XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Doom Eternal gameplay quakecon

Post by lestat »

Some big improvements to mobility and finishing moves, looking great. Day one!

* New Praetor Suit brings Doom Slayer's guns out.

* New quick-boost maneuvers

* Grapple Super Shotgun

* Gatling "Regular" Shotgun

* *The correct term is "mortality challenged"*

* Creature designs straight updates of the classic sprites

* Invasion mechanics

* More Mick synths

* DS goes where he pleases (feat. choked-out Office Clerk)

* DS takes what he pleases (feat. Coward Marine)

* DS is going to fire the BFG 10K at Earth, calling it

11/10 consequences will never be the same.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Re: Doom Eternal gameplay quakecon

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

I'm downloading Doom 2016 right now. Late, but glad I held off so I could play it on a decent monitor. :up:
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

The download which I’m sure you’re now aware of is massive!.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Bloody enormous. 4kms from Melb CBD and still no NBN too (although it's going in now I believe).
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

We only got NBN last friday.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Looking good. There needs to be a beam sword in doom. You literally use heat sword to melt through them and it would be the BFG of the melee weapons. Plus it lights up the dark areas to see better. Run up, cut limbs off of them as normal moves, and you have an option to throw the sword at them like a spear for one hit death, then quickly grab it by grapple hooking them back to you to get the sword back with your other arm which has grapple claw on it. Then as the dead body is near you, you can use the demon's body as a shield when other demons try to shoot you and then kick the body with superhuman strength right at them after you pull the sword out of the body. Option includes the ability to put a sticky grenade into the demon before you kick it back at a group of demons so that you also get a group kill combo as the body explodes on a group of them.

The beam sword allows you to run a little but quicker to encourage close range rush down but you can jump attack to get focused attack on one powerful enemy directly in front of you instead of swiping the weapon over wide arc. (hold button down for downward thrust forward, or instead tap button and let go immediately for weak attack that swipes multiple weak enemies for group damage. Weak attack can act defensively to burn lesser enemy projectile attacks coming your way if timed right, giving incentive to try and predict when an enemy will shoot his fireball or other ranged weapon at you for style points. mistimed swipe means you take a bit less damage than if you just stood there)

Another option instead of kicking the dead demon back at the enemy mob, is you head butt the demon to the floor to cancel the move quickly so you can end the attack early. Cancel an animation saves time for people who want to move through area quick rather than watch demons die in funny ways. The headbutt essentially cracks open their skull which you see with an X-ray view as it is done (bullet time speed is activated for a short moment to witness it cracking in slo mo to show the player what is happening internally to the demon's brains which turn to mush while its skull breaks apart in an explosive fashion from high impact. Think of it like the poor buggers in Fist of the North Star whose heads explode LOL and the blood and brain matter hits the camera and you have to wipe your face of the goo)

A fast version of the beam sword exist that only appears in harder modes where you swing it much faster like the guy in Strider. (enemies and the armor doesn't just melt but are vaporised completely and steam clouds form after they die and remains are liquefied on the floor. Some Floors and doors can be opened by force with this sword to escape an ambush and find secret rooms for more ammo, armor, health etc which can turn the tide in a losing battle to help you survive)

Somewhere in the game is a hidden sword name beast eater. A two handed melee weapon for group death that is slower than beam sword but does heavy damage to group of enemies. The problem with chainsaw in classic doom is you were stuck on one guy, the twohanded variant of beam sword means you just kill tougher enemies that are coming at you in mobs much better than using weak variants that let you move quickly but take lots of swipes because it hits only one thing at a time.

So beam sword lets you cut things in interesting ways on easier setting. Angel Beam sword is the "high speed high damage to one target" variant of the original. And the Beast Eater is for when multiple bosses are attacking you at once. It pushes them back and stuns weaker enemies, hits multiple strong targets, does huge damage per target, (the other one only does weak damage to multiple targets) and requires both arms. (but increased range. Also throwing it at them like spear can hit multiple enemies in a row IE if one demon is right behind the other they will both die instantly instead of just the demon right in front of the attack. To get it back you need special attachment to your suit which homes in on the weapon (like the super-strong but flexible string Tekkaman Blade uses to get his throwing lance back) which allows you to kill at range with the weapon without having to move from your position.

Each swing has unique sense of timing like in the punchout games where if you time it right you can gain more hits per swing just at the moment of impact. So it is never just mashing but mashing means you take longer to kill enemies. (think of the trick in Final Fight when you use Guy to end his combos faster than normal by timing each button press right at the moment his hand impacts the enemy ...but applied to doom so you have reward for timing attacks just right to kill more efficiently)

When you throw the Beast Eater at enemies by holding down the weapon in charged-up form (like holding the X Buster in Megaman for long time) and hit enemies in a row it is akin to the boomerang weapon the aliens used in the movie Predator 2: IE They cut right through the enemy and the body is cleanly cut in half (lower body and upper body seperated) but only if that is the last of their hitpoints. IE the final blow. When it is thrown by the player it is thrown like a giant boomerang and the character swing it like the hammer throw event in the olympics and it spins as it moves towards enemies; horizontally slicing anything in half that dies from loss of entire health bar. (if enemy has enough health it goes through them but they still live)

The advantage of throwing the beast eater like a spear is you get focused damage on a row of enemies. The advantage of the charged up throw (IE it spins like a boomerang) is they are sliced in half as it hits them and since it is hitting a wider horizontal space it has better chance of hitting the target. The normal spear throw will pierce at them and do more damage per target but the charged up throw can hit anything that is within the diameter of the spin of the sword as it travels forward way from you. So if there are LOTS and LOTS of enemies it may stun a group of weak guys in the general space you are attacking and buy some more time. (but it may not kill the tougher enemies in the group that you have thrown the weapon at because it does less damage per target than the spear throw which gives you more focused damage. Spear throw would be safer on fewer enemies of very high health, but the charged up throw is better when you are outnumbered and need to stun large mobs of weaker guys who are like hordes of little rats gnawing at your health bar) Moving quickly and making sure the walls are close is the key to ending the move faster because the closer the wall is the less lag time to retrieve the sword with grapple move. Swords are all about enclosed spaces and corner trapping enemies by dashing at them in places where they have limited options to dodge. (see Galak Z. Great game where beating the shit out of things with melee and rushing forward is rewarding experience)

If you watched the anime Berserk you'll understand the appeal of two handed melee weapon that can cut through lots of enemies at once. Chainsaw from classic game was limited. High powered close combat stuff should be what future game offers so you get close and personal regardless of whether enemies rush towards you or you rush toward them. FPS don't have to neglect non shooty weapons.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I hope Mick Gordon is back on sound.
Seemed like it from that video.

Yep - Just checked his website. Definitely. Awesome.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

I'll pop this here rather than dig up the old Doom thread. I was getting some micro stutter using Vulkan @ 1440p ultra upon running the game last night. The in-game FPS overlay was showing an undulating 75 to 100-ish FPS which translated to stutter every couple of seconds. One instance of it would be barely noticeable but every two seconds was like ice skating uphill. I tried OpenGL and it was liquid smooth. Vulkan my pref obviously given the performance increase. I ended up capping the FPS to 75 and it was back to liquid.

Did anyone else experience similar? I checked online and there are numerous stutter complaints from Radeon and Nvidia users but I couldn't find a common solution.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I haven’t played since upgrading, but on my old system (3770k/980Ti) I don’t remember getting stutters, but using the Vulkan api I was getting constant coil whine from my gpu, so I used dx11 instead.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Peppermint Lounge wrote:I'll pop this here rather than dig up the old Doom thread. I was getting some micro stutter using Vulkan @ 1440p ultra upon running the game last night. The in-game FPS overlay was showing an undulating 75 to 100-ish FPS which translated to stutter every couple of seconds. One instance of it would be barely noticeable but every two seconds was like ice skating uphill. I tried OpenGL and it was liquid smooth. Vulkan my pref obviously given the performance increase. I ended up capping the FPS to 75 and it was back to liquid.

Did anyone else experience similar? I checked online and there are numerous stutter complaints from Radeon and Nvidia users but I couldn't find a common solution.
I managed to fix this so thought I'd stick the resolution here. I encountered the same stutter in Witcher 3 and Hitman 2016. Upon running Wattman I observed my GPU clock would dip then spike every few seconds coinciding with the stutter I'd observe in game. Don't ask me why but dropping res to 1080p would smooth the GPU clock despite GPU activity remaining at or near 100%. Capping FPS also helped as per workaround previously described. Anyway, the fix - there's an AMD compatibility section in MSI Afterburner with a checkbox 'Disable ULPS (Ultra Low Powerstate Mode). Checked it and stutter is completely gone. I'd already toggled Windows 10 power modes with no effect so pleased to have found this. Doom, W3, Hitman all smooth as silk with uncapped FPS.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Ok so while the previous fix improved things the gpu clock was still inconsistent. Ended up undervolting my card and slightly increasing the power limit. Clock is now locked at its max speed and tested stable during gaming and benchmarks.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Impressions. Not allowed to record so no new vision. Still, I suspect we'll all be getting this. :up:
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:I suspect we'll all be getting this. :up:
"On PC like God intended" :up:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Ambrose Burnside

+ If you preorder, you get a copy of Doom 64 on whichever platform you preorder on

- Delayed until March 2020
- Switch version delayed even further
- Invasion mode unavailable at launch, will be a free update at some point

Q1 2020 is going to be insane. The Last of Us Part II, Doom Eternal, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Watch Dogs: Legion, Bloodlines 2 and then Cyberpunk in April :shock:
id Software's idea of heaven can wait. The studio today announced that Doom Eternal, the first-person shooter sequel that shows the traditionally hell-bound franchise's alternative afterlife, has been pushed back to a March 20 release date.

"Throughout the development of Doom Eternal, our goal has been to deliver a game that exceeds your greatest expectations across the board," the studio said in a statement. "To make sure we're delivering the best experience -- for Doom Eternal to live up to our standards of speed and polish -- we've made the decision to extend our launch date by a few months to March 20, 2020. We know many fans will be disappointed by this delay, but we are confident that Doom Eternal will deliver a gaming experience that is worth the wait."

Additionally, the Switch version of the game has been delayed even further, as has the Invasion mode where a player can enter another's game as a playable demon. There's no new release window for the Switch edition of Doom Eternal, but the Invasion mode for other versions will be added to the game as a free update "shortly after launch."

In other Doom news, the studio announced that Doom 64 will be launching on Xbox One, PS4, and PC in addition to the previously announced port for Switch. Those who preorder Doom Eternal on any platform will get Doom 64 on the same platform for free when the retro game launches alongside Doom Eternal on March 20.

Doom Eternal was previously announced as launching November 22. Bumping a game from a holiday release window to the first quarter can sometimes give it a more open release window with less competition, but it's debatable how much of a break Doom Eternal will get on that front. The Last of Us Part II is scheduled for a late February 2020 launch, with Final Fantasy VII Remake, Watch Dogs: Legion, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons all set to debut in March.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

New trailer out today.
This is shaping up to be much better than I ever expected, the new weapon based melee combat, so awesome.
Ambrose Burnside

I hope that's not representative of the final game! Way too much talking and cut scenes!

Needs more punching of computers to shut them up!
Ambrose Burnside

https://www.pcgamer.com/doom-eternal-hands-on-gameplay/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FAITH RESTORED!!!
Ambrose Burnside

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/doom- ... 0-6472904/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ambrose Burnside

I wonder how close this gen will go to having its best ever year in its final year? Doom, Cyberpunk, Final Fantasy VII...
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Amazon have $5 off preorders right now with the price match guarantee that stacks.

Got this and cyberpunk pre-ordered for 63 bucks each. :up:
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:+ If you preorder, you get a copy of Doom 64 on whichever platform you preorder on
This is actually cool. I've played a bit of Doom 64 via sourceports and reverse engineering, but it'll be super cool to see it treated property at last.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Ambrose Burnside

unfnknblvbl wrote:
Ambrose Burnside wrote:+ If you preorder, you get a copy of Doom 64 on whichever platform you preorder on
This is actually cool. I've played a bit of Doom 64 via sourceports and reverse engineering, but it'll be super cool to see it treated property at last.

It's the only version of Doom I've never played, and as a Doom tragic I'm pretty keen to check it out too.

Another plus and minus:

+ no lootboxes or microtransactions
- no ray tracing for quite some time (if ever)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

From what I've seen, I'm really not fussed about the lack of ray tracing
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

I refuse to play it unless there's ray tracing
Ambrose Burnside

Heh, well it is a negative even if not a lot of people have hardware that supports it. I don't think my graphics card supports it.