Total votes: 9

t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Nex Machina out now! (PS4/PC)

Post by t0mby »

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... th-machine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone picking this up? Housemarquee have collaborated with industry legend Eugene Jarvis to bring us a modern take on Robotron 2084. Game uses an upgraded version of their voxel engine used in Resogun and apparently filled with secrets and Easter eggs.

Just bought it myself, will report back shortly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Re: Nex Machina out now! (PS4/PC)

Post by Rorschach »

Picked it up on PC but because of time zone bullshit have to wait another few hours. Was going to get it on PS4 but nearly $10 more
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Loved Robotron. Will check it out. Would play awesome on Switch with waggle aiming.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

First thing that captured my attention upon starting my first game is the level transition, it's awesome. Game looks mint on my 4k telly, great soundtrack and it doesn't take long for the action to come thick and fast. I started on the default difficulty (of which there are 4 but the last one is locked) and then after finishing the first world I realized I missed every secret and didn't even save 33% of the humans. Next game I started the first world again on the easiest difficulty just to give myself a bit more time and freedom to look around and there's definitely a lot to find. Also, there is no training or hints at all. Zip, nadda, zilch, so it takes a couple of goes to learn about your secondary power ups, dashing capabilities and what exactly can be destroyed/what yields secrets.

Each stage seems relatively small to medium in size but I am sure this will change on the later levels. So far though this game ticks all the boxes of being a great twin stick arcade game.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

I'll be checking it out.
F for Fake

Post by F for Fake »

Nex minit, owns nex machina
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

And now Nex Machina will own you. :D

I rate this above Resogun, but then Robotron 2084 is one of my favorite arcade games. Can't wait to see the documentary they're making on the development of the game.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I thought I was hardcore but soon dialed it down to Rookie just to get through the first world. Game is intense, just so much going on. You definitely need to be in the zone to play this game.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

You think this game is too tough eh? Try playing it on Switch. It's nearly impossible.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Grabbed it on PC, I got 30% off which is nice, I'll have a crack later tonight.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Just went through Experienced and clocked it, fuck the supreme AI, I think I used 40 continues alone trying to beat that cunt. Massive adrenaline rush.

I think I need to lie down. :smoking:
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Just purchased on PS4 to compliment my new 4K tv. Game is insane! I love it. And the music is godlike. Early contender for my personal game of 2017...
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Good to see a few people from my friends list biting the bullet (puuuuunnnnnn!), managed to get a sub 200 ranked score in Arcade on Novice as well. Trying Experienced now to unlock the 6th mission as it doesn't unlock on the easiest difficulty which is fair enough.
F for Fake

Post by F for Fake »

Finished on Experienced. Really digging the Lava stage's music.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Fuck that Superior AI motherfucker, must've wasted like 50 continues on that bitch. Only had to hit it with one more rocket or another 2 secs of my Primary. This game sucks hairy Jasper arse.

:t0mby:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Bought my digital copy. I don't like that thee is too many flashing things on the screen. I would have preferred a shooter where they went with more of a Smash TV look of solid things and your character does a dodge roll rather than a dash through bullets. But it is a well presented shooter. I think it is time to get over the 70s. When an object blows up it should shatter into lots of little objects and parts explode everywhere. There should be a meaty explosion that sounds deep and low frwequency, and they should be droping money. Remember when you would get cash and prizes in smash tv and collecting the loot was half of the fun?

Otherwise a good game. Twin Stick shooters are a crowded genre now. Please do a twin stick shooter with totally destructible environments please.
I want to play as a guy in a mech and you can blow up any building, any house, and you can colect loot from dead robots that you just killed. They had destructible environmnts in Assulat Suits Valken so it is not a new thing to put into retro games.

Stop wasting time stuck in the 70s. Drugs are bad for your mind. Get off your lazy arses and make me my game. (and don't put in electronicy sound effects for guns and explosions, but real sounding explosions and environmental damage eg wherever I walk around there should be little cracks on the floor where there is soft ground. There should be little tracers for every bullet I fire, objects glow red just as they are melted into high temperature before blowing up like in metal slug etc etc) Sections of a boss should break apart based on where you shot, and electricity and busted wires should be seen where the damage was. The Amiga 500 could do all this shit in the 80s.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

t0mby wrote:Fuck that Superior AI motherfucker, must've wasted like 50 continues on that bitch. Only had to hit it with one more rocket or another 2 secs of my Primary. This game sucks hairy Jasper arse.

Yep know that feeling, I hate the trash mobs you need to fight before hand every fucking time on continue, I kept getting raped by that ninja star move, when you lose triple dash you can't get out of way quick enough.

I like the game, but the level restart on death is annoying as fuck. Not only do you lose power ups but you need to clear everything you've killed all over again. I don't know of any bullet hell shooter that punishes like that.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

What kept getting me on that last level was when you started a new credit if you died before you got the the secondary weapon then you lost it completely. I'd end up killing all my men and continuing again. I found the Rocket Launcher was best for that boss although the Smart Bomb is ideal for taking out any bullets/skulls.
F for Fake

Post by F for Fake »

Oh man, just fought Nex Machina herself. If you 1c the whole game you fight her. I managed to do it my first try on experienced (as in, I had beaten the last stage, then have just been playing single stages a whole bunch until I learned about the new boss fight)
What a cheating cunt though! You're in space and there's no clear edges of the stage, but it's actually really fucking small and I used up all my lives finding the edges of the stage :(
Awesome game though, great music that makes for some sweet moments when it hits those epic notes during battle.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

lestat wrote:
t0mby wrote:Fuck that Superior AI motherfucker, must've wasted like 50 continues on that bitch. Only had to hit it with one more rocket or another 2 secs of my Primary. This game sucks hairy Jasper arse.

Yep know that feeling, I hate the trash mobs you need to fight before hand every fucking time on continue, I kept getting raped by that ninja star move, when you lose triple dash you can't get out of way quick enough.

I like the game, but the level restart on death is annoying as fuck. Not only do you lose power ups but you need to clear everything you've killed all over again. I don't know of any bullet hell shooter that punishes like that.

Play Livelock. Much more slow and has destructible environments and physics:
This is what an updated Smash TV would be like if Arcades weren't dead. (looting the dead things and taking money off of them is what I miss about the Smash TV games - collecting shit is satisfying to me as much as shooting)
It's 2017 and we should be able to see pieces of buildings fall apart in twin stick games like how environments are destroyed in a dragon ball z fight to give a sense of the power you have compared to everyone else. (think back to raiden 2 when you dropped a nuke on the ground and get to see the crater appear where you dropped the *bomb - that kinda shit should be standard now. If Assault Suits Valken/Cybernator could do it, then people working with new tech should be able to have that too)

*or alternatively lots of tiny craters if you used cluster bombs for soft targets