Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Re: Google Cloud based Console - Stadia

Post by t0mby »

What was the Google eye thing that was a flash in the pan? It was like a little square lens that went over your eye so you could browse the net while walking down the road.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

t0mby wrote: 03 Oct 2022 04:03 pm What was the Google eye thing that was a flash in the pan?
Google Plus?
t0mby wrote: It was like a little square lens that went over your eye so you could browse the net while walking down the road.
Oh. Google Glass. I would absolutely use one of those if I could fit it to any pair of glasses/sunnies. I can see using it for navigation in particular.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

unfnknblvbl wrote: 05 Oct 2022 09:15 pm
t0mby wrote: 03 Oct 2022 04:03 pm What was the Google eye thing that was a flash in the pan?
Google Plus?
t0mby wrote: It was like a little square lens that went over your eye so you could browse the net while walking down the road.
Oh. Google Glass. I would absolutely use one of those if I could fit it to any pair of glasses/sunnies. I can see using it for navigation in particular.
Did you ever use it? I did, navigating with it would have been a nightmare.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
unfnknblvbl
googlebomber
googlebomber
XBL ID: unfunk
Steam ID: unfnknblvbl

Post by unfnknblvbl »

No. I probably would have hated it if I actually did try it, but there's other applications where it's gone gangbusters - apparently it's great for factories and warehouses.
The sky calls to us; if we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I dunno, I tried them riding, I tried them shopping etc and just you couldn't do what you were doing and read anything on the screen. Then it was limited to how much you could do hands free/with swipe controls as well. Plus, everyone could see you had them especially as I must have looked like had cerebal palsy at the lights on Nth Tce/King William after work trying to see what was what when I was testing recording my rides from them. Weird eye movements + random arm waving and swiping.

"That guys got those glasses on, you know those Google things" etc lol

I actually don't even know what happened to them. Cool idea, absolutely woeful product. Could probably do it way better now just with the better tech in the short time since but I can't imagine anyone keen after the financial hit they must have been to Google.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Lots.of backlash since it had a built in camera people could record others without their knowledge (like a phone isn't much different) and people were recording in public restrooms. Places started banning people that were wearing them. They never went to mass market. Based on this article there were only around 8000 sold and only to certain people.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/ ... ass-141852
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.