Sundered (Indie metroidvania game for PC, PS4)

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Sundered (Indie metroidvania game for PC, PS4)

Post by GameHED »

Thought I'd create a thread on this game. As a big fan of the metroidvania and roguelite genre as well as a fan of survival type games (Terrarria etc) I think this game needs some love especially in light of nintendo ignoring us metroid fans for an entire generation.

$30 on OZ PS Store.
Anyone else playing this or plan to buy? Indie games and handheld games never seem to get any hype on these boards I notice. Support these little guys so nintendo gets the hint that people still love metroid. (they ignored this genre all last gen on Wii U and on the 3DS which is insane. (only thing to look forward to is Metroid 2 3D remake coming soon :( I guess that is the apology for giving us Metroid Federation Force which is not what people wanted :D )

Indie stuff I still got to play:
Hyper Light Drifter
Rime
Dead Cells
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Re: Sundered (Indie metroidvania game for PC, PS4)

Post by GameHED »

After searching for some reviews I noticed ACG has already done a review of this. He didn't like the repetition of the respawning enemies it seems. In the game's defence Symphony of the Night had that too in the starting area of the castle where zombies constantly respawn but it felt right there since these are undead creatures and you don't see that all the time for the whole game. I think judging by the beautiful graphics and animation all the appeal was poured into the cosmetic stuff but level design isn't so good because areas lack purpose or a sense of place like the non-procedurally generated games have.
I will probably end up getting Salt and Sanctuary (will create a thread for this in case others have not yet heard of it) and Slain: Back From Hell. (this is basic action platform game similar to old school castlevania) Slain initially was crap but was fixed up in later editions and is fun. As long as this type of game is being made my Vita has a reason to be used daily.
Would like to see Sundered go down a bit in price. Action games < deep exploration and adventure (puzzles) games with RPG mechanics which is what Castlevania SOTN was and is the gold standard for these types of titles. You can buy Casltevania SOTN (the original Playstation 1 release) for $15 on PSN and Dracula X Chronicles (which includes Castlevania SOTN as an unlockable game and is modified edition of the original PS1 game with extra characters to play as and more content than the PS1 original release) also for $15 on PSN.

The indies need to take into account the competing games when considering pricing. Too expensive and you scare away sales. Too low and people will think the game is shit so might avoid it based on perception that it is of low priced because it isn't worth the time playing it. Once Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night comes out, would be the right time to offer discount on the game I think. (assuming the game actualy turns out good - might end up being like Mighty No.9 thing..hehe)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto