Moderators: GreyWizzard, pilonv1

Ambrose Burnside
All accusations are unsubstantiated
XBL ID: AmbroseBurnside
Steam ID: Ambrose Burnside

Re: Watch Dogs Legion

Post by Ambrose Burnside »

Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Peppermint Lounge
The End
XBL ID: peppermintl2k5
Steam ID: peppermintl2k5
EpicGS ID: peppermintl2k5
Battle.net ID: Punchanella#11145

Post by Peppermint Lounge »

Finally time to upgrade the 980ti, Ambrose?

I'm trying to decide what to play next. Maybe I'll give Watch Dogs a go. 2 seems to get the nod around here but I do prefer the darker look of the first game.
Ambrose Burnside

Peppermint Lounge wrote:Finally time to upgrade the 980ti, Ambrose?

I'm trying to decide what to play next. Maybe I'll give Watch Dogs a go. 2 seems to get the nod around here but I do prefer the darker look of the first game.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that a copy of this will come with the 3000 range, but I could be misremembering something.

Very tempted by the 3070.
Currently playing: Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition (PC), Far Cry 4 (PC), FIFA 23 (Series X)
Ambrose Burnside

Review embargo lifted.
Watch Dogs Legion takes Ubisoft’s open-world hacker series in an interesting new direction by letting you swap between the inhabitants of a near-future London almost at will. There’s enough variety in the way different characters play to make that a good tradeoff for not having one traditionally progressing character with a fleshed-out personality, and playing with permadeath enabled ratchets up the tension of infiltrating heavily guarded areas. On top of that, the map is detailed and loaded with environmental puzzles to solve with a little help from your drones. Legion is technically a little rough, but its sandbox-style approach is a good idea that sets Watch Dogs’ moment-to-moment gameplay even further apart from the GTA series.

8/10
IGN
The Good

Powerful anti-fascist and hopeful message about unity and perseverance in the face of adversity
Fantastic hacking and recruitment gameplay that rewards flexibility and curiosity
Fun operatives that offer some needed comic relief, but also make for interesting playable characters in the open world
Well-realized London that shows off a diverse culture and art scene

The Bad

Overall game structure can be somewhat inconsistent, which doesn't do enough to highlight its main story and the sense of urgency
Repetitive missions and characters that often have you revisit locations and objectives on a repeated basis

8/10
Politics in videogames? Snowflakes won't like it but I love the modern Wolfenstein series so this'll be right up my alley. V for Vendetta ya'll.

Gamespot

I would have enjoyed Watch Dogs Legion so much more, if it had just leaned into full Guy Ritchie nonsense with its tone. I really do appreciate what it’s trying to do with its story, but the end result is like Jason Statham beating you to death with a book of Nietzsche’s aphorisms. It’s still Jason fucking Statham, and you’re still getting battered.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun

I get what Rock, Paper, Shotgun are saying, but 1) 99% of videogames feature the good guys murdering hundreds of NPCs 2) Guy Ritchie directing a Black Mirror episode sounds fucking awesome, and not a negative at all for me :lol:
The review embargo for Watch Dogs: Legion has also just lifted, but given the issues we've had - and the imminence of a fix - we'll be holding off posting until we've been able to experience more of the game, and when we can verify that the forthcoming hotfix works. We're aiming to get it to you early next week - but in the meantime, if you're looking to pick this up on Xbox One X, it's best to exercise some caution.
Eurogamer

Eurogamer not releasing their review until a gamebreaking bug that only affects the Xbox One X version (for some reason) is fixed. That version is also the one that Ubisoft recommended to reviewers. Oops. Hotfix due 30th October.

Not sure which version to get just yet, Xbox or PC. I have Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Xbox One, and it runs great on my One S. Like I have zero complaints, I am actually amazed how well it runs. A bit wary of how well optimised this'll be on PC. Guess I'll wait for Digital Foundry's analysis.

It's also cheaper on console thanks to the wonders of a digital-only PC release. Fuck you Black Mirror.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:It's also cheaper on console thanks to the wonders of a digital-only PC release. Fuck you Black Mirror.
Welcome to your digital only future. :lol:
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

t0mby wrote:
Ambrose Burnside wrote:It's also cheaper on console thanks to the wonders of a digital-only PC release. Fuck you Black Mirror.
Be like $40-50 in no time, better too because all the bugs will be ironed out by then.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Candy Arse
Elite Ginger

Post by Candy Arse »

Rorschach wrote:
t0mby wrote:
Be like $40-50 in no time, better too because all the bugs will be ironed out by then.
:fight:

Always funny when people flail around in an attempt to convince that you'll get better value and gaming experiences on a console.
Ambrose Burnside

This isn't PC vs console, it's digital only vs digital and retail releases.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is still $60 on UPlay. It's half that at JB, but you can only get it on console at retail.

Based on that I daresay Watch Dogs will always be more expensive on PC, at least until they're giving it away for free on Epic Store. When historically games were always cheaper on PC.

Cyberpunk is being released at retail on PC, and surprise, surprise it's cheaper than the console versions.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

It'll be a cheap $20 bucks in no time like 1 and 2 because snowflakes like Ambrose are a small minority who want to rush out to buy an average game series.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

:lol:

Do you like digital monopolies?

