GDC talk on MMO - why do loners play them

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

GDC talk on MMO - why do loners play them

Post by GameHED »

This is an interesting topic worth bringing up in today's gaming scene (despite the year uploaded it's relevent today with cacellations of single player titles) where EA is always trying to tell us that only multiplayer games is worth making.
What is the appeal of being the loner in a game designed to be a game where teaming up with people is the focus?
Within any group there are always INTP type personality who love to be in control over everything. A team means chaos. You can't control what happens when other people are factors into whether you are victorious or fail. A loner loves the feeling of being the badass that isn't co-dependent to obtain loot. So if more MMO were designed around these guys, they can make more money because at the end of the day if you are a narcissistic person who has the skill to back up your boast, you want to be able to still play a game designed for team play and still not need others to win. You seek validation from other sources than the outside world and your personal success and merit is how you determine your worth, and not how well you can work with others. It's realistic because there are various skill levels in the real world where a guy who only plays for casual play just to meet people and for social gaming reasons (IE he sees the game as a mere place to hang out with friends and chill) is not going to be as knowledgable as the unemployed incel playing 20 hours a day in his mom's basement and has poor communication skills.

Some games are ruined by bad atmosphere too. Like the Elder Scrolls single player games make you forget that you are in a fake world because there is a lot of things going on in the background that are interesting to look at without being asked for things or groups wanting to chat with you or bugging you to come with them to do things. What if you are tired and just want to immerse yourself into the fantasy world? That is why I prefer the open world genre over MMO which is just people in a race to be the most powerful force in the universe and rape others. It's boring, repetitive and meaningless because nobody is a character in the story anymore. It's like being thrown into a cold world where mercenaries run everything and nobody is friendly but are hurrying to gain power all the time. That to me is not realistic. Some people want to go exploring and not fighting. MMO games are structured to be all about killing stuff not puzzles and survival or knowledge of the area. Fantasy worlds are interesting because they are different from the boring one you live in. It's like traveling to a foreign country. MMO take away the mystery of the fantasy world because people act in very casual manner like they've seen everything in the world already and explored everything meaning there is no sense of danger in going to new places that you get when you play a single player game. (IE like Breath of the Wild)

One of the reasons I am worried about the next fallout game is I hate that it's a multi game. Would much prefer future fallout games be single player RPGS. It's a worrying trend because if the next elder scrolls is a multiplayer experience it will ruin the loner playstyle. I would rather rely on CPU bots/followers than human players if it means more interesting world. But the MMO is infiltrating into the single player gaming sphere. (like feminists and SJW are in pop culture)
If there is a sequel to Kingdom of Amalur Ithink it would be better as a open world single player game with option for campaign co-op, rather than a MMO.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto