Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Playstation 5 - First deets announced

Post by t0mby »

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/entertai ... anger.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The console, which isn't officially titled 'PlayStation 5' yet, will feature a solid-state drive (SSD), backwards compatibility with PS4 games, and is likely to be released in 2020

Cerny says the next-gen PlayStation will support 8K graphics and virtual reality functionality, too.

Tech experts will be interested in the details of what SSD Sony will put in the PlayStation 5, but so far that remains secret - but Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD currently on the market for PCs.

He was more forthcoming with the tech specs of the next-gen console's brain.

"The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD's Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company's new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon's Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments," reports Wired.

"While ray tracing is a staple of Hollywood visual effects and is beginning to worm its way into high-end processors and Nvidia's recently announced RTX line, no game console has been able to manage it. Yet."
SSD and backwards compatability is great news. I've never had a problem with b/c, just thought it was weird to remove it completely, obviously with Microsofts work on the Bone with b/c has proved its what gamers want, especially as it encourages early adopters.

There's a rumour that Sony are working on a wireless VR headset, but let's hope the current PSVR is supported too.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Re: Playstation 5 - First deets announced

Post by lestat »

Navi is going to launch at E3.

https://wccftech.com/rumor-amd-navi-deb ... rformance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So we'll definitely learn more about next gen systems very soon.

The details are very vague, no memory spec listing, no clocks or TF numbers. Sony fishing for MS to leak their numbers first?

I expect these systems to be around 2070 level in performance. ~8-10TF. Ray tracing will be very niche and selective in use, it's a huge performance drain right now on PC cards that are much more powerful than what will be in next gen consoles.

It would also be nice for them to expand what the BC will involve, will it be select titles, will they need patching etc?
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Next-gen is slowly getting closer!

MS will likely unveil at e3?

I cannot see this at $399 with a super fast SSD at 1tb.

8 cores again. I was expecting more as nearly half is reserved for the OS, unless they have dedicated hardware for it.

Can’t wait until more details leak.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

BC with PS4 games and SSD for storage? Sold. Would hope there is a perform boost for older games - at least higher frame rates. Expect it to be stupidly expensive at launch but will buy.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

flipswitch wrote:Next-gen is slowly getting closer!

8 cores again. I was expecting more as nearly half is reserved for the OS, unless they have dedicated hardware for it.

Looking at zen power usage, I'm expecting it to be 8 cores 8 threads ryzen otherwise they won't fit in the 20-30w power budget they have. Expecting clocks to be around 2.5ghz-3ghz boost.

It's an improvement but still won't compete with desktop gaming PCs which have 100w power budgets.

The top desktop Ryzen 3000 chip is rumored to be a 12 core 24 thread part with 5ghz boosts.

Not really excited to be there day 1 with next gen systems, with content being so slow to be released, thinking I'll just stick with PC from now on. By the time 2020 rolls around my PC will be significantly better than what next gen systems have.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

lestat wrote:
flipswitch wrote:Next-gen is slowly getting closer!

Not really excited to be there day 1 with next gen systems, with content being so slow to be released, thinking I'll just stick with PC from now on. By the time 2020 rolls around my PC will be significantly better than what next gen systems have.
Normally I'd be the same in regards to jumping in on day 1 but b/c means a lot to me, hell, I'm still playing PS3 games from my backlog and am only limited as to which games support the DS4 because my only DS3 is highly unreliable (triangle presses randomly). I've still got PS4 games I've not finished but go back to like Alien Isolation, Witcher 3 to name a couple. I don't want 3 consoles hooked up.

Besides, I haven't bought a console at launch since the original Xbox.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Sony giving us a more powerful traditional console, Microsoft trying to change what a console is.

So just like this gen.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Unsure on this until more specs but I reckon it's shot to Microsoft with the backwards compatability and the disk drive. Microsoft is again pushing the disk drive less xbone and rumoured (maybe confirmed) non beast xbox 2 is going to be sans disk drive then it leaves the only choice to get the beast version of that. My only hope with Microsoft is that they need to go a lot bigger to show a leap from xbox one x to xbox 2 beast and we'll get something that will beat this easily I think.

