XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Xbox 1st party games to launch same day on Game Pass

Post by lestat »

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/23/1692 ... ft-studios" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Microsoft is planning to bring its own exclusive Xbox games, published through Microsoft Studios, to the company’s Xbox Game Pass subscription. Future games, including Sea of Thieves, will be available via subscription on the same day they’re available to purchase at retail stores or through the Microsoft Store. “The number one request from our customers... was to get new blockbuster games into Game Pass,” explains Microsoft’s games chief, Phil Spencer, in an interview with The Verge.

Sea of Thieves will be the first title available on launch day, March 20th, through the Xbox Games Pass, and that will “follow through with State of Decay 2, Crackdown 3, and the rest of our portfolio,” says Spencer. “Not just those games, but our future Halos, our future Gears of War, future Forzas, and other games. Our plan is to launch those to our Game Pass subscribers at the same time they go to retail.”
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Re: Xbox 1st party games to launch same day on Game Pass

Post by Froggy »

Boom. Got game pass on the weekend on the two week trial and it seems like good value at only 11 bucks a month. If it gets all these exclusives thrown in then it becomes easily a must have.

Makes you wonder about retail though as it seems every major publisher will have their own content service soon and will supply all new stuff way cheaper so how can you compete at the shop, why buy one ea sports title when you can have them all for 15 a month or 70 for one etc.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

So if you ever stop paying the subscription you lose all the games you got via Game Pass. Is that right? In other words you're locked in each year? ..........Still could be good value but just wondering whether you ever own the game.
Candy Arse wrote:
Lepo the Legend gave me his pair for free.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Yeah you lose it once you stop subscribing but when subscription now is au $11 a month its the cost of 2 new releases a year, it never would make sense to buy a physical MS first party game again or even digital.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

MS also confirmed that gamepass carries over to PC, so you can play the play anywhere titles on PC with this sub.

Games keep moving to be a service, this really is the next step. The rest of the entertainment world is being rocked by Netflix and all you can eat services.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?s ... 1516356258" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Despite launching a new physical format in UHD Blu-ray, sales of physical discs continued to plummet in the US last year – even more than in 2016. Subscription streaming on the other hand expanded 30%, according to Variety.
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?s ... 1516682503" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Netflix goes from strength to strength. In the fourth quarter, the company added record-breaking 8.3 million new subscribers. The company expects Disney and Apple to emerge as direct competitors.

110 million members
Netflix continues to lure in new viewers across the world and it is clear that its plan to produce TV series, documentaries, and most recently blockbuster movies is paying off. The company now has 117.5 million subscribers, and many more viewers.
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Post by Jasper »

I love how Microsoft's press release uses games like Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, and Crackdown 3 as examples of upcoming Xbox One exclusive games...when in fact NONE of those games are exclusive!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Why can you play them on your switch 2?
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

They are indeed Microsoft-exclusive games :nana:
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

lestat wrote:MS also confirmed that gamepass carries over to PC, so you can play the play anywhere titles on PC with this sub.

Games keep moving to be a service, this really is the next step. The rest of the entertainment world is being rocked by Netflix and all you can eat services.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?s ... 1516356258" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Despite launching a new physical format in UHD Blu-ray, sales of physical discs continued to plummet in the US last year – even more than in 2016. Subscription streaming on the other hand expanded 30%, according to Variety.
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?s ... 1516682503" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Netflix goes from strength to strength. In the fourth quarter, the company added record-breaking 8.3 million new subscribers. The company expects Disney and Apple to emerge as direct competitors.

110 million members
Netflix continues to lure in new viewers across the world and it is clear that its plan to produce TV series, documentaries, and most recently blockbuster movies is paying off. The company now has 117.5 million subscribers, and many more viewers.
My worry with a service is the same as Spotify etc for music, games struggle enough now if it's not a AAA so if they can sell the game and make a decent profit if they make a decent game. Getting it put in a streaming service that someone pays 11 bucks a month for you are going to get what, 25 cents per install meaning to have a successful game in a subscription model for games you are going to have to a ridiculous amount of installs, so then where's the investment come from? It's like asking for investors in a movie but then telling them the formula for them to make a profit is instead of a cinematic release and 50,000 tickets sold its 1,500,000 views on the service, no ones gonna take that risk. It makes sense when it's first party games or older games that are not selling anymore but looking for a new audience to get some extra revenue from, the same will happen to PC too and Humble Bundle is probably the biggest example of that so far.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

Hang on........so something like Sea Of Thieves or any other new release will be "free" with Game Pass or just at a reduced price?
Candy Arse wrote:
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

You pay your monthly subscription and it’s Free*. Correct me if I’m wrong.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Yes, that's right. And the point may have been missed in lestat's original post, but this apparently goes for all Microsoft Studio games. That will include the next Forza, Gears, Halo, etc.

This is interesting.
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

....sounds like a fucking must.
Candy Arse wrote:
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

It's definitely a must.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I like the sound of this instead of buying a new Forza ever year
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

Yeah exactly, when you buy forza every year digitally for $100 then it's practically already paid itself.

I can't see Horizon 4 coming this year, though. And frankly I don't want it to.
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

I'm guessing it's only the base games though and you still need to buy the DLC?
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

Forza as a service.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Lol. What first party games?

