Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Mad loot box bro 
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Gamertag: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: m00nwalker
Saw this in my news feed today.

https://www.vg247.com/2017/10/09/massive-call-of-duty-ww2-leak-spoils-loot-crates-nazi-zombies-maps-camos-weapons-and-pretty-much-everything-else/

So COD:WW2 is the latest to get loot boxes.

And Ass Creed too.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-09-heres-the-deal-with-assassins-creed-origins-in-game-loot-chests

Destiny 2, Forza 7, Shadow of War, Call of Duty: WW2, Star Wars: Battlefront 2, AssCreed Origins.

Holy crap, RIP AAA Gaming.

10 Oct 2017 02:04 pm
Profile WWW
Almost Original

Fantastic, that is a hell of a lot of games I no longer feel compelled to purchase. Hopefully this bites them in the arse nicely.

10 Oct 2017 02:14 pm
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Gamertag: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya
I'll spare my outrage until I actually play the games.

10 Oct 2017 02:16 pm
Cheats

Gamertag: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Mii: GenerationX_2k
Steam ID: Gen X
Luckily not one game mentioned affects the games I play.

Narrator: "He spoke too soon"

selfish wrote:
Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.

Currently playing: Yakuza 0

10 Oct 2017 03:36 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Gamertag: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya
Maybe the bigger problem is it targets a specific kind of person, like the F2P mobile phone games.

10 Oct 2017 03:38 pm
10000 words or your money back!

Yes the gambling idea must be very profitable in that area so they scrap the season pass crap and do this instead which is worse because you may not even get what you expected.
Sometimes when I get angry I play the happy song to calm me down.

The only way to win this is for everyone to boycott the games which have these features in them. Warn everyone that if you don't pay the money you will be forced to grind forever to get everything. They can alter the way a game plays by making it a bitch to reach the power level of the other players who bought their way to easy victories.

Soon gaming will go back to the days of the arcade game. You put in a few dollars and you get to play the game you already paid for at retail or digital store for a credit. If you die, you have to pay more money to play the game again or continue where you left off.

We have come full circle.

10 Oct 2017 07:15 pm

lestat wrote:
Saw this in my news feed today.

https://www.vg247.com/2017/10/09/massive-call-of-duty-ww2-leak-spoils-loot-crates-nazi-zombies-maps-camos-weapons-and-pretty-much-everything-else/

So COD:WW2 is the latest to get loot boxes.

And Ass Creed too.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-09-heres-the-deal-with-assassins-creed-origins-in-game-loot-chests

Destiny 2, Forza 7, Shadow of War, Call of Duty: WW2, Star Wars: Battlefront 2, AssCreed Origins.

Holy crap, RIP AAA Gaming.

other related vids worth watching:

They are all conspiring to raise the cost of videogames. It's price fixing. Probably paid off the government not to go after them for addicting little kids into gambling.

The videogame industry much like the big pharma industry (which produces fake science to trick us into believing MMR vaccine is safe for kids even though it causes autism) will spend big bucks to convince us we are wrong for wanting games that are normal. They will normalise the wallet rape in the same way the marxists are normalising kids to act feminine as part of a greater agenda to make us weaker and weaker.

And people were nitpicking nintendo for hiding the hardest mode of Samus Returns through amiibo. Well this is far worse because it's a hidden thing that nobody knew about till the last second. At least nintendo is upfront with the rape.

Last edited by GameHED on 10 Oct 2017 07:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10 Oct 2017 07:44 pm

We should all start a petition with our names on the list to show these game companies we don't want this stuff in future.

What do you guys think?

Do petitions work anymore?

Or is the dollar more important than thousands/millions of names on a list telling them to stop this anti-consumer shit?

