Monster Hunter World (Not Switch): Unbiased Impressions

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Monster Hunter World (Not Switch): Unbiased Impressions

Post by Candy Arse »

This is my first Monster Hunter experience and now that I "get" the flow of the game I fucking love it.

Anyone else playing? I grabbed it on PS4 so doing some hunts together would be cool.

Have set the visuals to the framerate option. The drop when doing resolution or graphics is too much. Runs at a decent clip with the framerate setting switched on. So far I've gravitated towards the bow as my weapon of choice.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Re: Monster Hunter World (Not Switch): Unbiased Impressions

Post by t0mby »

I've got Jasper on ignore. Is he whinging that it's not a real Monster Hunter game cos it's not on Nintendo? :lol:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

MH World should be ported to switch in scaled down form imo. Did Capcom receive some form of moneyhat from sony to prevent it?
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
klee123

Post by klee123 »

Just reached Rank 12 and is now my GOTY.

What's even better is that all of my co-workers are playing it too. It's kinda awesome how popular this game has gotten ever since it got out of the shitty low res handheld constraints.

GameHED wrote:MH World should be ported to switch in scaled down form imo. Did Capcom receive some form of moneyhat from sony to prevent it?
Better than Nintendo fucking cockblocking the series for the last 8 years.

Put it this way, at least Nintendo fans who refuse to play on PS or Xbox can eventually get it on PC. Same can't be said when Nintendo has a game exclusive top their system.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

I guess it's good overall for MH fans in general.

Nintendo is still the underdog for anything to do with online. They don't seem to value the social side to it.

One day they will get it. Perhaps they will wise up like microsoft and be more open-minded about things and even let people earn a living making content for games? (we see that in the form of modding on pc already but what I mean is officially letting us design whole games like Roblox etc)

What I would like to see is nintendo move more in the direction of mario maker and start giving people tools to craft unique experiences but for 3D creations. Make an MMO and if the console biz dies off they have the multipltform gaming community to fall back on. (despite what guys like you and candy think graphics are not everything, it's the flexibility of what you can do with the engine underneath. Kids don't care that much about hyper realism compared to how customisable things can be)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
klee123

Post by klee123 »

The game is selling pretty darn well too in Japan, which means that people will still buy it regardless.

As I said before, I'm glad the series is finally out of Nintendo's clutches.

The game will end up selling more than 10 million units despite not being on a Nintendo console.
GeneraL CyberFunK
Wants it in 8 Directions

Post by GeneraL CyberFunK »

klee123 wrote:Just reached Rank 12 and is now my GOTY.

What's even better is that all of my co-workers are playing it too. It's kinda awesome how popular this game has gotten ever since it got out of the shitty low res handheld constraints.
I'm not far behind you in this.. This game is showing what a AAA release should be.. and not a lootbox in sight.

I have a few clients who are playing it and it's been a lot of fun.. the variations in play styles makes it so cool. Playing with the bow gun atm but have a soft spot for the long sword and Hunting Bow.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

I played whatever Monster Hunter was on the Wii.
Too much chore-like busy work for my liking. Modern MH games might be better, but I was soured on the franchise back then.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

That's why I don't like MMO games. The busy work in MHTri can be automated once you work on the farm (fully upgraded it generates certain things in bulk) so it gives you the resources without too much manual gathering. Plus you can hire mercenaries to do missions for you to hunt monsters to get the resources. (ones that you harvest off monsters not the environment)

The games ARE sims so these busy work activities fit the genre the game is. Learning how to be efficient saves you time. Saving time means you get to focus on fun things. Doing fun things well lets you get more powerful as the monsters drop rare stuff to make better things. More powerful tools/gear make grinding faster and less annoying (kill low level monster with the intention of farming them of resources). Harder versions of older monsters then appear (more special moves, faster movement, more damaging) to make you feel weak again. ...And the cycle repeats.

The gathering part was what bored me in tri. But you eventually got most of the stuff in more fun ways. It's more for those who want a break from combat to do relaxing stuff. That isn't mandatory since you can use money to buy resources you earned from hunting. It's more "DIY if you are too poor to purchase it" thing. It is like roaming around the world in elder scrolls gathering plants instead of using money and buying. Remember that in co-op, sometimes bad players can act as extra space to hold stuff. So no time is wasted as the resources can be given to others to fight while you mine/gather in peace. (if you are going to dangerous spot to get stuff, you may need other to act as distraction so monsters don't hurt you while you are trying to get things from the environment.)
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Twiztid Elf wrote:I played whatever Monster Hunter was on the Wii.
Too much chore-like busy work for my liking. Modern MH games might be better, but I was soured on the franchise back then.
I bought the PSP version for the Vita and couldn't get into it either. Don't think MH is for me at all.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.