Persona
Resident Evil
Ridge Racer Type 4
SaGa Frontier
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo
Tekken 3
Wild Arms
Source

Would have preferred Twisted Metal 2 to the original, and for them to have snuck Vagrant Story in there somewhere. And Parasite Eve on the Western version. Surprised at a few of the inclusions, but pumped for Metal Gear Solid :up:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!

Re: PlayStation Classic: Lineup Revealed

Post by GameHED »

Suikoden 1 and 2 for fucks sake. Those two games alone would have boosted the sales of this thing to high level.
Along with Castlevania SOTN.

The port of Raiden DX would have also been great.

These are games that kind of slipped under people's radar.

Not much capcom love: Street Fighter Alpha 2 and 3 would have been good.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Seems a bit light on games

Was anyone really excited for Battle Arena Toshinden and Rainbow Six?
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Not really feeling it. Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer and MGS are standouts for me but I don't have super fond memories of the generation as a whole. Literally switched off it until the Dreamcast came around. Wish Fade to Black, Loaded and Wipeout 2097 were in there.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Into the bin
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Old games are shit.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

You are the reason old genres die off. (megaman, castlevania, 16-bit platform game sonic, 2d beat em ups, isometric western PC rpgs etc)

Old games are awesome. But you got to take off the nostalgia goggles so that you remind yourself that not everything back in the day was as good as hyped to be.

Recently bought the capcom beat em up collection and reminded how fun old games are. I hope Capcom does a Darkstalkers collection just like they did the Street Fighter collection.

We are all old. So old games are good. If you're new, you like mobile phone games with lootboxes meaning you are shitting up he game industry and in league with EA. Old people are superior. Look at the fallout games: what a fucking mess. Obsidian working for MS now is hopefully going to mean we get RPG mechanics back into new RPG games again.

There is a reason people become fans of old style games: they stay true to old game design philosophy. And in old games there is less pandering to the mass consumers. (maps telling you everything in open world ubisoft games for example) Old games were aimed at actual nerdy people that like to figure things out for themselves. (Super Metroid > Metroid Fusion) When you immerse yourself into the game, you know progress is handed to you on completion of a challenging task not because it went easy on you like new game designs. Eg GTAV plays itself letting you skip gameplay lol. No wonder Saints Row has more fun gameplay - it's a game and feels like a game when you play it, not a story with some gameplay parts as minigames like new titles which are tech demonstration. hehe

Why do you think people like johhny depp has chosen to alter his image to trick people into believing he is dying of aids?
he is sick of the masses trying to control what he does just like the gaming industry which is getting more stale. Imagine working at activision on call of duty for the rest of your life and the game is the same? No variety, no control, the masses telling you to repeat the same thing you did over and over and over. You become like Johnny Depp and stop caring about pleasing the masses because you are stuck making pirates of the caribean until you die. It's humiliating and a waste of your talent. Independent games are far more interesting and unique and there is freedom. (like Treasure back in the megadrive days when people were blown away by amazing fun gameplay that reminds us why we play games, not just the yearly franchise stuff we see now)

Games like Dragonball Fighter Z show passion form developers who were fans of the fighting anime genre doing something they love. It came out at a time when fighting games were getting boring and thanks to the game going back to the older 2d look (not like you SNK, pffft! you sell out) of handrawn cel paintings, it attracted non-fighting gamers to fighting games. Why didn't capcom think of that? Because they think 2d was "old" and want to be cheap and cut corners. They could have evolved and did interesting stuff with that 2d. (just like nintendo does with yoshi games by changing the look and feel of the games but retaining the old gameplay of past) All young people eventually become older and less dumb. Older shit > newer shit.
Why else did ZeldaBOTW get so much praise? because it went back to gameaplay basics of the original NES Zelda game which didn't hold your hands. Rogue-lite games do this and they are an old genre.
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

It's annoying that re-releases and licensing issues would have prevented a lot of games from making the cut. Here's the changes I would make if I had no such restrictions, while still trying to keep the range of genres the same, and making it feel "PlayStation". They only had one 3D platformer on there and I would keep Jumping Flash, so still no Crash or Spyro on my version:

Battle Arena Toshinden -> Bushido Blade or Tobal 2
Cool Boarders 2 -> Tony Hawk 2
Destruction Derby -> Gran Turismo
Final Fantasy 7
Grand Theft Auto -> Wipeout 2097
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash
Metal Gear Solid
Mr Driller
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
Rayman -> Tombi or Klonoa
Resident Evil Director’s Cut -> Resident Evil 2
Revelations: Persona -> Parasite Eve or Vagrant Story
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo -> Parappa the Rappa
Syphon Filter - > Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six -> Quake 2 or Disruptor
Twisted Metal -> Twisted Metal 2
Wild Arms -> Suikoden
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

2 decade-old, 3D games were classics in their time, but I don’t think they have aged well.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Nah man, they haven't aged well. The only games that have would be the 2D ones and a very small handful of 3D ones like Tobal and Einhander.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I think that’s what I was trying to say, lol. They will look terrible.
Ambrose Burnside

