PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Re: Somethings going on at gaf

Post by lestat »

I came across this today.
Once upon a time the leftwing of the political spectrum was committed to the advancement of the working class and its protection from political and economic abuse by the owners of the means of production.
The American leftwing has been transmogrified. The left, which formerly stood for “peace and bread,” today stands for Identity Politics and war. The working class has been redefined as “the Trump deplorables” and splintered into separate “victim groups”—women, racial minorities, homosexuals, transgendered. The oppressors are no longer oligarchs who own the means of production. The oppressor is the sexist, misogynist, homophobic, heterosexual, fascist, white supremacist male working class.
Accurate description of what's going on in the world.

I'm sure there are many that were traditionally left leaning being pushed into the right because of this. Neogaf is the perfect example of this.
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

lestat wrote:I came across this today.
Once upon a time the leftwing of the political spectrum was committed to the advancement of the working class and its protection from political and economic abuse by the owners of the means of production.
The American leftwing has been transmogrified. The left, which formerly stood for “peace and bread,” today stands for Identity Politics and war. The working class has been redefined as “the Trump deplorables” and splintered into separate “victim groups”—women, racial minorities, homosexuals, transgendered. The oppressors are no longer oligarchs who own the means of production. The oppressor is the sexist, misogynist, homophobic, heterosexual, fascist, white supremacist male working class.
Accurate description of what's going on in the world.

I'm sure there are many that were traditionally left leaning being pushed into the right because of this. Neogaf is the perfect example of this.
This actually resonates with me quite a lot.

I think this new wave of 'social justice' is causing individuals who normally associate themselves with certain left of centre political positions like collective bargaining and market regulation etc. to have a sort of political identity crisis where they don't really know where they stand in the spectrum anymore.

This whole 'rape culture' narrative the SJW's seem to be applying to any act they feel might, even in the most remote of chances, lead into a sexual situation where there is no affirmative consent really is just torturing the English language to suit their agenda.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:That’s never happened to me and I doubt it’s happened to those saying ‘rape culture’ is an exaggeration.
Bzzzt. One girl has come up and told me all the things she wanted me to do to her, I had never met her before in my life. Another girl has walked up to me and straight up asked for a kiss, no hello or anything, also despite never meeting me before either. I've been at the centre of a sexual harassment case at work recently in which I was the one apparently being sexually harassed - the two other women with her at the time were so offended by what she asked me that they complained even though I didn't care. I know it's different in these cases because I wasn't physically intimidated by these women in the same way they may have been if the roles were reversed. But it does happen the other way around and I too think rape culture is exaggerated.

You can argue we're just tied up on semantics but it's clearly grinding people's gears. Not just a few either. When someone says 'gang culture' we know they're talking about people in gangs, 'Indian culture' is related to Indian people, but 'rape culture' is aimed at all men. It's the context of the word. People who fire off that word generally aim it at all men too.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I've had experiences like Madmya with women I wouldn't know from a bar of soap. Apparently rape culture only goes in one direction because of the physical advantage males have?
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Yeah I'd say so. Men are far more likely to rape, but I've also got a story which I'd swear if the roles were reversed some chicks would scream rape too.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

The stuff I’m talking about is nasty, sexually violent stuff said for a reaction. Being asked for a kiss while probably inappropriate is not intended to degrade or intimidate.

But what are we arguing? Are you guys describing this as a fringe issue and ‘not all men’ saying everything is a-ok and there’s no work to be done to improve men’s attitudes to women? I doubt that.
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

We’re arguing rape is rape and anything else that isn’t rape is not rape.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

But Rape Culture isn’t just about rape. Have a read about it. You may well still disagree but at least you’d understand the context.
PhoneMonkey

Somethings going on at gaf

Post by PhoneMonkey »

If it’s not just about rape why use the word rape?
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Because the cultural theory is that if you reduce the acceptance of all types of sexual violence in society then the prevalence of rape will similarly be diminished.
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

Some females are sluts. It's true, they do exist. They are in the minority so what we have here is a Slut Culture. We live in a Slut Culture. I can't imagine any woman objecting to that terminology.
Candy Arse wrote:
Lepo the Legend gave me his pair for free.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Germany has a rape culture....it never used to but it does now, as does Sweden. There is most likely a rape culture in North Africa and the Middle East. In regions of war and poverty, rape culture increases. Rape culture does exist, but not in western society. Rapists in western society are not applauded, they aren't encouraged to act that way and are generally incarcerated for their behaviour.

