Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: RAGE 2

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Reviews are all over the place. This is one of the more positive:
The interplay between the AI, your abilities, the physics of the world, and your guns is some of the best I’ve seen, and I never thought I would be saying anything like that about a sequel to Brown Shooter: Apocalypse. There’s much more to this than its kooky, pink-hued marketing campaign. If you sleep on it, you’re sleeping on one of the best – if not the best – single-player FPS games of this generation.
https://www.vg247.com/2019/05/13/rage-2-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Picking it up today. Doom combat in an open world for $58 has me sold.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

Picked it up on PC from JB for $58. Installing now through Bethesda launcher. Hopefully it's real good! Once I (eventually) upgrade my PC, this game will be played in glorious 4K!
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Note the retail keys are Besthesda Launcher keys.

That's kinda making me wait for a steam sale a bit. I'm already overwhelmed with too many launchers/accounts now.

Gamegpu benches are out btw. Looks more demanding that I was expecting. 2080Ti can't do 60fps at 4k. :shock:

There must be a setting at Ultra that kills performance.

https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/ ... DMk.reddit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4k Max settings with textures like this. :sick:

Seems rushed. I hear Performance on X at 1080p doesn't hold 60fps well.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Console framerate test.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Lots of complaints about blurry visuals that don't measure up to preview vision. Recommend switching resolution scaling off and configure settings for performance at your display's native resolution. Don't know what they've rolled out for the consoles but the visuals in the comparison video above look really bland.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Not using idtech’s engine, but the one used in (JC3/4) is a bummer.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Funny enough because of this slip up, the cracked version is out there now and runs great. ;) :lol: @ Bethesda.
Ambrose Burnside

Got the retail PC version (so the Bethesda Launcher), price matched at EB (where I had it pre-ordered due to birthday gift cards) for $58.

It's $99.95 on Steam.

If retail ever disappears, or PC gaming becomes a fucked up wasteland of storefont exclusives, I'm out. $99.95 will become the norm like the console storefronts :down:

So far I've done the tutorial, cleared a roadblock, and captured my first Ark. Enjoying it so far. Gameplay may become repetitive but I'm not sure if it's long enough for that to become an issue. Assassin's Creed Odyssey is repetitive too but the basic loop is so fun that it's not an issue for me. Hoping Rage 2 is the same.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:Got the retail PC version (so the Bethesda Launcher), price matched at EB (where I had it pre-ordered due to birthday gift cards) for $58.

It's $99.95 on Steam.

If retail ever disappears, or PC gaming becomes a fucked up wasteland of storefont exclusives, I'm out. $99.95 will become the norm like the console storefronts :down:
That's it and sadly people are choosing a higher price so they have the convenience of not having to get up to change discs (console). I'll always be retail first. Twice I've bought a full priced new release on the store, 1 was GTAV back in 2013 and the other was Horizon Zero Dawn in early 2017. GTAV is worthless to me now because I have the PS4 version on disc. HZD will never get played again, well by me.

Anyway, enjoy your game as this old man yells at clouds. :lol:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

Online key stores have been selling Rage 2 Bethesda store keys at $58ish for a while now. Thinking about it now, the last retail box game I bought from a shopfront was FEAR 2 in 2009.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Retail stores have to be selling these games at cost though. It's a fairly recent thing where day 1 releases are sold at ~$60.

I noticed ever since Amazon came onto the scene there has been a bit of price war where the big retail chains are trying to keep amazon out.

Previously to buy day one releases around 50-60 dollar mark meant buying it off key sites, which was just arbing prices from cheaper regions.
Ambrose Burnside

Hotfix:
Removes Denuvo DRM (We saw a few requests.)
Enables Crash Reporter for error reporting
Fixes occasional crash related to Scaleform
Fixes occasional crash on startup
Fixes issue where Bethesda.net users would always default to English
Razer Chroma effects enabled by default
Source

Steam and Bethesda Launcher versions should run the same now.
Ambrose Burnside

First major patch is out (a bit over 800MB). Full patch notes don't seem available yet, but there was this a week ago:
Hey all. First, a big ‘thank you’ to everyone who has been playing RAGE 2 and kicking butt in the wasteland! We appreciate all the feedback we’ve been getting from you and fellow players throughout the Steam boards. We've been collecting all your feedback and reports of issues. The dev team is hard at work on implementing new features and bug fixes for our first big patch for the game, coming in June.

