I believe the next videogame crash is coming

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Re: I believe the next videogame crash is coming

Post by GameHED »

Also MS by themselves = no japanese games.

If Sony and MS just went the 3DO route MS wouldn't have to worry about not getting any JRPG titles on the Xbox. Consumers wouldn't have to buy 2 online subs to meet all their friends in online games. And PC gamers wouldn't have to wait so long for GTA ports to PC because the console editions of games were on one system. (the XboxStation and not on two different systems which wastes time resources)

Wouldn't it be good if Sony tards could play Xbox exclusives on thier console and Xbots could play sony exclusives on the xbox? Think, you dumb shit. How sick of buying two different arcade sticks for each platform whenever there is a new fighting game made on the new console? It owuld save so much money if you only had to buy one arcade fighting stick. Do it already. Stop dicking around or you'll see people just play mobile gmes in favour of proper games on home consoles.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Jasper wrote:
GameHED wrote:You wouldn't have analogue sticks to move in 3D third person action games if it weren't for the big N.
GameHED spitting out multiple truth bombs as always! :P
Not really. Apple IIe had an analog stick in the mid 80s.

Nintendo steals ideas, like manufacturing playing cards, or Skylander characters for dlc, Playstation Plus etc etc etc.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Yeah but is apple a pure games company and have the street cred that nintendo has built up over so many decades? Apple is the nerdy guy who thinks he is cool by appearing creative but nobody respects because they do amazing games. Nintendo gets 10s from edge and everyone bloody copies them. Sorry but no.. Just no. Apple logo is also evil btw.
Nintendo have fucking theme parks! And nintendo has been inclusive since the 80s before it was cool by making their mascot a wog. They don't virtue signal like these other guys and care about minorities by making them the main hero long before these SJWs came along. Another thing is how they show how midgets can be acrobatic people too. You don't need to be tall to be the best jumper. Playing Mario brings hope to tubby and fat hobbit sized short guys. Why isn't Nathan Drake a short fat guy? Because Sony hates normal people with weaknesses and flaws and this makes sony less interesting. They just cloned tomb Raider and put a man in it and think they are cooler than nintendo. No way. Nintendo is who everyone wishes they could be and they get angry at them out of jealousy. You can sense it everywhere you go. And it is time you guys got over this issue you have where a sucessful company is seen as a threat rather than inspiration to you. You want street cred then make a better zelda metroid and mario that kids want to buy. Remember when Sega in the 16-bit age took on mario with Sonic? And they ate half of the marketshare? Where is the Mario killer from Sony? They lost their balls.

I guess vzzbx and tomby are going to send a lynch mob after me because I insulted Apple and Sony too much in defense of nintendo... Whatever retards.. They are all evil coporations that will enslave us in the future so there is no reason to get butthurt because you like their stuff. Sony machines can launch missiles and nuke countries can't they? Nintendo's are only for entertainment.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Jasper wrote:
Candy Arse wrote:As a console, the Switch is being destroyed by PS4.
Really? :redface:

The Nintendo Switch continues to month after month annihilate both the PS4 and XB1 in America (and for fuck's sake, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is STILL in the monthly top ten best selling game chart)... :shock:

Nintendo Switch outsells Sony and Microsoft heading into the holiday season

OCTOBER 19, 2017 7:03 AM

Nintendo’s Switch has claimed another month. The home console/portable hybrid was the top-selling system in September in the U.S., according to the industry-tracking firm The NPD Group.

But it wasn’t the only successful Nintendo product of the month. The SNES Classic Edition launched in September. All Nintendo systems, which also includes the aging 3DS line, accounted for two-thirds of all gaming hardware sold during the month.

Nintendo software has also been performing well. The strategy game Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, which launched in late August, was the No. 7 best-selling game of September in the U.S., according to The NPD Group. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which launched with the system in March, took the No. 10 spot. The racer Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was at No. 11.

3DS software also charted for Nintendo. Metroid: Samus Returns debuted at No . 8. This is the first traditional Metroid game from Nintendo since Metroid: Other M came out for the Wii in 2010.

As for Japan... :wink:

In Japan, The Nintendo Switch Sold More In Its First 6 Months Than The PS4 Did

SEP 4, 2017 @ 12:00 PM

What with the news that the Nintendo Switch has sold over 1.5 million units in Japan since its release in March, the way in which it is selling will likely mean it will end up as the next major console in the region.

In an interesting breakdown from Tokyosaurus, it collates sales data from the respective Japanese launches of the Switch and PS4. While both had a strong launch, the following weeks show that the PS4 dropped off substantially, whereas the Switch sold in greater numbers and with more consistency.

The sales data itself covers the first 26 weeks of each console’s lifespan and is going the rounds on places like 2ch in Japan, although the data itself originates from Media Create. In short, during the first 26 weeks on sale, the PS4 managed to sell 665,760 units, whereas the Switch sold 1,527,962 units.

To add insult to injury, it took the PS4 a total of 69 weeks for it to sell 1,523,471 units in Japan. So whichever way you look at it, the Switch is doing incredibly well here.

Bear in mind that even with the Switch's supply chain problems and general lack of availability, it still managed to consistently outsell the PS4 in Japan.

In short, the install base for any given console really matters and is very region specific. What makes Japan different in this case is that it is still a gaming superpower in regards to gaming output. Sony cannot afford to lose this fight, as that would mean fewer games on its own platforms and more games for Nintendo. If this happens, then it would have dire global ramifications for the PS4.
PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 62,930,402

Xbox One Total Sales: 30,894,186

Switch Total Sales: 6,078,757

Yep, I would class that as destroyed.

Wait!!!!!!!! Switch is a handheld, right?

iPhone - over 1 billion
Switch - 6,078,757

:oops:
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Post by Jasper »

Actually 7.63 MILLION Nintendo Switch units have been sold since launch about 7 months ago (and that's even with the Switch being globally supply-constrained). :D

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarde ... worldwide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 62,930,402

Xbox One Total Sales: 30,894,186

Switch Total Sales: 7,630,000

iPhone - over 1 billion
Switch - 7,630,000

Closing the gap! :lol:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

The people that bought xb and ps systems had to upgrade mid gen (doubling the sales) and the switch only just came out so it's an unfair comparison. You got to look at switch as the Vita replacement because Vita died when sony stopped supporting it. Switch is fiulling the vacuum for those who want handheld with last gen home console games ported to it so they can play on the go and not home console. Yes it is a hybrid but most see this as a Wii U tablet that you don't have to keep in your house to play games on which explains all the wii u titles like lego city, mario kart 8 and Zelda going to it.

That's the amazing part of it: it brought back interest in handheld scene again. It may not fit in your pocket but I think people are comfortable carrying around a big thing in a bag. Loads of people want to play older games from last gen on the small screen now that the screen res is decent enough to make it easy to see in the distance.
Much like 3DS the sales will do good over the long run I reckon.

Don't ever compare mobile to dedicated gaming devices you clueless fuck. Show me the best games on mobile vs the best games on dedicated machines. You know mobile gamers are not hardcore gamers. It's why you won't see nintendo's best games on the portable but they will cash in on the platform given the userbase. It doesn't mean they will stp making the triple A (AKA as REAL) games on their dedicated game machines. I haven't played a single mobile game over a dedicated game machine game. Because vast majority of mobile games are trash. We have to stop including non-gamers as gamers like feminiinists seem to like doing. If a game is shit, and not a notable achievement then it's a non-gamer game and not a proper game. Mobile gamers like pc gamers are poor and won't buy proper games due to poverty reasons. Selling dozens of $1 games isn't as good as one game of $100 that is of quality. If mobile gamers were all to do die tomorrow, nobody would give a shit and the game industry would not notice a thing. lol
Last edited by GameHED on 02 Nov 2017 09:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Just crunched some numbers -

If the GLOBAL CONSOLE/HANDHELD (whatever suits my agenda) PHENOMENON NINTENDO SWITCH keeps selling at this rate, it'll catch up to the PS4 in 2022 provided the PS4 sells 0 units between now and then!

If the GLOBAL HANDHELD/CONSOLE (whatever suits my agenda) PHENOMENON NINTENDO SWITCH keeps selling at this rate, it'll catch up to the iPhone in 2093 provided the iPhone sells 0 units between now and then!

Whoa! Congrats Jasper! Go Nintendo! :lol:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Just say Hybrid FFS. It's both handheld and console. And the sales will grow as people have an excuse to double dip on older games from last gen on the small screen. Being able to play Skyrim on 30fps on small screen is appealing to me. Nintendo can mine all the old games for padding the library. You know how GTA3 never got ported to the PS Vita but was to the crap mobile platform? And how it pissed me off??? Well now rockstar has no excuwse to not give us ports of the old GTA games this time. Niintendo it's your time to get these on the nintendo platform. I want to be able to play GTA games on the small screen along with Dark souls trilogy. And I want these on cartridges with button controls. Do it! Easy money as all the content was done ages ago and it's just a matter of squeezing it to modern machines. The graphics of old games like GTA3 look butt ugly on a big screen tv in the living room. But on the small screen it looks ok because the details are squished down into small space so the ugly graphics of stuff like Morrowind and GTA 3 would suit the switch perfectly. Imagine all the first person view Fallout games on Switch? You get the idea..
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

t0mby wrote:
Jasper wrote:
GameHED wrote:You wouldn't have analogue sticks to move in 3D third person action games if it weren't for the big N.
GameHED spitting out multiple truth bombs as always! :P
Not really. Apple IIe had an analog stick in the mid 80s..
As did the Vectrex and the Atari 5200. Also, the Saturn's analogue pad was available before the N64 came out, so there's that too.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

But nobody made use of it until nintendo did it with mario 64 with its camera AI. Only competition was croc. Everyone copies nintendo when they make it fashionable. Because nintendo is the cool kid while all the others were not cool enough for others to copy due to lacking the style. If people follow your trend and fashion then it means people want to be like you. Sony didn't have the Dual shock thing until after nintend made analogue control cool. So there's that. If you can't make amazing games with the gimmicky control, it will end up like the powerglove. Forgotten and neglected with limited support rather than kept as a standard for all third person action games that we play today. :P

Rumble controls and and analogue sticks both popularised by Nintendo and made socially acceptable. Sega dreamcast had motion sensing shit back in the DC days but nobody cared because it lacked the nintendo magic. Without Skyward Sword people would not accept motion controls into triple A titles. It takes skill to make games that utilise motion sensing so it's not wasted. And other companies gave up too easily because they only follow trends but don't set them. ARMs is proof motion sensing is alive still despite people saying it was gimicky. People genuinely want to use their hands to do moves, but unless the game is fun, the gimmick isn't going to catch on. That was the problem with kinect. It didn't suit houses with limited space and MS wasted all that money despite rejecting the inventor of waggle's idea who went to nitnendo and let wii become a phenomenon.

MS killed Rare, and rejected waggle which could have made them popular. But it took a cool company like nintendo to make the gimmicks work. Now waggle is standard in all your controllers thanks to them.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Post by Jasper »

The editor of Kotaku just posted this tweet...

There's a huge discussion going on right now at ResetEra about the topic of a videogame crash coming (with most agreeing it's going to happen)... :shock:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/jason- ... able.3811/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I agree, but it's not going to be the doom & gloom that the 80's "crash" is portrayed as being. The only way that will happen if people actively stop buying the latest annual big-budget release of Call of the Assassin's Motorsport.
Indie games are where it's at right now; the vast majority of my Steam library that actually sees active playtime is indie games... but seeing how long it takes for an indie studio to develop a game from start to finish (take our own Assault Android Cactus for example), I can almost see justification for the 10-year console cycle idea that was set forth last gen.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Post 129 hits the nail on head:

Jason Schreier: The Video game industry is not sustainable

I would love to see higher-quality, lower budget stuff that relies more on a devoted fanbase than high budget casual-friendly expensive games that make money just by being safe game series which gets yearly roster updates but is stale at the core due to being so szmey as last title you bought.

Videogame industry is repeating the mistakes of the comic book industry in the 90s when comics became too expensive and had tried to hard to appeal to elite collectors who liked to buy stuff based on how glossy the cover was lol. Then normal people decided to say: 'fuck this shit, I'm getting a new hobby.' and moved to videogames. Now that videogames are becoming expensive with all the season pass crap and lootboxes, (to appeal to whales, the videogame equivalent to the comic book industry 'elite collectors') you will slowly see people move away from games and maybe into a new thing. Cheating in games encourages people to just avoid playing with others and defeats the point of competitive play. (unless it's free-to-play game which is focused on PvE. People are tolerant of paying customers being more powerful because they keep the game alive for the non-paying guys to demo the game to see if the core gameplay is something they like)

That reminds me:
Elex is out now. :up: Going to have to check this out soon.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I think this belongs in this thread:
Many people look to indie gaming as the safety net if all the triple A portion of gaming industry collapses but did you know that even indie company struggle to be seen now that steam is flooded with so many clones of shit games due to lack of qaulity checking mechanisms that filter out the junk?
The truth is, without word of mouth and quality assurance systems, you will just repeat what happened back in the atari days when ET had come out and killed interest in gaming.
Sure there wll always be hardcore buying titles but what happens when they grow old and die? What will replace these buyers of games? Mobile gamers? Ok. And what happens when quality is so low that even they stop caring about paying for games? You get industry colapse.

