Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Dragonball Fighter Z

Post by GameHED »

Reviews are out and anime fans and fighting game fans should buy it:
My main problem as a fan of DBZ: Why did they make Tien so skinny? I thought by the time of DBZ that he was the most muscular and bulked up Z fighter on the team and it seems they regressed him back to being average looking again as seen in Dragonball. (back when goku was still a kid and Master Rochi was the trainer)

Did the developers forget the character from Z or deliberately choose skinny version? (still haven't watched super yet which might be why he went skinny since they may have changed him back to being weak again in the story)

For those intimidated by fighting games this is one of those games that is easy to get into. I think they should do a teenage mutant ninja turtles fighting game after this. For fans of the konami snes game.
^please make modern equivalent to this ArcSys. Easy money. :up:
Last edited by GameHED on 24 Jan 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Re: Dragonball Fighter Z

Post by Candy Arse »

Another game for you to be too scared to play, CrackHED? :up:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Sounds more like you which is why you buy pc versions so you can rage quit anytime instead of play fighting games on the switch where you must meet them in person and can't hack the results using malware to cause the game to shut down at times when yo uare being defeated by 5 year old kids in grade 1 who have only 2 button controllers from the commodore amiga days and are not even able to do all the moves and are paid by you to lose in order to win the tournaments so you can impress boomy. It doesn't trick me though. I am a true warrior not a beginner like you who always relies on guidebooks to tell you what to do like it's your pimp and you are its bitchslave.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Another problem with the game:

it's 2018 now and no blood, gore, bruises, clothes that get torn and ripped and mech-damage (in cases like android 16 who are pure robots). I think that is the one thing people wanted since you can nowadays watch anime in uncensored form more easily these days. In fighting game where you are getting beaten down so hard, it would have been a nice touch and furthered the whole fighting game genre a little bit. Mortal Kombat already had fatalities in the old days and the in-between is seeing your opponent being worn down a little bit more as the reward for long combos and consistently sucessful hits. And the reward for good defence can carry over into the next match as your character maybe he can move a little bit faster (1.2 times speed as they were able to stay 'fresh' during the last round) to give you incentive to play conservatively and maintain character's stamina and not make flashy moves only but avoid mistakes.

Part of good fighting is avoiding mistakes or doing risky stuff. If they can put in mechanic where getting damaged is bad for your character (either make them lag a bit in getting back up or let the fresh character move a little quicker to encourage the defender to only attack when it's completely safe to attack) then the games will look more tactical and less button mashy. Not all characters were combo heavy people. The big mohawk android guy was more of a grapple character in the show.

Android 16 violently ripping cell's tail off to disable his energy sucking ability:
Note that grab move rather than enery moves (ki blasts, fireballs, beam shots) are absent and that he mostly tackles opponents to the floor bear hug them to squeeze oxgygen out of thier lungs or tears off the limb to beat them? This is unique in DBZ where 90 percent is striking with kung fu blows. That's why he stands out because he is using different tactics and never relies on energy attacks. Rocket punch doesn't count as that is using mechanism not 'magick'.
''Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are ones who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you are Gohan. You are gentle. You do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learnt these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please... drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved.. You have the strength. My scanners sensed it. Just ...let it go''
Best speech in the series imo. Fuck Frozen. DBZ said let it go before it was cool.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

GameHED wrote:Sounds more like you which is why you buy pc versions so you can rage quit anytime instead of play fighting games on the switch where you must meet them in person and can't hack the results using malware to cause the game to shut down at times when yo uare being defeated by 5 year old kids in grade 1 who have only 2 button controllers from the commodore amiga days and are not even able to do all the moves and are paid by you to lose in order to win the tournaments so you can impress boomy. It doesn't trick me though. I am a true warrior not a beginner like you who always relies on guidebooks to tell you what to do like it's your pimp and you are its bitchslave.
I own SF5 on PC and PS4.

I own SF4 on PC, PS4 and 360.

I've offered to play you online and offline and you refuse all the above. It ain't me who is scared buddy ;)
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Gamehed nonsense aside, the beta was a lot of fun when it worked. Visually it's easily the best looking fighter out there, on the X it looked native 4k and ran rock solid 60fps.

They're doing another exclusive beta test on xbox for those to try again.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hi FighterZ! We've made the necessary improvements in order to enable X1 users to experience DRAGON BALL FighterZ in all of its online multiplayer glory; join us for an Xbox One exclusive open beta at the following dates/times - Start: Jan. 23 at 9pm PST / End: Jan. 24 at 9pm PST
I might wait a bit and see if the community on PC is large enough, it doesn't have crossplay like SF5 does.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I think it will be. A huge component of the Oz FGC is on PC.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Candy Arse wrote:
GameHED wrote:Sounds more like you which is why you buy pc versions so you can rage quit anytime instead of play fighting games on the switch where you must meet them in person and can't hack the results using malware to cause the game to shut down at times when yo uare being defeated by 5 year old kids in grade 1 who have only 2 button controllers from the commodore amiga days and are not even able to do all the moves and are paid by you to lose in order to win the tournaments so you can impress boomy. It doesn't trick me though. I am a true warrior not a beginner like you who always relies on guidebooks to tell you what to do like it's your pimp and you are its bitchslave.
I own SF5 on PC and PS4.

I own SF4 on PC, PS4 and 360.

I've offered to play you online and offline and you refuse all the above. It ain't me who is scared buddy ;)
Yeah we are so scared of a pc gamer being 'good' at fighting games pressing "F1" on a bloody keyboard to do an autocombo on us. Lol Forum clowns may be creepy but not scary. We prefer playing games not watching tournaments on twitch and being armchair experts who talk about shit. Wegot no time for teaching beginners who need to learn how to play by watching others and thinking you'll be good playing against kids who are new to fighting games. Steel sharpens steel. I play against weaklings like you I get cocky and it makes me weaker. I want to get better not worse. You need an arcade fighting stick to perform easy stuff. That's how I know you suck. Owning the game on all the platforms doesn't mean you are a badarse. Why else did you have to use Balrog to win? Because you have poor player skill. You are like the guy who uses Akuma in super turbo tournaments to win because you exploit broken characters haha Then complain when overpowered characters are nerfed to keep the game balanced so you can't use cheap tactics. Get gud. Learn ALL characters that is how you play properly. Not just follow what others say online which is disinfo so you choose the wrong character so they can get easy victory.
Last edited by GameHED on 24 Jan 2018 07:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Here come the excuses.

I'll tell you what GameHED - let's play SF5 online first to 10. You can tell me which character I have to use for the set. Loser gets their account deleted from this forum :)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Nobody tells Lord GameHED what to do. I can just send spies beat the kids up that bested you and retain privacy as normal people do by not sharing info. We live in an age where game companies spy on the users that use thier products. As soon as capcom figure out what characters you use to win they change them to encourage you to stop using them. Its annoying because they had testers for older games to ensure balance. Now they just change stuff to be diplomatic so people keep buying the game instead of expecting the loser to get better.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Candy Arse wrote:I think it will be. A huge component of the Oz FGC is on PC.
So because australians like pc the rest of the world should follow? You realise pc is full of pirates right? Why the fuck should the rest of the world care what non-paying users think..Lol
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

So in other words you're still scared to play me. Cool story bro :lol:
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

lestat wrote:Gamehed nonsense aside, the beta was a lot of fun when it worked. Visually it's easily the best looking fighter out there, on the X it looked native 4k and ran rock solid 60fps.

They're doing another exclusive beta test on xbox for those to try again.

Hi FighterZ! We've made the necessary improvements in order to enable X1 users to experience DRAGON BALL FighterZ in all of its online multiplayer glory; join us for an Xbox One exclusive open beta at the following dates/times - Start: Jan. 23 at 9pm PST / End: Jan. 24 at 9pm PST
I might wait a bit and see if the community on PC is large enough, it doesn't have crossplay like SF5 does.
Fighting games are best offline imo. It's the one genre where any lag can ruin the experience. The genre was designed to be played side by side. In the same way candy complains that wagle controls ruin nintendo games like mario odyssey to do a move, lag and online experience ruins fst paced fighting games for me. He only plays street fighter so he doesn't understand that fast games like guilty gear it can affect your performance. Ok for older fighting games online might be ok but not VS games which is what DBZ feels like. (it's basically MVC with the DBZ license) I still remmeber playing tatsunoko vs capcom online and it was a joke. I vowed 'never again' online gaming suck comapred to offline couch play. For MMO stle games, online gaming is fine but for fighting games it is silly and should be done away with. True competitive play is couch multi. I wish they'd ditch online modes and just give us more content. Nobody who is serious plays that way unless they are having casual fun.