Videogame companies could very well be the ShinRa corporation of the future and rule over everything given how big its gotten.
Every feminist and her dog which she fucks plays games now all of a sudden as if they were nerds all along. When things get popular they end up sucking thanks to new people destroying the soul of what the originals were about. (thank god for indie rpg titles like Pillars of Eternity to go back in time to the 90s and give us old school games)

10 Oct 2017 07:52 pm
Team Wowboy

Gamertag: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb
t0mby wrote:
Luckily not one game mentioned affects the games I play.
Narrator: "He spoke too soon"

Your post is a little vague.

But, Battlefront II is absolutely Pay2Win. In a full priced game. FUCK THAT SHIT.

I'm not buying any of the games in the OP.

12 Oct 2017 06:34 am
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

I get NBA 2K every year but this year I haven't pulled the trigger until I get it discounted because it is so unbalanced now with the fucking micro transactions

12 Oct 2017 10:06 am
Dot Eater

I'm not planning on playing any of the other games Lestat listed in the OP, but in the case of Destiny 2 I haven't spent a cent on microtransactions, don't intend to, and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. You are handed the same loot boxes at a steady rate just through playing, and everything's either purely cosmetic or available elsewhere in-game anyway. Just as an experiment, I saved up Bright Engrams (loot boxes) until I had the same amount you'd get for paying $30, and opened them all in one hit, simulating the purchase. Didn't get anything all that exciting beyond the giddy thrill of opening them in rapid succession, and confirmed for myself that I'm not interested in spending money on this stuff. Still enjoy opening them at the rate the game hands them to me, I've gotten some cool things here and there.

Two points I'd like to make here. In a lot of people's minds the mention of loot boxes equates to pay-to-win, but it really depends how it's implemented. I ask myself the question "If someone poured infinite money into this, how would the game experience change?", and the answer for Destiny 2 is "They'd look different and have a silly dance", so I'm not too concerned. It's not like there's some killer weapon hiding in the loot pool or something. Aside from the engrams there's also a selection of loot you can buy directly that's on a weekly rotation, and you get the required currency from dismantling engram rewards you don't want. In many ways it's a more consumer-friendly approach than what came before it in Destiny 1. I've got enough of the currency now to buy the armour that's available, but after saving up chose not to in the end as it was functionally inferior to the setup I already have. Destiny 2 isn't pay to win, and I don't think loot boxes have really harmed the game at this stage.

The second, far more negative point is that the practice of selling a loot box that offers one or two things from a huge singular pool of items is really shitty. I've never been a fan of microtransactions, but if you're going to do it, have a proper storefront where you can buy what you want, or at the very least segregate the drops into multiple smaller pools or eliminate duplicates or something (Overwatch has made positive strides in this regard from what I hear). Hypothetically if I decided I wanted the armour set that's exclusive to Eververse (microtransaction store) in D2 today, there's no upper bound to the amount I might have to spend to get all of the pieces. I might never get them. This preys on kids and reckless spenders (and let's be honest: stupid people), and conveniently skirts the definition of gambling enough to not land the interested parties in any hot water. The weekly rotating items in D2 and my own self-control mitigate the impact this design has on me as a player, but I still see this as a big problem in gaming today that's already lingered around for long enough that it's become entrenched in the culture. The solution I'd like to see is an independent body that certifies the algorithms used in these games anywhere real money is involved, but that's unlikely to happen any time soon for a multitude of reasons.

Years ago now there were a number of high-profile stories about people's kids getting hold of their iPhone and spending stupid amounts of money on in-app purchases. There was enough of an uproar that Apple responded by making those kind of "hidden charges" a lot more transparent, as well as providing better safety options for parents who let their kids mess around on their phones unsupervised. I think for things to change for console gaming, there's going to have to be a few shitstorms of similar magnitude- enough negative press that these companies are forced to change. Trouble is, there are a lot more mobile phone users out there than console gamers, and half the people I know who do game on consoles, far from opposing it, willingly buy into this model. They're (mostly) adults and are free to spend their money any way they see fit, but it only cements the presence of loot boxes in future games. It's difficult to argue against without coming across as some whiny, authoritarian tight-arse, but ultimately everyone who plays a game with microtransactions is affected by them, whether they participate or not.