Can barely drag myself to give two shits about Sea of Thieves anymore. It better get some fucking amazing reviews for me to even consider it.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Jasper
Lives in Blacktown N.S.W
XBL ID: CLETUS IS A CUNT!
PSN ID: LESTAT IS A CUNT!

Post by Jasper »

I still cannot believe Nintendo actually got away with duping Microsoft into paying HALF A BILLION DOLLARS to purchase Rare! :lol: :lol: :lol:

After the acquisition was finalised...all the lead talent at Rare fled the company. This is ultimately the reason why Rare have developed nothing but shit games ever since. :cry:

Sea of Thieves looks so fucking generic and boring, and i'm seriously thinking that if the game flops (which it will) Microsoft is at a point where they're just going to end up shutting down Rare (these fuckers literally have done nothing to further the Xbox brand since the acquisition in 2002...and have only ever been a mammoth financial liability to Microsoft). :?

Speaking of Rare...I just had to post this! The reason the idiots at Microsoft may have paid HALF A BILLION DOLLARS for Rare, is because Microsoft mistakenly thought they had acquired the Donkey Kong IP!!! :keke:
Microsoft thought they owned Donkey Kong after acquiring RARE studios

In a bit of funny news trivia, ex-RARE employee and director of Conker's Bad Fur Day, Christopher Seavor, revealed via Twitter that back in 2002 when Microsoft acquired UK-based games developer RARE, Microsoft executives that visited the studio thought that they had indeed also purchased in their deal the Donkey Kong franchise along with RARE's other works such as Perfect Dark and Banjo Kazooie.

Speaking on Twitter, Seavor said a few of the top-brass at Microsoft came for a tour around the studios and upon seeing Donkey Kong posters proceeded to get excited about owning the franchise – until Rare corrected them.

Ouch!

Seavor also mentioned later that Nintendo is 'sitting on prime real estate' with its Star Fox franchise, alluding that they should develop more games in the series as there is still a massive interest.

Seavor is no longer with RARE, however he is still working hard in the industry and now applies his craft at Gory Detail, which is bringing The Unlikely Legend of Rusty Pup to the Wii U and 3DS eShop.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

top game on twitch right now.

Good article on the direction MS is heading with this announcement.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/xbox ... ?r=US&IR=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Jasper wrote:Sea of Thieves looks so fucking generic and boring
Aren't you the same dickhead who was telling us how awesome the waggle mode in USF2 would be, right up until every review totally trashed it? Yeah, your gaming opinion is highly valued :lol:
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot

Post by Madmya »

My interest in Sea of Thieves has always been low, but to call it generic is plain dumb.

I'm guessing the more popular this is, the more publishers that will come on board?
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Austrian retailer Gameware, which declared it will no longer stock Xbox products as a result. The argument is that if every Xbox sale essentially equips customers with access to a service as increasingly comprehensive as Game Pass, repeat business with those customers is minimal - why would they head to Gameware when they can subscribe and receive new Xbox releases automatically?
"Essentially, it's made [our Xbox business] worthless overnight," Stuart Benson of Leicestershire store Extreme Gamez tells us. "You've got the whole section sat there, and why would people buy a £12 to £15 second-hand game when they can just pay a tenner and get a massive catalogue of titles to keep them going? Effectively overnight they've wiped massive value off our company and made it not worth doing.

"Why should we support them and sell their consoles and accessories if we're going to get very little out of it? We don't make anything off their digital selection. It's pretty pointless. We might as well go where we're supported, which is Sony."

Like Austria's Gameware, Extreme Gamez now no longer plans to stock Xbox products.
Stephen 'Stan' Stangroon of Cornish indie Stan's Games agrees, adding: "If they're going to do this, I won't bother [stocking Xbox]. You only make £3 or £4 on Xbox games like the new Monster Hunter, if you're lucky.

"They'll kill the second hand market. I reckon even the public won't like it in the end - I sold a Monster Hunter this morning and the bloke's already brought it back."
And
"To be honest with you, our sales are quite predominantly PS4 - the ratio is something like 5 to 1," says Steve Walker of Somerset store Insane Games. "So yes, I can see it making quite a big impact to Xbox gaming in general, but I don't think it will affect our company as much."

Le Cornu agrees: "For every 20 PlayStation titles we sell, we only sell one or two Xbox titles. It's not going to hit our bottom line massively."
While I love independent game stores when I stumble across them ... This doesn't bother me as much as I thought it might. It's happened to music, it's happened to video, only a crazy person (or someone who lives in a country with a copper-based N"B"N ... shit) can't see this happening to videogames too (and Steam has already done it to PC without a subscription service).

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2 ... s-outright
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 6 (PC), FIFA 21 (Series X), TimeSplitters 2 (Series X BC)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

lol at rip off rental merchants crying, no one cares your crappy business model no longer works and consumers can enjoy games at much lower cost.

Rumor swirling around that MS wants to acquire EA.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/29/16930 ... -microsoft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A move like that is probably needed to bolster the value proposition of game pass and to unlock a vast library of titles.

Having Fifa/Madden on gamepass day one is a huge.

I was reading the recent Trump tax changes mean that many companies need to bring back their offshore cash hoard in the next 12 months, MS has over 100bn sitting there doing nothing, EA is probably a 35Bn deal, they make 1.5bn in profit and EA is already doing EA access.