More gameplay on Nightmare mode, looks bonkers. :o
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: Doom Eternal gameplay quakecon

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

If DOOM 2016 was the proof of concept, DOOM Eternal is the masterwork. A single chord or musical phrase expanded into an all-encompassing symphony of cartoon hyperviolence. An experience that feels quite unlike anything else in the first-person space. It’s this sentiment that makes the whole 1993 connection more profound than a simple point of reference. To put it another way, DOOM Eternal is the vision of a genre that went in a different direction after we traded in 2D sprites for vast 3D polygonal worlds.

Instead of linear battlefields, scripted action sequences, cinematics worthy of a Hollywood feature, and the drive towards the realistic – the single-player side of the genre became something else. DOOM Eternal is that something else, a release that feels as relevant and iconic today as the original did back in the day.
AusGamers
Simply put, Doom Eternal is one of the best first-person shooter campaigns I’ve played in years. As the second game of its kind it’s lost some of its novelty but none of the joy of its intense and furious combat style. This excellent refinement of the already outstanding 2016 reboot makes you an unspoken deal: if you can keep up with it, it will keep up with you. It continually teaches you how to play faster, smarter, and more efficiently, with lots of options at every step of the way to tailor fights to your prefered slaying style, and it’s an absolute blast along the way.
IGN
Doom Eternal leaves me undecided. The game is fundamentally the 2016 reboot again with new props, and its dogged commitment to Doom's narrative universe is as baffling as the firefights are exhilarating. Is this really all Doom can be, nowadays - a cascade of collectables, unwanted cutscenes and the spectacle of a gurning demon face, forever?
Eurogamer (being all edgy and shit)
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I am very annoyed that I can't preload Doom 64...
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

So, um... I'm really not feeling it.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Ambrose Burnside

Downloaded and installed (same with Doom 64). Waiting for Joshua to go down for his nap today before I bust it out.

CANNOT WAIT

One good thing about no MP at launch is that it's only about 30GB compared to 2016's insanity.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

alright, so I think I'm on level 3, and I'm still not feeling it. It's almost like a parody of itself in some respects; everything is just so over the top.

Specifically though, I can't cope with the monster sounds. They're just so lame and unthreatening.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

I started it last night, up to level 3 as well.

Graphics are definitely a nice improvement and I'm getting excellent performance on ultra nightmare settings. Seems to run 144fps 99% of the time, input lag and mouse aiming feels amazing, very snappy and smooth.

It's quite different, I feel like we've jumped ahead in time quite a bit in this game. A bit lost on the story so far.

The gameplay feels very different and same with the movement compared to 2016 doom. It's a lot faster, enemies can move around a lot quicker, projectiles are fast and you run out of ammo quick. The game forces you to use a rhythm now of shooting, melee, chainsaw, flamthrower. Otherwise you run of out health or ammo quickly. There are a lot of systems now and it feels overly complex compared to 2016 doom. I've seen other comments on steam/reddit where fans of 2016 don't like these new combat changes.

I've gotten the hang of it but yeah I'm in two minds about it as well, some of the enemies are also really annoying to fight, like the spider bots they first throw at you, they just spam the screen full of fast balls and their weakpoint at different angles is tricky to hit. The health pools are too large also considering the amount of the damage they can inflict on you. Actually I hate the weak spot thing now. Shooting anywhere but the weakspot seems extremely ineffective now. I've completed the challenge on level 2 and it took several retries because you get overwhelmed super quick and one shotted a lot. I found shoot, melee, chainsaw and then dash is what you need to, need to keep moving. As soon as you stop or get trapped in a corner, you're toast. The dash is really important now. For reference I'm playing on ultra-violence difficulty.

The platforming changes, I sorta like and it makes the levels a little more interesting to traverse. I'll keep playing because I am enjoying myself, just a lot different than I was expecting.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

The tech improvements in this one are substantial, puts idtech7 in a good spot for future games.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Oh, the game looks amazing, and performs amazingly. On my 2070, I get ~90fps on Ultra Nightmare quality at 2560x1600.

I particularly hate having to upgrade things for better ammo capacity, armour, and health though. Is this Doom or Far Cry? Not to mention just how fucking useless the melee attack is on its own. An I seriously meant to believe the overly muscled Doom Guy can't beat down a scrawny zombie?
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Doom Eternal gameplay quakecon

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

I’m not liking what I’m hearing about this and that includes the things it’s being lauded for. All the talk about it being a violent version of chess, ‘forcing’ players to use particular weapons and tactics, turns me off. Keen to try it but it can wait.
Ambrose Burnside

unfnknblvbl wrote:Oh, the game looks amazing, and performs amazingly. On my 2070, I get ~90fps on Ultra Nightmare quality at 2560x1600.

I particularly hate having to upgrade things for better ammo capacity, armour, and health though. Is this Doom or Far Cry? Not to mention just how fucking useless the melee attack is on its own. An I seriously meant to believe the overly muscled Doom Guy can't beat down a scrawny zombie?
So far this matches my experience pretty much exactly.

In Doom 2016 I felt like I was constantly "in the zone" flying around the arenas like death incarnate. It was fucking awesome. It was like my hands were reacting before my brain was comprehending what was happening.

