So um, anyone expereinced with SCART video cables?

Fanboys report for duty.

Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

So um, anyone expereinced with SCART video cables?

Post by BOOMY »

I have an MD1 that is modded from years ago that I sniped on ebay for cheap. Because of the way that console outputs video; the 60hz mod will not output in colour unless you use RGB (i think? correct me if I totally messed that up).
Anyway I was told it will work with a SCART cable. I finally got myself a beast of a CRT which is huge, widescreen, flat and has SCART (and every other kind input too for that matter, even s video).
I hooked up the MD1 via scart and it is flickering and black and white on both 50 and 60hz as well as eng/jap settings.
It is my assumption there must be some syncing issues based on what I'm looking at. Is there more than one syncing standard for scart? Would it work if i used a different cable? wtf is making this happen?
for all intents and purposes the console is working fine and can do 50hz/ENGLISH via RF just fine.
Help anyone?
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Re: So um, anyone expereinced with SCART video cables?

Post by t0mby »

The only consoles I had experience using scart with was the 3DO, PSone, Saturn, Xbox and 360. I had a couple of bad batches of cheap leads where it either flickered or not amd ran in black and white. I did end up getting it sorted, but if it wasn't an official cable (PSone and 360) then I had to try a couple.

Is VGA an option? Do they do an aftermarket one for the MD?
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

The scart connector can carry regular composite video in and out. It's kinda a multi connector of sorts.

https://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/technical ... rt-wiring/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So because the tv has a scart connector, doesn't necessary mean it can support RGB sync over it.

Looks like the TV is just trying to display the composite signal being sent on the SCART cable. That's why you get black and white and the sync is messed up.

FYI I used scart for years on my neogeo/ps1/ps2/sega saturn/xbox. If you own one of those systems, get a scart rgb cable for them and test it out. It could be a bad mod.

What's the brand/make of the TV?
F for Fake
XBL ID: Thread Killer
PSN ID: Cool_-_Z
Steam ID: Bell end

Post by F for Fake »

I'll check with my Dad.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Panasonic.

AFAIK, vga is not an option.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

In that case I'm leaning towards the mod being bad or bad cable like t0mby said.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Heaps of experience but never an issue so my presence here is as useful as my post.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Glad I could help
emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

What lestat said. The TV is probably not expecting a RGB signal, and the SCART cable may not be wired to output composite as well.

Either that, or there are sync issues. There are a few ways a cable can handle sync, including sync on Luma, sync over composite video, or pure CSYNC. If the cable is a cheap one, it's probably sync over composite video, which pushes the sync plus all the composite video channels down the same set of pins, which can make for a decidedly shitty output depending on the TV.

I just got myself an OSSC, so I've been spending a bit of time trying to find what SCART I have and remembering how all this stuff works.
BOOMY
Verication guaranteed!
Verication guaranteed!

Post by BOOMY »

Ok geeks, based on the poor amount of info I have supplied on my current cable do you think ill get success with this one as it has composite sync?

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/seg ... -pro-build" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Level up with a PACKAPUNCH PRO RGB SCART! This cable supplies an RGB video signal and stereo sound from your Sega Mega Drive / Genesis model 1 which is far superior than the original video cable. This cable is screened to minimise external interference and cable crosstalk between signals. This is achieved by using our new PACKAPUNCH cable which has individually shielded wires for RED, GREEN, BLUE, SYNC, audio left and right and also the DC voltage line which is used for RGB selection on your video receiving equipment. This high quality cable supplies a composite sync (CSYNC) signal from the console and is correctly attenuated to reduce the high amplitude of a CSYNC signal using a 470 ohm resistor on the sync line. Wired for composite sync (CSYNC) to give the best picture possible, and also may reduce the jail-bar effect*
emptyvessel
XBL ID: emptyvessel79
PSN ID: emptyvessel79
Steam ID: emptyvessel

Post by emptyvessel »

Depends on your TV and whether its SCART connection is wired to take RGB, Composite or both. CSYNC cables from memory only have the RGB pins enabled, they only use the composite pins for sync and don't actually output a composite signal.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Like emptyvessell said, you want the cable to only send sync H/V over the composite pin. That way the TV should recognise the RGB signal properly and not try and use the composite video.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/com ... osite-sync" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like the current cable you have is supplying full composite video over pin 20 which is confusing your TV. The cable you posted appears to be only sending sync information on pin 20, which is what you want.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

I bought a stack of cables from that mob to use with my OSSC - all with great success.