If you go back 40- 50 years, you could say that gay culture was regarded as something to be stamped out. If we're determined to call rapists in Western society to be in deemed a subculture called Rape Culture, you may find it will eventually find protection simply for being defined as a culture. You can't demand one culture be protected and others be demonised. Either we agree that rapists are a culture and work to protect their own form of multiculturalism or we just call rapists - rapists.
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Lepo5 wrote:Some females are sluts. It's true, they do exist. They are in the minority so what we have here is a Slut Culture. We live in a Slut Culture. I can't imagine any woman objecting to that terminology.
That's already called raunch culture.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

It's a dumb term. It implies something that isn't true and because of that it is divisive which doesn't help anyone. It's intentionally divisive. But apparently me saying this is enforcing rape culture, that's how good social justice warriors are at what they do.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

If you want to follow SJW logic, you fall into line with what Cletus said, if we recognise this as a culture than we should embrace it into our collective own, otherwise we're just bigots.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

You'll already find people exploiting SJW logic to protect paedophiles.
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

Hercy wrote:
Lepo5 wrote:Some females are sluts. It's true, they do exist. They are in the minority so what we have here is a Slut Culture. We live in a Slut Culture. I can't imagine any woman objecting to that terminology.
That's already called raunch culture.
...but you see "raunch" is nowhere near offensive enough, it might also be perceived as cool. No, we live in a SLUT Culture.
Candy Arse wrote:
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

Hercy wrote:Because the cultural theory is that if you reduce the acceptance of all types of sexual violence in society then the prevalence of rape will similarly be diminished.
But by reducing the tolerance or acceptance of a type of an act doesn't change the meaning of another act or word. There is a reason that there is a meaning for the word 'rape', just like there is a reason for the meaning of the word 'misogyny' or 'sexism'. Just because there is a change in the reported number of acts that are associated with a lead up to rape, doesn't make these acts rape, or justify calling unrelated sexual advances or non-rape acts rape. Nor does it justify encapsulating them in a phrase with the word rape.

I think by applying this label to all unwanted or uninitiated acts that are sexual in nature that aren't rape, the patrons of this phrase are actually doing a huge disservice to actual victims of this horrendous crime.
jizzlobber
unregistered
unregistered
XBL ID: sproglobber
PSN ID: lol... fuck PSN!

Post by jizzlobber »

stop being logical, it's making you look like an arsehole.
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

Imagine posting that to NeoGAF OT pre- meltdown? I’d be doxed in a second for stepping outside of the hive mind.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Madmya wrote:You'll already find people exploiting SJW logic to protect paedophiles.
And yes a thread happened on it on Neogaf. And yes in that thread if you didn't follow their group think....banned

Also on SJW logic....Rape Culture, they will only point it out where white man is prominent. They will never point it out that there is a rape culture in islam or involving coloured people or immigrants.

You only have to look at how quite they are over the gromming and raping of 100s of young English girls by Middle Eastern men in several English towns.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

You poor, mopey, oppressed bastards. Here’s a decent column giving some insight and context to rape culture and its history, a history that dates back to the early 70s btw. It’s not something that cropped up around the time you all started using SJW as a pejorative.

https://theconversation.com/amp/what-ra ... nity-85513" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

I find your comment offensive, you are now a rapist.
Candy Arse wrote:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Pep, that article will do absolutely nothing to change anyone's mind. In fact, I'm pretty sure it'll only serve to reinforce their stance. It even quoted Jess Valenti, her second appearance in this thread!
Peppermint Lounge
The End

I said it would provide context, not change minds. And the Jess Valenti image you've posted a few times now. The articles are written over a year apart. While the headlines (which are usually written by editors, not the person who wrote the column) are seemingly contradictory both articles relate to feminism and culture in a consistent way. You guys and your narratives.