It's probably an expensive way to go about it, but I'm mainly getting it for Metal Gear Solid. My PS2 won't load the second disc for some reason. It might be because my PS2 is modded and I have the US version of the game, not sure. I don't have a PS3 so can't grab it that way.
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

Get the PC version?
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

t0mby wrote:Nah man, they haven't aged well. The only games that have would be the 2D ones and a very small handful of 3D ones like Tobal and Einhander.
I don't think many 3D games at all have aged well. I'd say that only the ones that did something stylistically different for technical limitation reasons have aged well. Games like Tobal and Jumping Flash come to mind, but I don't have any burning desire to go back and play many PSX games.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

I just want a Devil Dice box I can plug into the telly. Not sure if I can be arsed importing a JP model though.
GameHED

Post by GameHED »

PS1 best games were the 2d capcom fighting games. The ports were solid despite them not being suitable for a machine with tiny memory and always needing to load from CD. (that's why playing the digital version on vita works so well - no loading problems)

I remember when I first got Street Fighter Alpha 2 and couldn't stop playing. Darkstalkers 3 and Street Fighter Alpha 3 were pretty good too.
N64 was where 3D was at. Objects looked properly solid and games like Zelda OOT and Majora's Mask really defined that generation. When I think about games like Metal Gear Solid I think of how they were presented well but in terms of gameplay they were not doing anything that games like Commandos didn't do on pc already.
One game that stood out for me on PS1 was Wipeout 2097. The music, the look of the game, and the futuristic tracks all made it look like a polished game made with good design. There were certain games on PSX that went under the radar like Castlevania SOTN and Alundra (the closest the sony pony can get to a Zelda game on playstation other than Legacy of Kain lol) which were 2d games, but at the time people craved that 3D. Sad really because it's what killed the Saturn - while sega wanted to continue making the 2D games with more storage space of CD tech, sony was pushing 3d heavily. Games like Raiden 2 DX didn't even get released here. Fuck you sony.. But having said that games like Soul Blade and Dead or Alive were the stand outs so you can' blame them.

Amazing intro of Soul Blade on PSX:
this is what sold people. And people were ready for 2d to just roll over and die. They wanted interesting new tech not handcrafted old looking games which looked beautiful but didn't demonstrate machine power. Thanks to these guys we got shit games like Rayman 3D instead of what they should have done (Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends on Wii U) to keep consistency with the series. While games like Guilty Gear got pretty much ignored:
Ambrose Burnside

F for Fake wrote:Get the PC version?
From what I understand, it's not available on GOG, Steam etc, and is therefore a bitch to get running on modern PCs.

But to be honest I haven't looked into it much. Maybe I should :lol:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/11/27 ... sic-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It’s also worth pointing out almost half of the games included in the PlayStation Classic’s library are the PAL versions, including Tekken 3 and Jumping Flash!, which means they might run at a lower framerate than you remember them depending on your region. In the case of Tekken 3, that 10 frame-per-second loss might significantly dampen the kind of precision that NTSC gamers were afforded back in the ‘90s.
Be warned, half the games are 50hz pal versions. :sick:

I have no idea why they thought that was a good idea.
Hercy
Makes poor choices in hats
XBL ID: Hercy

Post by Hercy »

Holy shit, even the version being sold into the US market has the PAL versions. It's not just Sony putting PAL versions into the Australian version because that's what most people would have experienced in the 90s.

Sony have been so lazy with this product, but it's probably been selling its tits off anyway so who could blame them?
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

lestat wrote:https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/11/27 ... sic-review
It’s also worth pointing out almost half of the games included in the PlayStation Classic’s library are the PAL versions, including Tekken 3 and Jumping Flash!, which means they might run at a lower framerate than you remember them depending on your region. In the case of Tekken 3, that 10 frame-per-second loss might significantly dampen the kind of precision that NTSC gamers were afforded back in the ‘90s.
Be warned, half the games are 50hz pal versions. :sick:

I have no idea why they thought that was a good idea.
Wonder if the 50hz decision was based on the percentage of European games vs Imports. Games that were designed in Europe for PAL ran fine, games that weren't, well, half of us didn't know or care back then.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Hercy wrote:Holy shit, even the version being sold into the US market has the PAL versions. It's not just Sony putting PAL versions into the Australian version because that's what most people would have experienced in the 90s.

Sony have been so lazy with this product, but it's probably been selling its tits off anyway so who could blame them?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's fucking hilarious. That's going to be unplayable for so many people... even before they realise those games are best left a memory.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

PSX Classic will be great to display on your shelf with your other gaming collectables/merchandise, and that’s it.
Ambrose Burnside

Ambrose Burnside wrote:
F for Fake wrote:Get the PC version?
From what I understand, it's not available on GOG, Steam etc, and is therefore a bitch to get running on modern PCs.

But to be honest I haven't looked into it much. Maybe I should :lol:
Well fuck me! :shock:

Appears to work perfectly. On Windows 10 with my wireless Xbox One controller too :up:
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

flipswitch wrote:PSX Classic will be great to display on your shelf with your other gaming collectables/merchandise, and that’s it.
LMAO. So much funny.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

60hz NTSC modes! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.