XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Re: Scorpio / Xbox One X

Post by lestat »

Jasper wants MS to return to the old days of holding back all their games to xbox only. Except that's a bad deal for gamers and hurts their windows stores aspirations.

Overall I don't see them reversing that strategy as the world moves to a more service orientated model for software, the device you use becomes less important.

If it makes you feel better jasper, the games are Microsoft platform exclusives. :)

You can't play them on Linux/playstation/Nintendo/android/ios.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Nothing can be changed now and it's probably too late but MS needs to double down on the Xbox as a platform and as a brand. It needs to uncouple the platform from this UWP bullshit. The games barely work on PC so focus every on the console side of things and distribute through a better platform on PC like Steam or Origin. It needs more 1st party developers under its wing which equals more exclusives (none of this timed nonsense), it could stand to court the indie developers and to really get back in the game it needs to drop the price on Live. If Live was even 25% cheaper than it is now you probably see drift back towards the platform.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Rorschach wrote:It needs more 1st party developers under its wing which equals more exclusives (none of this timed nonsense), it could stand to court the indie developers and to really get back in the game it needs to drop the price on Live.
This is what I've been saying all along; letting Bungie and Bizarre go was a really, really silly move, and it just shows where MS really began losing the plot.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Bungie didn't want to stay otherwise they'd just be stuck in a Halo sweat shop.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

It's not like what they left to make really diverted all to much from what they were doing with Halo. MS could have split the studio.

The problem is first party for the most part is a big money loser, Nintendo being the exception. But you need it to differentiate and give people a reason to own your system if it's weak and poor at 3rd party.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:
Madmya wrote:To the Negative Nancies:

What should Microsoft do?
Microsoft needs to get exclusives people care about. A compelling reason for your average person to pick up a One S or One X over a PS4 or PS4 Pro
Madmya wrote:So, again, what should Microsoft do? You didn't say anything then except comment on what is already known.
Jasper wrote:How about start with some Xbox One EXCLUSIVE games!
Madmya wrote:Agreed.
:lol:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

He holds Jasper's views on gaming in pretty high esteem :lol:
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

It's funny. The longer this gen goes on the more I find myself wishing MS went through with their original install and play (without the disc) vision. Who knows what that might have done to physical game prices. Shame they couldn't have come up with a link and unlink function so that you could on sell physical games.

I pretty much use the Xbox and PS4 interchangeably as it means I can play two games at once without changing discs. Total overkill but hey.

Just payed $1500 for an i7 7700 & GTX 1070 system. Which was a bargain too. Though compared to consoles it's gonna have to prove its worth.

Also my last Xbox gold membership cost $42. Certainly not hundreds.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

I think you'll find over time the price of games on digital platforms and the free to play online setup will mitigate the higher entry point of a PC system. I only play my PS4 now for first party stuff. Anytime a multi platform game comes out it's always cheaper on PC. If you have a mate, or mates, you can library share between each other with Steam. I do it with 3 others, gives me access to 700 odd games
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Ambrose Burnside

lestat wrote: I get free games with my live sub, the value is great. I get no free games on PC.
Wait what?

The free games you get with Live is excellent, but if you haven't picked up a shitload of free games (genuinely free too, no subscription required) across Steam, Origin, GOG, Humble Bundle (which from my experience are activated in Steam) etc etc etc then you're doing it wrong :lol:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I've scored quite a few free games through Steam and Origin - actual free, not faux free like PSN or XBL.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Yeah, same. Humble Bundle is great for it too. Scored Killing Floor 2 for nothing last month, great game for coop.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Candy Arse wrote:He holds Jasper's views on gaming in pretty high esteem :lol:
Rocco is special and requires special attention.

If your answer is more exclusive titles Ambrose, then "no shit".
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Rorschach wrote:I think you'll find over time the price of games on digital platforms and the free to play online setup will mitigate the higher entry point of a PC system. I only play my PS4 now for first party stuff. Anytime a multi platform game comes out it's always cheaper on PC. If you have a mate, or mates, you can library share between each other with Steam. I do it with 3 others, gives me access to 700 odd games
What is the price of brand new games on Steam? $70?

So assuming a new PC is $2k, you'll be finally hitting profits on your 47th new release game. :up:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

When dollar isn't great, buying of steam can be more expensive, especially when they price stuff in USD at the same value as RRP AU, ie $79/89.

You need to usually go to key sites to get better value/prices. Also again on PC you can't trade in games, even retail games are just keys to download.

Also I think soon we have to pay GST on steam purchases, add another 10% on top.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Nice try but I don't buy new release games through Steam, only when a sale is on. Never paid more than $60AUD for AAA release, on average I pay about $45-50. Case in point was Prey, console gamers were getting stung for what, $79 at the very cheapest? Picked it up for $43AUD day one. Plenty of reputable key resellers out there - CDkeys, Greenman, GOG, Kinguin, Play-Asia, Humble Bundle etc.

Edit - Another example, Wolfenstein 2 is the next game I want. $89 for a PS4 or Xbone copy, $47 on PC. PC gives you choice and doesn't lock you into anti-consumer pricing.
Last edited by Rorschach on 11 Jul 2017 09:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambrose Burnside

Madmya wrote:
Candy Arse wrote:He holds Jasper's views on gaming in pretty high esteem :lol:
Rocco is special and requires special attention.

If your answer is more exclusive titles Ambrose, then "no shit".
It's also the answer of everyone else that answered your question too. See:
unfnknblvbl wrote:
Rorschach wrote:It needs more 1st party developers under its wing which equals more exclusives (none of this timed nonsense)
This is what I've been saying all along; letting Bungie and Bizarre go was a really, really silly move, and it just shows where MS really began losing the plot.
So why bother asking it if you're just going to dismiss the answer? :?
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Because it's an obvious answer. I mean, shit, here's the answer: Microsoft should get a first party portfolio better than Nintendo. Why didn't I think of that earlier!

It's not what I'm after, and frankly, forget it. The answer is Microsoft is doing all the right things after Mattrick's colossal fuck-up. In time they'll grab exclusives if they keep doing things right.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Too little too late. Microsoft could've started this generation with a bang and carried on like last generation but no, they done fuxked up and have been playing catch up ever since.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Yep, they're toast.

I welcomed our PS4 overlords a few years ago; officially declaring this gen won by Sony.
Ambrose Burnside

It's OK guys, the answer to "What should Microsoft do?" is in fact nothing because they're doing everything right! :up:

Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Scorpio / Xbox One X

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Don't forget if your employer has a remote access platform which most now do you can claim on your PC purchase, depreciation, home office, etc. Everyone needs a computer. Minimal extra outlay would give you one capable of 1080p ultra @ 60fps. Once you have a machine it's cheap as hell to acquire more AAA games than you're able to play.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:It's OK guys, the answer to "What should Microsoft do?" is in fact nothing because they're doing everything right! :up:

Usually I'd assume someone posting this is being deliberately dense but I'm just not sure anymore.

To say Microsoft is doing nothing is plain stupid. They're probably trying harder than anyone else. But I do agree with Tomby and Candy, this gen is already gone.
Ambrose Burnside

Ambrose Burnside wrote:And I can't see them making up the difference this gen (if generations even exist anymore!).
And, you know, me too.

I assumed your question, "what should Microsoft do?", meant above and beyond what they're already doing. And considering everybody else responded the same way (get some fucking exclusives) it's fair to say everyone read it the same way as well. Otherwise, if you feel they're already doing everything they can, then the answer to "what should Microsoft do?" is nothing. Because they're already doing everything they can.

But yes, carry on.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

What can MS do?
They need compelling exclusives.