Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: Anthem

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Sucker, I only paid $4 :smoking:
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

I'm not going to miss Anthem, but as I'm sure I probably said earlier in the thread I would have preferred it to be at least moderately successful so Destiny had some competition. Hoping Outriders is good, even though it looks like more of a one-and-done thing like Borderlands... the demo's supposed to be out now but I can't find it on the PS store.
Ambrose Burnside
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

In some good news, it only took the loss of millions and millions of dollars for EA to see sense. Dragon Age 4 ditching planned GaaS features that nobody wanted or asked for.

EA: Buys out acclaimed single-player RPG studio Bioware
EA: Bioware fans, what do you want from Bioware games?
Bioware fans: acclaimed single player RPGs!
EA: multiplayer shooters, got it!
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Just spent an hour on Outriders, it feels worse than Anthem. There was nothing I liked about the game...
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Haha, fuck. Well I've found the demo so it's downloading now. Will see what I think.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Anthem

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

How was Outriders, Gamma?
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

Outriders was on my watch list.
I played the demo, and yeah, it's not for me.
RIGHTEOUS FURY
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Got around to trying the demo last night, echoing the sentiments of Twiz. My friend group has been looking for something we can all play and had our eyes on Outriders, but the voting was unanimous. Nobody is onboard.

Putting aside that it ran like absolute shit- I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and say that's because I was on PS4 -the moment to moment gameplay just isn't very fun. I'm not huge on cover shooters, but even taking that into account this strikes me as a below average one. The setting here is kind of cool, I didn't mind the characters and the monster design wasn't bad, but if I wanted to play something like this I'd grab one of the Gears games, they're infinitely more polished. The fact that many of the trappings of an MMO lite are there doesn't make the experience feel anything at all like Destiny or Borderlands. I'm guessing this shares more similarities with The Division, but I haven't played that myself. The character customisation manages to be even more bare bones than Destiny, which is impressive in it's own way. Pretty decent if slightly generic music, but it can't save the overall presentation. I did like that you can change the world level to affect the difficulty and rewards. That's about it.
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Continuing the Outriders chat. Started a few days ago. I rolled a Trickster and started down the Reaver tree which focuses on abilities over weapons and health. I was holding my own but TBH it was borderline for me. Some fun, some frustration. One ability in particular called Hunt The Prey was hit and miss. In the heat of combat it often wouldn't go off when requested and was causing me to die. Ended up respec'ing my skills down the Assassin tree which focuses on weapon damage, did away with Hunt The Prey in favour of another skill called Borrowed Time and it's totally turned the game around. With Borrowed Time I can set a point away from the fray, run into the middle with charged shields, drop a Slow Trap bubble which is essentially bullet time, pop Twisted Rounds which amps up my weapons damage even more, shred a pack of enemies to paste then teleport back to cover. It's fucking awesome.