Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Anthem

Post by Madmya »

Anyone tried the demo? Just curious about people's opinions. I've always though it's looked good but as time has gone on I've grown sceptical.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Re: Anthem

Post by pilonv1 »

Some guys I play NBA 2k with loved it and said it was better than Destiny from what they saw.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Been playing the demo in short bursts. It's a great looking game however not much to do due to server issues. The ability to fly is really cool. Not enough there to pass judgement yet but had one friend willing to play through it with me and kind of tired of Destiny at the moment.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
GameHED
10000 words or your money back!
10000 words or your money back!

Post by GameHED »

Yong Yea says it's repetitive
The game environment needs to be built to be interesting for gameplay. They can learn a lot from EDF.
In EDF you are mobbed by dozens upon dozens of enemies and boss enemies are ginormous Godzilla-sized threats to cities and stomp around all over the place knocking over buildings and being a massive pest. In one of theEDF games a giant transforming ship attacks you and as sole survivor of the atacks you can barely hold on long enough to penetrate the armor plating to get to the core to blow the shit out of it. But when it does blow up it causes massive explosion that feel very satisfying. Like something out of anime and possible world war III scenario against alien race.

You need interesting set pieces. Think of the best bits from the avengers movies. That's where people have work together. EDF is the best repetitive loot game and it's not required to be online.
IF these games had shittier graphics but bigger encounters and more numerous enemies that have lot of variety in mission they can attract attention. The problem is they are all stuck with the idea of bullet sponge gameplay. The only bullet sponge should be giant enemies that can kill you easily. And to take some of them down you can get into a giant mech if multiple giant enemies are around.

Game developers are stuck making everything realistic to show off how cool they can make the details. The Division tried that but it made no sense that you can hit something so many time and it not fall down.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin ... 432966105f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I say is they focus less on the micro detail and more on environmental interaction. (every encounter with boss is like survival horror situation where you are mostly avoiding being killed more than pumping attacks out. The encounter with that single boss stretches out to multiple missions as one of you is forced to retreat and it drags on like a fight in a dragon ball Z saga, that kinda thing)
eg.
encounter 1 you fight a giant creature that is too powerful for your weapons and you do 10% damage to it. The encounter ends because you are not strong enough to kill it only give it a nice back scratch to kill off the dead skin cells on its butt.

encounter 2 it's sleeping and you must set bombs to blow up the armor to soften it up. You use mech to protect you against the blast introducing more heavy weapons platform in the game. It's crippled enough to do some damage but you are inside cave so ou can't dodge and must tank the attacks. The cave is about to collapse on top of you and there is a time limit. You almost die and people have to dig you out.

encounter 3 the monster is still alive somewhere because it burrowed into the ground like a rabbit to protect itself. Now you got to seek it out in darkness with lots of lesser enemies in the cave to deal with that attack on sight. There are nests of alien monsters and dead animals that are its food lying around. Very scary but you get to the bottom and find the boss which allows you to shoot its face sticking out of the floor. Dodging attacks is easier but you got enemies inside the cave that are attacking you as you arebeing attacked by the monster.

encounter 4 its gone above ground and now you can fight in open space with motor bikes and aerial attacks but the boss without its armor is a LOT faster so it can attack with more damaging moves. (lighter weight of the creature with its shed skin means you must have better reflexes to avoid getting hit and equip better suit)

encounter 5 it's in the sea submsersed and using stealth attacks so you got to drive into its mouth and kill it from the inside. Now you can set up attack against weak points.

This would be just one giant monster and there should be dozens of these with many modifications to behavior, environments, sub enemies that it sends out of it to kill you and variation in the way it defends or attacks. And the set pieces would all differ in how to deal with it because it changes forms like those old arcade shoot em up where bosses throw different things at you to catch you off guard.
Having bullet sponge tiny enemies makes less sense. Having lots of micro base defense enemies that back up the boss does.
IT's about world design. (you should never rely on your character but more on gear which you obtain which changes the gameplay - instead of gear that is stronger than another set of gear it should be about which is the style of play I want and like a fighting game require skill to use that effectively because you trained how to apply it to each unique situation)

There is also the 10 commandments to consider of what a game should NOT do:
https://www.exclusivelygames.com/forum/ ... as-service" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If they can make repetitive game scary again, people will not get bored shooting stuff. Treat it how every level in a mario game is different from another. There are multiple goals to achieve and one run through is never enough to see it all. (dead rising did it with time limit and this gates off the weak guy from being able to rush through the game and seeing it all in the first go - the panic of not getting out of the place in time should always be a concern to the player IE whether because their suit has limit to its power which can run out, the weapons overheating, or the environment caving in on you or defenses becoming too hairy as more back up forces arrive to outnumber and outclass you. This add sense of danger so you have a REASON to upgrade to save time)

What made Warframe interesting is the overall feel of fluidity. IT's an action game. Make the enemy encounters as interesting as arcade bosses from classic japanese titles where there is almost puzzle element to killing things. Figuring out what the puzzle is for each bullet sponge boss means you can't just use brute force to win. Enemies should be more powerful than you and level up as you level up to adjust to your play. (eg if you keep abusing one weapon type it throws out a counter weapon to that weapon to make it unsafe to just rely on that alone which gives other players openings to attack it with their specialty gear. Yes the bad guys can think and react to you too! Not just stay static. But overall you can outclass with brute force and choose to still play to your strengths to challenge your abililty to still deal with its countermeasures using the single weapon type if you are good enough - sort of like choosing the weakest character in a fighting game despite it taking longer to finish the oponent compared to one that has the most abusive overpowered moves. You may get less gear when your grind because it takes longer but your skill as a player increased)

related:
Be careful about the publisher (will they go from cosmetics to pay to win after review cycle has ended and its safe to piss the players off? time will tell..)
"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: OBY83

Post by ObSoLeTe »

Anthem demo was ok. im a massive Destiny fan,ive played 1000s of hours on both D1 and D2 and im not sure if Anthem will have the same impact. Also Im Back :nana:

"Old But Not Obsolete" - A.Schwarzenegger
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

New & improved obsolete? :D
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

He's the OG Destiny version.

I find it hilarious that whenever there's a new online shooter RPG out, people say it's better than Destiny... but everything is always compared to Destiny because it is the greatest.

GOTG.
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by ObSoLeTe »

:D for about 4 years it couldnt sustain the sign in for some reason, it would except that i signed in then it would reload the page and it wanted me to sign back in again :loco:

so i decided to try it again just this last month and i finally managed to stay signed in. so i dont know what was going on :lol:

:btw:

same old obsolete channel same old obsolete time :P

flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Welcome Back Mr Obsolete.
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

ObSoLeTe wrote::D for about 4 years it couldnt sustain the sign in for some reason, it would except that i signed in then it would reload the page and it wanted me to sign back in again :loco:
so i decided to try it again just this last month and i finally managed to stay signed in. so i dont know what was going on :lol:
:btw:
same old obsolete channel same old obsolete time :P
That happens to me when I try to login via the reply button.
I just login through the login button on the far right of the menu options at the top and I'm fine.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I sunk a lot of time into this over the weekend (I have Origin Premier) and I actually like it.

Heavily unoptimised though, it will need a few patches to bring performance up to snuff.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Same gave it a bash on the 10hr trial through EA access on the Xbox. Game looks so damn nice and really enjoying it. Could be up there with Destiny. Will be interesting to see what they add over the year to keep the replay ability up.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Early reviews aren't looking too great, seems a bit ho hum, maybe more time in the oven needed. Might be better to pickup in a few months once they really finish it, common theme these days.

TechRadar: 3/5
Anthem is an immensely fun game wrapped up in a dull story and a repetitive end-game. It will no doubt get better as time goes on, but this isn’t a great starting point.
Boomstick Gaming: 6.9/10
It’s not quite the endlessly fun online grind-a-thon experience that will have you logging on nightly for months, but instead, Anthem is a fairly competent action RPG shooter.
VG247 - No Score
I went into Anthem with an open mind. It’s a game I wanted to succeed from a studio I’ve always been fond of. Unfortunately, it’s everything everyone feared at reveal. It’s a hollow experience that’s been designed to appeal to the widest market possible while squeezing more money out of those who are hooked in by its doggy treat design.
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Already nearly 50% off and not even released :lol:
Twiztid Elf
Team Wowboy
XBL ID: Koco Savage
PSN ID: giantenemycrabb

Post by Twiztid Elf »

"Doggy treat design".
I believe that writer just coined a new term.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Won't get it because it killed Mass Effect and massively delayed Dragon Age 4.

Fuck this MP games as a service trend.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

There was an article floating around the other day saying next gen is going to focus more on mp. If true then they obviously want to get a slice of that dlc pie. I hope it's not true because there can be too much of a flooded market and something would have to give.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

So hey, I deleted Anthem. This game is DOA.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Yeah, not really feeling it. Signed up to Premier for a month for just that game but can't see myself investing the kind of time it that I have like Destiny or the like. Glad I got Metro over this. Not least of all because it is pathetically buggy. Can't even log in most times.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I'm going back to Destiny 2
ObSoLeTe
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by ObSoLeTe »

i feel if this game came out before destiny in 2014 it would of been accepted, but destiny for all its flaws does things really well and the shooting mechanics are second to none. lol dont blame yah candy

lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Angry joe dropped his review, it's not good at all.
Spoiler!
4/10.
The game continues to slide on Metacritic.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

Was playing it over the weekend and the weapon drops are so fucken broken. There is meant to be a variety of granades, yet I received nothing but sticky granades, at one stage I had 26 granades in my collection I had 25 stickies and 1 flame grenade which I had from the first mission. Then it took me at least four hours to get an actual machine gun type drop. I was stuck with nothing but one shot rifles or a 3 shot rifle which I had received as part of a DLC pack. I had over 40 gun drops and all where of the same type of rifle. Not a single shotgun, machine gun, light machine gun or pistol.

And that fucken story, boring as shit. And the random cunts around the world talking about absolutely pointless shit....it's painful.

I wanted to go back to Destiny 2
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Anthem MC avg 61. ME:A MC avg 71. Ouch.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

It’s a beautiful looking game but it feels so corporate. Worst of all, it’s boring. It’s a shame because the flying and movement is so awesome.