XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Re: I believe the next videogame crash is coming

Post by lestat »

Sorry wikipedia > Ars fanboy american perspective piece.

Most of us here are older than you Rocco and don't need fucking Ars to tell us what happened.

I remember Nintendo promoting the NES here in shopping centers, I saw super mario bros for the first time. The big crowd draw back then was duck hunt, light gun games were a big wow moment.

I remember playing nintendo games on atari 2600, the original mario games, I had many game n watches growing up, donkey kong jr was a my favorite, I remember the glorius moment when I clocked that mother. You didn't finish games, you clocked them, basically getting a score that hit 9999 and forced the counter to return back to zero.

Can you say you experienced any of that Rocco?
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Lestat speaks the truth. I grew up in the same generation, my only regret is that I didn't ever get a C64 or Amiga at its peak, simply too expensive.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Post by Jasper »

You people are talking about fucking Australia (our relevancy in the global videogame market back in the 80's was A BIT FAT FUCKING NOTHING!!!) :roll:

I'm talking about shit that actually matters!!! - and that would be North America who back in the 80's dominated (and still do - but now at a lesser extent) the videogame market in every single aspect. It was in 1985 when Nintendo saved the videogame industry with the release of the NES in North Amerca! :up:

Gaming Industry In The 80s - The Great Video Game Crash Of 1983 And The Revival In 1985

The decade of 1980 was full of great highs and deep lows for the gaming industry. In the USA alone, the arcade video game industry had generated annual revenue of $5 billion in 1981. Reaching its peak in the year 1982, the arcade video industry earned a whopping $8 billion that surpassed the annual gross revenue of both Hollywood films and pop music.

The decade began with the release of the most successful video game of the era – Pac-Man. First released in Japan in May 1980, the game went on to become one of the highest-grossing video games of all times. Pac-Man Fever gripped the gamers, and the golden era of the gaming was at its best till 1983. Pac-Man is still seen as a legend among the video gamers enjoying its popularity in the form of the mobile game, on t-shirts, on backpack etc.

While 1981 saw the release of one of the best ever video game created, 1982 experienced something completely opposite to it. Based on the movie The Extra-Terrestrial (E.T), Atari 2600 released one of the worst games of its time E.T. It is said that the game was so bad that millions of unsold cartridges were crushed and buried in the landfill in New Mexico. Terming E.T as the biggest commercial failure of the video game industry, many term it as the contributing factor to the great crash of video game industry in 1983.

The thriving industry was brought to its knees by the end of 1983. This recession in the gaming industry between 1983 to 1985 was huge with market revenue crashing down to $100 million, a staggering 97 percent fall. Many home console and video gaming console companies became bankrupt. The reason for this crash is said to be due to the over flooding of the market with low or poor quality games, the non-success of titles by Atari 2600 (namely E.T) and the emergence of home computers that provided new and advanced gaming platform. The gaming consoles that were competing against each other in 1983 were Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Colecovision, Intellivision, Coleco Gemini, Vectrex, Magnavox Odyssey II, Fairchild Channel F System and Emerson Arcadia 2001 to name few thus flooding the market with console options that was way too much than the demand.

Finally, the year 1985 came and we saw the much-needed renaissance in the video gaming industry. The dust of its first financial wobble was shaken off with unusual and suppressing video games being developed by programmers all over the world. The year saw the release of 2 video games that is still enjoyed and has the largest fan following – Super Mario and Tetris. Till date, Mario Franchise has sold over 210 million units since the time of its debut.

Also, in 1985, Nintendo Entertainment System decided to build their own path and go on their own way. They released a new console redesigned for a new territory, re-branded their strategy to convince the gamers that NES were nothing like the old video game consoles. NES introduced licensing terms for third party developers prohibiting them from selling their game to other console than NES.

This move of NES worked thus finally ending the downfall of the gaming industry and reignited the video game market.