You guys need REAL LIFE FRIENDS. Not autistic online random trolls who it's no fun to beat. Get out of your mom's basement FFS. Online is not the meaninig of your life. And you guys think they should remove arcade modes? Arcades are why the fighting game genre even exist lol It actually cost money to lose so in many way the competitive scene of fighting games in the old days in arcades was the most pure experience since you had to pay to challenge a guy and if you lost you lost REAL money too. Arcade mode simulates what original fighting games were before we could go online to know about everything before a game even came out. In arcade mode you get some idea about a character's fight philosophy without the filler. (it incentivises you to find out why characters fight a certain way but not bore you)
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

This game looks fucking amazeballs
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

It's really quite good. The most spectacular fighting game I've ever played.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Digital Foundry explains that since it mostly uses low framerate character animation but maintain 60fps overall it captures the cartoon authenticity of the anime which used low framerate on the movement of the action. What that does is recreate how anime move and looks so you believe these are actually hand drawn sprites due to the choppy movement:
No need for fancy effects like other games since everyone is flat-shaded which is why I think Capcom should go back to the look of StreetFighter III and SF Alpha with anime colored people which is 'neater' and ages better than traditional CG look we have now. (for proof of this go back and play Wind Waker on GC. Still looks good despite all the time that has passed..)
They could start with Darkstalkers or SF6. But one-up ArcSys by having clothing damage/battle damage on the characters after each round so they progressively look worse each round with bruised face, more-laboured breathing, ripped clothes, blood and burn marks etc (eg being scratched by clawed character result in cut marks/scars)

In shows like DBZ characters get beaten up and damaged and it shows in their condition during fights with major characters. That was the only thing they didn't recreate in this game. Perhaps they add it in later installments? Often Goku's uniform would get torn up badly and he'd have to get new ones or the old would get stitched. Other times characters would get body parts blown off from a high level KameHameHa attack. Some would get cut in half (Krillin has a buzzsaw projectile special move which is often used as a fatality move in fights by hm and other characters). You could cut people in half in games like Samurai Shodown. But why don't they let us do it in DBZ? We have regressed imo... What Zelda Breath of the Wild showed is that people are perfectly fine with anime-styled visuals because it lets things pop out at you and this is what makes some games stand out a bit better in a crowd full of photorealistic FPS shooting games with shadowing and lighting and detailed-infested texturing crammed into everything. From a distance you can look at DBZ and identify it easily from a bunch of stills as if it was footage from the toon. And that will age well because its authentic to the original comic art. Anime shows ironically are moving away from hand drawn visuals and into CG. (see the new Berserk anime ....urgh) Thanks to globalisation and cheap arses trying to save money instead of giving us quality and expensive stuff, it's ruining the reputation of the source material the shows are based on..
Sci-fi shows like Macross Frontier and Delta show a healthy balance of CG (for ships and mecha) and hand drawn (used on characters and organic stuff) and I think that is how CG should be applied. Still life objects with no movement are ok but it needs to be colored in a way that blends well with the hand drawn character or it sticks out like a sore thumb. But even then when a robot moves around using motion capture it's still not as good as the movement of the robot by hand animators manipulating it's motion to give it personal expression. (eg you'll notice they do actions a bit too smoothly not make those sudden sharp movements we are used to seeing them do in the 2D cartoons, and what this does is give you the feeling you are just watching a cutscene from a videogame not the cartoon. Because it all feels like it was cut and pasted together not a whole body of work with a consistent look and feel)

Where capcom failed: when Street Fighter 4 came out a lot of western fans of the games liked the look of the game. But asian fans who liked the hand drawn look felt disappointed because it gave a sense that the only reason they went down that path is to SAVE MONEY not because we fans WANT that. I hope capcom goes back to the flat shaded anime-colored look again because giving characters a limited color set makes them pop out more. Games like Darkstalkers had that look with exaggerated expressions and humourous reaction to being beaten up. (the maijin buu look when he is bashed up) Somewhere along the line we lost the humour when things went CG 3D and became too 'solid'.

What we prefer is 3D graphics made to LOOK LIKE it's the handrawn 2D comic book style, and anime-style MOVEMENT (eg lowered framerates that give us back that sharp motion we miss from watching tv shows) and this is the magic that makes the arcsystem games stand out. Both guilty gear xrd onwards and DBZ succeed in drawing crowds. The nerds get close replicas of the comic book version instead of the action figure in CG form. Nothing wrong with watching actions figures punch and kick each other to death: but it's not as good as seeing the character as a flat object as presented in the original shows. It's just better from a distance because everything colour matches. Not going for realism gives the artist more freedom of expression to have them move like they are limited to tv show budget and the consistently choppy motion reminds you that these are characters from comic not mannequins being filmed on high FPS cameras. We already have games like Tekken that do the CG look. No need to cheap out. Take pride in the original source material and don't try to "improve" it by making the world more realistic when it's originally a cartoon universe.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

For those of you who have a lot of old games lying around and too lazy to put them up for sale on gumtree or ebay:

EB has a deal on this game where you can trade in two games to get Dragonball Fighter Z for $50. :up:

Currently it's $79 at jb hifi. Knowing arcsysworks though, they are reknown for always releasing a new version of the fighting games so you always feel like you shell out multiple times for the same game but with a bit more updated stuff added to the top. :P

At least they don't exclude modes (SFV original launch) and have roster that doesn't make people fume (MVC:I for excluding x-men and being less content complete than UMVC3) :D
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Well this has shipped 2m copies already, matching SFV LTD.

