COD dropping campaign, battle royale incoming!

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

COD dropping campaign, battle royale incoming!

Post by lestat »

When reached for comment, an Activision spokesperson said, “We don’t comment on rumor and speculation. We look forward to revealing Black Ops 4 on May 17th.”

The sources, who asked for anonymity, said that as Black Ops 4’s release date approached, it became evident that development on the single-player campaign wouldn’t be completed. One source said Treyarch has since focused Black Ops 4’s development on expanding multiplayer and the series’ popular Zombies mode. The source described an emphasis on cooperative modes as a potential stand-in for the typical single-player campaign experience.
https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/17/17248 ... ce=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://twitter.com/charlieINTEL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BREAKING NEWS: CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS 4 officially confirmed, available OCTOBER 12!! Reveal May 17 https://charlieintel.com/2018/03/08/bla ... confirmed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Breaking - RUMOR: Raven Software possibly working on Battle Royale mode for Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
Big Budget single player games going the way of the dodo? Very interesting shifts going on right now.

I could understand why they need to drop the campaign, overhauling their quake derived engine to do large player counts and large scale terrain maps would be quite a big task. The huge sales and success of PUBG and fortnite prove younger gamers don't care for single player that much, looking for more social online games to spend their free time in.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Re: COD dropping campaign, battle royale incoming!

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I dunno, that Quake 3 tech has proved to be amazingly capable. Having said that, I'd be surprised if there was much of Carmack's original code left in there by now.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

They'd have data probably showing that it was only a small percentage who completed the campaign vs playing multiplayer for extended periods of time, so they just lean more into it. Makes sense.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

They're short, but I always enjoy the CoD campaigns.

Ah well. Before WW2 I hadn't played a CoD in a while. Guess I won't heading forward either.

Is there a sequel to Doom 2016 on the horizon?

EDIT: Also:

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/04/repor ... prototype/
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

More confirmation.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Battlefield V going Battle Royale too.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/04/18/dice ... le-royale/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Christmas time we'll be flooded by AAA battle royale games.

Kind of looking forward to a frostbite driven BR game, it's a lot better than UE4 at the task and will look phenomenal.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

This is known as the me-too problem. Think back to when Street Fighter 2 was the thing in the 90s. All the game companies had to have their own one-to-one fighting game to compete. When mario was big all the companies had to have a mascot game that could rake in the dough from sonic and mario. Tetris? Everyone had a clone of the tetris formula. etc

Now it's this.

I think it is important not to think in absolutes lestat. Sure multi is important to a lot of the new gamers but for the older crowd, single player is still a determining factor into whether to buy games. I have always said COD should split into two sets of game series like how Forza and Forza Horizon both compleement each other by offering different things.

Let there be single player COD and multi COD. And this way guys like me can get our fix of single player COD withot wasting money on buying the multi games.

As long as nintendo can entertain me with Zelda BOTW, and sony can give me games like God of War and single player still lives on through these masterpiece level titles, we single player gamers have nothing to worry about.

One thing that distrubs me however is the problem of GTA series: they are essentially a multiplayer game series now, and it's been loooong time since single player GTA. Will this type of trend also mean the death of single player gta, or will it just co-exist like what happened with elder scrolls? (the ESO games not killing off single player Elder Scrolls single player open world titles)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto