Retro gaming

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Retro gaming

Post by Vince »

Maybe I'm jaded. Maybe it's all the micro transactions. Maybe it's me yearning for the simpler times but I'm trying to see how best to get into retro gaming again. Unfortunately the constraints of being a married man has meant I've had to sell most old consoles I've owned. And I owned a fair few.
I'm aware of emulators on PC (if anyone could help me out with that I'd be so appreciative as I know NOTHING about it) and I'm also considering re-buying old consoles and games. Unfortunately that can cost a fortune so I'm mainly looking at emulators. Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated cause, like I said, I don't know anything about it.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Re: Retro gaming

Post by Madmya »

Maybe seek out the Raspberry Pi 2 route.

http://www.techradar.com/au/news/gaming ... le-1289146" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yoshi Sonic

Retro gaming

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

I would also advocate a Retropie installation.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448520174.636304.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Yoshi Sonic on 17 Dec 2015 10:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

the Raspberry Pi is probably vastly cheaper, but I can recommend the nVidia Shield if they ever release it down here. It emulates everything up to and including the Dreamcast, plus it does a whole bunch more thanks to being Android powered.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Just go to gametraders. they deal in all the old shit and if you have old stuff you can easily sell it to buy new old stuff.

Capcom is doing its best to reboot megaman again starting with megaman collection thing that recently came out, and a live action movie (lol)

loved the cartoon intro:
I feel like rebuying all the megaman x games on nintendo eshop but i prefer 3d classics treatment. Capcom need to follow sega's lead there.

True retro gamers prefer originals. Emulation = the last resort when itls too hard to get the game.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Bought a raspberry Pi 2 system, with games, and two wireless controllers off eBay. Loaded with 3000 games.
http://maxpie.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

How many dollery dos?
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAXPIE-Gamin ... SwjVVVzXCv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$199.95.

I thought I might as well buy the gaming bundle since that's what I was looking to do with it. The raspberry Pi 2 on its own will be no use to me.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Are those commercial roms preloaded?
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I believe so. It arrives tomorrow so I'll soon find out.

There's another bundle that has 8000 plus games which is a little more expensive.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

My only concern would be the cpu, a quad core 900mhz a7 arm chip isn't all that powerful. It will be interesting to see your review and how well the roms run.

I have an android 4.4 media box, m8s (2gz quad core a9 + mali gpu). I haven't tried using usb gamepads and mamedroid with it, I'll try it out, also there is an app called retromania to try out.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I'm only interested in mostly snes/sms/md titles, it shouldn't have any trouble running them. ;).

I'll give the others a go and report back.
GreyWizzard
Boundless Generosity
Boundless Generosity
XBL ID: GreyWizzard
PSN ID: Grey_AU

Post by GreyWizzard »

Ensure it has Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch make my video preinstalled otherwise it's a wasted purchase.
flipswitch
que
que

Retro gaming

Post by flipswitch »

Package arrived today.

Some brief impressions, only tried a handful of games.

Max pie unit it tiny. 32gb memory card already installed.
There's an instruction paper that tells you the basic of setting it up for the first time ( what to turn on/plug in first, how to sync controller.
'N64 games can take up to 20 seconds to load' ' some lagging in the menu but gameplay fine.
More instructions on how to navigate the menu, start a game/save and load and exit.
There's only a shut down process available. No on/off switch. To turn it on just remove and plug in the chord.

2 controllers. The quality is ok, wouldn't pay the asking price of it. '20hrs 'battery life per charge.

When the device boots the max pie splash screens comes up, have to wait about 10seconds to get to menu.

Everything is in 640x480p 60hz. 4:3. There's black bars on both sides and small ones on the top of the button and screen.
I used the zoom function to fix the top/bottom black bars so it's proper 4:3.

Games I tried on sms.
Alex kidd, alien 3, Micky mouse castle of illusion, bank panic.
All ran perfectly except alien 3, the sound sounded slightly different like it wasn't emulated 100%, and on the first level the background had a reddish tint where it supposed to be black, which was weird because the menu was fine.

