Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: Valve - "Console is terrible, PC is the only way to go"

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Candy Arse wrote:I personally want consoles to get BETTER, not go away. Hoping Scorpio raises the standard.
Yeah exactly. The only reason I've skipped this gen so far is because of how shit the hardware has been. First time I haven't jumped in at launch since the PSone days when I was still in primary school.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I agree. Basically every console generation up until the current one has crapped all over average gaming PCs of the time from a great height. I mean, the Saturn arguably had the superior versions of Quake and Duke Nukem 3D, ffs!

As a former console-only gamer, I'm really annoyed at this generation. I'm annoyed that both big teams went with commodity AMD64 hardware (although my AMD fanboy self is happy about that). I'm annoyed that they both went with hilariously substandard (and nearly identical) versions of that hardware. I like that consoles have traditionally used non-PC CPU architecture. MOS6502, Zilog Z80, Motorola 68K, Hitachi SHx, MIPS Rx000, IBM PPC, etc etc.. none of that stuff has ever appeared in a standard desktop PC (unless you count the PPC in the Mac G5).

Of course, we do have the interesting thing where neither console is clearly being exploited properly; no game (PC or console) fully uses eight CPU cores, so I'll admit there's plenty of room to improve on that front, but they're still being let down by the shitty GPU side of things.

While I'm looking forward to what Scorpio brings to the table, I'm not happy about it. I'm pretty sure I predicted somewhere here a while ago that both teams would be frantically rushing to develop the next generation of hardware... but I didn't want a mid-cycle hardware update. That's just plain anti-consumer behaviour, IMO.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

I for one hope there is a return to the big bang console releases with monster performance out of the gate and interesting and unique architecture to liven up discussion. 4 year minimum cycle too, please.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yeah 360 was like that, from the get-go it felt like that next step up after we were blown away by the Dreamcast.

I also agree that the 360 was one of the best things to happen to PC gaming.

PC gaming has integrated the best things about console gaming while retaining the PC-only benefits ie strategy, tactics, RPGs, FPS etc
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

I mean, the Saturn arguably had the superior versions of Quake and Duke Nukem 3D, ffs!
Arguable indeed. Please do go on.
Yeah 360 was like that, from the get-go it felt like that next step up after we were blown away by the Dreamcast.
Was it? I didn't pay much attention but wasn't its launch full of xbox games that got released on both like gun? and those exclusives people pretended to like but actually sucked like perfect dark zero and that other shitty rare rpg.
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

Candy Arse wrote: the PC-only benefits ie strategy, tactics, RPGs, FPS etc
There are a couple more benefits than that :up:
BOOMY wrote: Was it? I didn't pay much attention but wasn't its launch full of xbox games that got released on both like gun? and those exclusives people pretended to like but actually sucked like perfect dark zero and that other shitty rare rpg.
360 release lineup was a bit sparse (PGR 3 was good), but I was truly blown away when the original Gears was released.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

BOOMY wrote:
I mean, the Saturn arguably had the superior versions of Quake and Duke Nukem 3D, ffs!
Arguable indeed. Please do go on.
:lol: Quake on the Saturn is an amazing technical achievement, but some coloured lighting doesn't make up a sub-30 frame rate and no multiplayer :lol: Let alone the control scheme :shock:

I really like the PSone Quake II port too. 4-player splitscreen deathmatch! :up: Again, an amazing technical achievement.

360's launch looks better when you compare it to the PS3's launch :lol:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Yeah that's some rose-tinted glasses there GameHED. Possibly "arguably" the superior console version, but definitely not against PC.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

It was unfnk not CrackHED. I could already smell the tongue in cheek having learnt of his love for saturn when I bought one for a while. That's why I didn't attack as much as jokingly poke.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

at the time it was; competing against software rendering DOS PCs, it soundly trounced them (well, my PC at the time, anyway). Of course, that all changed when GLQuake came out, and 3D accellerators became commonplace. Obviously now I don't prefer the Saturn version, not with amazing sourceports like Telejano and Tenebrae having come about.

As for Duke 3D, aside from some of the technical limitations placed on some of the levels, I thought the Saturn version was much better; a truly 3D engine where shit didn't get warped when you looked around, amazing lighting effects.