The other launches by NES that deserves a mention are Duck Hunt, ExciteBike, Baseball and Kung Fu. When it comes to arcade video games, a total of 5 good games were launched in the year 1985; Hang On, Ghosts n Goblins, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Arkanoid, and the 4th but the best arcade game of the year was Gauntlet.

Stepping into the year 1986, the year turned out to be a year of foundation for today’s many giant companies in the field of gaming and computers. While Steve Jobs and Beny Alagem were busy forming Pixar and Packard Bell Computers, gaming companies like Bethesda Softworks, Ubisoft, Codemaster and many more were being founded that revolutionized the future of gaming.

The late 1980s saw the debut of third generation console where various high-profile franchises played important role in it. Naming few are The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Quest, Phantasy Star, Final Fantasy, and Square. 1987 saw the birth of the stealth genre with Hideo Kojima’s Metal Gear series’ first game, on the MSX2 computer. In 1989, Capcom released Sweet Home on the NES, which served as a precursor to the survival horror genre.

Thus coming to the year 1989 the disk based computer games market was less than $300 million, while the market size of cartridge based console games grew to more than $2 billion resulting in larger gaming companies like Epyx, Electronic Arts, and LucasArts, who began to invest more time and attention into console based games. By the year 1990, Nintendo responded with its own next generation system named the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).

https://www.acyentertainment.com/blog/g ... ival-1985/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

lestat wrote:Sorry wikipedia > Ars fanboy american perspective piece.

Most of us here are older than you Rocco and don't need fucking Ars to tell us what happened.

I remember Nintendo promoting the NES here in shopping centers, I saw super mario bros for the first time. The big crowd draw back then was duck hunt, light gun games were a big wow moment.

I remember playing nintendo games on atari 2600, the original mario games, I had many game n watches growing up, donkey kong jr was a my favorite, I remember the glorius moment when I clocked that mother. You didn't finish games, you clocked them, basically getting a score that hit 9999 and forced the counter to return back to zero.

Can you say you experienced any of that Rocco?
DK Jr was my favorite too, was one of the few games I owned. DK Jr Panorama Screen was even better but I couldn't afford that as a 11yo.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

You people are talking about fucking Australia (our relevancy in the global videogame market back in the 80's was A BIT FAT FUCKING NOTHING!!!) :roll:

I'm talking about shit that actually matters!!! - and that would be North America who back in the 80's dominated (and still do - but now at a lesser extent) the videogame market in every single aspect. It was in 1985 when Nintendo saved the videogame industry with the release of the NES in North Amerca!
Actually Australia was a great market, because we got access to trends from Europe, Japan and the US.

Which again highlights what I was saying, the crash is north american centric and basically just Atari who fucked up. The rest of the world was growing and producing video games and hardware. There was still strong demand by consumers, Nintendo didn't save anything, they capitalized on Atari's mistakes.

This also allowed SEGA to enter the home space with the Sega Master System at the time, which had more success in european markets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_System" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Contrary to its performance in Japan and North America, the Master System was eventually a success in Europe, where it outsold the NES by a considerable margin.
OMG Sega saved the video game industry. :rolleyes:

Simply put, after Atari croaked it left a big opening for several companies around the world to fill, Commodore, Nintendo, Sega stepped up.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

You keep bringing up different markets like Australia and Europe whilst minimising the significance of the mammoth North American market (which in the 80's was the most powerful and important market of any). It was North America where most gaming systems were being built, most games were being developed, and most people were purchasing gaming systems & games.

Also who gives a fuck about Sega? :?

The Master System globally sold barely 13 MILLION units compared to the NES which globally sold 62 MILLION units. 8)
Last edited by Jasper on 02 Nov 2017 04:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

No but the follow up Sega Genesis ate into Nintendo's market share in the US. Selling double. SNES on the other hand sold less than NES.

Then the "savior" got destroyed by Sony in the 32bit era with playstation.

