XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Next Gen Hardware Speculation Thread

Post by lestat »

Info is starting to leak about next gen systems.

We have some scarlet leaks.

Anaconda and lockhart.
According to our sources, there are two consoles currently being prepped, aiming for a 2020 holiday launch — a cheaper "S"-style console, to succeed the Xbox One S, and a more beastly "X"-style console, to succeed the Xbox One X. The codename for the "S 2" seems to be "Lockhart," and the codename for the "X 2" seems to be "Anaconda," which may also be serving as a dev kit.

The next-gen Lockhart console will be the affordable SKU, providing the next-gen Xbox experience in a package potentially around as powerful as the current Xbox One X. The Anaconda console will be more powerful and more expensive, providing a cutting-edge console gaming experience. We've also heard Microsoft is exploring technology to dramatically reduce loading times, potentially including SSD storage in the package.
Game core OS
We've been reporting on Microsoft's efforts surrounding Windows Core OS for a while now, and it does appear that there's a gaming angle to the puzzle. We've heard from multiple places that the next-gen Xbox consoles will be fully compatible with everything on your current Xbox One consoles, including your Xbox 360 library via backward compatibility. We've also heard that Microsoft is working on a new delivery method for games dubbed "Game Core," which the Scarlett family will support when it's ready, which extends the work Redmond has been doing on UWP.

Game Core should make it easier for developers to build games that function not only on Xbox "Scarlett" consoles but also Windows 10 PCs, further reducing the amount of work studios need to do to get games running across both platforms. We'll hopefully hear more about Game Core either at GDC in early 2019, or a bit later at Microsoft's Build conference.
https://www.windowscentral.com/what-doe ... est-rumors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So based on this.

S2 ($299 - $399)
8 core zen2+
6TF navi GPU
16GB 256bit GDDR6
Resolution target 1440p/4k CB.

X2 ($399 - $499)
8 core zen2+
12TF navi GPU
24GB 384bit GDDR6
Resolution target native 4k.

https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/195395/de ... k-and-roma" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Re: Next Gen Hardware Speculation Thread

Post by Froggy »

I like how they are positioning themselves with the games library and backwards compatibility. Also they finally have found away to create multiple powered consoles without fracturing the base and making it easier for devs so I'm looking forward to the anaconda.

Be interesting to see what Sony produce and hopefully they give us something beefy too, I don't think they'll go the dual console route though.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
flipswitch
que
que

Next Gen Hardware Speculation Thread

Post by flipswitch »

I thought MS were considering a stream only cloud console?
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

They are building a stream only cloud console, in the thurrot link he discusses the Anthem server rack cloud hardware.

I read somewhere else that MS were planning to use a AMD apu for a new surface tablet, this hardware was also meant to be used in cloud gaming boxes.

https://wccftech.com/cloud-focused-stre ... d-picasso/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There will no doubt be a cloud gaming APP ms will release to run on peoples android/iphones too. You can already pair you xbox controllers via bluetooth.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

I will be honestly surprised if the new console is Zen 2+ (or even Zen 2) based, given Zen+ has only recently made it to the semi-custom stage.
Mind you, if those Zen 2 rumours are correct, it'll be a fucking beast of a machine, and would explain why it's only an eight-core design.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

hopefully a few years away, xbone x is doing pretty well
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

The next-gen Lockhart console will be the affordable SKU, providing the next-gen Xbox experience in a package potentially around as powerful as the current Xbox One X.
What's the point of that? Surely even the next-gen 'S' should be more powerful than the current gen 'X'? :?
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Download only console can fuck right off.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

One thing I really hope is that Next Gen the updates are larger and much more frequent.
Candy Arse wrote:
Lepo the Legend gave me his pair for free.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

If that’s your concern pick up the cloud variation.
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

:down: Doesn't 2 models mean graphic quality will always be held back due to having to cater to the lesser hardware?
There's only 2 version this gen coz they fucked up the first one. I guess they accidnetly learned customers are happy to have 2 :|
Lepo5
Kyber Felted
Kyber Felted

Post by Lepo5 »

flipswitch wrote:If that’s your concern pick up the cloud variation.
Don't tell me what to do Bitch! (could be good advice, who knows)
Candy Arse wrote:
Lepo the Legend gave me his pair for free.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

F for Fake wrote::down: Doesn't 2 models mean graphic quality will always be held back due to having to cater to the lesser hardware?
There's only 2 version this gen coz they fucked up the first one. I guess they accidnetly learned customers are happy to have 2 :|
I mentioned this before, with 4k a lot of your performance is eaten up by resolution alone. If you render a game with the exact same effects/detail, a 6TF GPU will do it at 1440p, 12 TF GPU will do it at 4k at roughly the same performance. The 2x power differential basically is used on rendering the 2x number of pixels.

This is why current PC gamers love 1440p so much, with current high end GPUS you can run games at ultra details roughly 100-144fps. Trying to run the same games, same detail level at 4k brings you down to 60-80fps.

So the 2 skus are just addressing the fact that there is a substantial number of people out there with 1080p displays and they don't need the 4k extra grunt. Supersampling isn't a big benefit these days because temporal AA has gotten really good, even at 1440p base res, some downsampling can be done too for a 1080p display.