SNES:

I also tried the alien game and NBA live 96, both appeared to be running at full speed with no issues.

PSX.

Crash team racing.

Ran great, full speed, no problems.

Disappointments:
No 16x9 (without stretching the image)
Only 640x480p 60hz unless I'm missing something.
No on/off switch.
Stated on the ad that there are mega drive games, but there are none, just 32x. Obviously I could add this later on through a SSH connection.

I will try some more games and the other consoles and will report back later on.

Edit: played 007 goldeneye, barely runs, it's like playing in slow motion.

Super Mario 64 running good. Must be certain games perform better than others.

The terminator on master system has working menus but the games graphics are muddled up.

Currently playing Silent Hill, and besides the dated controls and graphics I'm finding it very entertaining. Bonus that it's running great.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450493238.909520.jpg
Connected to my mac via SSH, There are many more emulators available but no games, once you put in a game the emulator they will appear when turning on the device.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yoshi Sonic

Post by Yoshi Sonic »

If you plug in a USB keyboard you can press 'x' or 'm' as the emulator boots and set screen resolution to something more appropriate for your TV. I used a near 16:9 variant of 640x480.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I had some good success converting my m8s android media player into an emulator box, first thing I reused an old 64gb microsd card to load up a full mame/snes/genesis/n64/sms romset, all up it would fit on a 32gb card though. The 2 saturn usb controllers I had worked great on the android media box, android saw them as generic usb controllers and off I went, I could use them to navigate the dash and launch apps too.

I installed mamedroid .139 and retroarch, I can output 1080p 60fps upscalled, games ran really well, there is still the occasional glitch/buggy emu though that you have to put up with. The saturn controllers worked well for mame but for snes/n64 having the extra select buttons and analog stick are needed. Looking to order the wireless controllers that come with the maxpie system.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

so apparently the nVidia Shield can emulate the Gamecube & Wii too. Suck it, Jasper! :lol:
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

:lol:
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie
XBL ID: MrSlow88
PSN ID: MrSlow88

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

Just wondering, are you able to save the games? E.g. If the original N64 games had a save function, will the emulator on this work?
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Yes. Here are the instructions.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451613681.515789.jpg
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Installed Dolphin yesterday. Mainly wanted to play through Metroid Prime and Skies of Arcadia again
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

Flipswitch, that is very helpful... I will look at this MaxPie as my next gaming purchase. :up:
K.T.Shoe[BMs]
Still a rookie

Post by K.T.Shoe[BMs] »

Hi Flipswitch, I contacted the guy on eBay, and here are the games for the 3000+ games / 8000+ games...

MaxPie (3000+ Games)
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MaxPie Plus (8000+ Games)

Just wondering how you finding this MaxPie now that you have it for a few days. I'm really tempted to buy the MaxPie Plus with the 8000+ games... especially for the MAME.

I know I can do this myself, but I'm really time poor and prefer to just play the games instead of fiddling around downloading ROMs, etc...
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

flipswitch wrote:
Edit: played 007 goldeneye, barely runs, it's like playing in slow motion.

The terminator on master system has working menus but the games graphics are muddled up.
Ha..the first thing I looked for when perusing the lists was Terminator for Master System, then Turok and Goldeneye for N64. ahh well.
flipswitch
que
que

Retro gaming

Post by flipswitch »

K.T.Shoe[BMs] wrote:Hi Flipswitch, I contacted the guy on eBay, and here are the games for the 3000+ games / 8000+ games...

MaxPie (3000+ Games)

MaxPie Plus (8000+ Games)

Just wondering how you finding this MaxPie now that you have it for a few days. I'm really tempted to buy the MaxPie Plus with the 8000+ games... especially for the MAME.

I know I can do this myself, but I'm really time poor and prefer to just play the games instead of fiddling around downloading ROMs, etc...
Sorry, I haven't put much time into since the last post. I'm still pissed that I can't play Terminator on master system ( Giant Bombs GOTY of 1992) correctly.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have, or test out certain games. Just remember there are many more emus available, you just need to put the roms in the folder and they will become available ( which I haven't tried yet).