GameHED

Post by GameHED »

That's really good news because you can tell the people who made this game were fans of fighting animes themselves.
And since they make good fighting games it is a match made in heaven as far as I'm concerned.
I would love to see Bandai Namco arrange to get ArcSysWorks to do a Gundam VS game with the MVC style gameplay with camera locked to the side view.

I know that it would conflict with the existing Gundam VS game out now, but I just would love to see anime Robot shows get the MVC treatment like Dragonball because there are so many god damn robots they could include in something like that. It's easy money and since Gundam is to japan what star wars is to the west, ArcSysWorks would be stupid to not attempt something like that if they really want to get their name out there beyond the fighting game community. (and show anime watchers what a good licensed game looks and feels like)

Do you guys remember Tech Romancer? Cyberbots? This would be ArcSysWorks attempt to challenge capcom on the robot fighting game front. Forget One Piece do Gundam next. It's not as popular in the west as Dragonball but maybe Bandai can use the fighting game as a vehicle to help make the robot show more widely known through the videogame and fighting game community playing it at tournaments. All gundam shows have robots that fight in different ways too so there would be variety of techniques if they choose a nice cross section of mobile suits eg: you have slow heavy armed ones that move like crap, stealth ones that go for sneak attacks and cloaking ability, ones that fight up close, ones with nukes equiped on them, ones that have psychic communication systems on them to control drones called bits and funnels that can be positioned to add extra defense and offense (think of Oro in SF when he levitates rocks) and the cannon fodder general purpose mechs that are all round machines. Some fight in space, ground, sea, and air so you can even vary the environments. Eg in space beam weapons might be more effective. On the ground you can use smoke to hide and make laser weapon less effective. In the air it's all about surgical air dashing to evade homing missiles and dash canceling into the enemy to aproach from angles that are vulnerable blind spots such as when a mobile suit is using ranged attack spam. (in gundam there are always ways to solve a problem by having the right mecha and this is where choosing your team of 3 guys on your team comes into play. A balanced team can handle more situations easily but a focused team will do extremely well against a team of mecha that is weak against a specific type of play.)

Capcom's Cyberbots (street fighter with mechas)
ArcSysWorks can use the advances in graphics to give us something akin to this game but using the Gundam license and make a killing! But give us 3 vs 3 so the strategy is in deciding what playstyle we want to have. (high replayability like in MVC) They can access all the voice actors from the shows and draw in anime watchers who normally would avoid a fighting game that isn't well-known tv show.

Meanwhile capcom should ditch Marvel/Disney and get the license to do another Capcom vs SNK game. SFV and MVCI in terms of sale will be hard to notice with the release of DBFZ hogging all the attention. Don't bother with SF6 and just keep adding new content to SFV instead.

Related:
Gundam Endless Duel (snes gundam 2d fighter)
^ditch the slow speed add MvC mechanics and modern graphics and you have a winner
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

The new Android 21 character is pretty cool (what if Kirby turned into a hot chick):
How to unlock her:
https://www.primagames.com/games/dragon ... android-21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would like to see more unique characters like this. Maybe Akira Toriyama should do what capcom did for megaman games and hold a competition to design a Dragon Ball character to appear in the game?

My idea is a character that can summon random monsters to fight while he buffs them with certain abilities during the fight. Think of Bobidy and Bipidy if they were battle mages? Now in the VS capcom games we have had giant fighters in the games before like Gold Lightan and the mech from Lost Planet. The wizard would summon monsters as big as those and they would have super armor like properties to them so you could hit them but they wouldn't be easy to pushback. The idea would be to give the player a chance to use many Sentinel-style characters against opponent and choose the one that best suits the situation by summoning that one. In much the same way if you were using Ryu, you could choose to be ken/ryu/akuma in the original Marvel vs Capcom to switch up your playstyle a bit.
By transforming the monster you can change tactics midway through a battle. If you want a giant robot character like Sentinel from the x-men comics with tank abilities you can change into that. If you want a Giant Ape type monster with high damage you can change into that and if you want a shapeshifting one like Majin Buu you can summon this. The 3 different types of monster have different strengths and weaknesses so mastering how they move and when to summon them will be key to beating people. (Much like mixing the two different stances when you play as Gen in street fighter alpha games to make it harder for the opponent to guess what move you will combo into)