Actually part of the Atari collapse meant that many US game companies got destroyed in the process, it was the Japanese and European companies that used the opportunity to grow.
Last edited by lestat on 02 Nov 2017 04:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

And then Nintendo got it's revenge and annihilated the PS3 with the Nintendo Wii (which went on to sell OVER 15 MILLION MORE UNITS than PS3). :D
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Took them several goes and they fell flat on their faces with WiiU.

Nintendo have never achieved the success the PS2 did.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Regarding your comments about Mega Drive (aka Genesis)... Mega Drive/Genesis sold a total of 29 MILLION units, whilst SNES sold 50 MILLION units. 8)

As for PS2 (which Sony sold AT A LOSS)...you do understand it's only outsold the Nintendo DS by a couple hundred thousand units? The difference in total units sold between the PS2 & DS is less than one million units! :wink:

Furthermore, you're also completely ignoring the fact that Nintendo has made BILLIONS OF DOLLARS in profit from software sales - something Sony could only ever dream of! :P
Last edited by Jasper on 02 Nov 2017 04:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Nice edit there, just before I replied.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Yep SNES went backwards, major fail.

Handhelds have no competition, this is why Nintendo keep doing crappy hybrids now.

I guess Apple is a savoir too, they've sold over a billion of IOS devices.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

iPhone 6 sold over 220 million units. Lol Nintendo
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Jasper wrote:You keep bringing up different markets like Australia and Europe whilst minimising the significance of the mammoth North American market (which in the 80's was the most powerful and important market of any). It was North America where most gaming systems were being built, most games were being developed, and most people were purchasing gaming systems & games.
Aren't you the idiot bringing up how well the Switch is doing in Japan, speaking of irrelevant markets?

https://en.rocketnews24.com/2017/09/21/ ... years-ago/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

:lol:
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Lestat is correct that in australia the nintendo brand wasn't as big as the sega brand. And computers were taking over because people wanted to use them as eductaional tools (the parents) and also for games. But the big difference between the computing guys and console guys is that the console guys got quality tested titles and a lot of the computing guys got shovelware and pirated crap clogging up the library.

The reason Atari fucked up was due to the idea that profit comes before the quality of the final product. What nintendo could do is bring some confidence in the gaming in general. Regardless of the territory there is shit games and good games. What you needed to do to build the industry back up was bring back people's confidence so that you didn't have buggy games, badly designed games, and boring games. You wanted to make sure they actually paid for things rather than pirated it like you saw with the amiga 500 and commodore 64.

Most japanese companies build the game so it is fair and balance-tested. In US it is perfectly ok to release a unfinished game and then later patch it. This is the atari way of thinking. Nintendo set the standard for how to do it right so that customers were not SCARED to buy a game and could feel like the game they bought wasn't just put together in a hurry to make deadlines and this is how they influenced gaming by not making buyers always assume a game must have bugs and feel rushed to market but that if they buy the game they can easily sell it and it retains high value due to being good and not shovelware. The consistency with which you do quality builds a brand up, then people get confident in the brand, and then you get repeat buyers. Confidence. You didn't get this with computers because any guy can just make game and if it was crap you didn't feel like you had any attachment to the company behind it because quality could be inconsistent. Sort of like if you go to the fruit market and you are not garuanteed that you will find fresh apples and 50% of the apples might be rotten ones. You wouldn't be confident going to the market if you had a chance of not getting something of quality.
Nintendo took advantage of this weakness of the lazy greedy american coder and fixed the fucking problem at the root. If you want to make money in the game industry that is fine. But if you create unfun games, you slowly erode confidence in buyers and they eventually leave just like fashions die off. This allows new games to stick out so that people who buy them feel like they are getting original content and unfortunately big publishers are stuck doing the same thing because if they didn't they might not be able to be in busines. But at the same time, reviewers get more jaded the less you try to break new ground. As buyers keep rebuying the same game, the incentive to be creative goes away and this is why peple quit because at some point they realise they could just be happy working on the thing they want to work on and not what the publisher says they are allowed to work on. But what you get is lower budget games. Problem is we are so drawn into marketing hype that I think it is too late to warn kids not to buy into the hype and to discourage videogame companies to rely on marketing more than the merits of the gameplay itself.

