Far Cry 5

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Far Cry 5

Post by GameHED »

Coming out tomorrow. Anyone else here buying?

reviews seem positive overall:
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/far-cry-5-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... ic-reviews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems to be the best one from what I have heard..(return of the grappling hook and wingsuit, co-op mode etc) :up:
They need to bring this series to switch now... Al the indie devs seem to be doing ok leaving steam/pc to go to switch, so I don't see how triple A companies should be any different. (heard that Ys VIII is getting ported to switch whoohoo! )
Last edited by GameHED on 27 Mar 2018 01:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Re: Far Cry 5

Post by pilonv1 »

I'm not falling for positive reviews again, I will wait for unbiased impressions here as usual
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Here is the thing: when a game is just more of the same thing from an established big triple A developer it isn't unreasonable to think the game is going to not suck if you actually liked previous games of the series in the past. (I'll admit I like open world games so maybe I am a softy and the illuminati has obtained total control of my mind through the nanobots in the chemtrails.)

Unbiased reviews are everywhere not just here(search youtube* for smaller channels by the honest guys who aren't under as much temptation to turn to the dark side yet. I recommend ACG - very quick and on time, funny, hard working and honest) . You just got to go to this site to find out which places are not corrupt and go from there (note USGamer is still pretty reliable. only 1 issue so far :up: and no negative stuff about this particular reviewer yet... ):

http://deepfreeze.it/outlet.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*but youtube has recently gone evil so yeah go to bitchute if possible if there are mirror of content. All because the left wing extremeist lost an election. This is the power that politicians have to destroy the things we like once they invade our spaces. Always have a plan B, C, D etc to escape to when collectivists/thought police take over the social media platforms and censor ideas that do not align with the commie and nazi. If corporations and big government are telling you not to do something, do it. Remove your energy from the system by sapping them of the battery like neo in the matrix. It's all about leverage. Not enough honest people have left youtube yet which is worrying.

related:
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I still need to finish off 4, but from what I can see doesn't seem to offer much over what 4 had besides the different setting.

I wonder if this will suffer from series fatigue, I'll watch the prices over the next few weeks.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Eurogamer's review not quite so good.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Polygon review is worse. The criticism of this series is the same - trying to run a high production, coherent story alongside a bonkers open world.

I’m winding up my first FC3 playthrough which I’ve loved. I just bought FC4 + season pass which will do me for a while. I’ll pick up FC5 after that.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Giant Bomb doesn't like it either.

I'll be avoiding this until it's dirt cheap.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Game is too expansive, from a quick search I can’t find it cheap online ( PC).

FC4 was my last Far Cry I played, and after 20-30hrs I was tired of it, but that was a couple of years ago.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

The problem is each base/tower really doesn't have any uniqueness to it, it all gets a bit repetitive and the impact of story missions gets lost in the repetitive grind.

My favorite far cry game to date is blood dragon, the open world wasn't as large and it mostly just focuses on the story campaign missions and had excellent humor, weapons. 8-10hrs you were done but at that length the environment doesn't feel tired.

I'm interested to see what they do with the DLC in this one, I have feeling like blood dragon the smaller spin off side games will be overall more fun and entertaining.

Last edited by lestat on 27 Mar 2018 04:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

lestat wrote:I still need to finish off 4, but from what I can see doesn't seem to offer much over what 4 had besides the different setting.

I wonder if this will suffer from series fatigue, I'll watch the prices over the next few weeks.
I don't really think the problem here is series fatigue - we get a "main" release every two years, which far more palatable than Call of Duty 2K18 or whatever approach. I think it's a case of they completely knocked it out of the park with Far Cry 3. It's easily one of the best FPSes I've ever played, with one of the best plots and character development arcs in the genre. Far Cry 4 though, didn't feel like much more than a graphical upgrade and a Minecraft-style point release to FC3. The story was OK, but not engaging enough for me to actually hunger seeing it to the end. It looks like FC5 suffers the same fate even further, which is a shame...
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

FC3 was the last one I played, probably wouldn't buy another.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I loved FC3 and Blood Dragon.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

t0mby wrote:FC3 was the last one I played, probably wouldn't buy another.
A good place to stop, tbh.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

lestat wrote:The problem is each base/tower really doesn't have any uniqueness to it, it all gets a bit repetitive and the impact of story missions gets lost in the repetitive grind.
The hallmarks of the Ubisoft Game.
My favorite far cry game to date is blood dragon, the open world wasn't as large and it mostly just focuses on the story campaign missions and had excellent humor, weapons. 8-10hrs you were done but at that length the environment doesn't feel tired.
Still need to finish that one. And Watch Dogs 2 which is quite good too.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

I’ve enjoyed the tower climbs in FC3. The platforming is a good change of pace from the main game.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

lestat wrote:The problem is each base/tower really doesn't have any uniqueness to it, it all gets a bit repetitive and the impact of story missions gets lost in the repetitive grind.

I'm interested to see what they do with the DLC in this one, I have feeling like blood dragon the smaller spin off side games will be overall more fun and entertaining.

