Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Age of Empires IV Announced!!!

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

And developed by Relic (Dawn of War, Company of Heroes) no less :run: :nana:

I'm so pumped. Age of Empires II is my most played game ever (still play it every weekend with Mrs Burnside) and Relic's games are amongst my all-time favourites too. The RTS is back!!! :nana:

WOLOLO!!!
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
Ambrose Burnside

Re: Age of Empires IV Announced!!!

Oh shit, they've also announced 'Definitive Editions' of Age of Empires II and III to go with the release of the Age of Empires Definitive Edition in October:
We then announced that we will be releasing Definitive Editions of both Age II and Age III, keep an eye out for more details about those!
Source

:nana:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

Interested to see what Relic do with it. I enjoy some AoE2 HD multi. I like the graphic style and the old school building/harvesting process, its quite "comfy".
Tho when it comes to gameplay i just race to the top tier and spam the best unit :B
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Do they still say ' Chopper' when they cut down trees?
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Looks interesting, still need to play some of the HD remaster of AOE2 though
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Aoe2 HD is a game I still play heaps with a bunch of mates, we will no doubt be all over 4 if they can come through with the gameplay that is expected of them.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

The HD edition is great. Runs on pretty much everything too. The AI is a lot better than the original version too.

The only downside to a Definitive Edition of II is that the player base will fracture even further. That's not a problem with I and III, but II is still quite popular, both the original (with mods) and the HD edition.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Yeah I just can't see many moving across to a definitive AOE2 from HD, HD is so accessible. I'll be hanging out for 4 as one of my mates I've never beaten he is a monster at AOE2 so hopefully I'll have a chance from a new game.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
F for Fake

Post by F for Fake »

Oh it's Windows 10 exclusive :lol: boo-urns!
Ambrose Burnside

Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition is out now and getting good reviews, but also:
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Was thinking "When did I reply to this thread and wasn't it only announced a few days ago?"

Makes sense now :lol:

Not sure I can get back into AOE after losing myself to Europa Universalis. But I'd like to try it at least.
Ambrose Burnside

pilonv1 wrote:Was thinking "When did I reply to this thread and wasn't it only announced a few days ago?"

Makes sense now :lol:

Not sure I can get back into AOE after losing myself to Europa Universalis. But I'd like to try it at least.
Steam says I've pumped a ridiculously embarrassing 595 hours into the HD Edition. No idea how many hours I played the original 1999 release before that. It would have been a lot.

So I'll be getting this :redface:

Games like Europa Universalis (or pretty much any Paradox game) are too frustrating for me. Any game where I need to have a YouTube video running at the same time to learn what to do isn't for me :lol: They do look awesome though.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Have put 336 hours in of the HD remake so yeah in same boat my mates and I are day 1 on this. Wanted to see some more actual game play but hopefully they are channeling AOE2 by that video.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I can't work out the download link, figured maybe it's the stress test so clicked request access to that.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

Froggy wrote: 17 Sep 2021 09:32 pm I can't work out the download link, figured maybe it's the stress test so clicked request access to that.
That's it. I'm downloading now. Thanks for the heads-up :)
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Wondering if it'll work across xbox insider and steam? I went Steam as my friends hate the xbox app.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
F for Fake

Post by F for Fake »

Sweet. Downloadin now.
Ambrose Burnside

Played first game. 2v2, human ally vs AI enemies.

Camera is zoomed in way too far, which makes everything too big and chunky compared to AOE2. Which I don't like. I like a much more zoomed out view of the battlefield.
It's obvious Relic made it. Similarities to Dawn of War (original) and Company of Heroes is everywhere. Remember Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, which was basically a reskinned AoE2? That's what this feels like, a reskinned Relic game.

I'm a bit meh. Felt that way after watching the trailers, still feel that way after playing it.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I enjoyed it. Feels like they have tried to make more of an advantage to getting to the next age before a rival.

Pros:
Each castle independently upgraded.
Rebuild town centre
Better options on pathways and strategies moving up age

Cons:
Pretty zoomed in but not like aoe4, I didn't mind it but hopefully they introduce a more zoomed out view
The cannons. It's game over if the other side gets to imperial and unleashes a few of those things. Taking down castles and other things in a couple of hits.
Not sure on the speed of building too so castles are much faster to build but seem weaker to cannons etc and don't seem to have nearly as much defence even after upgrading them.
Don't quite get the tech trees yet. See castles above and trying to maximise them they still seemed underpowered and maybe they just are now but felt like I'm missing some upgrades from somewhere.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Had another bash last night. Water combat seems better, more balanced. Those cannons though, had a network of castles, upgraded with cannons and got absolutely smashed because the other dude got to the imperial first with some of those cannons and that was it. They move as fast as military units so you can't get to them very easily, with 2 he just nuked my whole base.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

Froggy wrote: 20 Sep 2021 02:37 pm Had another bash last night. Water combat seems better, more balanced. Those cannons though, had a network of castles, upgraded with cannons and got absolutely smashed because the other dude got to the imperial first with some of those cannons and that was it. They move as fast as military units so you can't get to them very easily, with 2 he just nuked my whole base.
I haven't played competitive but I did play another skirmish. This time with an AI teammate instead of human.

Last time I played Archipelago, this time I played Black Forest.

The AI is a lot better on land. On Archipelago they landed on the islands that had the sacred sites on them, and even built bases on them, but didn't bother to capture the site :? On Black Forest they did capture them, but didn't protect them or anything. When I captured one I plonked a castle there and they didn't come close to being able to re-capture it.

Built up an army of longbowmen, trebuchets and pikemen, and stomped all over them.

The AI is shit.

BUT this game did "feel" more AoE than the first game I played so that's something at least.

That camera though. Boy oh boy wowee.

It needs a lot of work for a game that is only one month away from release.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Yeah but I'm wondering if we got a build discouraging single player like that and wanting human matchups. The camera I reckon only needs a little further maybe 10-15% more and it will be right. Those friggin cannons though will shit me if there is t some balance, siege unit that can take a castle down with four hits and is as agile as nearly a horse lol
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

Apparently the camera was zoomed in even further during the closed beta, everyone complained, they zoomed it out a bit further for this open one but nowhere near enough.

Good point on the AI. Still, disappointing for a game only one month away.
Ambrose Burnside

Release is next Friday. Wish I was more pumped. Will download because Game Pass, but yeah. Really hoping the camera can be zoomed out further. I doubt it though.