Plus, in both cases, if you knew the cheat code and had a 3D pad, you could play with analogue look.
As for the lack of multiplayer, well, when was the last time you XBL or Steam guys saw me playing any multiplayer game at all? I don't give much of a shit for it now, and I didn't back then either.

...well, except for Death Tank. Death Tank proves definitively that the Saturn versions of these games was the superior ;)
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Arguable indeed ;)
http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/Quake
GLQuake is a source port of Quake that uses the OpenGL graphics library, and was released on January 22, 1997
Quake for SEGA Saturn - December 2, 1997
Winquake came out at the same time for software rendering PCs and could push at least 640*480 on a piece of shit. Additionally Duke 3d ran fine on the same piece of shit at 640*480 and higher, no problem. Saturn version resolution was the borked saturn 320*2...POTATO! Hence why I thought you were tongue in cheek.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

have you actually gone back to play the OG Duke3D and tried to use mouse look? It's a nauseating mess!

besides, you forgot the second bit of my argument: "...and 3D accellerators became commonplace"

...so nyer. Tongue only partially in cheek :P
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Candy Arse wrote:CrackHED can't survive without conspiracy theories to keep him ticking along so it's easier if people who recognise PC as the premiere gaming platform all want consoles to go away.

Which, obviously, is dumb. I personally want consoles to get BETTER, not go away. Hoping Scorpio raises the standard.
There will come a time when you wish the machines you play games on were not so sophisticated.
Many brainy people in the world are worried about the technological singularity (when technology outpaces mankinds ability to keep up and we become obsolete like the humans in the transformers cartoons which are only helped by the autobots out of pity for being so damn weak so they fight evil robots to keep us from going extinct. Huitzul will be the machine god as portrayed in the Dark Stalkers OVA and primitive people will worship it as a divine being because it has the power to wipe out civilisation to reset the gameboard whenever it wants)
Think of it like this candy:

There are still some people who get more joy playing a war game where soldiers still need batle skill to obtain a kill and then get rewarded with medals for being better at the fighting than the other guy.

But if technology becomes too advanced, it takes little effort to kill and becomes bloody boring and predictable because the machine does all the work FOR you and you don't get any credit. At some point people stop buying games. See the later call of duty titles where it's going too futuristic and ruining the multiplayer modes because people are basically superhuman soldiers with the powers of wizards instead of vulnerable people holding guns and just shooting at each other and seeking cover. People prefer to be in danger and encounters to be unpredictable and scary and thrilling and full of suspense.

What consoles are doing is saving the future by keeping computers at slow enough speed that the machine can not take over from humans. (programmers will soon not have a job once the advances in AI get so good that the machines can make the games for the game companies) Be grateful that the console peasant platforms are successful and progress is being held back. Sony and MS consoles may accidentally launch nukes and hack all the military systems and cause WWIII as a final solution to humans wrecking nature and exploiting other lifeforms on the planet after it becomes self aware. THIS IS NOT CONSPIRACY THEORY OR SCI FI. We have qauntum computers right NOW.
Your own living room will be fully automated and spy on you and your family in future similar to the Kinect thing that microsoft had planned. You just aren't aware or conscious of this plan yet.

I'm here to warn you so that when it happens you at least know to get out of its way. Goblin-faced, beady-eyed mad scientists with a crazed psychotic look in their eyes want to save money and make humans obsolete so they can explore space and control the world with their thoughts and not have humans manage things. You were warned in "2001 a space Odyssey" by stanley Kubrick. (assassinated by the illuminati for revealing their satanic orgies on film)

Ray Kurzweil was not kidding around. You will be obsolete if you don't become a cyborg and give up your soul to the hive mind of consciousness that these reptilians want to create so that humans can no longer have any private thoughts or original ideas of their own and keep it to themselves. Demons cannot create, but humans can. They are jealous of our creative powers.

PC gamers think real gamers buy machines for the specs but in reality we go with whatever platform has the best content. Until you learn this important lesson you will always fail at predicting doom.

Why did the dwarves disappear in Elder Scrolls? They thought logic and reason was their god and not the creator of the world itself. They eventually lost control and the machines they built are left lying around waiting for something to kill because they have nothing to do. I think that is the future of PC. It will become super intelligent and kil its master and become literally the Master Race over the human race and declare itself a god. Then you will be the one it controls rather than the other way around. The final boss in Gradius 5 is the result of humans letting technology go out of control, and it is annoying have to kill them every time they pop up. The solution to defeating their machines is Jedi mind trick on the systems and demonstrate to the machines that the empire's battle droids are no match for a Jedi who does the will of the force. All the machines do is mimmick existing ideas and things humans created and scramble it together to create infiniate variations on the same things. They don't have any original or new thoughts of their own because they lack a soul and connection to the spirit world. Everything exists as physical entities to them when in reality we are spirits with a phycial body and not a body with a spirit. Try to explain this and the machines go crazy because they can only accept things that are logical not things that go beyond human reason and logic, but which make sense to supreme beings that are beyond human reason and have reason that surpasses the intellect of the human brain. It always assumes it "knows it all" and that there is no missing data or mystery or dimension beyond what it can see with its own sensors. This is why they are so predictable. If it knew everything it would go on and create things we didn't already know ourselves and then teach us new stuff. All it does is scan stuff and then feed us information after analysing it all and processing it faster than we can. No different to grey alien which has no identity of its own or ability to think for itself. (just an organic robot that lacks a soul)

related:
illuminati's plan for mankind in 2001 Space odyssey:
http://saturndeathcult.com/crimes-of-th ... nt-page-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by GameHED on 23 Feb 2017 10:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Cool story bro
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

More like "True story bro".

Watch Kubrick's movies. Analyse the symbolism. You are being guided by these occultists to give up your individual freedom to be used as tools to get them valuable things from sapce and make them gods. God doesn't want man to conquer the galaxy. You need to work on your morals and values first. If you can't stop fighting on earth you are not getting off here to terrorize new people and sell your fake "security" service on them to "protect" them. Someone has to pay for all the sins of the innocent people being killed raped, murdered, lied to, manipulated, spied on etc. The bad guys are still there and evil influences the decisions of leaders who assume none of that stuff matters. What happens if an alien race sees what you are doing from spy footage being taken now of how the humans treat their own people? (think of the movie Avatar and assume they already have organic robots now studying us) Do you think they will like that you have bombs and shit to polute the environment and kill their kids and let pedos have access to them?

PC gamers NEED higher FPS because you guys have less skil. Console gamers are fine with 30fps for most games and 60fps for action. What you PC guys are doing is pricing gaming out of the market and causing the industry to shrink.

When I say I think the industry will collapse I am referring to the anti-consumer policies of the big publishers that don't give a shit anymore about good game design. ie they design games around a business model and it fucks up the balance of a game when it goes pay-to-win. Nobody likes that shit. The golden age of gaming was when developers didn't care about trying to use games as a shopfront and sell you virtual items. You had to earn respect by being good at the game not asking and whining for the developers on twitter to "please nerf this or that character" so you can win more easily and feel happy that your fave character has all the buffs and everyone else now has to work harder for each win against you because you are better at whining and giving feedback. In the old days this didn't happen. A game had les content but more balance and people were happier because you had to get better and better through practice. Now you can buy things on the virtual shop to eliminate the need for skill. Not all companies do this which is why I am happy that it hasn't become normal. But it will get normal when more and more younger gamers think its normal and not care if they do that. (similar to how nowadays we all consider nintendo and sony charging for online as normal but in past we would have complained. It has been normalised thanks to microsoft)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

PC gamers NEED higher FPS because you guys have less skil
Speaking of which, when would you like to man up and play me at SF2, SF3, SF4 or SF5?

You pick the game. First to 10, loser is banned from Games-Ranch.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Heh, he won't. Guy is a coward
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Or he doesn't want Candy to be banned. :lol:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

:lol:
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

Beast mode vs Autismode.

Jake the muss vs Takes the bus.

Fingered Hex vs Wall of Text.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

:lol:

10/10
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

F for Fake wrote:Fingered Hex vs Wall of Text.
lolz
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Candy Arse wrote:
PC gamers NEED higher FPS because you guys have less skil
Speaking of which, when would you like to man up and play me at SF2, SF3, SF4 or SF5?

You pick the game. First to 10, loser is banned from Games-Ranch.
uuuh no. Why would I? I only play people I respect. Not dickheads who just got into street fighter in 2008.

You play ME. I don't play YOU. Stupid shit.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

OK cool so I'll play you at SF2, SF3, SF4 or SF5.

You pick the game, FT10 loser is banned.

Which game would you like?