It's just slower and more gradual. You got to learn from history. Steam isn't immune to these things just because hardcore gamers exist. If they don't breed faster than the casuals and are not replacable, then you will at least see shrinknig of the industry due to companies
A) getting more fierce in competitiveness meaning even if the games are good people will still wait for them to go on discount bfore buying them due to so many good games coming out each year all at the same time (as you saw with Titanfall 2)
and
B) hardcore gamer becoming minorities such that companies no longer have to listen to them to survive (blizzard killing pirate servers of WoW who wanted to preserve the good content of past and not the newer more casual friendly WoW content. As games become a service it gives companies the ability to erase history when they want to and if it benefits them in terms of profits to not let people play superior games from the past over the inferior ones of current time)

I guess that's where nintendo benefit: indies can for now abandon steam to go to Switch platform to pimp their wares where its safer. (ie no flood of junk burying their games from view by masses of low quality creators who are just there for money without putting in quality in the work and as minimum effort as they can legally get away with. This is why I think piracy needs to be legalised to soften the blow that low quality games flooding the market does to the gaming scene. If you can get free games and KNOW they are shit. Your knowledge can be used to arm others by warning them not to bother downloading them in the first place. This puts the crap producers of games out of business, and they move on to look for somewhere else to make money. That acts as quality control through a darwinian system of killing weak companies who perish due to lack of producing anything of value to the consumer and becomes the self-correcting mechanism to weed out the wannabe game developers from the serious guys. If the serious guys can be noticed on the storefront more easily, then the gamers don't have to look for them buried beneath a sea of crap just to buy the games. And the bad games don't make massive profits which discourages developers of games to put hard work into making games. You want to ENCOURAGE good developers to put pride in their work not show them that they can make MORE money making lots of bad games by flooding the marketplace of trash through sheer brute force and having a big number of titles per year to make it hard for the competition to be able to be seen.

If it becomes a war of who can flood the marketplace more than the other guy it creates stress for the buyers who take ages to sift through the sea of crap to find the one good gem beneath the rubbish. You will spend more time looking for the games than playing them.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

This is some interesting stuff:
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-top-100-gam ... -steamspy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Might interest some of the people who are interested in the health of the industry. PC gamers need to support the little guys. Without food these guys will just make console games instead. Your race is doomed because you only play well known shit. No wonder the indie devs are coming to nintendo. Seal of Quality. This is what saved the console game biz after ET on atari scared everyone away. And now Steam is encountering the same problem of atari from the past and repeating the mistake. (too much junk for people to risk trying anything that isn't already established to be good by the game community) This avoidance of risk means a good up and coming talented guy has a hard time getting noticed because the crappy games make it really hard for people to see him. :roll: Too much choice can sometimes be bad. I know I have said that more options is always better than less options. But the exception to that is when people are flooded by crap and spend more time sifting through crap than playing something. Only so many hours in a day. Console platform doesn't have that problem as badly which is why I think console will still hold appeal as long as manufacturer filters things to avoid scaring people away too much like Atari in the 70s.

related:
The Pareto Principle: (AKA the 80/20 rule. A tiny minority of successful people create vast majority of the best work, everyone else virtually starves to death)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_distribution" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steam isn't profitable to the average struggling indie dev anymore:
https://www.pcgamer.com/gdcs-realistic- ... m-picture/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"So here's the thing. In February, around 850 games launched on Steam, which is about 40 a day," said Mike Rose, the indie publisher behind downhill biking game Descenders. "About 82 percent of those didn't even make minimum wage ... by this I mean, the money that came out of 82 percent of the games that came out on Steam would not support a singular person on American minimum wage, which I had to Google."

That's a sobering way to begin a talk, but it's something Rose has done before. Earlier this year he gave a similar talk, "It's time to be realistic about PC sales figures," with slides you can look at here. His talk at GDC includes slightly updated data but essentially the same conclusion: the average game on Steam simply doesn't sell anymore, and the quantity of games being released has made the platform more like Apple's app store, where it's increasingly difficult to stand out.
^
This is important for the next generation of young people thinking about trying to get into game industry. You will be competing against these guys who have more experience than you and who make less than minimum wage. Always have a backup plan if your dream doesn't come true. (get a job in industry like sex robots or some other field is my recommendation - game industry is doomed at least for pc) It's simply a buyer's market right now where the production of game/product being sold is higher than demand (giving buyers the leverage and allowing them to demand low price for the product due to stiff competition) and gamers can barely play all the triple A titles that come out, let alone all the good unknown indie stuff. Unless you go back in time using a time machine and kill all the successful game developer's mothers to prevent their birth from ever happening like the robot assassin in Terminator to win.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

God damn. I started this thread back in October. It's only got worse.