And that's the lesson of the past that needs to be carried today. IE make money but not at the expense of quality. Or else people will get tired and lose confidence.

Anyway loot boxes are going to kill the industry.

Sony is starting to turn into EA now:
Good news in the indie/small devs scene though:
If capcom dies or is bought by EA so they can kill it by doing nothing with the IPs, then you can at least rely on these guys to keep the Monster Hunter franchise alive under the Dauntless name. :P

The bigger the companies get, the greedier they get. The greedier they get, the less consumer friendly they have to be to survive since nobody is large enough to take them on. So it is up to you the consumer to make wise decision where you spend your money or you will kill the industry and the creative people who don't just want to make the same thing over and over again with bad anti-consumer practices placed inside the games.
You want the Warframe and Path of Exhile guys to suceed, not the people at the top who probably hate games and just came into the industry to see how they can limit how much fun you get to have per second in order to make the most profits, regardless of how it affects feel of playing the game.. At the user end you should only care how good the fun of a game is not how many mansions the greedy guy at the top can own at once while poeple are starving in africa and dying of curable diseases.
Last edited by GameHED on 02 Nov 2017 05:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Bububu <japaneseliningupinthestreets.jpg>
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Candy Arse wrote:Aren't you the idiot bringing up how well the Switch is doing in Japan, speaking of irrelevant markets?

https://en.rocketnews24.com/2017/09/21/ ... years-ago/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No dumbshit, because though console gaming has shrunk...handheld gaming is still wildly popular! :)

Now Nintendo's created the perfect hybrid system merging both console/handheld gaming together...and are on track to dominate Japan akin to the Famicom era! :up:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Jasper wrote:
Candy Arse wrote:Aren't you the idiot bringing up how well the Switch is doing in Japan, speaking of irrelevant markets?

No dumbshit, because though console gaming has shrunk...handheld gaming is still wildly popular! :)

Now Nintendo's created the perfect hybrid system merging both console/handheld gaming together...and are on track to dominate Japan akin to the Famicom era! :up:
It can't dominate Japan like the Famicom.

The Famicom was a home console.

You're referring to the Switch as a handheld unit. Hell, you even said yourself you play it as a handheld unit.

Sooooo...what's it gonna be? A successful console in a market that's 1/3 the size is was a decade ago, or a handheld which means your comparisons to its sales vs actual consoles are totally invalid?

:oops:
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

As a console, the Switch is being destroyed by PS4.

As a handheld, the Switch is being destroyed by iPhone.

Congrats on your successful gaming device, Jasper. Let me know when you're selling yours for $200 or less, I might buy it off you so you guys can make rent in Blacktown that week.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Switch doesn't have many games he can hock, he might be calling in that $200 offer soon Candy.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

Candy Arse wrote:As a console, the Switch is being destroyed by PS4.
Really? :redface:

The Nintendo Switch continues to month after month annihilate both the PS4 and XB1 in America (and for fuck's sake, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is STILL in the monthly top ten best selling game chart)... :shock:

Nintendo Switch outsells Sony and Microsoft heading into the holiday season

OCTOBER 19, 2017 7:03 AM

Nintendo’s Switch has claimed another month. The home console/portable hybrid was the top-selling system in September in the U.S., according to the industry-tracking firm The NPD Group.

But it wasn’t the only successful Nintendo product of the month. The SNES Classic Edition launched in September. All Nintendo systems, which also includes the aging 3DS line, accounted for two-thirds of all gaming hardware sold during the month.

Nintendo software has also been performing well. The strategy game Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, which launched in late August, was the No. 7 best-selling game of September in the U.S., according to The NPD Group. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which launched with the system in March, took the No. 10 spot. The racer Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was at No. 11.

3DS software also charted for Nintendo. Metroid: Samus Returns debuted at No . 8. This is the first traditional Metroid game from Nintendo since Metroid: Other M came out for the Wii in 2010.

As for Japan... :wink:

In Japan, The Nintendo Switch Sold More In Its First 6 Months Than The PS4 Did

SEP 4, 2017 @ 12:00 PM

What with the news that the Nintendo Switch has sold over 1.5 million units in Japan since its release in March, the way in which it is selling will likely mean it will end up as the next major console in the region.

In an interesting breakdown from Tokyosaurus, it collates sales data from the respective Japanese launches of the Switch and PS4. While both had a strong launch, the following weeks show that the PS4 dropped off substantially, whereas the Switch sold in greater numbers and with more consistency.

The sales data itself covers the first 26 weeks of each console’s lifespan and is going the rounds on places like 2ch in Japan, although the data itself originates from Media Create. In short, during the first 26 weeks on sale, the PS4 managed to sell 665,760 units, whereas the Switch sold 1,527,962 units.

To add insult to injury, it took the PS4 a total of 69 weeks for it to sell 1,523,471 units in Japan. So whichever way you look at it, the Switch is doing incredibly well here.

Bear in mind that even with the Switch's supply chain problems and general lack of availability, it still managed to consistently outsell the PS4 in Japan.

In short, the install base for any given console really matters and is very region specific. What makes Japan different in this case is that it is still a gaming superpower in regards to gaming output. Sony cannot afford to lose this fight, as that would mean fewer games on its own platforms and more games for Nintendo. If this happens, then it would have dire global ramifications for the PS4.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Japan is a dead market, not sure why you're using that as a beacon of hope.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Sony needs to merge with MS if they want to last. I'm not going to buy two consoles that do the exact same fucking thing LOL Crash Bandicoot is not enough to beat Mario Odyssey. Mario is more iconic than all the Disney characters. The wogs are winning the console race for popularity like trump winning the election. The anti nintendo crowd must accept when you can't make as good platform games and just humbly admit it. Nintendo should have been dead way back in the DS days when you laughed at them for putting a touchscreen on their handhelds.

They survived because you can't get as good games on the mobile phones which makes them happy. You wouldn't have analogue sticks to move in 3D third person action games if it weren't for the big N.

Without Skyward Sword, waggle would have died off as a mere fad. You must bow to them. Sega is dead. All that is left is nintendo. MS and Sony are not pure game companies. They just want to offer services from the box and focus on tv. Boring. Sony even has a channel on the dashboard called the Playroom which is named after the room in one of christian grey's mansion from 50 shades of grey. They are not a family friendly company so your kids get their fun from nintendo not sony. MS audience is hardcore gamers who listen to heavy metal and punk rock so it is scary for little girls. The nintendo brand on the other hand is appealing to wide audience. It's not a kids brand but a pure game brand. That makes it cooler. Sega wa their only true competition don't you see? Because they were a pure game brand too. But since they ran out of money they wiklkl never be as good as the Dreamcast era sega. Without profit, you are doomed to die off. If MS and Sony just merge al the online crap into one subscription service we could save so much money. Go the 3DO route already. All the games on those two platforms are identical. I would rather have one high end console by Sony-MS than two average spc machines that do the exact same things. LOL Then you might be able to kill nintendo but I doubt it.
Last edited by GameHED on 02 Nov 2017 06:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W

Post by Jasper »

GameHED wrote:Sony needs to merge with MS if they want to last.

GameHED wrote:I'm not going to buy two consoles that do the exact same fucking thing LOL.

GameHED wrote:Mario is more iconic than all the Disney characters.

GameHED wrote:You wouldn't have analogue sticks to move in 3D third person action games if it weren't for the big N.

GameHED spitting out multiple truth bombs as always! :P