurogamer review:
Via its VHS cassette flashbacks, Resident Evil 7 does toy with the concept of locations that mutate, and its conclusion does take you back to square one in an intriguing way, though the final battle is more whimper than bang. But at heart it's a fairly pedestrian species of bogeyman - a series of peekaboo jolts and serviceable gun battles strewn across a sumptuous, cohesive environment, constructed with no shortage of craft but not a whole lot of real imagination. Those doors may unnerve at first glance, but once you've acclimatised to Resident Evil 7's tactics, it seldom gives you much reason to be afraid of what lurks beyond.
didn't achieve a "recommended" (which I see as an 8/10)
Peppermint lounge needs to know the truth. What if he buys it and blames you because it didn't live up to the hype of other survival horror games he has played? You going to give him back the $45? Best to wait until more people have played it in-depth first imo.

related:
shinji mikami doesn't like the direction of new RE games without him:
http://n4g.com/news/1042213/shinji-mika ... ithout-him" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(that's what evil within was made for: reboot RE under new label)

Resident Evil Creator Explains Why the Series Stopped Being Scary:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/ ... eing-Scary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^
(RE4 only got made as a result of bad sales of the remake of the first title. So voting with your wallet really matters. If you buy the shit RE games that were made for commercial reasons to increase profit and not because of artistic choice by the creator to breathe new life into the series, then you send a message to capcom that you want more of the shit games than the carefully-crafted horror ones where more energy is spent creating fear and paranoia in the player as opposed to making them feel like an action hero like in the live action RE movies where monsters are just generic threats with no chance of killing you. Action games are cool, but the monsters should be the star of a horror game and not the player. Look at why the Xenomorph is such an iconic monster in horror movie legend and not Ripley from the Alien movies. Or the hunting alien from the Predator movies. You don't really cheer the human on, because the human is just trying to escape dying. The monster is the reason you watch because it scares and terrifies you and without this fear, there is no reason to play horror title because it is predictable and easy to avoid/kill. Real horror gams make you disgusted at having to get close to the monster because you might die just touching it. The Thing, Alien, Predator all had that sense of dread that you were going to die no matter how tough you think you are. If you can escape death because of your skill alone then it's not true horror imo. A game needs to make you feel like even with high skill you are still not likely to survive unless luck is involved that temporarily prevents monster getting to you easily- so it reaffirms that idea that you were not in TOTAL control of the encounter but you could only reduce some chance of dying through prepration and that's it. )
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto