Dead Cells (metroidvania roguelite game)

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Here is a new metroidvania style game to look out for.
Animation looks good. Retro responsive controls look tight (reminds me of the strider metroidvania a bit) and the rogue-lite gameplay gives it the replayability we crave in modern titles.

What I would love to see is a Rogue-lite that takes the style of Aliens game on the nintendo DS.
Change the character from being a colonial marine into a battle android which can hack into the ships computers to access information about the alien infestation and the types of alien breeds that have taken over. Games like Xenophobe should be its inspiration. As you beat the game you unlock new classes (each one requiring more skill to beat the game as) As you kill aliens you craft weapons and armor and learn abilities they have which increases the techniques you can use to make the character fully customisable like in a fulll blown rpg.

It's a shame nintendo don't do the 2d metroid games anymore. If Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night sells like crazy they should think about doing their own open world roguelite with metroid gameplay. (give us galaxy to explore like no man's sky but without boring lifeless environments but instead hostile races of alien all fighting for control over the surface but with nice combat and animation and controls. ie steal starbound's ideas but don't make action crappy. Give it arcade difficulty)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Can't see what he posted but seriously, WTF? Posts about a PC only title that isn't coming to any console at the moment so he isn't going to buy it. Bought this last week, can confirm it is an awesome early access game, glad I am actively supporting the developer in bringing this to as many platforms as possible. Will posts impressions in an owners thread shortly.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
flipswitch
que
que

Re: Dead Cells (metroidvania roguelite game)

Post by flipswitch »

I think GameHED has himself on ignore now...
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Rorschach wrote:Can't see what he posted but seriously, WTF? Posts about a PC only title that isn't coming to any console at the moment so he isn't going to buy it. Bought this last week, can confirm it is an awesome early access game, glad I am actively supporting the developer in bringing this to as many platforms as possible. Will posts impressions in an owners thread shortly.
PC-only LOL :lol:

The best games that go to pc always end up on console eventually. Very naive...

Shovel Knight one of the best of the indie platform action games is out on nintendo consoles. Terraria and Minecraft are pretty much on every cnosole known to man now. (including vita and 3DS. :D Nobody gives a shit about your opinion. They care whether it turns out good or not. And no matter what platform you play it on the gameplay will be identical you dumb fucktard. LOL

BTW who the fuck would choose to play this on pc over a console with proper controllers?! Yes a lot of interesting indie games end up on pc first but we all know the premium stuff never stays there exclusively. And some of the best stuff is console focused. (take Galak-Z as an example. Doubt pc gamers have the skill to beat this game without dying at all using their shitty keyboards to manuever haha)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Um, the game has full controller support on PC.

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I can't see anything this idiot posts since he's on ignore, but he's posting a thread about a PC game...then claiming it doesn't have controller support even though it clearly does?

:lol:

Yep, this idiot surely even ignores his own posts? He's so fucken dumb
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

What a Fuckwit. I could have told him it had controller support.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Reka

Post by Reka »

I picked up Dead Cells last weekend and have been really enjoying it. Even though it's early access and essentially incomplete it's still well polished and a lot of fun.

Anyone who enjoyed Rogue Legacy should check it out. This is more fun and has more of that 'just one more go' feel to it in my opinion.

Recommended.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/nxe/Reka.png[/img]
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Rorschach wrote:Image

What a Fuckwit. I could have told him it had controller support.
If you didn't have him on ignore you could've notified him a lot earlier. What a cunt.

:D
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Candy Arse wrote:I can't see anything this idiot posts since he's on ignore, but he's posting a thread about a PC game...then claiming it doesn't have controller support even though it clearly does?

Nobody believes you when you say you ignore posts you don't like. You said you'd ignore Jasper and kept posting in reply to him.

And needing a console style controller for PC only reinforces why this game is eventually going to have to come to consoles you idiot.

Nobody is going to play console-like action games on pc when they can just play them on consoles instead. There is nothing the pc versions does you couldn't do on console too! Why would people who make games limit themselves to one platform? They want to be seen in as many places and in as many platforms as they can to make more money. Use your fucking brain you zombie.

Only a matter of time before games like Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny come to the consoles once all the money dries up... :up:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Candy Arse wrote:I can't see anything this idiot posts since he's on ignore, but he's posting a thread about a PC game...then claiming it doesn't have controller support even though it clearly does?

*bump*

eurogamer reviews is out:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... -ever-play" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

on all systems that matter now.. Candy doomed. Buses all over the world are becoming full of people playing on the go now.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Nearing the end of 2018 and still no one cares.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Switch version suffers from performance issues, avoid it.

Looks a little repetitive and mashy, also the bosses are massive damage sponges, I just went through dark souls 2 and I enjoy a challenge but bosses that take an eternity to kill as you chip away 2 hp every hit is not my idea of challenging or fun.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

It's interesting you say that because I am now on my final run through Far Cry Primal on extreme difficulty mode. And I find one guy's repetition is another guy's challenge. I ran through hard just as easily as normal difficulty. When I went to extreme difficulty I felt that was the true hard mode. A sabretooth tiger can kill in 2 hits and you feel scared to explore so you always sneak. Taking down big animals now requires headshot with spears and it's dangerous to fight mobs.

Then there are modes where you can turn on survival mode and other things (no respawning after death) to make it even harder than that.

I think there is a genuine thirst for hard games but in a good way where you can ease into them. Once you strike the sweet spot where it's fun for all difficulty level of players, you will get good scores. I speed run open world games after I know where everything is so whatever was once hard on first attempt becomes a routine on second and third attempt. The difficulty placed high just adds a sense of danger so I don't see it as frustrating to die but it gives you a thrill that you can escape death by the skin of your teeth. Too many games today are aimed at casuals so they don't get mad and return the game to ebgames out of frustration of not being good enough to complete the game.

I would rather have a long game that is 30 percent easy, 40 percent medium and then the final part hard...then a game that is hard right at the beginning but really short. It lets me ease into the game a bit. If all games were designed around the idea that you as a player always see something new on a more challenging playthrough, the repetition wouldn't be an issue because the sense of danger outweighs the boring repetition. Everytime you play a game doing the exact same action again and again is repetitive. But what makes you pay attention is the sense that you might die or get surprised if you don't pay attention to what is happening onscreen at all times. As your skill get better you feel that the danger that was once ridiculous is actually normal. It's just that when you don't give players a chance to ease into the game it can result in frustration. They just need to make titles longer at the start point to boost the player's confidence a bit first. Too many games want to be known as "dark souls" forgetting that people invest long term into that. Making a game short and annoying without some way to ease into the game limits the appeal to try to get into it.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Dead Cells is awesome, on PC at least. I played it in early access but didn't really feel it at the time. The finished game looks and plays awesome. This would have been a perfect Vita game. As it is, it's a more refined Metroid like game. Controls are basically spot on and animation is super fluid. The bosses aren't particularly sophisticated but the levels and progression can take a while. My longest run so far was 90 minutes, go to the second boss and he took me down in his second form. I like it, definitely a worthy purchase.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

The Switch version is up to par now and is my preferred way to play this game (have it on PC too because I'm an idiot who buys the same game more than once) because of the portable option when I'm on the road, holidays etc.

Game is fucking amazing.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Hits gamepass on the 5th next month
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Candy Arse wrote:Game is fucking amazing.
Agree. It would have been my 2018 number 2 if I'd played it last year. Fucking amazing game.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Picked this up on a whim tonight, wanted something different to play for a change and I enjoyed Rogue Legacy on the Vita back in the day. Enjoying it so far, took me ages to die the first time so had actually forgotten about the rogue-esque gameplay so that was welcomed.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.