Interesting that you mention Blood Dragon. There is news the guy behind that left ubisoft and may work on the kind of stuff you are into.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/far-c ... 0-6457653/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would like to see something akin to an Expendables franchise in videogame form. (that isn't Expendables but is inspired by the 80s actions flicks that appealed to the older audiences who watched them all as kids and are ok with games that don't take themselves too seriously)

Put in cheesy one liners and over the top 80s gore (think robocop the R rated version where ED 209 won't stop shooting for ages) and I'm in. Indie games can get away with the more risky niche stuff and this is needed if you want your games to have a soul and some personality to them. Triple A gaming is all about appealing to as many dickheads as you can while not offending anything. It's why the wolfenstein character lost his balls in the second game. Thanks to sweden being so cucked. :P (face it the feminists won by trying to emasculate action heroes and its the reason they are giving shit reviews to anything that isn't pro-female empowerment - we are stuck with these people forever now that gaming is mainstream and not a niche hobby)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Peppermint Lounge wrote:I’ve enjoyed the tower climbs in FC3. The platforming is a good change of pace from the main game.
It's not so much that they were not enjoyable or fun, but they are featured in too many ubisoft games. It's like GPS markers in Bethesda RPG.
This is why people were so pleased to see that despite Zelda BOTW having towers like ubisoft game they didn't overdo the discovery side of exploration by telling you absolutely everything. It's much better design to make the player go to a place to unlock information to keep up the mystery. And it worked. FC5 hopes to fix that problem by lessening the reliance of towers which is a step in the right direction imo.

I like open world genre but I miss the feeling of being surprised that we have from older gaming. Things should be able to jump out of the floor or cover and ambush you once in a while to remind you that the world isn't just you hiding from others but that other people live in that world and want to spy on YOU if you travel too loudly and don't sneak as much. Zelda got that balance right I think and noise and speed of travel factors in whether you invite danger on your journey.

Elder scrolls games always punished you for fast travel a lot by increasing the chance of being followed by someone and ambushed when you got to your destination but it was more of a background thing that you didn't have control over. This kind of mechanic needs to be in all open world games imo.. If you attract attention by making too much sudden movement and noise and abuse fast travel too much, then the bad guy will sneak up on you and you can be surprised. Sometimes travelling light and going slow and sneaky is better than rushing. Doing it careful also gives you an excuse to pay attention to small details and clues. In adventure games not all the interesting mystery has to be in the dungeon but in the overworld. That's how you keep people from getting bored due to repetition. You got to get their brains constantly thinking about the local area as if it were a real place with unique stuff in it that defines that place. Ubisoft rushes their shit and as a result you FEEL like you've seen everything long before completing everything. Because of the cut and paste design. It's a lesson all companies making open world games need to learn. (apparently Elex did a good job of trying to make each location feel unique) Storytelling isn't just about the story in the game but how a player is fed subtle information through the world and the effect it has on them. (eg metroid slowly and gradually introduces horror as you get deeper and deeper into it. Diablo gives you gradually more darker and demonic creatures that closer you get to hell etc and the player feels more vulnerable despite being more powerful and grinding so he now has to pay attention as the rules change)
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Eurogamer review said it was meh.

But I'm not too surprised by it as they said that about Horizon Zero Dawn and everyone here loved that. :P
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Play some dust2 in Farcry Arcade.

https://www.pcgamer.com/you-can-play-de ... ltiplayer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty cool.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Found a bug. There is a safe that has a door open but where the empty space would be since the door is swung open, there is another door and it is shut. The safe is both open and shut at the same time thanks to having 2 doors. It's in dutch's underground bunker.

So far it's just more of the stuff from previous games with flatter terrain. Would have loved the option to be allowed to switch character on the fly to control the gun for hire or fang for hire. You know how in Call of Duty Ghosts how you could control the dog directly and sneak kill the the enemies as the animal crouchin in the tall grass for cover? Far Cry needs that feature in all games now that you can have animal friends as squad members...The advantage of animals is they are naturrally faster runners than human and I want to lunge at peoples throats by dash-jump-attacking them for quick kills. Let us play as and control animals directly for the next game please. No different from using drones in countless other titles but with a trained animal instead. Also as a dog I want to be able to track prey animals by sniffing around. Finding them and catching them by chasing them down as a dog or big cat or a bear would be ten times easier than as a bipedal human character.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

A bug in a console game :lol:
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Schrodingers Safe. :lol:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

More tempted to install and finally finish Far Cry 3 after Pep talked about it again.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Native 4k on Xbone X, pretty impressive considering it's open world and looks amazing.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

Yep the console ports were handled well. So far it runs smooth without choppy frames and upclose details are nice. Maybe because this game isn't having to cater to last gen console too so the developers can focus on the current gen only. FC4 was multiple gen release.

One thing I have noticed is you don't see the animation for carving the animals up. This is what I mean by third parties being careless and rushing things to market. You always get the 'rough around the edges' feel.

The core of the game feels good but I don't like the idea that the story mission automatically takes over in the middle of you doing shit. It feels like you have no power to avoid the kidnapping bits and I prefer a more organic approach like the GTA games with wanted levels letting you know how determined the guys are so you can at least prepare how to escape if things get too hairy. (make escaping them the fun of survival too. Make that a game itself and allow players to focus on enhancing the effect of the speed drugs or other defense related skills)

I think games should be more like sims where the gameplay drives the story not the other way around. Your story is going to be shittier than just watching an action movie. So why bother trying to make the story sound important but end up being shit anyway? Focus on player choice/decision to craft the experience. (eg if you kill lots of civilians some angry mobs attack you and try to hunt you down as a result of your behavior and this can either make you more careful during fire fights if you wish to avoid combat, .... or encourage you to be a mindless killer by rewarding you with perks based on that rogue behavior. (For example you get a perk that lets you get more loot from killed civilians than normal people, but more random encounters with bounty hunters which interrupt your normal fights. This lets you play a bad behaving character without feeling too punished and you develop backstory based on your action. Think of Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z for instance: yes you kill people but that also includes other bad guys along with good guys so they fear/respect you to not try anything)
Last edited by GameHED on 01 Apr 2018 09:34 am, edited 1 time in total.