Are Sony gonna go the two consoles route from launch as well though? Wouldn't be shocked if we get ps5 and ps5 pro.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I think of the consoles are quite powerful day 1 then probably no to a Pro released later. The whole reason of the Pro and X was upping the power enough to make 4k playable really, wasn't it? I mean, 4k only really started to gain momentum just after the consoles released and they didn't feel like much of a leap over previous gen.

I'll wait and see what the final details are but I expect they'll have to be quite powerful to warrant 8k especially if we're to expect 60fps.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

GT7 was rumoured to be a launch title.Would go head to head with Forza 8.
Madmya
Forum Faggot
Forum Faggot
XBL ID: Madmya
Steam ID: Madmya

Post by Madmya »

Launch title, turns out to be slimmed down edition, real game comes out mid gen.
pilonv1
Eels - regular season champions
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

Can't imagine this launching at less than $999
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

pilonv1 wrote:Can't imagine this launching at less than $999
Just trade in the PS4 and a couple of games to knock off a few hundred. :lol:
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Just get another job!

I'll get a PS5 as soon as there's an exclusive game I really want, so I'm anticipating 6-12 months after launch. Possibly sooner if there's an improvement when playing PS4 games, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

There are a few standout PS4 games I still haven't found time to play so backward compatibility is a very welcome addition, and it'll be nice to have a buttload of PSN titles roll over to the new console. I really hope it's a "no bullshit, every game works" situation.
General Chaos
Beano's Minion
Beano's Minion

Post by General Chaos »

lol @ Sony promising a GT at launch.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Multiple Insiders = CBOAT :lol:
pilonv1
XBL ID: pilonv1
PSN ID: pilonv1
Steam ID: pilonv1

Post by pilonv1 »

General Chaos wrote:lol @ Sony promising a GT at launch.
probably like that training demo they launched early for PS4 rite
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

flipswitch wrote:Multiple Insiders = CBOAT :lol:
:lol: There's a name I haven't heard in years. He was pretty accurate though.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

What do guys reckon will be the tflop amount of next-gen consoles?

Most are thinking 12tflop.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

My guess is 8-10 tflop.

Navi 10 based, 56CUs, ~1400-1500mhz clocks.

Current refresh consoles on 16nm are 1000-1100mhz. We saw with radeon VII 16nm->7nm was good for around 200-300mzh extra boost clock, power usage didn't really fall all that much to counter the boost clock.

We know navi supports 256bit GDDR6, so I'm expecting around 16GB GDDR6. I'll be surprised to see 32GB just because GDDR6 is still very pricey, I'm not even sure they make the modules large enough for 32GB on 256bit bus yet. Current video cards are 8GB for 256bit bus, so 16GB might be pushing it already.

Just looking at Samsung GDDR6 site.

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/dram/gddr6/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

looks like they have some 512M modules now, so 16GB on 256bit bus is possible. Can't see any 1024bit modules on any roadmap so I would say it's unlikely for next year. Micron only have 256M modules, no hint of 512M from them, guessing there is no demand from video cards makers for them due to cost.
guttermouth
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member
XBL ID: Recipe For Hate
PSN ID: Recipe4Hate

Post by guttermouth »

So both consoles will be announced and shown this E3 with release expected late 2020, is that everyone's guess...
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

https://www.polygon.com/2018/11/15/1809 ... conference" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sony won’t be at E3 this year.
PlayStation is skipping E3 2019

First time in the show’s 24-year history
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Maybe it's reverse psychology and Sony suddenly appear after MS and steal the show.

Again. :lol:
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

I don't think anyone will give concrete specs this E3, still too far out to know with certainly what clocks/yields will be like.

7nm got push back to later this year for Ryzen/Navi PC parts and the latest info points to 7nm not being the big win in performance/watt like it was supposed to. Like 20% improvement over 14/16nm finfet, with a lot of those gains completely lost at higher clocks.

These are the latest rumors around Navi right now. Considering the poor execution of AMD in the PC GPU space, I wouldn't be too surprised if they turn out to be true.