XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Sekiro: Shadows die twice gamescom

Post by lestat »

FROM delivering again, looks stunning and confirmed for release next march. Day 1!!!! :up:
flipswitch
que
que

Re: Sekiro: Shadows die twice gamescom

Post by flipswitch »

PC for me with best shadow quality option set.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Loot box shit.
If it's fun like Zelda BOTW I am all in.

From should have just went back to King's Field series and reimagined the first person RPG to compete directly with Bethesda.

But this will do. That other From software game also looks pretty cool too:
Main producer worked on: FATE/Extella The Umbral Star, Monster Hunter: Stories, Souls Sacrifice Delta, Blue Dragon Plus, Lost Odyssey, Armored Core: Silent Line, 2, 3 and Nexus. The Character Designer worked on: No More Heroes series, Fire Emblem since Awakening, Ace Combat: Assault Horizon and XENOBLADE Chronicles 2. Main Designer worked on Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, Armored Core: Silent Line, 1, 2; Omega Boost and Tech Romancer. Both Directors directed Monster Hunter: Stories.
I think the only reason they made this ninja game is because they saw Nioh and then got scared that someone else was going to eat their lunch. Now they have to beat Nioh to eliminate their rival. Very sickening. Should have done a mech warrior type rpg action game instead.
Now every game coming out is going to be ninjas and samurais. Just like how every game in the past had to have a fucking zombie in it.
HAs anyone ever thought people wanted mechs vs zombies in alien environments? Nope. We will probably have to wait for the next kirby game for that.

Also still waiting for Deep Down on the ps4.. it should be out any minute now. (jim sterling is in the trailer)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

flipswitch wrote:PC for me with best shadow quality option set.
The PC version was on the floor, confirmed running 4k@60fps.

Console versions are said to be targeting resolution first and framerate second, so that just means 30fps on console.

I just recently went through Dark Souls 3 on PC and that ran nicely at 4k 60fps, looked fabulous and I expect this to be a similar experience.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I can't do it, this looks exactly like Nioh..
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Currently playing through Nioh right now, I have a love/hate relationship with the game, I love the tight feeling ninja gaiden combat but I hate how much everything one shots you in the game and there are so many enemies that are massive damage sponges. I love the Feudal Japan theme. I'm expecting Sekiro to get it "right", but yeah this game is not for everyone.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Official Launch trailer, the game does look incredible.
Early performance on consoles showed a variable framerate, if I grab it, definitely going the PC version.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Not sure why you'd buy any game on console over a PC version if there is a PC version...
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Cheaper, trade-in/resale. Performance differential between PC/console can be a non factor on the X.

Anyways I ended up preordering it off Amazon, $62 for the PC version right now. Best I've seen so far, key sites are selling it for $~80.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Review are starting to come out.

Currently at 90MC with 10 reviews. :up:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playsta ... ice?ref=hp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

My amazon copy arrived, I've been watching streams and man people are getting destroyed, this looks way harder than DS/Nioh/BB.

Glad I went PC, console versions are garbage.
Why FROM still struggles with frame pacing after all these years is mind boggling. PC version runs great though, 60fps solid on medium to high end hardware.

I look forward to getting my arse handed to me tonight. :up:
flipswitch
que
que

Sekiro: Shadows die twice gamescom

Post by flipswitch »

I’d love to get this but I said to myself I’m not going to buy anything until I clear up my ever expanding backlog of games, the latest being RE2:Remake(PC)

I have so many titles including ones I’ve bought and haven’t touched.

I had to start GOW from the beginning when I returned to it last week because it was so long since I last played it, and would likely get my arse kicked.

Who ever buys this, good luck!
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I want to but every video I watch I think of Nioh and the chore that was at the end. Anyone seen any reviews that have commented on any similarities? I can't seem to find any.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

So Yeah there is a huge gap in difficulty between normal mobs and bosses. The frustrating aspect is the boss battles are all about parrying, you do fuck all normal strike damage and the move list is extremely limited. Even with parrying I've found beating a boss is all about learning to parry certain attacks well that seem to build up their posture meter more than other attacks. There's definitely a skill wall you can't overcome via grinding/levelling

Runs solid 60fps on PC, I have it max'd out at 1440p, seems to be using around 50% gpu, I notice 1 CPU core is always close to 100%, so I guess the console versions are suffering due to the weaker cpu. Visually the game looks muddy to me, I don't know I expected it to look better.