The backstory is the wizard got the idea from playing pokemon style games as a kid and this became his fighting philosophy. Don't fight yourself, just summon monsters from other dimensions to do the work so you can focus on tactics and instead of getting hurt yourself, you just posess the creature by placing your soul into its body. He'd have the intelligence of someone like Piccolo but the power of Goku when using his giant ape mode. (the difference is unlike Goku he has perfect control over the monster and it doesn't just go on rampage and attack random shit, but reacts intelligently like a proper fighter)

One thing I miss about Dragon Ball is they never played around with the idea of monsters being highly intelligent in later shows. In the first tv show you had dinosaur men who participate in the fights and they moved away from monsters and more towards aliens and androids. Bring back monsters again. Yes maijin Buu is a monster, but it doesn't act like one for most of the story. The purpose of monkey mode and why the saiyans sent them to earth was that it would destroy a whole planet and the logic of why the good guys cut its tail off is to protect the world from being destroyed. But now that aliens and humans can do all the planet destroying moves because they have all gotten so ridiculously powerful over the course of the many shows, the danger of destroying the planet is still there so there is no excuse not to use monsters in fighting tournament again so long as they are controllable. All the character in DBFZ seems to be normal sized creatures. Having one or two giant in the game may alter how you play as a team. IE if you need zone defense (ie throw a massive bomb to do area-of-effect attacks to cover a lot of space) you switch to giant monster and for more surgical attacks switch to the regular size guys.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Great tips for noobs:
Recently read a bunch of chapters of Dragonball Super manga. All the new colours of saiyan hair are getting ridiculous now.They have Goku fighting gods now and it's like they have no use for the weaker characters anymore. It's not as good as Dragonball Z. But there isn't much else for the main character to fight really unless they introduce cataclysmic event where characters get weaker somehow. (ie the two character permanently injure their bodies somehow and so fights are back to being low power again due to being crippled a bit)
The main problem of Super is there is no emotional charge. When the interesting bad guys died, all that's left is for good guys to kill each other for sport or disagreements in who is tougher. lol I think the franchise should have ended with Buu saga much like Star Wars ending with ep6. Anything else is fanfiction stories. Instead Toriyama just create another fighting comic series. This lets fanbase die off a bit so you can think up new content. (for example why not have evil versions of dragon balls that wizards can gather to remove a wish made by anyone who used dragonballs to grant them their wish to undo the good that heroes have done so that you have a story where the heroes must foil the wizard's plot to gather all the evil dragonballs to make it easy to conquer the free people? This gives us back the adventure from earlier drgaonball shows and places the task of hunting down and pursuing the bad guys more than running away from them. The bad guys would be weak dudes playing the underdog but all the bad guys would form a team of bad guys and work together to survive, sort of like the main characters in darkstalkers)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

What happens when two high level supers clash against each other:
I put that one on my favourites list. :up: Often in the anime and comic when two moves come out at the same time the moves would nullify each other and you get struggle between attacks rather than the moves going right through each other and ignoring what's in front of the attack. The makers of this game thought of all these details. There was a bit of that in games like darkstalkers but not as intense as what's here. Also I seem to remember how in Street Fighter Alpha 3 if you time a move like a fierce or roundhouse just at the right time while pushing forward then your move would clash with the other guy's move (who does a move at the same time as you), and yours would continue to go animate while hitting the other guy instead of going into a hitstun animation... while the other guy would go into hitstun as your move hit him. Your character would glow red when you successfully pulled it off. I think clash system for moves is a good system. There was also a glowing blue thing where you block at the right time while being in block stun to reduce tick damage. (alpha 3 introduced a lot of cool things)

One of the highlights of the video is when two characters go into their flurry of punches and kicks at exactly the same time and do no damage to each other because their moves are just hitting each other rather than hitting the vulnerable soft parts of the respective opponents which is something that you see happen millions of time in the tv show when two roughly equal power characters are attempting to spam their way past the defensive strikes of the opponent but are mostly at a stalemate for most of the time. This game IS the cartoon! :lol:

And it needs to come to the Switch! What are you waiting for ArcSys? It uses unreal engine 4 and the switch can handle that. Maybe it will have to get downgraded somewhere but it's a license to print money.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Wish the developers had placed this info in the game :(

Why should I have to go to online forums and shit to know all this?