The entire video game industry is a wasteland.
Only two remakes (Bayo and SotC) worth giving a shit about so far this year. This time last year we had Zelda, Horizon and Persona.
What's worth looking forward to this year? There's a few interesting things coming to the switch and that's it.
I honestly cannot remember any other time in my adult life where there was literally no game that I knew I was buying on a certain date.

This E3 better bring something...
PS5 maybe? Well, it best have something worth playing on it.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

When stand up comedians started to warn us about the illuminati and even announced they may quit the career I knew we were doomed.
Funny people don't joke about that stuff. The guy died shortly after he talked on these topics. Fast forward to today the comedians of modern time WILL NOT GO TO COLLEGE CAMPUSES ANYMORE. Why? Because they are afraid they will say something to offend the kids and get targeted by illuminati plants.

The videogame industry is also becoming slowly more political and more and more of these SJW/commies are starting to enter the games business in hopes of getting us to hate things which we have no issue with. (ourselves) Even getting angry if there isn't a pro-feminist message inside the game or at least a anti-western freedom message in there.

These are signs that it's not safe to create art or express yourself anymore. The games stories must be safe for SJW consumption so now stories have to be made that don't offend. When communist works on games, the quality drops. (to fill the diversity quota which kicks the guys with talent out. Already happened to Mass Effect) I predict the hobby will decline much like mainstream tv. (people stopped watching mainstream tv in favour of social media and alternative media because mainstream tv was illuminati controlled. Same thing will happen to gaming which used to have non-pc content)

About games to look out for:

I am thinking the only two major things are Star Citizen when its ready. And Cyberpunk. Maybe Red Dead Redemption 2? I don't really mind long breaks between big "event" titles. If the games of today suck there are many replayable ones from the past. All I know is when Elder Scrolls 6 and Star Field (daggerfall with spaceships?) is out, I will cancel all other game commitments.
Last edited by GameHED on 08 Apr 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

I'm not even remotely interested in another console after this generation. I struggle to keep up with it as it is and I still have this massive backlog of games from last gen I barely have time to play, then there's all my Steam purchases....
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Microsoft, man. They single-handedly rekindled my love for videogames last gen, and then pissed all over it this gen. My 'bone hasn't even been turned on in ages!
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I just have this been there, done that feeling with games now. Nothing really excites me and graphics and technology does seem to be reaching a diminishing return point.

I've noticed that nvidia is pushing realtime ray tracing now, possibly because we've exhausted the rasterized hacks that the next logical step now is to pursue proper ray tracing. Even then that doesn't excite me like it used to because I know we're still several years from having this in realtime at decent playable framerates. Sure it will look nicer but it won't really change the games we play much.

Then there is the backlog like t0mby says, I have so many great games I've yet to touch, even with the excitement of the X I find myself playing on PC more, I guess the flexibility and power is ultimately what I like. Hard to say if I'll buy another console, I even doubt the industry can support new hardware anytime soon, tough to make money now with so much saturation.
PhoneMonkey

Post by PhoneMonkey »

Gaming has lost a lot of its magic. Last gen, games like Fallout 3 and Mass Effect could just take you away to their worlds. Witcher 3 did it this gen. But real gems like those are fewer and farther between now than they've ever been. Most games just aren't made with love anymore.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Yep. Just cynical cash grabs. That's what I think when I look at Sea of Thieves.

I've taken quite a shine to a MegaDrive emulator at the moment I must say. :D
RIGHTEOUS FURY
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Just focus on your backlog, that’s what I’m doing.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

There are definitely games made with love and made with the intent to be good games.. and not cash grabs.

Monster Hunter World, Horizon Zero Dawn.. Persona 5.. these games are amazing... Monster Hunter especially since it was released among a heap of games causing their own controversy.. yet there is MHW.. giving hours of content and things to do and there is more stuff to come.. and I paid $79 for it... and the game is so full and brimming with further potential.. if they do in fact release paid DLC.. I would be happy to pay it because of how much I was given in the first place.