We wanted to take a minute to cover just some of the reported issues we are working to address:

Audio fixes, such as NPC audio dips
Menu optimizations (reduction in latency)
Several crash fixes
Racing bug issues, including finishing in 1st place but receiving 2nd place (how rude!)
Reducing the amount of Wasteland Wizard locations (from 15 to 3!)
A dialog prompt issue with Kvasir
Mouse acceleration/smoothing options
New AMD sharpness algorithm for all platforms (to address “blurry” complaints)
Nicholas Raine armor fix

Again, this is just some of what we’re addressing in our first game update. We will be providing a full list of patch notes as we get closer to finalizing everything that will be included in the update.

Outside of squashing bugs, the team is also working on adding new features to the game. We’ve seen the feedback that you want to be able to revisit some of the bandit camps that you’ve previously cleared. We love that feedback! In the near future, select bandit camps that you’ve cleared are going to be repopulated at an even higher difficulty with a reward incentive. The best part? The challenge is ongoing, so you can test your skills as you attempt to clear the outposts again and again, with the outposts getting more difficult each time. More details to come.
Source

I'm 20 hours into it with no end in sight. Game is massive and amazing.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Rage 2 has flopped harder than Rage 1 did.

I did notice talk about this game came to a very quick screaming halt and it disappeared on a lot of charts very quickly.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/ ... 7dbb426cd3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gamesindustry.biz reports that Rage 2 is selling just a quarter of the physical copies of Rage 1. Granted, that was 2011, so more physical games were sold back then, but even estimating that half of new game sales now are digital, that would still leave Rage 2 selling about half what the original did. Not to mention the market overall has continued to expand substantially in the last eight years.
Time to put it on Gamepass bethesda.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

It appeared to have good mouth of mouth initially, if inconsistent. Will pick up on sale at some point.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Peppermint Lounge
The End

It started slow, the gameplay trailers elevated it then the reception/reviews steered many back to apathy. I'll hold out to get it cheap which I suspect won't be a long wait.
Ambrose Burnside

It satisfied my id cravings for now and post-release support has been pretty good too. Felt I definitely got my $50-odd worth out of it having played it for ~30 hours.

Doom Eternal will be better.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Fired this up recently thanks to gamepass. Really enjoying myself with it, it's like a madmax version of crysis with the nano suit. The gameplay loop is quite fun, sure the story won't win any awards but it's serviceable. The gameplay designers feel like the same ones that worked on doom eternal, a lot of similarities in the gunplay/abilities and overall feel of the combat.

They also must have fixed the engine/textures because I'm running everything at ultra and textures look really detailed, nothing like the pics I posted above ages ago. Runs great too, getting 120-144fps.

Definitely worth a look in if you have gamepass imo.
Vince
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Vince »

lestat wrote:Fired this up recently thanks to gamepass. Really enjoying myself with it, it's like a madmax version of crysis with the nano suit. The gameplay loop is quite fun, sure the story won't win any awards but it's serviceable. The gameplay designers feel like the same ones that worked on doom eternal, a lot of similarities in the gunplay/abilities and overall feel of the combat.

They also must have fixed the engine/textures because I'm running everything at ultra and textures look really detailed, nothing like the pics I posted above ages ago. Runs great too, getting 120-144fps.

Definitely worth a look in if you have gamepass imo.
I love Rage 2. The gunplay feels so good. I love the world even though it is quite empty in places. Enjoyed my time playing it. Highly recommended.
Ambrose Burnside

Definitely worth it, I had a blast. A nice companion piece to Doom Eternal.