In Doom Eternal, I feel the opposite, my brain knows what's happening, but my hands are randomly hitting keys and hoping for the best. Punch the broken wall to smash through, oh shit I just dropped a grenade at my feet, OK lets torch this bastard for armour oops I chainsawed him for ammo I don't need etc. I'm hoping this is just a lack of experience and it'll all "click" at some point.

There are too many systems. Upgrades for upgrades. Doom 2016 set the scene early when Doomguy punches the computer to shut it up. This one has Doomguy kneeling to some ghost king who blabbers on about something something? Let me rip and tear ffs.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

The game changes radically once you get the super shotgun, feels like the whole game was balanced around that weapon and chain pull.

Once you get that weapon you can easily seek out imps and chainpull, chainsaw for instant ammo refill, keep moving and alternate between flame thrower and melee execution to refill armor/health as needed.

Loving it, once you get the hang of the rhythm the game gets much easier, especially as you level up your guns and suit.

The game forces you to use the right weapon for the right enemy, I find running around mostly with super shotgun as default and quickly switching to the weapon required to take down the enemy fast.
Ambrose Burnside

Good to hear, I'm not up to there yet. Most recent weapon I got was the plasma gun.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:In Doom 2016 I felt like I was constantly "in the zone" flying around the arenas like death incarnate. It was fucking awesome. It was like my hands were reacting before my brain was comprehending what was happening.

In Doom Eternal, I feel the opposite, my brain knows what's happening, but my hands are randomly hitting keys and hoping for the best. Punch the broken wall to smash through, oh shit I just dropped a grenade at my feet, OK lets torch this bastard for armour oops I chainsawed him for ammo I don't need etc. I'm hoping this is just a lack of experience and it'll all "click" at some point.

There are too many systems. Upgrades for upgrades. Doom 2016 set the scene early when Doomguy punches the computer to shut it up. This one has Doomguy kneeling to some ghost king who blabbers on about something something? Let me rip and tear ffs.
Oh, this. So much this. Doom 2016 was a visceral experience, and even though I had major issues with the obvious area battles, I didn't care about them while I was playing it. Doom Eternal though, obfuscates the arenas to some extent but stymies the flow of the gameplay. Pick up a new item? Time for a tutorial. See a new enemy? Time for a tutorial! And the endless upgrades! That shit makes sense in Far Cry (to some extent), but not in Doom.

Also, it annoys me that Doom64 doesn't have jumping or mouselook
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Finished it today, Incredible game, the final 2 bosses were pretty epic and the final boss was especially sweaty. I don't think I've ever played a FPS this intense.

I took my time and made sure every challenge, secret was found, my doom slayer was pretty much maxed out on all weapons/suit/armor perks. When you complete all the slayer gates you get the unmakyr, which is a BFG alternative you can switch with weapon mod.

I didn't mind the story, it is a bit corny and silly but at least it gave some context for the levels and stuff you were doing. 10/10 FPS of the generation for me.
Ambrose Burnside

I got past an annoying platformy part that was annoying me and then there was a satisfying battle to end the level.

Still early on, but the platformy bits are annoying. I quite like actual platformers, but so far in Doom Eternal I jump from one platform to the next and I'm sometimes not even sure where I'm going and somehow end up where I'm meant to be. Like I didn't plan it, it was almost automatic, like I throw myself against a rock face and somehow pull myself up when mid-air I could see there was no way up, it was a huge wall of rock and I was heading towards its midpoint.

The battles are becoming more fun.
AgOnNy
Late onset ADHD
Late onset ADHD
XBL ID: AgOnNy
PSN ID: AgOnNy
Steam ID: AgOnNy

Post by AgOnNy »

Got this yesterday, played a little last night and more today. Actually loving it, probably moreso that it runs smooth as butter on my new rig. Felt all giddy putting the resolution at 4k, then ramping up all the visuals to ultra nightmare.
MiNiStRy
Occasionally Overlooks Gravity.
XBL ID: MiNiStRyS
PSN ID: MiNiStRy
Steam ID: MiNiStRyS

Post by MiNiStRy »

I was on the fence about getting this for my pc but I think I'm going to bite the bullet. I've found it from eneba for $74 anybody know of a better deal?
Ambrose Burnside

Finished the third or fourth level last night, cultist temple or something, got the super shotgun, and it's coming together very nicely.
Ambrose Burnside

Well and truly hooked now. The story can still go and get fucked, but the game itself? :up:
Spoiler!
Got the BFG, shot a hole in fucking Mars, and launched myself onto the planet via a cannon on Phobos :lol: So good :lol:
Ambrose Burnside

The Steam versions of Doom and Doom 2 have been updated to match the new Bethesda versions on the Bethesda store and Xbox One, PS4 etc.

The original DOS versions are still included as an option at start up too.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

Ray tracing update is out. The game looks great with RT on, and the performance hit isn't all that bad. But then, this game already looked fantastic anyway.

DLSS is included, but for some reason when I enable it on my system, my framerate tanks to 19, no matter what I do.
Mavy
XBL ID: Mavy
PSN ID: iwantalogin

Post by Mavy »

A vid I watched today said to use DRS with DLSS though not as a solution to your issue though.

Drivers?
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber

Post by unfnknblvbl »

yeah, drivers... for the first time ever in any game, I got a message when starting Doom Eternal to go download the latest drivers, sooo I dunno.