Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Re: Sea of thieves

Post by Froggy »

Hercy wrote:
Froggy wrote:The worst part is that it also seems the loot is scaled severely to drag out your progression a long time. We did a skull mission early last week and got about 17.5k of loot, then we did a lot of sailing in between and got a bunch of treasure and so levelled to 20 in the gold merchants pretty fast and since then every quest has been the cheapest chests so we do these 4 or 5 island treasure hunts and get chests worth 98 bucks or so each, this is after buying and doing the higher level quests. Then when another of our crew did the skull again they only got less than 10k again so the deliberate scaling is well really off putting but also the lack of better loot for buying better and harder quests is a bit backwards to me. Longer sailing and harder for basically worthless stuff.
I ask this legitimately: why do you want to level up reputation ranks and get gold?
We were under the impression better more interesting quests with levelling would come with levelling as well as some sort of end game content by becomi g a legend?

Like there has to be some point to leveling?
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

LOL.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Well it isnt a big deal as the quests give us some plan each session
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Ok I just checked I am not crazy there is emd game content
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Regardless of what should be in the game, I still think it's somewhat pleasing to play. The ocean is pretty amazing and nicely affected by the weather. Unfortunately, the vehicles handle like boats but I'm ok with that because they're boats. I'm treating it as early access and expecting things to become more interesting as time goes by.
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

I'd still like to play it a little bit more. Do a skull fort. See if the frequency of seeing other players is better. Then I'll be done with it.

But I won't be doing it tonight because the server is down for maintenance between 8pm and 1am.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

again, getting screwed in AU on maintenance windows.

Skull fort might send u batty, fighting the skeletons is still clunky as.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

9GB update for regular Xbone and 18.62GB update for BoneX
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

........or just delete what you already have.
Candy Arse wrote:
Lepo the Legend gave me his pair for free.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

lestat wrote:
Lepo5 wrote:May I be the first to say, this game is boring :down:
I don't think you're first, it's getting hammered by lots of reviewers, there isn't really a lot to do in the game, the fun is really from the social angle. I find games like PUBG to be boring, same map, same random loot and being shot in the back by some guy you never saw, rinse repeat.

But it's what people are loving for some reason, this game is crafted for that sort of audience, the social streaming crowd, they love half done games and watching their favorite streamers play them. :?
Should be renamed "No Man's Sea".
Nintendo should buy them back and get them to work on dino planet. Make it a Yoshi's Island 3D adventure game set way into the future where dragons have been extinct for ages and yoshi is brought to life to stop reptlians similar to perfect dark. Sick of MS owning them. Rare was awesome in the n64 days with nintendo looking over thier shoulder to ensure they were not slacking off.

Buy Far Cry 5 instead. $69 at big w. User reviews are out on metacritic to confirm it's fun. Don't believe eurogamer because they only rated it down because the game lacked a SJW friendly message and this factored into the score. I garuantee you will have more fun playing the campaign in co-op with a buddy than this pirate game which is obviously still in demo stage of development. Yes it got big deceptive marketing hype to make you think it was deep story like dead island; and you can be angry about that, but if you can put that aside for a second it doesn't change the fact that the gameplay itself is solid.

Related:
Discussion of reviews of FC5 from left leaning gaming sites (specifically what motivated them to lower score and effectively drag metacritic average down):
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/21 ... 5/76455978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/03/28/ ... f-thieves/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The worldwide excitement for Sea of Thieves has made it the fastest-selling first-party new IP of this generation. Having witnessed more than a million players on launch day, our community continues to grow and now has more than two million players. Alongside this, Sea of Thieves is already the best-selling Microsoft Studios first-party title on Windows 10.
More than 100,000 players have streamed Sea of Thieves since launch, resulting in more than 10 million hours watched in the last week. Thank you to all the content creators and community who have streamed Sea of Thieves and entertained viewers with their creativity and sense of fun as it jumped into the number one slot on Twitch and Mixer several times this past week.
More than half of a million new Xbox Live friendships have been forged to date and over 400,000 players have joined an Xbox Club to find pirates to share stories with.
We know the response has led to some scale challenges and exposed some bugs we have addressed and will continue to address. Please know that the team at Rare is working hard to tackle any player-impacting issues and this is our number one priority.
Well done MS, I think the industry was in dire need of a chill social game that wasn't obsessed with levels/xp. Just have some fun with friends. I'm hopeful for forthcoming content and changes to flesh out the experience even more. I think gamepass is really opening up people to trying games they normally wouldn't and finding out they like it.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

At ebgames you can get Elex and Stardew Valley for $70 in a "2 for $70" deal. Lower the fucking price already.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Shortest GameHED post ever?
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

lestat wrote:
Well done MS, I think the industry was in dire need of a chill social game that wasn't obsessed with levels/xp. Just have some fun with friends. I'm hopeful for forthcoming content and changes to flesh out the experience even more. I think gamepass is really opening up people to trying games they normally wouldn't and finding out they like it.
I'm not sure they'll go in this direction, but I think that this game would be great with some GTA Online type game modes. A point to point race, cannoning each other and trying to catch the wind. An arena battle where the play area slowly shrinks. A mode where one galleon tries to get some treasure from one spot to another while multiple sloops try to stop them.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Hercy wrote:
lestat wrote:
I'm not sure they'll go in this direction, but I think that this game would be great with some GTA Online type game modes. A point to point race, cannoning each other and trying to catch the wind. An arena battle where the play area slowly shrinks. A mode where one galleon tries to get some treasure from one spot to another while multiple sloops try to stop them.
With Beach Boys Sloop John B playing in the background. That or a choice between Rod Stewart or some Benny Hill type music.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Hercy wrote: I'm not sure they'll go in this direction, but I think that this game would be great with some GTA Online type game modes. A point to point race, cannoning each other and trying to catch the wind. An arena battle where the play area slowly shrinks. A mode where one galleon tries to get some treasure from one spot to another while multiple sloops try to stop them.
those are some pretty good ideas for the game actually.
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

So a Twitch streamer called Prod1gyX got to Pirate Legend a couple of days ago by getting his followers to invite him to their sessions when they were just about to turn in loot, thereby letting him share in the gold. By avoiding the grind, he beat everyone else who had been trying. Anyway, long story short: Pirate Legend unlocks a new costume, and some new voyages which involve... killing skeletons, collecting chickens, and digging up chests. Oh, and a new shipwright who says that Legendary ship skins are coming soon.

And now a streamer called SniperNamedG is a few hours away from getting there via actual grinding. Apparently he's played/streamed for 230 hours, and the game has only been out for 300 hours. If it takes a phenomenal player 230 hours then good luck to everyone else. Not that there's much to be found at the end anyway.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

He's probably sharing the account with his flatmate. There's no way you could accumulate that amount of hours on your own is that amount of of time.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Hercy

Post by Hercy »

He's streamed the whole lot on Twitch. So unless his flatmate sounds just like him...

He's done a few 30 hour continuous streams. Look at his Twitter account:

March 20: Awesome 30 Hour @SeaOfThieves stream. Catch you guys in a few hours to continue
March 22: Another long stream! 26 Hours of grinding @SeaOfThieves Time to get some sleep
March 23: 3 24 Hour + streams in a row
March 27: Yo the cast today was insane! You guys were crazy with the support. Hope you all enjoyed that 31 Hour stream. That's around 140+ Hours of @SeaOfThieves #SeaOfThieves streamed since launch!
March 31: Hope you guys enjoyed that 30+ hour stream nap time.
Cletus
Hates Everyone Equally
Hates Everyone Equally

Post by Cletus »

Hercy wrote:So a Twitch streamer called Prod1gyX got to Pirate Legend a couple of days ago by getting his followers to invite him to their sessions when they were just about to turn in loot, thereby letting him share in the gold. By avoiding the grind, he beat everyone else who had been trying. Anyway, long story short: Pirate Legend unlocks a new costume, and some new voyages which involve... killing skeletons, collecting chickens, and digging up chests. Oh, and a new shipwright who says that Legendary ship skins are coming soon.

The Sea of Thieves "community" are quite triggered about it. Some saying it's cheating (it's not) and people are demanding that Rare ban the guy for using an exploit to reach legend. Either way, it just shows everyone early on that reaching legend pretty much isn't worth the effort. In my opinion, he did the community a favour.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Hercy wrote:He's streamed the whole lot on Twitch. So unless his flatmate sounds just like him...

He's done a few 30 hour continuous streams. Look at his Twitter account:

March 20: Awesome 30 Hour @SeaOfThieves stream. Catch you guys in a few hours to continue
March 22: Another long stream! 26 Hours of grinding @SeaOfThieves Time to get some sleep
March 23: 3 24 Hour + streams in a row
March 27: Yo the cast today was insane! You guys were crazy with the support. Hope you all enjoyed that 31 Hour stream. That's around 140+ Hours of @SeaOfThieves #SeaOfThieves streamed since launch!
March 31: Hope you guys enjoyed that 30+ hour stream nap time.
Obviously he's on methamphetamine then!
cloud
Hard Cun...too much?
Hard Cun...too much?
XBL ID: ACE VENCLOUDY
PSN ID: ACEVENCLOUDY

Post by cloud »

Boarded a ship, raised the anchor, deployed full sails, then bailed..goty.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

So how's this going? It won PC Gamer's 'Best Ongoing Game' award for 2019. I've seen lestat on some nights. It must be doing ok. Is it a viable single player game?
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I have been back on it with some mates who played it with me at launch and we have been enjoying it, played it several nights in a row now for about 14 hours. Things I've noticed:

New ship type, medium sized with 3 person crew

Row boats and row boats with harpoons that have changed getting treasure off islands etc and delivering it. When you find one you can dock it on the back of your boat so when you get to a island you can all jump in the row boat and then load all the treasure on it and go back to the ship.

Harpoons on the boat, you can harpoon your crew and loot up so isntead of people needing to swim back to the boat you can harpoon them from the coast or they can drop loot there and you can grab it that way, same with things in the ocean, this keeps the game flowing well.

New cannonball types, the fire cannonballs especially can throw chaos in the mix

NPC ships means that there's no longer that game you just get on and spend the whole game seemingly in a vacuum not seeing another soul for five hours. Regularly were running into combat and it built the tension that when we were loading up our ship with lots of stuff that there's a very good chance someones going to come along and try and take it. We also had the opportunity to do the same to others with a few times sailing along and then noticing another ship pulling up to an outpost or another island and then rolling past and stealing their stuff.

Sea monsters - we have run away still not sure how to battle them or what you get from them

There's probably other stuff but in Adventure mode these changes mean it's much more engaging now as the balance seems to be there now that they aimed for at the start between exploring with your crew and then coming across dangers. I only got back into it by chance but it's been a pleasant surprise.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

They've added a lot of features like Froggy has detailed and fleshed out the experience so it's now quite enjoyable with a good crew.

I play it with my brother and kids, my brother is pirate legend so he drags me along and we do some of the endgame content.

I'm glad MS has let Rare continue to grow the game, it's quite unique in execution and one of the few enjoyable online co-op games right now.