I know Madmya's a fan, I didn't realise so many liked being bent over.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

No I'm saying the last two watch dogs were heavily discounted at retail very quickly after launch. My bet is it ends up on Game Pass in the end. Digital only sucks but it seems Watch Dogs still does to - " Legion is technically a little rough" they are incapable of getting it running properly.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

Being cheaper at retail was my point all along. It's cheaper at retail now, if it's discounted quickly at retail I bet it won't on UPlay, and if Assassin's Creed Odyssey is any indication, it will be cheaper for years to come. Assassin's Creed retail is half the digital price. But retail's not an option for PC.

I did forget about Game Pass though. Going to be a game changer.
Last edited by Ambrose Burnside on 29 Oct 2020 04:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Watch Dogs: Legion is already overheating XBOX ONE series X.

Here’s a little.
Watch Dogs: Legion is the hot new game this week, but it looks like that was taken a little too literally on Xbox One X. Multiple reviewers have reported that the pre-release version of the game has overheated their console, shutting it down and preventing them from making further progress in the story.

This was the case for Eurogamer during its time reviewing the game, and Ubisoft told the website that a patch is already scheduled to launch on October 30. The issue occurs during the early stages of the campaign and forces the console to shut down in order to cool itself. Certain other games such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Borderlands 3 have had issues with shutting down the Xbox One X, but these were somewhat random in comparison.
Full story here:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/watch ... 0-6483843/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ambrose Burnside

Multiple games, multiple developers. Gotta push that 4k envelope no matter what I guess.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Ambrose Burnside wrote:Being cheaper at retail was my point all along. It's cheaper at retail now, if it's discounted quickly at retail I bet it won't on UPlay, and if Assassin's Creed Odyssey is any indication, it will be cheaper for years to come. Assassin's Creed retail is half the digital price. But retail's not an option for PC.

I did forget about Game Pass though. Going to be a game changer.
Yeah I'm not a digital only guy at all. Steams great but still means old games are at a premium price before the sales most of the time. This gen going to the shops and the amount of bargains to be had with quick discounts to move inventory, especially near the end as the gen has dragged on and there's so many games has been great. Even crap like Just Dance 2020 I got new for the kids for like 25 bucks or something a month ago plus many great games at 10 - 20 bucks. Also my problem with digital is I buy games I never play, I'm not sure it's because I don't have that physical connection or what, buy them and then just never get to them.

Despite my trolling, the idea for this game was great just the execution again appears to not match the hype with Watch Dogs. I'll give it a burl when it gets to Game Pass.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Ambrose Burnside

Everyone else in this thread seems to have enjoyed Watchdogs 2 at least but I guess everyone has different tastes.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

Yeah think I'm on my own there. It's more the promise of what the games gonna be and then what it actually is plus the poor performance. No doubt I am jaded by the first but I like the setting of this one and the idea but always seemed to good to be true to pull off the original vision as it was sold.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

I see even Ozzyman is on the take with a video review of Legion. Man, that guy must be doing alright.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Post by lestat »

Reading the performance thread on Era, game looks to run like hot garbage even on 3080 cards. It doesn't even look visually all that great. Explains why this is the only ubisoft game that won't do 4k/60fps on next gen consoles, you can't even come close to do it reliably on the most powerful of PC hardware.

Also hearing DLSS doesn't look to great in this game, doesn't work properly with reflections, blurring stuff and ghosting/glitches.

Most of the praise DLSS has received has been in games with a very repetitive look/art style. Probably much easier to get a model trained on those predictable games to look good.
t0mby
Cheats

Post by t0mby »

Rushed out to meet launch day that's all.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Looks playing this on SeriesX might be the best way, ray tracing with a consistent 4k30fps, direct storage for no stutters while streaming.
Ambrose Burnside

Seems to run at a solid 30fps on all consoles. But screen tearing is an issue on One S/PS4. No issues on that front with One X or PS4 Pro.

As lestat noted, PC optimisation appears poor.

Unsure how patches will improve that. Far Cry 5 runs well on my PC, but I didn't buy it at launch so I don't know how many patches it took to get there.

There are also new GeForce drivers out for Legion. I'm not sure if the videos online used them.
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Going to sign up for Uplay Plus for the month while on leave - play this and Valhalla. Will take the sting out of no Cyberpunk.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
flipswitch
que
que

Watch Dogs Legion

Post by flipswitch »

I’ve been following this game on YT, lots of people got it early, and all footage played on PC looked rough. Did they screw over PC gamers for next-gen?

Watch Dogs Legions on XBSX not even 4K according to pixel counters at B3D

Could be 1440p

Way to go Ubisoft.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/watc ... st-2170046" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks to @chris1515 for linking me this thread. I counted another frame here later in the Trailer and got a 7/10 count, so slightly above 1440p once. So Yeah, "4K"
Temporal upsampling +DRS is really nice and all, but Yeah, Marketing is going to be playing it fast and loose with calling games 4K when really... They are not 4K in that strickt sense.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

It's nothing new for ubisoft games on PC, they're always very CPU hungry and difficult to run at 60fps, even when you manage to get there, there are usually stuttering/frame time issues that ruin it.

They just don't design their games to run more than 30fps usually, this is why Valhalla is a very interesting break from their usual pattern.

I was wondering if they're using some reconstruction technique for ray tracing on consoles, they don't have DLSS so they need to do something else, I vaguely remember watchdogs 2 have a particular technique for temporal reconstruction.