12 Oct 2017 08:19 pm

Yeah I agree that overwatch did it right.

But for the companies that did it wrong, we should just boycott buying them and warn others. This way when they lose money, and you hit them where it hurts (the pocket) they will get the message.

I think having a watchdog group isn't necessary. Just use social media to shame the crap out of the leaders of the game development for not being transparent themselves. If it fucks with the balance of a game, then it is a form of cheating for lazy players, and a form of gambling if the item isn't 100% certain to be the one you wanted. If the advantages are just cosmetic things, then people are ok with that.

But for games that you play competitively against others and/or which are poorly gameplay-balanced due to rich guys able to hand poor guys their asses for having more money to spend, it destroys the quality of the experience. In the past you had cheat codes and the new thing is paying for cheat codes lol.
For games you already bought at the retailer, this is stupid For Free To Play games I think this is tolerable because you are getting something free. (the game)

Also if a game is a single player game it isn't as bad as if it is multi. But then when you put loot boxes in single player, they still have the power to make your grind very unbearable as a mechanism to pressure you to just buy the lootboxes to end the torture of doing reptitious activity. If you are used to playing triple A titles which were carefully balanced in the past, then this can only be a downgrade to previous game experiences, since the pace of the game has changed for the sake of greedy business man not because of the artistic vision of the guy making the game who is only trying to make fun games.

In the case of Shadow of War, you dont want them to get their foot in the door. They are pushy salesmen and you need to push the door closed so the future games don't have poor balance. Fans of good games need to be aware that when the business portion of the game overtakes the fun portion, it becomes less entertainment now and more about catering to who pays the most money and there is no competitive reason to play anymore in the minds of those who have a sense of honor and want to stick to a code.

13 Oct 2017 11:44 am
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Gamertag: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: m00nwalker
now this looks fun. :lol:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446776

Quote:
For context, you can buy loot boxes with silver coins which can be set to unlimited with cheats. I guess with this you don't have to worry about having to grind to get the true ending anymore. Does this mean that loot boxes on single player games are basically useless on PC?

13 Oct 2017 12:56 pm
Profile WWW

I don't blame them for using cheats to fight cheats.

I knew when single player games were dying off, it was because multiplayer games force players to constantly "phone home" and this allows the company to keep tabs on the user and spy on them to see what they are doing with the game they bought. This is the reason I was against MS "always online" gaming idea. Fuck that. Single player games to me happen to be more honest.

Bought Agents of Mayhem for that reason! :P

Yes it is an average scoring title, but it's focused on you and I am a lone wolf when I play online most of the time anyway. I'm wolverine from the x-men. I don't take orders from cyclops. I go my own way and if you want to help me that is cool but don't think that means I NEED you and expect me to do you a favour. You wanted to be there, took responsibility for your decisions and mistakes, and if you fuck up, then you learn from the experience to become stronger, not make excuses about why I didn't assist you when you wanted to leech shit. When people get hard enough to survive alone they hone vital skills needed in a worst-case scenario of everyone suddenly having to leave. That's the way all games should be structured: you can still solo stuff with grit and determination. Not these sissy pay-to-win games aimed at 5-year old kids where you add money to make the game easy. lol Fuck sissies like Jim Sterling. They pretend to be pro-consumer but then expect people to just buy games regardless of whether they have depth and fair balance. (old school megaman games were beloved for a reason: they were games with tight controls and forced you to study a game before acting and not enough games today reward intelligence imo. Often games like Dark Sols are always mentioned when people refer to hardcore gaming but before them were arcade games that forced you to pay for mistakes to get good and usually arcade games never had any cheats to train on bosses like today with emulators)

Will be buying Dragons Dogma after this to show support for the single player experience. I want a sequel capcom.

13 Oct 2017 03:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]