XBL ID: grlestat
PSN ID: grlestat
Steam ID: grlestat
Friend Code: SW-5550-6241-2054
EpicGS ID: grlestat
Battle.net ID: grlestat#1153

Sony acquires Insomniac games

Post by lestat »

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 03758.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SAN MATEO, Calif., Aug. 19, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Interactive Entertainment ("SIE") announced today that SIE has entered into definitive agreements to acquire Insomniac Games, Inc. ("Insomniac Games"), a leading game developer and long-time partner of SIE, in its entirety. Insomniac Games is the developer of PlayStation®4's (PS4™) top-selling Marvel's Spider-Man and the hugely popular PlayStation® Ratchet & Clank franchise. Upon completion of the acquisition, Insomniac Games will join the global development operation of Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios ("SIE WWS"). Insomniac Games is the 14th studio to join the SIE WWS family. This addition furthers SIE's continued commitment to creative excellence and innovation in game development exclusively for the PlayStation platforms.
Not totally surprising I guess, they never achieved any success outside of the Sony umbrella, so it only made sense to make the marriage official. Curious if they're just going to be a Spiderman factory now.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Re: Sony acquires Insomniac games

Post by Froggy »

Yep will just pump out Spiderman maybe reuse the engine for some clone as well.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

Spider-Man and some new IPs will do. Some even think they should return to Resistance franchise.
t0mby
Cheats
XBL ID: GenerationX 360
PSN ID: Weak_Spot
Steam ID: Gen X

Post by t0mby »

They could make another Sunset Overdrive, unless MS own the IP.
flipswitch wrote:Spider-Man and some new IPs will do. Some even think they should return to Resistance franchise.
R3 was the only good game in the franchise, but boy what a game it was.
selfish wrote:Being a massive fanboy and trying to hide it is Lestat's worst bottleneck.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

Well Sony/Disney just terminated their MCU licensing deal. So Spiderman is no longer in the marvel cinematic universe and this will affect future spiderman game licensing since they're no longer in bed with each other.

I think the Insomniac purchase was a way to block Marvel Games from directly hiring Insomniac to make spiderman multiplatform. Maybe Insomniac screwed themselves out of a huge 3rd party spiderman game deal here.

It's no coincidence these bits of news dropped very close to each other.
lestat
Pixel Count Lestat
Pixel Count Lestat

Post by lestat »

$229m, seems lower than expected. I guess the problem with insomniac as a studio is they don't own a lot of IP, most of their output belonged to Sony to begin with.

Mainly cash payment also suggests that the original founders eventually might want to walk away, no golden handcuffs.
Froggy
BLD4LBE
BLD4LBE

Post by Froggy »

I think they most likely got them cheaper because they paid cash. If someone were to offer to buy the business I'm in and offered cash they'd definitely get a better deal due to zero risk on the otherside of you losing a huge portion of your sale price in a sale involving shares/performance etc.
Vzzzbx, you lose again!
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Old bump but had something weird happened last night. Powered on the PS4 to start playing FFVII Remake and I saw Spider-Man on my dashboard. I am positive it wasn't there the other day when I installed the data disc for FFVII. Immediately odd because it was a digital copy, had been downloaded to my system and was playable as a full game. The weird thing is, I never bought it and I never overtly downloaded it. Quick question - has Spider-Man been a part of PSN Plus recently? I think it was on my wishlist for the longest time but never got around to buying it because my backlog is bad enough already. Does Sony randomly gift games? I have never heard of it happening before. Not complaining at all and won't delete until completed on the off chance it's not in my Library.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
flipswitch
que
que

Post by flipswitch »

I don’t think it has actually.

Does anyone else use your PS4 or accounts?
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

No, and there is no associated purchase history attached to it. It's really odd. I just checked, it's still on my wishlist for purchase. Usually if you own the game it is greyed out. To my knowledge there is no full game demo or free weekend at the moment.
ANATHEMATIC ILLIMITED, TRANSFATAL EXPRESS, VIRAL INCORPORATED, INTERNATIONAL EPIDEMICS & MENSTRUAL MOTORCYCLES.
Gamma
Dot Eater

Post by Gamma »

Score!
Rorschach
Very Regular Member
Very Regular Member

Post by Rorschach »

Heh, going to log in later and see if it is still there. My luck Sony made a glitch and removed it from my PS4.