I got stuck on the drunkard boss last night, but I tried again fresh this morning and beat him, now onto lady butterfly. I don't know the combat isn't as enjoyable as I thought it would be. Dark souls/Nioh enemies/bosses never felt this annoying and spongy, I think Nioh did it better with the combat. My opinion might change as I get deeper and unlock more abilities. Good thing is you still earn XP and don't seem to lose it every time you die and retry, most of the skills are tied to those skill points, not sure what the money is useful for yet besides buying consumables, there is a death penalty(50% loss) there that you can never recover which is annoying.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Progressed further, took down lady butterfly and Horseman Oniwa, managed to level my health and attack power a few times now. The combat is starting to click, learning it's better to block a little early, even if you don't land the parry, landing the block is essential, too many things can one shot you. Also finding that evading with jumps is better than ground dodging a lot of the time, you can unlock a skill that allows to you block/parry in mid air, unlock that and you can evade in the air safely most of the time.

Looking at steam achievements, the final bosses are at 0% completion. So yeah I get the feeling reviewers got a version of the game with difficulty turned down quite a bit.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Got a bit more play time last night, took down Genichiro. Now the 2nd half of the game opens up, Once you get a few prayer beads and attack power upgrades, the game becomes more manageable. The difficulty ramp is just messed up in the early game. It does feel good though when you nail the deflect sequences and become really good at reading the enemy attack patterns, but I wish there was more offensive awesomeness. I feel your attack options are lackluster and the enemies have all the cool combos and attacks.

Speared enemies in this game are massively overpowered with the speed of their swings and reach, A spear swing is much slower than a sword swing, spears are good for pokes, but ineffective close range, in this game they're like 10 ft swords.

I'll continue to slog through it and finish it because I feel compelled too(not looking forward to that final boss fight), but I wouldn't recommend the game to others. There is a lot here that is amazing and there is a lot that's just bad game design imo, with terrible difficulty spikes, a kick you when your down death system in a game where you're going to die a lot. Also compared to the dark souls games, there is much less interesting variation in area details, enemies and loot.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Cleared through all the bosses and mini bosses now, I just have 2 left. The demon of hatred and Isshin sword saint.

As I've spent more time with it, I certainly have become a lot quicker and my natural reflexes are usually the right ones now. So some of these late game bosses have only taken me 2-3 attempts usually to sus out their attack patterns and get a good idea of when I should attack. Some have gone down the first go. The game does recycle a lot of bosses in the later parts of the game also.

So far the game is sitting between 8.5-9/10 for me, it's very challenging but the challenge is on the games terms, there isn't the flexibility and play style variety that souls games usually have. Most areas also are a bit uninteresting to explore and kinda small, you just get a lot of back to back bosses because of that. The game also lacks badly when it comes to loot. In souls games the reward for downing certain bosses was access to cool weapons/armor, here you just get a prayer bead or attack boost, a lot of it is very uninteresting.

I have to say though, the animation work done by From here is amazing, the way the swords deflect/interact, it's unlike anything I've seen before, definitely captures the feel of clashing sword fights perfectly. Although lacking in mob variety, there are tonne of interesting boss fights. Visuals look great on PC, nice draw distances and some good character model work here and there, runs 60fps on PC but there is still some occasional hitches and I experience times where the game pauses for a whole second. It's something I've seen in dark souls 3 too, someone was saying it's related to blocking socket calls in the rendering thread.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Holy shit, Demon of Hatred is no friggen Joke. Spent a good hour on him last night, half way through that I was thinking to myself I might not be able to do this, he has so much range and damage, he can wipe you out very quickly even with 9 necklace beads, easily the hardest boss in the game.

You need the upgraded flame resistant umbrella, that is essential imo to close the gap on him. I found he tended to have a dead spot under his right flame arm, you gotta hug his butt and watch out for stomps while strafing, then watch for unblockable charges/jumps.

It was so intense when I took him down, that feeling is why Miyazaki games are so good. After that boss fight the game has lifted to 9.5/10 for me. :up:

Found a good end game farming spot(ashina outskirts stairs), just farming skill points to unlock all the rest of the skills.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Killed the final boss Isshin Sword Saint. What an insane boss battle. It was so weird in his last phase, I felt like neo in that final scene where he deflects all of smiths attacks with ease. I could just see everything, like a moment of clarity. Fucking weird feeling. Look forward to Sekiro 2! :up: