Double Dragon IV

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Double Dragon IV

Post by GameHED »

Took their bloody time doing a new game (the other one which makes fun of the 80s isn't a true game but a parody game that is decent. Double Dragon Advance was the last serious proper one imo)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017- ... gon-sequel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By Wesley Yin-Poole Published 27/01/2017

This one crept up on me: Double Dragon 4 comes out next week on Steam and PlayStation 4.

There have been plenty of rubbish Double Dragon games over the years, but this one looks like it could be good. For one, it's made by Arc System Works, the Japanese brains behind superb fighting games Guilty Gear and BlazBlue and the original Double Dragon that came out in 1988.

Arc System Works put out the video, below, which shows off gameplay from Double Dragon 4. There's a duel mode where you fight against another player, a tower mode where you keep fighting and climbing until you die, and of course a story mode. There are loads of characters to unlock and the visuals look suitably retro-tastic. Double Dragon 4 looks like a lot of fun!
Steam says Double Dragon 4 unlocks on Tuesday, 31st January, and the video says it's also coming to PS4, so hopefully it'll turn up on Sony's console in Europe on Wednesday.
Too bad this isn't coming to portables. That's the perfect platform. In exchange, they bring River City Ransom sequel to home console.

I kinda wish they went with more 16 bit look to the graphics like super double dragon on snes or Double Dragon Advanceon GBA. Oh well can't complain. Maybe the sprite artists have lost their passion for the 90s. (we all know that is when the genre was refined and perfected in 2d)

Edit:
And if possible please arrange to get DDA released to nintendo eshop (both 3DS and Wii U):
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Re: Double Dragon IV

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Wow, those graphics are identical to the SMS version of the original.
Capture.jpg
Capture01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie
XBL ID: MrSlow88
PSN ID: MrSlow88

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

I noticed that the Double Dragon that I bought on Xbox360 all those years ago is now gone from Xbox Live Arcade, so I can't download and play it anymore (the first mission still works, but I can't play the whole game) :x

I remember playing the original Double Dragon at the arcades in 1987/88... sigh, I'm really showing my age :(
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

For those who are fans of the arcade games you can download double dragon 1 and 2 on psn for ps4 I think.

I think they should do a Double Dragon side story. Maybe a prequel to double dragon where you play as the shadow boss and the story explains how he rises to power and beats up all the other gangs using martial arts and post apoc weapons to dominate. There are no rules in a world with no justice and unlike the main games this is a much darker beat em up where you play as an overpowered character who uses fear to control people instead of using skill for self defence only.

You play as the bad guy kiling other bad guys and kidnaps everyone's girlfriends and use them to breed shadow warriors who then betray you and then you have to hunt them one by one. (these are the bosses of each stage. You are a lot more brutal and violent than Jimmy and Billy Lee with your moves and execute them with finishers.

The classic Roar of the Double Dragon theme tune plays as you beat them up and use your shadow partner as a team mate to even the odds. (mirror image of yourself - think of it like morrigan's power in darkstalkers)
After killing all the bosses, your shadow then decides to challenge you to a fight and after you beat it up you complete the story. The ending is the scene where you send your thugs to kidnap Jimmy and Billy Lee's girlfriend after hearing about some tough kung fu masters in your town. And this is the start of Double Dragon 1)

Do something new Arc System Works. lol
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto